• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

I Choose You

fawfulmark2

This is what I mean by the trailer being misleading. I’m posting the official trailer below.

Now tell me, doesn’t it seem like Ho-oh is supposed to be the main Legendary of the movie? Even throughout the movie itself, it sounded as if Ho-oh would be the main focus with the group discussing how significant the Rainbow Wing was to legends and they even meet the Legendary Beasts who you know are connected to Ho-oh itself? And what do we get for all this buildup of almost an hour? A drawn out battle with a Marshadow and how its anger is going to destroy the world. And what’s this? Ho-oh doesn’t show up in its own movie to stop the fighting? Oh I’m sorry. It’s just that all this talk about Ho-oh and the Rainbow Wing And even the group meeting the Legendary Pokemon strongly connected to Ho-oh And its legends made me think this movie was all about it. And then Ho-oh finally appears and accepts Ash’s challenge and Pikachu is ready and we literally cut to the end where Pikachu is exhausted and no winner is shown? What the Giratina Shoji Yonemura were you thinking?! Did you seriously think this was so unimportant compared to Marshadow becoming evil that you cut off the battle you teased the entire time up to then and had a huge build up for? This was a horrible choice to make! This is worse than Kyogre and Regigigas being promised to make an appearance in Pokémon Ranger for Kyogre and Arceus for Regigigas and both appearing less than ten minutes in the entire movie! It’s that bad! Ho-oh is teased so much and all we get for literally waiting decades is an appearance of no more than maybe five minutes. Twenty years of waiting to see some version of Ash meeting Ho-oh led to this? I basically consider this my least favorite movie of the franchise and it’s even lower than the mess that was Hoopa and the Kyurem movies. At least all of the Legendaries that showed up in Hoopa had screen time longer than five minutes and we got to see the battle and we sort of got what was promised to us from the trailer and official word from the writers about what to expect. Why did they think no one would want to see Ho-oh battling Ash especially after all the build up? If any Pokémon movie must be remade I think it’s this one for how horribly misleading it is with all of the Ho-oh talk and trailer.

Very rarely have I seen such passionate frustration, but in this way it is justified. I too feel the insertion of Marshadow in the plot ruined the story flow and was just a case of "Service to the Brand." This could be part of why I enjoyed Detective Pikachu so much since they did not seem locked into a state of having to put in something to promote the newest game or something.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
Very rarely have I seen such passionate frustration, but in this way it is justified. I too feel the insertion of Marshadow in the plot ruined the story flow and was just a case of "Service to the Brand." This could be part of why I enjoyed Detective Pikachu so much since they did not seem locked into a state of having to put in something to promote the newest game or something.
Exactly. Throughout the movie all we heard whenever anyone learned Ash had a Rainbow Wing was, “Oh! You have a Rainbow Wing! That means you’re special and the chosen one. Blah blah blah.” What was the point of all this talk if Ho-oh was going to be on screen for less than five minutes? I felt like Annie Wilkes from Misery when she is going on the rant about feeling cheated when she saw a Rocketeer short and threw a fit.

Leonhart

Imagineer
To be fair though, given how Houou had been handled for twenty years, I don't think that people should've expected it to have a larger role in the story here. Houou's always been treated like some kind of untouchable deity that doesn't show up long enough to interact with anyone, so the fact that it got such little screen-time was perfectly in-line with how it's been portrayed before.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Emelie said:
Kind of random but I just realized that the scene when Luxray dies is a reference to Kimba the white lion. :eek:

Here I thought it was a reference to The Lion King, although Kimba the White Lion is more well-known in Japan than The Lion King, so I guess that makes more sense.

Doppelgänger

Superancient Member
Exactly. Throughout the movie all we heard whenever anyone learned Ash had a Rainbow Wing was, “Oh! You have a Rainbow Wing! That means you’re special and the chosen one. Blah blah blah.” What was the point of all this talk if Ho-oh was going to be on screen for less than five minutes? I felt like Annie Wilkes from Misery when she is going on the rant about feeling cheated when she saw a Rocketeer short and threw a fit.

If you look at the other Pokemon movies, they make the legends look less like forces of nature and more like dumb brutes who are effortlessly dominated by humans. It's a recurring theme that the box legends have less intelligence or ability to communicate than mythicals or regular Pokemon.

No other Pokemon got shafted harder than Giratina, who was not only unintelligent he couldn't remember Ash & friends despite them literally saving his life.

Ho-Oh's presentation was fine. Too much exposure would spoil the majesty that surrounds it, and no more lore for Ho-Oh is needed beyond the Burnt Tower story. I'm also glad it didn't talk, because being able to communicate ruins inviting mystery of a supernatural entity whose thought process is beyond human understanding. The nod was perfect.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Doppelgänger said:
Ho-Oh's presentation was fine. Too much exposure would spoil the majesty that surrounds it, and no more lore for Ho-Oh is needed beyond the Burnt Tower story. I'm also glad it didn't talk, because being able to communicate ruins inviting mystery of a supernatural entity whose thought process is beyond human understanding. The nod was perfect.

I was relieved that Houou wasn't given a human voice since that would've been strange. I've always viewed Houou as a majestic creature that doesn't need words to express itself, so it was good to see the movie's writer keep Houou silent.

It is interesting to note that Serena is the only one that smiles in the end credits
She is the only one who met Ash before he started his journey. Also the song in English is sung by Serena's VA.

Ah yes, a remake of the first season. It’s so weird and unnecessary to do a rehash and an AU of Ash’s journey, but this was made to celebrate the twentieth anniversary. This version of the original theme song was good but the other versions of it were better. It was weird how Ash didn’t have a full team and weirder how Misty and Brock weren’t even in the movie at all. It’s also weird that they skipped to Ash beating Erika. Verity (aka Dawn 2.0) and Sorrel were alright characters, and I think it’s sad that Sorrel’s Luxray froze to death to protect him. I like how they handled Charizard not disobeying Ash and Butterfree release, but the climax of the movie felt so random. Marshadow starts possessing and attacking everyone, and Pikachu randomly talks? Guess Ash understood Pokémon all along. Then Ash dies and comes back to life? What? Cross was a jerk and I’m shocked that he kinda turned good at the end. Overall, this movie wasn’t too great. Just a bunch of randomness.

The best part was the end credits as we got to see all of Ash’s companions, and it’s when they first encountered Ash in the series. All of them look surprised (assumedly because they haven’t met AU Ash) except for Serena who is smiling, probably because she’s the only one who met Ash pre-series. Also the English theme song is so heartwarming and romantic, plus it’s sung by Serena’s English voice actress. Yep this isn’t a song about Pikachu and Ash, it’s a song sung by Serena (literally!) about how she chooses him and how she wants to be with him forever. AMOURSHIPPING FUEL!!!!!!!!!! I Choose You is my favorite English movie song (beating out This is a Beautiful World and We Will Meet Again) because not only is it a good song, it is Ash and Serena’s love song!!!!

Oh yeah, and this art style is what OS Ash would have looked like in the XY art style. Absolutely gorgeous. SM should have had this art style.

4/10

If anyone could link me the English end credits with all the companions returning (as well as the japanese ending song) that would be great!

vondecayle

This movie had some good moments, specially in the first half. However…

What exactly is a rainbow hero?? A trainer who befriends pokemon and fights Ho-oh as a test of strenght/friendship?

Marshadow’s involvement is rather confusing. At first it seems he is guiding Ash by showing him a world without pokemon, thus making Ash snap out of his anger, but at the end he takes the feather (which gives him power) and he leads an army of pokemon to attack him to the point were he basically dies…so what does he want exactly?
That part was not necessary. They could’ve given Ash some sort of other test if that is what they where going for.

7/10 I think

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Rest in peace AU verse
You were fun while you lasted, definitely needed imo as movies after DP had become stale and this brought much needed fresh breath to the movie roster
ICY, Power of Us and SoJ were all top tier movies reminiciest of the strong OS-DP movie era rather than the rest after Arceus and the Jewel of Life

vondecayle

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
I definitely place those two above this one.
Out of the three, this was definitely the weakest entry. It’s not unwatchable like the Keldeo movie but it also wasn’t great like Spell of the Unown. I just felt really disappointed how little we got to see Ho-oh and that it didn’t even have any impact on the main conflict plot. The characters literally build up the hype of the Rainbow Wing and how special it was for 80% of the movie and then we get Marshadow stealing all the glory and Ho-oh on screen for about five minutes at most and it just sat there doing absolutely nothing except flapping it’s wings. We were denied any exciting scenes with Ho-oh which is what should have been the main focus of the movie.

Last edited:

KyogreThunder

Call of Fate
Liked the movie, even if I'm not the biggest fan of multiverse theory, in the games or otherwise. I liked seeing Pikachu roam around the lab, instead of being in a PokeBall, Charmeleon/Charizard never disobeying Ash, and Ho-oh dropping a single feather after Pikachu defeated the Spearow flock. Verity was cute, and I was glad she wasn't actually related to Cynthia, and while Sorrel wasn't that interesting, I liked seeing him help Charmander recover, and his backstory with Luxray was heartbreaking. Incineroar vs Charmeleon was brutal, but it was cool to see Charizard finally beat Incineroar.
9/10

Last edited: