• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

I don't think Satoshi, Pikachu, and Team Rocket will ever retire from the main anime...

Mew2

Team Rocket's Enemy
The problem with another battling trainer is that it clashes with what Ash is doing.
Not if Ash is doing a world tournament type battle circuit while the other battle character would be doing the regional circuit like in the games or if there is a different type of battle circuit like there could have been in Kalos with the Battle Chateau.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Mew2 said:
Not if Ash is doing a world tournament type battle circuit while the other battle character would be doing the regional circuit like in the games or if there is a different type of battle circuit like there could have been in Kalos with the Battle Chateau.

That still wouldn't work from my viewpoint. In the past many viewers wanted some of the female protagonists to do something like that where they'd battle in Gyms that Satoshi already beat or in other competitions as part of their regular goal without the frills of Contests, and some even thought that Gou would be a good candidate for that in the current series, but I think it's clear by now that the writers would rather leave hardcore battling to Satoshi.

MattySadler

I love Ash but I guess I wish both he and this series had grown up along with me

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
Honestly it's time Ash hangs up his trainer shoes. He needs to become less of a focal point. I would be fine with Ash as a tutor for young trainers. I think the writers should have made Ash the tutor for Victor & Gloria in Galar. Also I think Ash should beat the living crap out of Team Rocket until they bleed to death. He can bludgeon them with a metal pipe.
This already sounds like bad fanfiction.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Go is new protagonist and Ash is still with us... so...
Dear god, as much as I like Goh I don't want him becoming the main protagonist lmao
Both of them are co protagonists as of now, I still can see ash journey coming to an end and a new journey starting for another protagonist for the 30th anniversary

Anyone who has watched SM knows TR can still be treated right and like actual characters with proper development and focus episodes. They need more agenda to them than plot devices which sadly Journeys makes them more of.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
To answer the OP question: No, they won't retire anytime soon. But the anime did show some of our speculations wrong, like Ash not winning any official leagues, him not capturing any Pokemons that aren't this gen, only the past companions from the previous series would make cameos at the current series, etc, so they can still surprise us.

Nikita Dracovish

THE NUMBERS, MASON!
I'm actually surprised GF/TPCi hasn't been pushing the "alternate" anime or even Adventures as much. I notice a lot of people here complain about Go or Ash, but then they ignore Twilight Wings, Generations, Origins - Hell, I remember not even hearing about Chronicles when I was a kid, and I was crazy about Pokemon back then.

I wonder what caused TPCi to step away from stuff like The Legend of Thunder...

CMButch

Kanto is love. Kanto is life.
Dear god, as much as I like Goh I don't want him becoming the main protagonist lmao
Both of them are co protagonists as of now, I still can see ash journey coming to an end and a new journey starting for another protagonist for the 30th anniversary

Anyone who has watched SM knows TR can still be treated right and like actual characters with proper development and focus episodes. They need more agenda to them than plot devices which sadly Journeys makes them more of.
I just noticed something if they wanted to remove Ash or had plans why did they put AU Ash? I mean wouldn't be better if they were to remove him to put some new kid and basically promote him via movies and then boom, he is in the anime? I think AU Ash for me is clear slate that Ash will be with us until the end of anime.

Oh and maybe what if there is new protag what if it is AU Ash? I mean it's plausible remember what happened a year ago when people debated whether is AU Ash or main Ash. I would not mind AU Ash.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
I just noticed something if they wanted to remove Ash or had plans why did they put AU Ash? I mean wouldn't be better if they were to remove him to put some new kid and basically promote him via movies and then boom, he is in the anime? I think AU Ash for me is clear slate that Ash will be with us until the end of anime.

Oh and maybe what if there is new protag what if it is AU Ash? I mean it's plausible remember what happened a year ago when people debated whether is AU Ash or main Ash. I would not mind AU Ash.
I guess it explains why continuity has been inconsistent as heck since DP ended

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
It was a sacrifice that damaged him in the long run.
That I agree on
But looking back at BW I really don't like how people complain about it being the series breaking continuity. It broke ash's development, not continuity as a whole considering it referenced Ash sinnoh deeds in the first ep, there would be constant references to past events, past characters returned and had grown and reserves returned (even if it was majority charizard and then rest of the mons in the end). Heck all companions and Mons being shown in the end clearly fits how other series used to end and lead into the new series.
XY is the series that started the trend of anime being dubious in continuity. It built on BW ending but barely referenced it, esp with Alexa. Ash never brought up past events, no previous characters returned and no reserves, and the ending could be self contained. Obviously it's still part of continuity but it is when the anime became dubious
SM was better than XY in regards with past characters returning, ash shown giving his Kalos mons to ash, ash referencing past things, some reserves returning for an episode, and the next series being set up.

Ditto B1tch

Unfortunately, they won't and that's why the anime sucks.
Pokemon had everything to be one of the best anime ever, but past seasons 1-5 the anime enters in a cycle that turns it into boring and a waste of time to watch as the plot becomes predictable.
The truth is that GameFreak/Nintendo doesn't give a sh*t about the anime, they just make it to promote the game

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
I just don't see what's next for Ash if he beats Leon and becomes the best trainer in the world, hence why for the first time ever I do see a small possibility of him stopping being the main character. Heck, recently, he didn't even appear in a whole episode for the first time ever.

But looking back at BW I really don't like how people complain about it being the series breaking continuity

It's because those references you mention didn't happen until Best Wishes! Season 2. Season 1, in keeping with the games' theme of having only new Pokémon, was far more disjointed from previous generations of the Pokémon anime, that many fans were even quite surprised when S2 was announced that Dawn and Cynthia were returning. Just go to pages 20-50 of this thread to see people's absolutely shocked reactions that Dawn and Cynthia were back, nothing like the reactions when Misty and May returned because this was actually totally unexpected to many people, and you'll even find some people saying that this proves that BW Ash is the same as DP Ash. https://forums.serebii.net/threads/best-wishes-season-2-read-the-first-post.563090/page-19

My point is, even though looking back as you say, BW has a lot of continuity, it was not originally as clear as it is now that BW would have continuity, and when many people think back to series, they remember their first time watching through it (and many people may have only watched it one time) hence why they recall BW that way.

Vini310

I'm actually surprised GF/TPCi hasn't been pushing the "alternate" anime or even Adventures as much. I notice a lot of people here complain about Go or Ash, but then they ignore Twilight Wings, Generations, Origins - Hell, I remember not even hearing about Chronicles when I was a kid, and I was crazy about Pokemon back then.

I wonder what caused TPCi to step away from stuff like The Legend of Thunder...
Exactly.
At the end of the day, the people who like the alternative anime are, at best, a vocal minority. That's the same reason spin-off titles don't get near as much coverage (be it from mainstream media, or Pokémon fans themselves) as the main series.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
OLM is dirt cheap and sells stuff more often that the effort - which includes attention to detail - and money put in any of those side stories, sadly.

It's the Call of Duty approach in anime form. Really questionable quality that still tricks the customers into buying.

Leonhart

Imagineer
CMButch said:

I still don't comprehend why they decided to create the AU Satoshi for the newer movies given that the AU Satoshi's personality is pretty much the same as Satoshi's personality from the main anime. I would've understood if they had just replaced him with a brand new original character rather than create a near identical doppelganger of Satoshi with only a few minor differences.

Nikita Dracovish

THE NUMBERS, MASON!
Exactly.
At the end of the day, the people who like the alternative anime are, at best, a vocal minority. That's the same reason spin-off titles don't get near as much coverage (be it from mainstream media, or Pokémon fans themselves) as the main series.

I think they're too afraid of rocking the boat - but the time's gotta be soon. They already went ahead with the dex cuts - who knows what else is next? I'm not saying this is inherently negative, but Go really does feel like a bit more of an attempt at mashing the formula up, what with compressing the game adaptation down to a few episodes.

OLM is dirt cheap and sells stuff more often that the effort - which includes attention to detail - and money put in any of those side stories, sadly.

It's the Call of Duty approach in anime form. Really questionable quality that still tricks the customers into buying.

I dunno, Twilight Wings and the side anime really felt like Nintendo giving a chance to flex some studio muscle. The end battle in TW was great.

I still don't comprehend why they decided to create the AU Satoshi for the newer movies given that the AU Satoshi's personality is pretty much the same as Satoshi's personality from the main anime. I would've understood if they had just replaced him with a brand new original character rather than create a near identical doppelganger of Satoshi with only a few minor differences.

Something tells me either they wanted to revisit the old stuff without overwriting it, or someone wanted to have a series separate from the anime itself.

Morax

King of heroes
All good things come to an end and pokemon is no exception. What i'm worried about is how they would retire him. I hope it's not a half-assed "and his adventures continue.." kind of farewell. Ash deserves a proper send off like achieving his goal, getting married, having children, settling down, that sort of thing.