• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

I Choose You

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Aaalright, time for my cup of tea.

First off, this movie has some weird liberties with logic. Ash apparently beat 3 gyms with nothing but Pikachu and a Caterpie that hasn't evolved yet. He's a prodigy, apparently. Incineroar's Blaze is brought up one time, but no one decides to point out Charmeleon has it as well. Then the ability is never brought up or doesn't trigger on the second battle for Incineroar. Period. And Pikachu sending a one-ton something-something Snorlax in the air with just Iron Tail? Goodness.

Don't get me started on the ghost Ash on the real world.

They milked the friendship thing sooo much it felt cheesy. It peaked when Butterfree was released. Now if you saw the original release episode, you may be sad this happens once more. But sadly, in movie format, the audience doesn't get enough screen time with Butterfree save for its last 5 minutes because everyone else is taking screen time as is.

Onto the characters.

Ash: I want to become a Pokemon Master!

Verity: So, the best trainer of all?

Ash: No, better than that!

...You wanted an explanation for that at last in movie form? Sorry. We're still trying to figure out where Springfield is.

Ash, Verity just needs to be suicidally stupid and she'll be a female you easy. When she does that, MARRY HER. I actually liked her, probably because she was a real portrayal of an action girl in the anime that's not a one time COTD. And her Piplup wasn't annoying. Wow.

Sorrel: It's said that Ho-oh lives at the end of a rainbow.

Me: So do Leprechauns, Sorrel, and them big pots o' gold.

Sorrel was just decent but I liked him less than I did with Verity, who seemed to have more stuff than he did. His Lucario has got to be the worst representation of the line by the writers yet since it spent almost all its time sitting, walking, standing around doing nothing memorable, let alone changing expressions enough. Then I noticed it was entirely missing in a few scenes even while Verity's Piplup was around. In fact, Pikachu and Piplup didn't even interact with the jackal, or Ash. Literally. Like what was the point? The freaking dead Luxray had more backstory than the living Lucario. How is that possible?

But then Sorrel reveals meeting his Lucario restored his faith in making friends with Pokemon. Time for an expository flashback!

Any moment now.

I mean, the dead Luxray got a flashback, so why not for the living Lucario?

...Screw you, writers.

TRio starts as buffoons and their scenes are extremely spendable. They don't even meet Ash in person. They're more useless than ever.

Ash's tantrum for losing was...believable, honestly. He did think he was an unstoppable perfect trainer who would never lose, which was only fueled by the Rainbow Hero story on his side. Shame that we'll never see Ash Ketchum: Car Master...

Those Primeape were...aggressive? If anything, Ash's Primeape was a demon.

Marshadow was boring, though. It just kept stalking the group and only became the main conflict because Ho-oh being the villain would have been detrimental. In fact, why even bother injecting a Gen VII Pokemon and other Pokemon and characters outside Gen I and Gen II, besides celebrating an anniversary? They felt like unneeded distractions that didn't bring much to the table.

Cross was a flat character till he revealed he also saw Ho-oh, but I wished we could've seen some more backstory on that. Oh, and his Midnight Lycanroc has literally the same amount of importance as Sorrel's Lucario: gets a mention that they met before and became friends, but the movie fails to explain more than that. His Incineroar existing only to fight was a major letdown.

The music was...awful, like always. Goldfarb not only composes the horrendous music, but he also increases the volume so much you can barely hear the characters talk.

Overall, this movie really wants to move your nostalgia, but only diehard fans will be moved. Otherwise, this is a decent movie that makes Ash have the usual level of spotlight ahead of anyone else... Also, Verity and Sorrel had more potential as recurring characters than being cursed to one movie, but alas.

...Does Bonji not have a Pokemon at all?

...And by the way, I love the fact 30-something guys screamed profanities at theaters just hearing Pikachu say more than 5 words while little kids were around.

Last edited:

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
finished watching the movie, I don't think it was bad, but it's not the best movie either.

the Pikachu speaking scene definitely doesn't strike me as something that one should go crazy over though. Ash had just gotten knocked senseless and people can hear or see things when their delirious

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Ok finally saw the whole thing and I have to say the climax was pretty intense. Also was there anything that implied who won the battle between Ash and Ho-oh?

Ryu Taylor

Unwavering beliefs. Richter Taylor is my name now.
The music was...awful, like always. Goldfarb not only composes the horrendous music, but he also increases the volume so much you can barely hear the characters talk.

First of all, you're still blaming the wrong person. The music and sound editor is Akhil Gopal, who in addition to editing also assists in composition (he's credited for both jobs).

Second, yes, you have your taste in Pokemon music and I have mine, but I have to ask something regarding the part I bolded. And I mean absolutely nothing personal by this; it's a legit curiosity: what makes you keep insisting the dub music is deafening? You don't have a hearing disorder, do you (and it's okay if you do)? I only ask that because the testimony that the dub music is so loud it drowns dialogue out is 100% false. Even the music Has-Been composes for the JP version doesn't reach that point, even though his compositions are infinitely louder than those of Messrs Goldfarb, Gopal, and newcomer Kc Daugirdas (though the Ginza cinema I saw the JP version at had the movie's volume turned to jet-plane-taking-off decibels, giving the illusion that the JP music itself really is that loud). I heard every word the characters were saying in this movie, as did literally everyone else on these forums and beyond. It just seems to be you who can't, and it's worrying me.

Again, I mean nothing personal by this.

On a different note, curse Disney XD for cutting out the ending song (aka the best Pokemon song ever).

Last edited:

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
First of all, you're still blaming the wrong person. The music and sound editor is Akhil Gopal, who in addition to editing also assists in composition (he's credited for both jobs).

Second, yes, you have your taste in Pokemon music and I have mine, but I have to ask something regarding the part I bolded. And I mean absolutely nothing personal by this; it's a legit curiosity: what makes you keep insisting the dub music is deafening? You don't have a hearing disorder, do you (and it's okay if you do)? I only ask that because the testimony that the dub music is so loud it drowns dialogue out is 100% false. Even the music Has-Been composes for the JP version doesn't reach that point, even though his compositions are infinitely louder than those of Messrs Goldfarb, Gopal, and newcomer Kc Daugirdas (though the Ginza cinema I saw the JP version at had the movie's volume turned to jet-plane-taking-off decibels, giving the illusion that the JP music itself really is that loud). I heard every word the characters were saying in this movie, as did literally everyone else on these forums and beyond. It just seems to be you who can't, and it's worrying me.

Again, I mean nothing personal by this.

On a different note, curse Disney XD for cutting out the ending song (aka the best Pokemon song ever).

...How could I have a hearing disorder? I actually have the best hearing out of my family. That came out as rude.

Every other anime that isn't the likes of Pokemon has the music and voices at the right volumes that I can listen just fine, but Pokemon and other kiddy shows tend to really ramp up the BGM volume.

Ryu Taylor

Unwavering beliefs. Richter Taylor is my name now.
...How could I have a hearing disorder? I actually have the best hearing out of my family. That came out as rude.

Every other anime that isn't the likes of Pokemon has the music and voices at the right volumes that I can listen just fine, but Pokemon and other kiddy shows tend to really ramp up the BGM volume.

I see. Sorry it came across that way.

Yes, it's true the dub music and other family shows have a lot of volume to it in places. Maybe TV settings factor in on this, too. But I can still hear other sounds coming from the movie and show.

G4Pokefan

THE AURA IS WITH ME
Just finished watching the movie....

-A lot of random happenings. Ash with only Pikachu, Butterfree, and Charizard, getting the Celadon City badge But what about the rest?), Charmander's original (different) trainer.
- Once again, Team Rocket was useless. Why they were in this one, I'll never know.
- In my opinion, this would've been a decent substitute for A Pokémon Movie to tie in with the release of Heartgold and Soulsilver years ago instead of the one with Zoarark! Since it seemed to be more focused on Gen 2 Pokémon!
- Speaking of which, This marks Suicune and Entei's 3RD movie appearance and Raikou its 2ND. Even though it was also random seeing them.
- After 20+ years we finally get a movie that was focused on Ho-Oh (Mostly). And Ash battles it. No end result though. Was it worth waiting all these years? Not really, but glad I'm still alive to finally see it happen!
- Haven't seen Delia in a movie since "Spell of the Unown" How I wish Her and Oak's original VA had lended their voices for this 20th anniversary.
- Felt kinda good to see the Original Nurse Joy again. Felt kinda weird though, after seeing her go through 3 different art style changes since "Black and White"
- I wonder if the future Pokémon movies will still have this style of animation or will they shift to the cartoony style one?
- Wish they had an explanation as to why we were seeing all these changes as opposed to the story of Ash and Pikachu we all know. I would've accepted an "Alternate Universe" answer.

65/100 for me. It was somewhat of a nice little nostalgic trip down memory lane. Very little though...

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
I never would've believed I'd be saying this several months ago, but Verity & Sorell were my favorite part of this movie (or at least one of them). Since I went into this film knowing it was a standalone alternate universe that pays homage to the entire pokémon series, I was more interested in them than I was of Ash at times. While they didn't get as much focus, they did get plenty of development for the time we did have and it makes kind of want to see more of them, or at least give them a little more focus. They're not Brock and Misty, but they were well-rounded characters. Plus, they felt like they had Brock & Misty's best traits at times and none of their foibles that most people either love or hate nowadays (ex- Misty's fear of Bug types or Brock's obsession with girls), so they still felt like their own characters and it was nice to see those traits on new trainers who didn't completely rely on tired old tropes or fan service.

Granted, I'm still a little mad since they're part of the reason I got my hopes up for D/P remakes for the 3DS (Silvally & Moon from the manga are two other reasons), but I came out of this movie liking Sorrel & Verity more than I thought I would. I even kind of hope that we'll see them in the anime since I'd like to see what they're like in the main series' timeline.

Last edited:

Rajas

This might be an unpopular opinion but I actually enjoyed the movie a lot. The pacing of it was off but I suppose it would be with all they tried to show in 90 mins screen time. As for the temporary companions, I liked them. I actually wanted to know more about Verity and well I felt bad for Sorrel's Luxray (that got me in the feels). I even liked the bit of effort they put into telling Ho-Oh's tale and the feather being given to a hero etc. I'm a bit disappointed in him having only three Pokemon in all (2 at the end) but I guess they didn't want to show any more as they already had to split the screen time with what they had. I didn't mind Pikachu talking either although it did catch my by surprise even if I knew it was coming (it was so abrupt that I understand why it was a shock). That being said it made sense that they showed it to us because it's probably how Ash understands Pikachu coupled with him being severely injured and on the brink of dying. All in all the movie had emotion, the art style and animation was perfect to me, I loved seeing so much different Pokemon and I loved this AU Ash's Charizard so much. I actually would not mind seeing this AU Ash in more movies, this Ash might be the one who wins leagues etc for all we know and I'd like to see him meet the others as well, from what the end credits showed, it looked really nice.

CabochonJaw

If anyone wants to watch the Disney XD version, then don't get your hopes up for the after-ending credits. It completely cuts off any extra scenes and is replaced by a quick credit list.

I found out the hard way. Anyway, here to give my thoughts on the movie. This movie was kind of a downer and I can't rank it very high. The biggest moments that stood out to me were also the scariest/saddest, like luxray dying, Ash dying, and Ash going to school. If any movie needed a pikachu short, this one would have been a great candidate.

Please go back to the old movie formula for the next movie, I miss my talking legendaries and Ash having goofy companions.

Twilight-Kun

Pokemon World Champion
Well, even with all the usual atrocious dub practices, M20 was quite the enjoyable film
Could've done without the pointless Team Rocket and Butterfree plots though - you can remove both and lose nothing
Makoto and Souji's voice actors fit their characters pretty well, which was surprising

The*visuals were beautiful, the music was middling, the story was decent and the characters were great

Was Pikachu talking telepathically or vocally?

There's a lot of misconceptions about Pikachu actually talking in the movie, and for some reason a lot of criticism which I don't understand.

Personally to me, it looked like it was telepathic. Their states of minds in the dire moment allowed them to transmit their thoughts onto one another. Also, the lip synching doesn't match for Pikachu (at least for the english dub) while it does for every human character and Meowth. This further indicates that he's not actually talking vocally.

Maybe it could've also been Ash interpreting what Pikachu was saying, as it's evident throughout the series as a whole that Ash does understand Pikachu on various occasions.

But I could be wrong, this is just my opinion. What do you guys think?

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
Was Pikachu talking telepathically or vocally?

There's a lot of misconceptions about Pikachu actually talking in the movie, and for some reason a lot of criticism which I don't understand.

Personally to me, it looked like it was telepathic. Their states of minds in the dire moment allowed them to transmit their thoughts onto one another. Also, the lip synching doesn't match for Pikachu (at least for the english dub) while it does for every human character and Meowth. This further indicates that he's not actually talking vocally.

Maybe it could've also been Ash interpreting what Pikachu was saying, as it's evident throughout the series as a whole that Ash does understand Pikachu on various occasions.

But I could be wrong, this is just my opinion. What do you guys think?
Personally, I didn't think it was either. The anime has always shown Ash having a general understanding of what Pikachu says because they have such a strong bond and they trust each other, so in my opinion they were more than likely showing that situation through Ash's eyes (that, and him being half-conscious due to being so close to death might help too).

Last edited:

SlimKennedy

I'm a little surprised that nobody has mentioned the fact that we finally got glimpses of the other two Pallet trainers.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
I'm a little surprised that nobody has mentioned the fact that we finally got glimpses of the other two Pallet trainers.
Not really. They were just cameos of Marina and Tierno in different clothes that were meant to act as Easter Eggs, similar to how the trainers at the battle in the beginning of the film were two of the COTDs featured in the first movie

I loved the movie a lot. Although I wish they went more into Verrity’s backstory, and Sorrel’s story with Luxray was incredibly sad and low key disturbing. I also wish they showed the whole battle between Ho-Oh and pikachu. But overall I really liked it.