• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

I find it nonsense that Ash is still 10 years old

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juputoru

M-m-m-m-onobear?!
I find it kinda odd that Ash is still exactly 10 years old, but I don't really care that he's still 10. It's a kid's show, Ash is going to stay a kid. It's a cartoon, he can get away with not aging. This decision may annoy a certain segment of the fanbase, but the writers are never going to age Ash.

I found it ridiculous that Ash can't age, yet May and Dawn somehow turned 10 after he did. How does that make any sense?

Not to mention May is at least one year older than Dawn is.
To be honest, I'm immune to weird time paradoxes in anime & manga by now. ****ing hell, I read Dectective Conan. They've blatently gone from 1994 tech to 2010 tech, have had multiple season changes and repeated celebrations of important holidays, and despite all that, haven't had anyone age at all or act like more than a few months have passed since the start of the story. Pokemon is small fry compared to that level of logic bending.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
One inquiry.

Wouldn't Ash be 11 since during the third (I believe) Pikachu short, Ash said he was with Pikachu for a year?

Sorry if I am misunderstanding something.

Soroft

Cat and Mouse
*Sigh* I knew those rice cakes Brock made would do something to their metabolisms...

Oh well. Anyway, I think that most TV shows base character age upon their mental state, ie. the more they progress the more they grow and age. However, Pokemon seems to be an exception to this, seeing as Ash always learns and grows with Pikachu, who should really be one of the strongest Pokemon out there by now, whereas in the reality of the show most of the new trainers put up a good fight against Ash. Spiderman and the like never really learned or progressed much, simply lived their lives and fought crime, picking things up as they go along. Ash is an immensively dynamic character, and therefore should be at least 13-14 if not older.

I highly doubt that he's gone through four leagues before his eleventh birthday.

Carina

Plasbad!!
It makes some sense that Ash is still a 10 year-old boy when you stop to consider that the key demographic that the anime is targeting is children from ages 7-12. 10 is around the middle so they choose to keep Ash at that age so that children can relate better with his character. I mean, how could children ages 7-12 relate to a 13-15 year-old boy? They cannot, which is why Ash remains 10. He's a little boy forever ♫

I reckon the fact that he doesn't age at all (2 years is hard to believe but at least it means he HAS grown up...but to not age AT ALL ever?) makes him harder to relate to. The children in that 7-12 demographic are going to go "wtf?" themselves when they age 5 years and Ash is still 10 in 2015. Nevermind it being a bit creepy, it's just hard to relate to a character who doesn't grow up. I'm sure they can make Ash age AND give him all the little boy qualities that kids aged 7-12 can see in themselves. Heck, Sailor Moon (who was 14 years old and 16 by the end of the series) had millions of pre-teen fans.

mew151

Thunder Trainer
Ridiculous or nonsense, Ash was stated to be 10. I don't mind this age as long as we continue to see his growth.

Him remaining 10 was always questionable to me. Especially since that Johto episode appeared where his Lapras returned and was already an adult compared to his last appearance in Orange Islands.

Kdude146

idc its a cartoon and look at Bart he has been 10 for 22 years

FireKero!

SWABLR
Since it was confirmed in anime that he's still 10. Trying to oppose the fact is a nonsense.

Also like Shadow said, it's all nonsense that we even complain about it. XD

Nope. They're lying to us. Clearly the japanese have found the fountain of youth, and some of that water slipped into the ink containers of the animators.

@icewolf-The Simpsons is different though....it has no linear, continuous plot. And even recurring events don't necessarily make sense. That's always been apart of the magic though. :S

Skiks

MUCH RESPECT
@icewolf-The Simpsons is different though....it has no linear, continuous plot. And even recurring events don't necessarily make sense. That's always been apart of the magic though. :S
Well theres cartoons with linear plots that have no real sense of aging. Powerpuff girls, Samurai Jack, and a buncha others I don't feel the need to list through. Honestly it's a cartoon so they're allowed to do a lot of things that don't have to make sense in our reality.
And about the kids being confused 5 years from now. Well they may not even care about this show 5 years from now anyways. I really think a lot of you are thinking too deeply into this then is needed.
I reckon the fact that he doesn't age at all (2 years is hard to believe but at least it means he HAS grown up...but to not age AT ALL ever?) makes him harder to relate to. The children in that 7-12 demographic are going to go "wtf?" themselves when they age 5 years and Ash is still 10 in 2015. Nevermind it being a bit creepy, it's just hard to relate to a character who doesn't grow up. I'm sure they can make Ash age AND give him all the little boy qualities that kids aged 7-12 can see in themselves. Heck, Sailor Moon (who was 14 years old and 16 by the end of the series) had millions of pre-teen fans.
You imply pokemon has an actual plot that is interesting to people in that age bracket in japan. Well it doesn't and it has a niche fanbase over here if anything.

Last edited:

AzukanAsimbu

Petal Paladin
I found it ridiculous that Ash can't age, yet May and Dawn somehow turned 10 after he did. How does that make any sense?

Not to mention May is at least one year older than Dawn is.

it disturbs me that dawn is 10 and wears a mini skirt

Shneak

this is a Nessa x Sonia stan account ✨
I have to admit, it pisses me off. How can you not age? Logically, he should be 15-16.

I can understand it though. If Pokemon lasts 'forever', kids don't want to see Ash in his older years.

Aurath8

It disturbs me that Brock if Ash does age, then Brock should be 20-something. And Johanna never became the slightest bit suspicious.

-Unicorno-

Think Magical!
i dont understand how brock is a gym leader and in the entei and unknown movie entei says that you must be 21 but if that is what you wish then how is brock 11 years older yet acts the same

TicoPokemonMaster

Time does exist to some extent. Ash has been seen as a child, as have Oak and Ash's mom, Brock, Misty, May and Dawn. Plus it was said that a year passed when Ash's was travelling Kanto the first time. The Ditto trainer in Sinnoh has been training for a month. So I guess that birthdays are just skipped. except for the 10th birthday for many characters. What would totally be out of the loop is if Max comes back as a 10 year old and Ash is still 10.

Skiks

MUCH RESPECT
I have to admit, it pisses me off. How can you not age? Logically, he should be 15-16.

I can understand it though. If Pokemon lasts 'forever', kids don't want to see Ash in his older years.
Easy. Billions of cartoons do this very often. You need to stop thinking about how it works in the real world.

Caseydia

Ace Trainer
Time does exist to some extent. Ash has been seen as a child, as have Oak and Ash's mom, Brock, Misty, May and Dawn. Plus it was said that a year passed when Ash's was travelling Kanto the first time. The Ditto trainer in Sinnoh has been training for a month. So I guess that birthdays are just skipped. except for the 10th birthday for many characters. What would totally be out of the loop is if Max comes back as a 10 year old and Ash is still 10.

I agree with you. It would seem dumb to show Max being 10 if Ash himself was still ten years old. Why can't the writers just let the kids grow already?

Easy. Billions of cartoons do this very often. You need to stop thinking about how it works in the real world.

Come on bb, you know how these people are? Drawings are real to them. They have feelings and everything!! So why don't they age, it's ridiculous!!

Yeah. He's still 10. Sorry. You're still a bunch of pedos. ):

Ememew

Emerald Mew
Seems to me that the problem here is that people have discovered anime/manga/books/shows/etc. in which the characters DO age and go through character growth. They start to prefer the storytelling methods which allow for realistic character growth and begin to feel their old favorites should adopt this method as well.

What they forget is that they likely never cared about Ash's static age when they were the age of the target audience, or before discovering Digimon, Harry Potter, Naruto, or whatever other franchise first introduced them to characters who could age.

Remember that the anime is geared toward Pokemon fans of the age group that doesn't care about characters growing older and/or would prefer to watch the adventures of someone younger and easier to relate to.

What can you do about it? Well, if you have a problem with Ash still being 10 but still like other aspects of the anime enough to continue watching, remind yourself that it's just a show and there's no need to take things so seriously. If the lack of growth is enough to make you stop watching the show, turn to different media for your Pokemon stories (like the Pokemon Special/Adventures manga, for a quick example).

TurtwigFan1

burning it down
At least make him around 12-13. I understand WHY he's still 10, but it's just annoying. He's travelled over 6 regions (Kanto twice, Orange Islands, Johto, Hoenn and Sinnoh) so theoretically he should be about 16!

Hell, if anyone doesn't appear to be 10 it's Paul. What kind of 10 year sounds like he does? But apparently he is. Ash at least looks his age now.

Status
Not open for further replies.