1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

I find it nonsense that Ash is still 10 years old

Discussion in 'Animé Spoilers' started by Kabuto, Sep 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gaiash

Gaiash Champion Scientist

That just means they weren't born on the same day. Ash not aging doesn't change the fact that they turned 10 on different days.

2. Ace Trainer Star

Ace Trainer Star The Lazy Trainer

Yes. I was like "wait what?!" when I found out Paul was 10. Ash usually looks close to his age (my guess was 12) But I thought Paul was older than that.

Interestingly enough, I just remembered that someone in one of the "freak out about ash's eyes" threads,someone said that maybe one of the artists found out that people thought they aged Ash and decided to try to make him look like a 10 year old again, by changing his eye color.

3. Sayho1234

Sayho1234 Well-Known Member

Actually in the prequel movie The Powerpuff Girls were born 5 years old, and then at the beginning of season 2 they had a 6th birthday party. So there's a real sense of aging in that cartoon series.

4. Gaiash

Gaiash Champion Scientist

I find it hillarious that people are suprised by this fact that was already common knowledge.

5. Nacreous

Nacreous Fire trainer

I find it nonsense that Ash will prob get the 3 starters again:/

6. Skiks

Skiks MUCH RESPECT

But they never get passed Kindergarten. Which kinda breaks the idea of aging altogether.

7. Sayho1234

True, I see your point there. I think the reason why they never allowed them to get passed Kindergarten is because Ms. Keane was such a vital and important part of the main cast.

8. Skiks

Skiks MUCH RESPECT

Yeah thats one thing. I think the only reason they even had a birthday is well they needed it for the plot. Cartoons probably only use aging when the plot is convenient for them. Otherwise they try to avoid it altogether if it's not needed.
    I see pokemon the same way. I don't see the benefit in ash aging beyond getting a few nitpickers to chillax.

9. Jaggy101

Jaggy101 I'm Jaggy and proud

If he does, i'll be disappointed, i think it should be like Hoenn, only getting one starter.

10. Yanmegamaster

Yanmegamaster CreateDragon-BugType

Could it be that when Ho-Ho flew by ash in the first episode, it could have given him eternal youth?

11. Lee-san

Lee-san Limbo Messiah

12. TeddiUrsa

TeddiUrsa Well-Known Member

This.
    Detective Conan is the prime example of a good manga/anime that suffers from a broken timelinie. I enjoy Conan very much even with the strange time paradoxes and Pokémon isn't even close to the Detective Conan level.

It's like Simpsons, were the characters just don't age while time flows anyhow ( Sideshow Bob is in jail for several years now, etc.). There isn't a timeline in Simpsons, but various events that happened during the shows run and are canon to later episodes, the same can be said about Pokémon.

It is not like characters in Pokémon don't mature over their run ( or simply change their character), they just don't age. This seemed obviously to me ever since we saw Takeshi's family with the infant brother of his that is 1-2 years old for 13 years now.

The characters in Pokémon don't act like 10 year olds anyway if you ask me.
    That's just how most animes ( or most cartoons for that matter) are.

13. Poke Master 7

Poke Master 7 Boulder Trainer

I find it kinda funny how that just brings even more differences to the anime and manga. While in the manga, the characters age as it goes on, in the anime the writers are afraid to have Ash age even a year. At least the manga is realistic about the passage of time. Oh God forbid Ash ages along the course of his journey with the maturity he gains. But then all the kids who don't age and perform feats and survive things no normal 10 year old can won't be able to identify. Wait a minute....

14. TehGr81

TehGr81 College graduate

I stopped caring about Ash's age a couple years ago. Besides, most characters in the anime are immune to aging. Sure, we saw Ash as a little kid but once he turned ten he's stayed that way. If he hasn't gotten any older now he never will.

15. foxyman1167

foxyman1167 From Zero To Hero

I stopped caring mainly because its a cartoon.

16. randomspot555

randomspot555 Well-Known Member

Why should the anime be like the manga? If you want the features of "the manga", whatever that is, then read it.

17. Ememew

Ememew Emerald Mew

"The manga" is probably referring to Pokemon Special (Adventures in English). It's a manga based on Pokemon. The characters age as the story goes and each arc focuses on different main characters.

Anyway, as I posted before (which seems to have been ignored), the anime is focused on fans of an age group that does not care about characters staying the same age. It's likely that when many people complaining about it now first watched the show that they did not mind (or likely even notice) the fact that Ash stayed ten.

The "problem" likely occurred for these fans once they were introduced to some franchise or another (possibly Harry Potter or Naruto or what have you) in which the characters DID age. They found that they liked this method of storytelling better and want it to be used on an old favorite, perhaps not realizing that they didn't mind it either until more recently.

Just remember that in fiction, cartoons especially, time lasts as long as the writers want it to. A year story-wise can last decades in the real world, or a multi-year jump can occur from one week to the next. It's fiction.

If it bothers you, but not enough to stop watching, just remind yourself that it's just a show. Time is in the hands of the writers. If it bothers you enough that you can't stand the anime anymore, check out a different aspect of the franchise (the PokeSpe manga is an example that's already been mentioned here).

18. SeriesVet

SeriesVet Member

The thing is, is that Ash has aged.
    They just don't get into the specifics of it because they can't have him get too old, but time does pass.
    I can't tell you how many times the Narrarator has said.. "it's been months since we last...." or something like that.
    Heck, during the end of the 1st season he says it's been 14 months since Ash left Pallet Town to start his journey-you know 14 months....over a year..
    So...they are having him get older..just not quickly..which is good.

19. Mayfan

Mayfan Wh-hoo!

Maybe the Pokemon world is like Mars, where a year is over 800 days.

20. Sayho1234

This.

10char

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.