• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

I can't name it what??

Status
Not open for further replies.

HM02gon

Waiting...
I've found a way to work around the censorship.

I spent 10 minutes trying to catch a Pelipper (DO NOT ASK WHY)

Named it as.sbird. Just add periods and the game has no idea.

CrusherTheFeraligatr

Strider: Spider King
Why won't bug work? I was trying to organize my boxes and it wouldn't let me name a box grass bug. I thought the grass was the problem, but that was allowed. Had to call it insect.

Had one recently on Omega Ruby. I caught Latios as part of the storyline, and since my friend and I are on a huge Star Wars kick right now, I decided to name it after one of the Jedi.

Specifically, Plo Koon.

The game would not take it, for reasons I still cannot fathom.

It accepted 'Plo.' It accepted 'Koon.' It would not accept 'Plo Koon.'

The real kicker? It accepted it when I put it in as 'PloKoon.'

Prince Umbreon

Starfish and Coffee
Had one recently on Omega Ruby. I caught Latios as part of the storyline, and since my friend and I are on a huge Star Wars kick right now, I decided to name it after one of the Jedi.

Specifically, Plo Koon.

The game would not take it, for reasons I still cannot fathom.

It accepted 'Plo.' It accepted 'Koon.' It would not accept 'Plo Koon.'

The real kicker? It accepted it when I put it in as 'PloKoon.'

'Koon' is a super old derogatory term for a black person. I don't even think people use it anymore.

Blaze The Movie Fan

Reviewer and PokéFan
I've found a way to work around the censorship.

I spent 10 minutes trying to catch a Pelipper (DO NOT ASK WHY)

Named it as.sbird. Just add periods and the game has no idea.

That is not really the solution since dots make the name look incredibly awkward.

OshyHikari

c l a r i t y
I apparently heard "May" was blocked, not sure if it's true but it's very weird given that it's the name of Hoenn's female protagonist. Guess that means she should have gotten a name retcon then hahahaha.

'Koon' is a super old derogatory term for a black person. I don't even think people use it anymore.

I... did not know that. Turns out 'coon' is the offensive word, and of course it extends to alternate spellings. Still doesn't make a lick of sense why 'PloKoon' was accepted, especially since words like 'Alohomora' are still banned because it just so happens to contain an offensive string. I guess in the end it's not a big deal, and I lucked out being able to get the name I wanted anyway, but it's still kind of irritating, especially when other stories come up, like 'Ashton' not being accepted because of three freakin' letters that shouldn't be offensive in the slightest. And as if we needed any more evidence of this broken censor, earlier tonight I found a Secret Base that was called 'Team Stoner's Base.' How that got past the censor is way beyond me.

Don't get me wrong, I understand why they have a censor, and I'm actually all for that, because like many others I don't want to receive a Pokemon from a trade with something offensive in it. To me, that'd be a waste of a trade, but that's not the point here. I understand wanting to keep racially sensitive words and curses and other things from possibly getting into the hands of young children, but this censor takes it way too far. And people trying to get things past the censor out of spite does not help, it only makes the problem worse. But that's how these things seem to go--the actions of an immature few ruin things for everyone.

Though this does make me wonder what'll happen with my Nuzlocke Pokemon... in Emerald I'm naming them after various figures in mythology, and I bet you anything some of those will get reverted sooner or later once I transfer them.

Still, there's a much better way this could be handled, and I'm sad it hasn't happened yet.

Ulicies

Mild Monk
I was on the PSS, trying to edit my profile status to say "catching all 718," to let passerby's know I was working on my Pokedex, and it told me I couldn't use the word "catching." Huh.

unicornhiccup

bye cruel people
I was on the PSS, trying to edit my profile status to say "catching all 718," to let passerby's know I was working on my Pokedex, and it told me I couldn't use the word "catching." Huh.

What is this insanity.

What if I wanted to name a pokemon catching.

Aoba

Oh, so the games are now filtered o.o
That's why I couldn't name Landorus "MassSuicide".

Qucas

I couldn't name my Jigglypuff Jiggly in w/e game it was I was playing. Makes no sense, since it's already in the name.

I wanted to title on of my boxes bank balls, but alas, I had to name it bank ball. A tear went down my eye.

PokemonMegaBeast

Im Still Here!
If people don't stop putting hacked Jirachi with offensive nicknames in the GTS...I swear to god I will stick my genitals in a food processor and turn it on. Argh! The rage!

Ahh that's a bit much... Anyway I caught myself a voltorn and nicknamed it Poke Ball and obviously it wouldn't take it because of the second word... xD really but worked when I did pokeball.

It won't let me name my mudkip "Fred" But I can name my muk "***" and it is fine! I don't get this...

Darkjodo

My trainer has been named "Jodo" since Gen III. In alpha sapphire I was able to name my trainer Jodo, but later when I started Omega Ruby I WAS NOT able to name my trainer "Jodo"!!

So frustrated. Can we do ANYTHING about this?

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
My trainer has been named "Jodo" since Gen III. In alpha sapphire I was able to name my trainer Jodo, but later when I started Omega Ruby I WAS NOT able to name my trainer "Jodo"!!

So frustrated. Can we do ANYTHING about this?

Really? Weird. Must have been a glitch one way or another, if it's allowed in one game it should be allowed in the other game, or disallowed in both games.

Darkjodo

I'm guessing they updated the censorship list in the time between me starting Alpha and then starting Omega. I narrowed the word down to see what the discrepancy was. "Jod" is the culprit, for whatever reason. I am pretty furious.

AmoebaHewdraw

Super Nerd
The censors are a little too strong. I tried naming my Klefki Boo Boo Keys, Lolnope. added a hyphen (Boo-Boo Keys) Oh yeah that's totally fine. Game Freak, plz.

Status
Not open for further replies.