• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

I Choose You

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
I Choose You
Ash, a boy living in Pallet Town, greeted the morning of his 10th birthday, the day he could become qualified to become a Pokémon Trainer. Ash's heart was filled with a desire for Pokémon he has never seen before and a world he has never seen before, but while he was meant to be given a Pokémon that would become his partner at the Oak Laboratories, he ended up severely oversleeping, and all that was left for him was a single Pikachu, a Pokémon that did not get attached to humans. "Do you hate me? I like you!" Even though the two were at odds with one another, their friendship deepened little by little, and as they looked up at the legendary Pokémon Ho-Oh that flew through the sky on the day they set off, Ash and Pikachu swore an oath as they held one of its Rainbow Wings: "Let's go meet it together one day!" And thus, Pikachu and Ash, who set off on his journey to become the world's greatest Pokémon Master, end up meeting the Trainers Makoto and Soji on their way before getting told a legend concerning Ho-Oh.

"Those who, guided by the Rainbow Wing, meet with Ho-Oh, shall become the Heroes of the Rainbow." Ash and the others end up getting guided by Marshadow, a mysterious Pokémon that had been lurking in Ash's shadow without anyone realizing, and make their way to Mount Tensei, where Ho-Oh lives, but a strong enemy appears before them. Will the duo manage to reach Ho-Oh?! In order for them to fulfill the promise they swore on the day the departed, the two of them now begin an adventure that will last until they become "true partners"!

Visit The Movie Guide

Discuss

Shadao

Aim to be a Pokémon Master
Oh, finally! Well, I’ve seen the movie (mainly to understand what’s going on rather than reading the summary), and I will say it’s the best Pokémon movie. But here’s a distinction I’ll make. It’s not the best movie from the Pokémon franchise, but it’s the movie that best represents the world of Pokémon.

I’ll say that the opening is a bit of mess, mainly rushing through the events of the first episode without giving it time to breathe, especially egregious since they cut out the nonessential parts like Gary and Misty. It’s disappointing considering that I hailed “Pokémon - I Choose You!” to be the best episode of the Pokémon series. All it did was made me appreciate the original more. I really think they should have used the Gameboy intro just to really pump up the nostalgia. But I did like the various snippets of Ash and Pikachu’s journey and where he’s going. There’s something about it that captures what it’s like to be a regular Pokémon trainer.

I especially like how the legendary Pokémon are portrayed. Not like deities that communicate with you telepathically or be a keystone to the balance of the world as seen in most Pokémon movies. The legendary Pokémon are essentially powerful and mythical creatures that trainers want to encounter and battle. It’s much closer to how you encounter a legendary in the Gen I and II if that makes any sense. The Entei battle was simply breathtaking to watch because of how powerful Entei appears and how our young trainers try to adapt the situation.

The world without Pokémon dream sequence is surreal. So surreal it’s nightmarish. Seeing Ash in what appears to be modern Japan taking classes and looking out towards the horizon doesn’t feel right. Especially when it’s completely devoid of Pokémon. The world, despite being full of humans, is lifeless and dull. This is something that Takeshi Shudō would have written, and I wouldn’t be surprised if they took a page from him. In a way, it explains why Ash is eternally ten-years old. The Pokémon world is a childhood world, unmarred by reality. Ash does not belong in the real world and neither do the rest of the cast. And because of that, he will always remain a 10-year old child even if his physical features have aged. Of course, that’s my impression from the movie.

Speaking of Ash, this is really the story about the boy from Pallet Town. He’s excitable, dumb, brave and has a big heart. Your typical Ash. I will say he’s a lot adaptable in battles even without the Pokédex, Brock and Misty. Especially considering he has only two or three Pokémon with him and already has three badges. Pikachu is also a lot stronger here, given that he was able to flip a Snorlax with just Iron Tail when Snorlax attempts to do Body Slam. Despite their badass upgrade, both Ash and Pikachu are still recognizable and you get the feeling that they’re a representation of everyday trainers rather than an exceptional skilled trainer right off the bat like in DP, XY and SM. Which makes sense considering that they are rookies in this movie.

As for the other characters:

Verity has much personality than she lets on. She starts off acting like a rival to Ash (wanting to get Entei first and then having a Pokémon battle), and it's a rare occasion to see a female trainer act as a rival to Ash rather than a companion (sure she ends up being a companion, but at least I saw potential). We later learn that she has mother issues which is understandable if you know who that mother is supposed to be. I do kinda wish there was more to her than what was presented to film but for an OC film character, that's impressive.

Sorrel is not as interesting of a character. He's a younger version of Brock and to a lesser extent, Sammy Oak. But he does offer great lore such as Ho-Oh and the Three Beasts (on par with the Generations episode) and his Luxury's story, while a bit sudden, was rather sad and a reminder of permanent loss that goes well with the whole Pokémon-less world in Ash's dream.

Cross is truly cruel and brutal as a trainer. Not deceptive abusive as Damien, since Cross is brutally honest with Charmander and does have Pokémon he genuinely cares about. He’s a hybrid of Paul and Gary, with Paul’s cold-hearted nature and Gary’s egotism. Really, he’s the anime’s closest answer to Silver AKA Giovanni’s son and the rival from Gold and Silver. In fact, I wouldn’t mind calling the G/S rival Cross from now on.

Bonji has an interesting character, but sadly not much is used for him. It would be nice if he was a reflection of an older Ash in a hypothetical future.

Team Rocket is just there. You could cut out their scenes and nothing would have changed in the movie. And since they don't interact with Ash directly, I have no idea why this incarnation of TR is following Ash other than just because. They didn't even mention hoping to capture Pikachu. Was a bit surprised they had Wobbuffet at the end credits despite Wobbuffet not appearing in the actual movie.

For the climax, I'm still not exact sure about Marshadow's role or why it went berserk. I'm going to assume that Cross' wicked heart had too much evil for it handle.

As for the Pikachu talk moment, if you didn't catch it immediately, you'll likely think that Pikachu didn't talk at all. The English voice wasn't bad, but it makes me wish that Ikue Otani voiced Pikachu's human words in every major language. She is the voice of Pikachu and we should hear Pikachu talk in her voice, including human.

There’s a lot more to talk about, but I wanted to get some of my initial thoughts out.

Because it focuses on Ash and Pikachu’s journey to find the legendary Ho-Oh, this movie captures what Pokémon is all about and what it means to be a master (they actually explain what Ash’s definition of being a Pokémon Master is: It’s striving to be the best and to make lots of new friends along the way). While movies like Mewtwo Strikes Back, Spell of the Unown and Lucario and the Mystery of Mew have exceptionally memorable characters and even intriguing plots, they have never captured that feeling I felt when I watched this movie. If people want to know what a featured-length live action movie of Pokémon would be like in terms of plot (and not the Detective Pikachu stuff), go watch this movie. It’s not perfect; some of the plot points are a bit confusing and the pacing could use a lot of work. But it is the best movie about the Pokémon journey.

xEryChan

Demon Child
I saw the movie yesterday and I actually really liked it. It was nice to see a different tale on Ash’s journey in Kanto. I actually really liked Verity and Sorrel, I thought they were great characters and I liked how they both came to Kanto from Sinnoh. I must be honest, I felt like some parts of the movie were rushed and others were slow at times. I was a little confused about Marshadow’s role in the movie and why it attacked after Cross took the Rainbow Wing from Ash.

Overall, I really enjoyed the movie and I’m really happy I went to see it.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I was looking everywhere for this thread yesterday. Glad it's here now. Why wasn't it already? Hasn't the movie been out for months in Japan?

Anyways, this movie was great. It had just enough old stuff to please a classic fan, while also having enough new stuff to make it worth watching. A good balance was struck. I found the whole climax to be very confusing, both Marshadow's murderous rampage and Ash's death/revival. It really needed a whole lot more explaining, but at least it was all entertaining. Outside of that, there's not too many complaints I can give. I loved that Team Rocket was in the movie, but I wish they had a bigger role. And while Verity and Sorrel were interesting, they didn't really bring enough to the table to justify replacing Brock and Misty. Everything else was great. Having watched it now, I can officially say that I'm especially glad that this wasn't just a Sun and Moon movie, as the direction that the show is currently taking would not have made for a good movie. I can easily say that this is the best Pokémon movie since Arceus and Jewel of Life, and maybe even since The Rise of Darkrai (my personal favorite). It probably makes it into my top five favorite Pokémon movies. Where in that rankings its sits, I'm still not sure. I sure hope this means that Pokémon movies are going to start being good again.

Oh, finally! Well, I’ve seen the movie (mainly to understand what’s going on rather than reading the summary), and I will say it’s the best Pokémon movie. But here’s a distinction I’ll make. It’s not the best movie from the Pokémon franchise, but it’s the movie that best represents the world of Pokémon.

I could not have put it better myself.

Lady Umbreon

My only complaint is about the presentation of the shorts before the movie. Why was it 30 minutes of the same things shown TWICE? The crowd at my theater started to get angry. "Again?" "In case you missed it the first time..." "This isn't what we paid for!" Luckily the movie started before anyone made a scene.

NeoDude-5000

Movie was beautiful, I think this is my new favourite Pokemon movie now. I liked the story, I actually liked the new characters in movies as usually I don't give **** about them or are just not interesting, and the animation was great. There were a few low points but that didn't bother me as much.

9/10: Its definitely worth watching than anything post movie 12 (with the exception of movie 16)

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
My only complaint is about the presentation of the shorts before the movie. Why was it 30 minutes of the same things shown TWICE? The crowd at my theater started to get angry. "Again?" "In case you missed it the first time..." "This isn't what we paid for!" Luckily the movie started before anyone made a scene.

Short? As in a Pikachu Short? I sure didn't see any Pikachu Short, and I was there 30 minutes early. What gives?

xEryChan

Demon Child
Short? As in a Pikachu Short? I sure didn't see any Pikachu Short, and I was there 30 minutes early. What gives?

Same. I was there about 25 minutes before the movie started.

Shadao

Aim to be a Pokémon Master

Same. I was there about 25 minutes before the movie started.

It's the Generations shorts. I've only seen two of them when I got into the theater and here is proof:

DN5YoD_UEAEdzJR.jpg

DN5YoD2UQAAqnc_.jpg

Incidentally, I brought a Cap Pikachu with me to theater. It was quite to see other fans' reaction to this special Pikachu.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
It's the Generations shorts. I've only seen two of them when I got into the theater and here is proof:

DN5YoD_UEAEdzJR.jpg

DN5YoD2UQAAqnc_.jpg

Incidentally, I brought a Cap Pikachu with me to theater. It was quite to see other fans' reaction to this special Pikachu.

Huh, that's really strange, buy also really cool. I wonder why some people got to see that but others didn't. I'd love for a chance to see those on the big screen. Too bad I wasn't one of the lucky ones.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Wow this movies version of the Pokemon theme is fantastic and sounds almost identical to the original dub theme imo.
Also loved the ending theme as well.
Verity reminds me of Dawn and Iris combined personality wise.
Cross reminds me of a more aggressive version of Paul.
The plot seems pretty interesting from what I've seen.

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
I've been trying to nail down a definitive list of the cameos from past movies:

-Neesha and Corey
-Slowking
-Baron Alberto
-Multiple characters from the Victini movie, but I don't know who
-Xerneas

Anyone remember others so I can add to this?

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord

-Neesha and Corey
-Slowking
-Baron Alberto
-Xerneas

That mother and daughter who appeared in several past movies for fleeting moments made an appearance yet again.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Wow, that was pure trash

And it wasn't even the Misty, Brock, and Gary replacements

They were good characters

I actually liked all the human characters in this movie

But the whole plot of the movie, in the second half of the movie, made no sense at all

And on top of that, for something that was hyped up as "THE HO-OH MOVIE OMG AFTER 20 YEARS HO-OH GETS A MOVIE" Ho-oh barely appeared. Like the last 5 minutes and also no logical explanation.

And on top of that, the entire plot resolution, climax, and denouement were all HEAVILY PikaShippy, which was just stupid

i HATE that ship

Trash-*** movie

Easily the worst of the 20

And it's not even close

Captain Brain

I enjoyed the movie. Seeing a Pokemon movie in theater is always special. I liked how the companions actually had depth to them. Marshadow being a "spirit guide" makes me think his participation was some sort of test. Pikachu talking was well placed. Seeing a Pokemon die to save someone was touching (Luxray).

Ryu Taylor

Unwavering beliefs. Richter Taylor is my name now.
Just as I feared. The dub didn't fix the movie's true biggest problems, those being the bland characters and unfocused story. The middle was still the only good part. So, yeah, not too different from when I saw it in Japan.

However, the animation looked gorgeous, the acting was amazing, and the dub music...

HOLY GOD IN HEAVEN!!!

It's my new favorite Pokemon soundtrack of all time, taking that spot from the dub soundtrack of "The Power of One"! All the background music, the opening song, and ESPECIALLY the ending song were the best ever given to the franchise. I would definitely buy it on CD or stream.

Bulba the Great!

We Do Not Sow

-Neesha and Corey
-Slowking
-Baron Alberto
-Xerneas

I know these don't count as cameos from past movies, but I enjoyed seeing Erika and Agatha make brief appearances.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Something that's been bugging me. In the credits, when we see all the past characters, every single one of themturns towards the camera and looks very confused. Why are they all so confused?

And on top of that, for something that was hyped up as "THE HO-OH MOVIE OMG AFTER 20 YEARS HO-OH GETS A MOVIE" Ho-oh barely appeared. Like the last 5 minutes and also no logical explanation.

Ho-Oh was the driving force of the movie. Even if it wasn't physically there, it was a pretty important role to play.

And on top of that, the entire plot resolution, climax, and denouement were all HEAVILY PikaShippy, which was just stupid

i HATE that ship

Or, you know, the two of them are just really good friends, as the writers intended it. I don't like the ship either, but it only exists in the minds strange fans. You can't blame the writers for emphasizing the friendship of the two.

Just as I feared. The dub didn't fix the movie's true biggest problems, those being the bland characters and unfocused story. The middle was still the only good part. So, yeah, not too different from when I saw it in Japan.

However, the animation looked gorgeous, the acting was amazing, and the dub music...

HOLY GOD IN HEAVEN!!!

It's my new favorite Pokemon soundtrack of all time, taking that spot from the dub soundtrack of "The Power of One"! All the background music, the opening song, and ESPECIALLY the ending song were the best ever given to the franchise. I would definitely buy it on CD or stream.

Honestly, I actually found the soundtrack to be a bit boring, outside of the main theme, of course. None the tracks really seemed that notable to me. It wasn't bad, it just wasn't anything special. I kind of wish they went full-on nostalgia and remixed some of the tracks from the original series. Since you mentioned it, I certainly like Power of One's soundtrack better. I absolutely love Mewtwo's theme.

roguedr4g0nite

WishiWashi Trainer
So I just watched it and I have to say that it sure is better than the last few movies. Have to say the Marshadow scene was probably one of my favorites. I enjoyed the scene where Pikachu is fighting Marshadow, however hearing Pikachu talk was quite weird. The Luxray scene was touching but I have to ask...if you allow a Luxray to be dead on screen why the heck wouldn't you allow a Meowth to semi dead in S/M? Seriously TPCi? Glad they didn't censor it tho(to my knowledge as of now I think it wasn't touched). I also was touched by Ash fading away(nod to first movie?) and then Pikachu wearing the cap was so well executed. Music score was good but I'm probably biased since I play piano. Iris upside down in the tree was one of my favorite characters in the credits. I Choose You music was pleasant. So I'd probably give this 8/10