• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

I Choose You

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
I doubt boycotting will work; people will still go see it regardless.
As for the dub replacing music as long as it replaced them with good bgm then I don't mind which seemed to happen with this movie from what I've seen so far imo.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
So am I the only one appalled by the dub replacing the soundtrack? I know they've been doing it for a while now, but I was really hoping they would let this one be the exception. With that in mind, I hope everyone reading this will consider not getting tickets to sdee it when it gets that 2nd showing in theaters, if you wanna see it buy tickets for Thor and then sneak into the other movie.

Whoa, whoa, whoa. I'll admit the soundtrack wasn't the best, but don't you think that's a bit extreme? The movie was still great, regardless of the music. It's still the same movie. It's ridiculous to suggest that people purposely not watch a good movie just because you're bitter about the music being changed.

Ryu Taylor

Unwavering beliefs. Richter Taylor is my name now.
I doubt boycotting will work; people will still go see it regardless.
As for the dub replacing music as long as it replaced them with good bgm then I don't mind which seemed to happen with this movie from what I've seen so far imo.

People threatened boycotts over the recasting, and look how well that turned out. As for the music, well, just refer to my "new #1 Pokemon soundtrack" comment. Of course, I won't promise you'll have the same experience, but I doubt you'll have uncutpokemon's experience with it.

Whoa, whoa, whoa. I'll admit the soundtrack wasn't the best, but don't you think that's a bit extreme? The movie was still great, regardless of the music. It's still the same movie. It's ridiculous to suggest that people purposely not watch a good movie just because you're bitter about the music being changed.

The person you said this to hates people who feel even the slightest bit of positivity toward the dub. Remember, he bashed my entire taste in music over the fact that I wholeheartedly prefer Ed Goldfarb as a Pokemon composer over Shinji Miyazaki.

But anyway, it's only the individual's choice whether or not to see the movie. It's not up to anyone else.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Clearly I am the only one then, in that case I'll just go somewhere else to badmouth Goldfart and his sad excuse for a score.

No one ever said you couldn't dislike the music. The problem comes in the extreme reaction you took to this dislike in calling for a boycott.

roguedr4g0nite

WishiWashi Trainer
So if this is an alternate reality and the credits of Ash's companions through the years are scenarios where he's asking where the next gym is, does this mean the movie is connected somehow to the Ultra Wormholes where Ash doesn't travel with them?

DankOverlord

Komodo Dragons Rule!
So if this is an alternate reality and the credits of Ash's companions through the years are scenarios where he's asking where the next gym is, does this mean the movie is connected somehow to the Ultra Wormholes where Ash doesn't travel with them?

The companions are there for nostalgia purposes , and yes this is an alternate reality, it was stated before the release of the movie in Japan

roguedr4g0nite

WishiWashi Trainer
The companions are there for nostalgia purposes , and yes this is an alternate reality, it was stated before the release of the movie in Japan
Guess I won't be seeing Iris again...ever... because she's so despised :(

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord

It's an alternate reality, but that doesn't automatically mean Ultra Wormholes are involved.

DankOverlord

Komodo Dragons Rule!
Guess I won't be seeing Iris again...ever... because she's so despised :(

I don't think she's despised outside of the american fandom, not as popular as Serena, Misty, Brock or Dawn, but still isn't hated

roguedr4g0nite

WishiWashi Trainer
Here's to hoping I'll see Iris when the Unova remakes are out...then again they didn't show any special treatment for May in ORAS.
Also I enjoyed I Choose You. Oracion probably would've been great dubbed but it was a nice alternative. Might just change my signature to an Iris GIF once the movie is out on DVD.

Johtohfiller

Watched it Tuesday, first time I've seen a Pokémon movie at a theater. It was...better than I expected! I was afraid of it being thoroughly meh but I ended up enjoying it. It comes across a lot better onscreen than reading a plot summary - it's better than the sum of its parts.

Missed the first few minutes, but I've seen the first episode plenty of times so I figure I didn't miss much. Were there any major differences?

The Characters of the Movie weren't bad, although with the exception of Cross I don't think they gave them enough to do. My impressions:

Verity really does seem like Not Misty, with a bit of Serena and/or Lillie (mommy issues). She could have been Misty without changing much.

Sorrel actually seemed original rather than a copy of someone else. I liked his sad backstory (though it was weird that Ash and Verity didn't seem sad at all hearing it). I'm surprised that his Lucario didn't do much though, considering what a hypemon it is.

Cross is like an even edgier Paul crossed (haha) with an ******* jock from an 80s movie, with a voice similar to Gary's. He worked pretty well as a villain, I don't think the usual sorts of villains we get in the movies would have fit the story as well.

I loved Bonji. Part of that is because his voice reminded me of Stuart Zagnit's Prof. Oak voice, my favorite voice in the franchise, and I like how he looks like a dwarf or gnome. He deserved WAY more screentime, they should have introduced him a lot earlier. At least they gave him a great monologue after the climax.

Team Rocket got screwed over. :( Couldn't they have at least fought with Ash once?

That dream scene of Ash in our world might have been the best part. It seems like they were suggesting that the Poke-world is a higher plane of existence than ours and it almost felt like Ash had died and gone to Hell. One of the most intriguing scenes the anime has ever done IMO.

Marshadow was cool in concept but the execution could have been a lot better. I think what was going on at the end was that Cross intended to kill Ho-oh and that was more evil than Marshadow could handle, driving him mad. It wasn't really clear though.

Pikachu speaking human actually didn't bother me in principle - Ash understanding Pika-speak in a crisis moment doesn't seem too farfetch'd to me. I need to hear it in Ohtani's voice, though.

The music...well, it was better than the dub tv music, I'll give it that. Some of the fight music actually had a Japanese sound. Still doesn't hold a candle to Miyazaki's music, and seeing Pikachu defend Ash from the angry Spearow without Tears After the Cloudy Weather just felt wrong.

The visuals were great though, can't fault the movie there. The scene where Butterfree left looked spectacular with those sunset colors.

My biggest complaint...the movie needed more time. They tried to cram in more story than could easily fit in an hour and a half, and the pacing suffered. I wish they'd given it a full 2 hours. They could have given Bonji and TR more screentime, worked the beast trio into the plot (I didn't like how Suicune and Raikou only got short cameos), and given a clearer explanation of Marshadow's role.

Where the movie did excel was providing an overview of what Pokémon is like. The atmosphere and themes of the series were strongly present, despite the weaknesses with the story and pacing. And not just Kanto; it had the feel of the series as a whole. Ash's portrayal fit with that, coming across as a combination of early Ash and later Ash. I'd recommend this movie to anyone who's not familiar with Pokémon but wants to get a taste of what it's about.

Could have been better, but could have been a lot worse. I'm looking forward to watching it again in Japanese, wish I could have seen it that way on the big screen.

Ryu Taylor

Unwavering beliefs. Richter Taylor is my name now.
seeing Pikachu defend Ash from the angry Spearow without Tears After the Cloudy Weather just felt wrong.

Prepare to have that feeling when/if you see the movie's original Japanese self, as it also didn't have that track for that scene.

Red and Blue

I had a question in regards to Marshadow. Did it actually speak in human language?

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
Well, it happened. People got so angry at the Pikachu talking scene that it made the news.
I was fearing what it would sound like after hearing some of the hype about it, but honestly to me Pikachu sounded just fine speaking human words. Didn't bother me at all.

Besides, the series has long established that many pokemon trainers can understand their pokemon to some extent. This was just an extreme "communicate through the heart" scene to me.

I enjoyed the movie overall, but I did find Marshadow's rampage at the end odd as pretty much nothing was said to explain it. But as others noted probably the best explanation is that the "evil" Cross put into the feather was too much for Marshadow's mind to handle (after all normally it would only be purifying small amounts of evil like it did for Ash earlier in the movie) and it went into a insane rage and ceased to be rational until the feather and thus the corruption disintegrated. Going crazy with anger is such a recurring thing with pokemon, they're very emotional creatures.

Last edited: