• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

I find it nonsense that Ash is still 10 years old

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kabuto

little punks!
Assuming this is true, (that's what people seem to be saying in the episode discussions), I think this is complete bull. He seemed at least 12 or 13 in the DP sagas. And if he's ten that means that Gary's 10 too (there's no way in hell he's still 10). What about Paul, there can't be a dynamic age difference between the two. I understand BW wants to go back to the series roots, but this is ridiculous. Again, assuming it's true.

Silver_Seoul

As much as they make him seem as though he aged, the writers have explicitly stated he will stay ten. Not sure why they can't even age him by a year or two, which wouldn't even make a difference, but the world shall age while Ash never does.

Fa7e

ya i know i hate it, but its w/e ill get over it, he looks/sounds/acts older than when the show first started....but hes still 10 -_-

PePer

It's funny how Ash seems to be older but is still 10 however, I have no problem with that, Bart Simpson is still 10 as well, and people have no problem with that.

Last edited:

Ash-kid

Ash-kid
Yeah, he really seems older than 10, but his official age is 10. I guess this is something we need to get used to.

Evilo

BEAUTIFUL!
I think at the end of kanto, at least the DUB had said that it had been a whole year since they had last been to pallet. But I never really trust the dub....not sure if it said that in the original script...

Anyways, all of Ash's screwing around with the palkia and dialga's space-time continuum has gotten him stuck in the biggest, blackhole-esque time paradox ever. Either that, or Ash has figured out the secrets to eternal youth.

Haunter ゴースト

I found this really disapointing, i consider every new saga to be a new year (apart from orange league, i'd count that in as kanto), so right now if i had not heard about the narrator saying he was still 10, i would have considered him to be 15.

BCVM22

Assuming this is true, (that's what people seem to be saying in the episode discussions), I think this is complete bull. He seemed at least 12 or 13 in the DP sagas. And if he's ten that means that Gary's 10 too (there's no way in hell he's still 10). What about Paul, there can't be a dynamic age difference between the two. I understand BW wants to go back to the series roots, but this is ridiculous. Again, assuming it's true.

Wow, you must hate half of American fiction's long-running and serialized heroes too, then, because none of them ever age a year beyond the whims of the writers either.

Spider-Man alone, who took decades to age from a high school student to a college student to a man of indiscriminate age somewhere between his mid-20s and early 30s and hasn't aged a day since, must drive you into a fit of absolute rage.

Ace Trainer Star

The Lazy Trainer
See my post in the Episode thread for my reaction to this. In short, I flipped out. It makes no sense.

As much as they make him seem as though he aged, the writers have explicitly stated he will stay ten. Not sure why they can't even age him by a year or two, which wouldn't even make a difference, but the world shall age while Ash never does.

Actually, I don't think anyone has aged period.
Think about it, even the characters we haven't seen in a while (i'm thinking of Gary right now, but he looked pretty old in the beginning...) seem to have aged. Even Brock's siblings don't seem to be any older from the first episode we saw them in and the one in chronicles.

I also found this:

Tv Tropes (Again.) said:
The producers of the series explicitly said in an interview that Ash and his friends will remain 10 for as long as the show is on, however many years that may be.

Bulbapedia has an article on this

randomspot555

See my post in the Episode thread for my reaction to this. In short, I flipped out. It makes no sense.

Neither do monsters that have unexplainable physical, elemental, and mental powers that can cause world wide disasters but are rarely, if ever, lethal. These same monsters can be stored inside YOUR POCKET in a BALL OF ENERGY and the capsule MAGICALLY SHRINKS DOWN.

If Satoshi's AGE is what bothers you because "it isn't realistic" or "it doesn't make any sense", then serialized fiction isn't for you. Hell, Pokemon isn't for you either, because they've never explained how Pokemon came to be.

deoxysdude94

Meme Historian
Ash will always be 10 because he is so awesome. He's so awesome, he's immortal!!!

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
It makes some sense that Ash is still a 10 year-old boy when you stop to consider that the key demographic that the anime is targeting is children from ages 7-12. 10 is around the middle so they choose to keep Ash at that age so that children can relate better with his character. I mean, how could children ages 7-12 relate to a 13-15 year-old boy? They cannot, which is why Ash remains 10. He's a little boy forever ♫

Trainer White

The writers should have at least made him 14 being 10 is ****ing retarded.

no, i think in the pichu bros short film, it aid Ash and pikachu have been together for one year, and that it was his birthday. but maybe thats just the american version.

Ememew

Emerald Mew
Haven't you figured it out? Ash is one of those sparkly vampires who doesn't age and hangs around with/stalks girls who are the age he appears ;)

Anyway, he's the age the "target audience" relates to, that's why he doesn't grow.

EDIT: I seem to recall multiple times in the anime when Ash has stated it's been "one year" since he met Pikachu, not just in the Pichu Bros. short. Amazing how many times the same year can repeat in fiction, isn't it?

Last edited:

Emperor Empoleon

Honor of Kalos
^There was a clip show in DP that said they were in Sinnoh for a year too..

I've usually considered each saga to be more or less a year, but if the writers say he's 10 then I guess thats it. Probably so he can relate more to the target audience

Caseydia

Ace Trainer
Ash's age will never change until they announce it. The way Ash's design is now, he looks like a ten year old. But we need to understand the difference between anime television and reality television.

Status
Not open for further replies.