• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

I Choose You

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
I really enjoyed the movie. The music wasn't bad, same with the acting (besides Piplup's voice. Man, I don't miss hearing that thing talk). Team Rocket was completely pointless. I don't know why they were even given scenes. I cried at the Butterfree scene. Makoto and Soji were great traveling companions for Ash!! Same with Cross being a threat.

Lady Umbreon

It's the Generations shorts. I've only seen two of them when I got into the theater and here is proof:

DN5YoD_UEAEdzJR.jpg

DN5YoD2UQAAqnc_.jpg

Yes, this is what I saw. It was a mix of three of the Pokemon Generations shorts ("The Adventure", "The Chase", and "The Challenger"), three CGI shorts starring the Alola Starters, a music video of the original theme song, and a retrospective of the anime set to instrumental music. My theater showed them all except "The Chase" twice. In fact "The Chase" was inserted between two of the repeats. The shorts were getting a great reception until they started repeating. At the beginning of "The Adventure" where it starts with footage from the Game Boy games there was cheering and the dad next to me told his son "That's what I used to play!"

Last edited:

AshxSatoshi

Ice Aurelia
I think the past characters are looking confused in the screen because the movie was hinting possible cameos from all of them. I dont see otherwise why'd they need to be included if not that

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
So I just watched it and I have to say that it sure is better than the last few movies. Have to say the Marshadow scene was probably one of my favorites. I enjoyed the scene where Pikachu is fighting Marshadow, however hearing Pikachu talk was quite weird. The Luxray scene was touching but I have to ask...if you allow a Luxray to be dead on screen why the heck wouldn't you allow a Meowth to semi dead in S/M? Seriously TPCi? Glad they didn't censor it tho(to my knowledge as of now I think it wasn't touched). I also was touched by Ash fading away(nod to first movie?) and then Pikachu wearing the cap was so well executed. Music score was good but I'm probably biased since I play piano. Iris upside down in the tree was one of my favorite characters in the credits. I Choose You music was pleasant. So I'd probably give this 8/10

They've had Pokemon die in movies before, so there's already a precedent for it there. Meowth's scene was probably censored for being too realistic of a way children can drown.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I think the past characters are looking confused in the screen because the movie was hinting possible cameos from all of them. I dont see otherwise why'd they need to be included if not that

They were included because this movie was a celebration of the anime's 20th anniversary. It was an homage to the show's history. I don't know why they were confused, but I don't see why that would imply they're going to appear somewhere in the future.

AshxSatoshi

Ice Aurelia
They were included because this movie was a celebration of the anime's 20th anniversary. It was an homage to the show's history. I don't know why they were confused, but I don't see why that would imply they're going to appear somewhere in the future.

Well they definitely didn't celebrate them correctly by denying them time in 20th anniversary movie don't you think? And the reason why I said what was because this movie came out months before Misty and Brocks cameo in SM and following that the writers confirmed more characters could possibly be visiting in SM.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Well they definitely didn't celebrate them correctly by denying them time in 20th anniversary movie don't you think?

So you wanted them to shoehorn nine additional characters into a movie that was already pressed for time? Something tells me that wouldn't have worked out that well. I think cameos during the credits was plenty.

And the reason why I said what was because this movie came out months before Misty and Brocks cameo in SM and following that the writers confirmed more characters could possibly be visiting in SM.

But there's not really any evidence to suggest it's anything but a coincidence.

Ooh, a thread for the movie. I saw the movie in the cinema this weekend and I enjoyed it. The Luxray flashback was nice, and I thought it helped flesh out Sorrel and explain why he acts so sternly and almost solemnly in the present. Pikachu talking came off very cringey to me, but I know Ash was hallucinating and the kids in the theater really enjoyed that part. Cynthia most likely being Verity's mom (is this confirmed?) is a nice touch. Cynthia's one of my favorite characters in the Pokemon games and anime. I wish Marshadow had gotten to do more and have more of a backstory, but alas. I guess it's just up to our imagination.

I have a question, though: was Ash really angry at Charmeleon for losing to Cross's Incineroar, or were his reactions influenced by Marshadow? I couldn't tell, but I was thinking Marshadow was affecting him somehow because it seemed so out of character for Ash.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I have a question, though: was Ash really angry at Charmeleon for losing to Cross's Incineroar, or were his reactions influenced by Marshadow? I couldn't tell, but I was thinking Marshadow was affecting him somehow because it seemed so out of character for Ash.

Marshadow's entire plot was extremely confusing, but I think the entire point of Marshadow was to make sure that the Rainbow Hero's heart remains pure. When Ash started to be corrupted by his anger at his loss, Marshadow came in and showed him the vision of a world without Pokémon, causing Ash to re-realize what's really important and return to his rightful path. This would Ash was being corrupted by nothing but himself.

Honestly, I would argue this isn't even that out of character, at least for this Ash. Think about how Ash reacted to losing to Paul, a trainer with similar morals to Cross, and then think about how those reactions may be compounded by the fact that this was Ash's first ever loss. Basically, this movie had the advantage of compressing all 20 years of Ash's character development down into just over an hour, making his actions and reactions much more extreme than normal. That was one of my favorite parts of the movie, as it is often easy to forget how much Ash's character has developed over the years, since it's so spread out. Compressing it allowed us to really be reminded of how far Ash has come.

MountNittany

I thought the movie was fun. Very refreshing to see Pokemon on the big screen again. The only aversion I had was they ditched the original BGM, which was what I was most looking forward to.

Marshadow's entire plot was extremely confusing, but I think the entire point of Marshadow was to make sure that the Rainbow Hero's heart remains pure. When Ash started to be corrupted by his anger at his loss, Marshadow came in and showed him the vision of a world without Pokémon, causing Ash to re-realize what's really important and return to his rightful path. This would Ash was being corrupted by nothing but himself.

Honestly, I would argue this isn't even that out of character, at least for this Ash. Think about how Ash reacted to losing to Paul, a trainer with similar morals to Cross, and then think about how those reactions may be compounded by the fact that this was Ash's first ever loss. Basically, this movie had the advantage of compressing all 20 years of Ash's character development down into just over an hour, making his actions and reactions much more extreme than normal. That was one of my favorite parts of the movie, as it is often easy to forget how much Ash's character has developed over the years, since it's so spread out. Compressing it allowed us to really be reminded of how far Ash has come.

Gotcha, thank you for responding. That's what I was originally thinking while watching it but then thought too far into it. Also, I love what you pointed out about the condensation of Ash's growth. I hadn't thought about it like that. Similarly, I didn't mind the condensation of Butterfree and Charizard's very quick evolutions because they paid really great nostalgic homage to OS, being two of the most iconic storylines. It seemed a little wonky while watching because evolutions were happening so rapidly, but after thinking about it I wouldn't want the movie without them tbh.

roguedr4g0nite

WishiWashi Trainer
So how exactly does throwing people into the air signify aggression from Primeape? Am I missing something?

DanielS

Honestly Pikachu talking was the most awkward weird out of place thing in this movie even my niece and nephew thought the same also I thought Pikachu was male why did they give him a girl voice

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Honestly Pikachu talking was the most awkward weird out of place thing in this movie even my niece and nephew thought the same also I thought Pikachu was male why did they give him a girl voice

Pikachu is male (just look at its tail). Pikachu is, however, voiced by a girl, and they were probably trying to get it to sound as close as possible to the voice actress who does the "Pika-speak." Also, it makes it still sound like a cute little animal. I can agree it was a tad on the awkward side though. Still heartwarming though at the same time.

Satoshi no masara

Professional couch potato

From what I've read (I forgot where), according to the movie director, the part where they were all looking confused in the end credits was supposed to depict Ash asking his previous companions where the next gym will be. I'm not quite sure about this though and I'd appreciate some confirmation like a source from where this was stated. I forgot where I've read about this but AshSerena did confirmed it for me in Twitter.

Last edited:

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
I wonder if they just up and forgot that Todd was a companion at one point.

When I saw Verity's mother I thought "oh, her hair is covering her face to obscure her identity so this must mean that she's dead" and was very surprised that Verity used present tense when speaking of her. I didn't get "this is Cynthia" but people are treating it like fact. Does anyone have a shot of that image?

I also have to wonder how much thought went into the Luxray scene because Sorrel should have at least been frostbitten from that sort of cold.

I feel like Pikachu's "voice" should have been Ohtani as well. If they couldn't get her to sound natural at it, then come as close as possible to her via some sort of voice modulator. Or at least keep casting. Having a generic "kiddie" voice didn't work.

I love me some Team Rocket but DAMN they had no right to be in this movie. When they commented about "our Entei" I thought that meant it was a trap they had set with a fake Entei. I do love that they clearly posed for their wanted poster though.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I wonder if they just up and forgot that Todd was a companion at one point.

Only for a couple episodes. If he counted, then there'd be a large list of other temporary companions that would count too, such as Lyra, N, Alexa, or Korrina.

I feel like Pikachu's "voice" should have been Ohtani as well. If they couldn't get her to sound natural at it, then come as close as possible to her via some sort of voice modulator. Or at least keep casting. Having a generic "kiddie" voice didn't work.

As interesting as that might have been, that would also mean she would have to do a voice for every language.

I love me some Team Rocket but DAMN they had no right to be in this movie. When they commented about "our Entei" I thought that meant it was a trap they had set with a fake Entei. I do love that they clearly posed for their wanted poster though.

I'd rather have background Team Rocket than no Team Rocket at all myself. I was just happy that they were there at all, as I was afraid they'd be cut.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Ho-Oh was the driving force of the movie. Even if it wasn't physically there, it was a pretty important role to play.

The "main legendary/mythical" of each movie has gotten way better personality/characterization/storyline than Ho-oh got here. And we don't even get to see the battle, on top of the fact that "a battle" is a lame legendary plot
Or, you know, the two of them are just really good friends, as the writers intended it. I don't like the ship either, but it only exists in the minds strange fans. You can't blame the writers for emphasizing the friendship of the two.

Saying in a cute voice "because I want to be with you..." is NOT what "friends" say to each other.

Also, that doesn't even make sense. Pikachu didn't want to get in his Poké Ball WAY before he met Ash

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Saying in a cute voice "because I want to be with you..." is NOT what "friends" say to each other.

I don't want to use the phrase "beyond friends," as that would imply the opposite of what I mean, but the point is, they are extremely good friends, to the point where they do want to be with each other as much as possible. That doesn't require there to be a romance between them.

Regardless of how you may feel on the topic, my point remains the same. Pika shipping (just like almost any other ship) is something created by fans who read too deeply into things. As far as the writers are concerned, nothing like exists. Just try not to read too deeply into it, like the shippers do, and you'll be fine.

Also, that doesn't even make sense. Pikachu didn't want to get in his Poké Ball WAY before he met Ash

That was probably supposed to be Pikachu's character development. Maybe that was originally the case, but now there's a new reason.

So am I the only one appalled by the dub replacing the soundtrack? I know they've been doing it for a while now, but I was really hoping they would let this one be the exception. With that in mind, I hope everyone reading this will consider not getting tickets to sdee it when it gets that 2nd showing in theaters, if you wanna see it buy tickets for Thor and then sneak into the other movie.