• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

I guess its OU: Smashers

jaredlapared

Assassino Allenatore
So its time for take two. A trip to the simulator and some tests later has devised a new strategy to take home some kind of honor. Im going to try out a new team for a basic single battle theme. The team consists of Whimsicott, Swampert, Ferrothorn, Sigilyph, Rampardos, and Chansey.
I'd like to know what anybody thinks.

:547:;260;:598:;409;:561:;113;

Whimsicott (F) @ leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EV's: 236 DEF, 252 Sp DEF, 20 SPD
nature:Impish
-U-turn
-Leech seed
-Tailwind
-Taunt

So my leader here has a pretty simple job. His main job is to counter pokemon that would set up to sweep, while at the same time setting up my own team to sweep the opponent. Thanks to the EV's leech seed heals a nice amount each turn. Paired with leftovers and im getting about a third to take home. Taunt breaks setup in others and forces a switch on occasion which is nice, but a little inconsistent. Tailwind doubles the speed for the team which is well recieved by the less swift of the group, namely rampardos and swampert. I've had times where the enemy has simply countered my team left and right, and im left with nothing but Whimsicott. I was wondering if there was a different move, set of EV's, or nature i should switch to if it would help.

Swampert (M) @ Salac berry
Ability: Torrent
EV's: 200 DEF, 52 ATK, 200 Sp ATK, 56 HP
Nature: Relaxed
-Surf
-Earthquake
-Sludge Wave
-Stealth rock

This is my pal Swampert. I used a mixed strategy here so that he could be leniant enough to get targets like Chancey and still defeat Tyranitar. In that way i like him as a hard hitter. He's never been the guy to finish a fight for me, more like the one i've turned to to get rid of the big obstacles in teams like Scizor And Volcarona. I usually start this guy in battle using stealth rocks if it isnt already up. Then I follow with the best move for the situation. Surf is Awesome STAB to hit Volcarona and bulky guys like forretress. Earthquake 2HKO's all the ferrothorn ive come across. Sludge wave was my wild card to protect me from faster set up grass types like Breloom and Septile. In my experiences hes worked OK but id like to know if he could be bettered particularly in EV placement. Ice beam was also an option i considered next to sludge wave and itd be nice to know which is better.

Rampardos (F) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sheer force
EV's: 252 ATK, 252 SPD, 6 Sp DEF
Nature: Jolly
-Head Smash
-Thunderpunch
-Earthquake
-Crunch

So Rampardos was a fun idea of mine that can be used so long as his speed was emphasized as much as possible. In that regard, i have applied full speed EV's, given a choice scarf, and taught my Whimsicott tailwind, so i have no question of whether or not hell get his two cents in. Head Smash Makes me so proud as it pushes aside verything that does not resist it and puts it into the ground. Crunch was intended to help me be rid of pests like jellicent which otherwise bother me with their jellicentlyness, alongside a myriad of powerful psychics including Alakazam and Duosion. Thunderpunch defeats tentacruel and vaporeon whose Special attack OHKO's rampy. Earthquake is my yet-to-be-used-method of getting rid of ferrothorn. I was wondering if running this guy on this team was a good idea at all, even though its worked well so far to win me matches against some tough teams.

Sigilyph (M) @ Flame Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EV's 56 DEF, 200 Sp DEF, 252 Sp ATK
Nature: Bold
-Calm Mind
-Stored Power
-Psych Shift
-Roost

Sigilyph...is practically unfair. When this thing gets going, there is simply no stopping it. The strategy works astoundingly well. The nature increases defence which is fortified by psycho shift burning anything too threatening. The natural Sp Def along with the Ev's and calm mind make it terribly difficult to attack this thing. 252 special attack means that if you let this thing go, your making a mistake. Roost heals really well and is the biggest troll. Stored Power is the bow on top of it all, ensuring that they would want to turn off the DS or close the simulator to get away. Ive run this thing against a sigilyph that does the same thing except that it uses cosmic power. He used his stored power and dealt 10% damage. I used mine and 1HKOed everything he had with him. Latias, Chancey, Ferrothorn, just fell to the ground. I guess dark would be a problem though ive yet to come across it.

Chansey (M) @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EV's: 6 HP, 252 DEF, 252 Sp DEF
Nature: Calm
-substitute
-wish
-toxic
-seismic toss

Chancey is pretty nice. Its a reliable switch in when i know somebodys about to use a special attack because it absorbs it like a sponge. Substitute helps absorb damage while wish brings back the loss of health. Toxic is a good status as Chancey just keeps wishing and substituting, effectively stalling somebody out. Seismic toss is weak but dependable damage. The biggest problem ive had with Chancey is Toxic. Toxic is nice damage which Chancey can stall pretty well. But Ive noticed people switch into poisen types almost imediately after chancey goes in so i guess its predictable to see one with toxic. I was considering thunder wave and was wondering if that would be better. Lastly, ive been pondering the nature. Its kind of a hard decision between bold and calm and was wondering which worked better, but thats about it.

Ferrothorn (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: iron barbs
EV's 252 DEF, 108 ATK, 148 Sp DEf
Nature: Relaxed
-Stealth Rocks
-Spikes
-Curse
-Gyro Ball

I was aware that so many people had one of these, i just had to try it myself. Whaddaya know? Not too shabby. The main spiel on these guys is entry hazards as well as that devastating Iron Barbs-Rocky Helmet combo.I put curse and gyro ball on so that on the extremely low chance it survived more than two turns (one to switch in Volcarona the second two kill ferrothorn) it would have a good synergous move to use that emphasizes its low speed and decent attack. I like this guy. Hes so nasty with his hazards and his offensive defense. It makes me laugh when i see others use him and i just switch mine in to get a laugh( im not so much of a noob that ive done this more than once).

Anyhow, that there is the gang. I released a team in a different thread for the first time with the intention of getting some pointers. They showed me some serious flaws and mentioned it looked like the kind of team you would see in game. I only just learned of the awesome testing abilities of the online battle simulator. Thank you to Master Coordinato Ilan and Doormat Troll loco1234.

Tell me what you think of them.
Ciao

loco1234

BEEDOOBEEDOOBEEDOO
Firstly, this is still a primarily UU team

Whimsicott doesn't need Spe EVs, stick them in HP. Its best set for OU is probably:

Whimsicott @ Leftovers
Trait: Prankster
Impish Nature
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD (SpD is Special Defense, not Speed)
- Encore
- Taunt
- Leech Seed
- U-turn

It's pretty simple. Taunt and Encore are amazing together and both get priority, which is awesome. Leech Seed also gets priority and lets you help out your team. U-turn is its same old great self and the reason you use Impish over Bold. The EVs maximize bulk. You don't need more Spe with Prankster.

I strongly recommend you replace Swampert with Gastrodon.

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Trait: Storm Drain
Sassy Nature
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
- Earthquake
- Scald
- Toxic
- Recover

Pretty standard wall set here. EQ is typical awesomeness with great power, accuracy and STAB. Scald has that burn chance, great on Gastrodon as it already has awesome Special bulk. Toxic for status damage, which is always great. Recover should be pretty self-explanatory, healing off damage alongside Leftovers. Storm Drain gives you a Water immunity (yes, IMMUNITY) and +1 SpA if you take a Water move. You can opt to run Earth Power over Earthquake to capitalize more on that, and if you choose to do so you could run Calm over Sassy, as the Atk drop would be meaningless then.

Rampardos is not viable in OU. Even with a Scarf and Tailwind support. Scizor OHKOs with Bullet Punch. Breloom OHKOs with Mach Punch. Basically all the common Priority users bar CB Dragonite OHKO it. You don't have any priority so maybe switch it to one of those? I'll list Dragonite and Scizor here, as I am not that familiar with Breloom

Dragonite @ Choice Band
Trait: Multiscale
Adamant Nature
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
- Extremespeed
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch

This thing punches holes in existence. Extremespeed, priority with a CB boost coming off this behemoth is terrifying. Outrage and Earthquake, a lot more so. Fire Punch smashes Ferrothorn, Forretress and Skarmory. Outrage is your main attack. Earthquake handles most Steels, bar the three I mentioned. Fire Punch ruins them. Extremespeed is great and allows for revenge killing.

Scizor @ Choice Band
Trait: Technician
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- U-Turn
- Pursuit

This Scizor doesn't quite have Dragonite's power or speed but its Bullet Punch is even more dangerous than Dragonite's Extremespeed once Technician is factored in. Superpower hits Steels that resist your priority, U-Turn is standard on a Choice set, letting you damage and switch simultaneously (it also gets STAB. If only it were 10 points weaker....) I like Pursuit in the last slot for trapping things and picking off weakened Pokes that try to run. EVs are pretty much standard fare, the extra 4 in HP because it does more for you than sticking them in either defense would. Spe is for when you aren't using Bullet Punch.

Sigilyph is solid, I've run the same set on a Sand team. It IS UU, but it can do fine in OU. Speaking from experience here. Be careful of phazers, especially Dark-type (Tyranitar) though. They CAN stop it, and they will. They will wreck this thing. So would the occasional Red Card Forretress, provided it was at full HP.

Chansey, also good. Pretty basic wall Chansey here.

What's up with Ferrothorn's EVs? And I understand using Curse and Gyro Ball, although I prefer to run Thunder Wave/Leech Seed and Power Whip myself since I switch Ferro all the time, like when said Volcarona comes in. Rocky Helmet may seem like a good idea but you're much better off with Leftovers. Ferrothorn is a defensive wall first and foremost.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
Impish Nature
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip

This has a lot of staying power and when you factor in passive recovery and Leech Seed it won't be going any time soon. Power Whip gets good coverage, particularly against Water-types and it has stable power. And it lets you switch freely without worrying about losing Curse boosts. Iron Barbs does passive damage and gets fantastic synergy with Leftovers. Impish Nature drops your SpA, which you don't need anyway. The Def boost is great though, Ferro greatly appreciates it. Just keep it away from Fire-types.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
Firstly, this is still a primarily UU team

Whimsicott doesn't need Spe EVs, stick them in HP. Its best set for OU is probably:

Whimsicott @ Leftovers
Trait: Prankster
Impish Nature
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD (SpD is Special Defense, not Speed)
- Encore
- Taunt
- Leech Seed
- U-turn

It's pretty simple. Taunt and Encore are amazing together and both get priority, which is awesome. Leech Seed also gets priority and lets you help out your team. U-turn is its same old great self and the reason you use Impish over Bold. The EVs maximize bulk. You don't need more Spe with Prankster.

I strongly recommend you replace Swampert with Gastrodon.

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Trait: Storm Drain
Sassy Nature
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
- Earthquake
- Scald
- Toxic
- Recover

Pretty standard wall set here. EQ is typical awesomeness with great power, accuracy and STAB. Scald has that burn chance, great on Gastrodon as it already has awesome Special bulk. Toxic for status damage, which is always great. Recover should be pretty self-explanatory, healing off damage alongside Leftovers. Storm Drain gives you a Water immunity (yes, IMMUNITY) and +1 SpA if you take a Water move. You can opt to run Earth Power over Earthquake to capitalize more on that, and if you choose to do so you could run Calm over Sassy, as the Atk drop would be meaningless then.

Rampardos is not viable in OU. Even with a Scarf and Tailwind support. Scizor OHKOs with Bullet Punch. Breloom OHKOs with Mach Punch. Basically all the common Priority users bar CB Dragonite OHKO it. You don't have any priority so maybe switch it to one of those? I'll list Dragonite and Scizor here, as I am not that familiar with Breloom

Dragonite @ Choice Band
Trait: Multiscale
Adamant Nature
- Extremespeed
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch

This thing punches holes in existence. Extremespeed, priority with a CB boost coming off this behemoth is terrifying. Outrage and Earthquake, a lot more so. Fire Punch smashes Ferrothorn, Forretress and Skarmory. Outrage is your main attack. Earthquake handles most Steels, bar the three I mentioned. Fire Punch ruins them. Extremespeed is great and allows for revenge killing.

Scizor @ Choice Band
Trait: Technician
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- U-Turn
- Pursuit

This Scizor doesn't quite have Dragonite's power or speed but its Bullet Punch is even more dangerous than Dragonite's Extremespeed once Technician is factored in. Superpower hits Steels that resist your priority, U-Turn is standard on a Choice set, letting you damage and switch simultaneously (it also gets STAB. If only it were 10 points weaker....) I like Pursuit in the last slot for trapping things and picking off weakened Pokes that try to run. EVs are pretty much standard fare, the extra 4 in HP because it does more for you than sticking them in either defense would. Spe is for when you aren't using Bullet Punch.

Sigilyph is solid, I've run the same set on a Sand team. It IS UU, but it can do fine in OU. Speaking from experience here. Be careful of phazers, especially Dark-type (Tyranitar) though. They CAN stop it, and they will. They will wreck this thing. So would the occasional Red Card Forretress, provided it was at full HP.

Chansey, also good. Pretty basic wall Chansey here.

What's up with Ferrothorn's EVs? And I understand using Curse and Gyro Ball, although I prefer to run Thunder Wave/Leech Seed and Power Whip myself since I switch Ferro all the time, like when said Volcarona comes in. Rocky Helmet may seem like a good idea but you're much better off with Leftovers. Ferrothorn is a defensive wall first and foremost.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
Impish Nature
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip

This has a lot of staying power and when you factor in passive recovery and Leech Seed it won't be going any time soon. Power Whip gets good coverage, particularly against Water-types and it has stable power. And it lets you switch freely without worrying about losing Curse boosts. Iron Barbs does passive damage and gets fantastic synergy with Leftovers. Impish Nature drops your SpA, which you don't need anyway. The Def boost is great though, Ferro greatly appreciates it. Just keep it away from Fire-types.

And I'll list TechniLoom, who I hear was banned. I don't know, I haven't used him in a long time.

286.gif

Breloom @ Life Orb
Adamant - Technician
252 Attack, 252 HP, 4 Speed
-Spore
-Sword's Dance
-Mach Punch
-Bullet Seed

An early B/W threat that's become mostly outdated now, but deadly nevertheless.​

azeem40

Pokemon is fun!
TechniLoom is not banned. Genesect is banned according to Smogon forums, as an FYI.

Unless those UU Pokemon have a special purpose on your team that no other Pokemon serves, they don't really belong in OU. From what I see, there isn't a niche any of them fulfill in your team.

loco1234

BEEDOOBEEDOOBEEDOO
Rampardos wishes it was UU xD

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
Rampardos wishes it was UU xD

Rampardos is a monster in Trick Room, but outside of it, yeah. Not to mention it's weak to almost all forms of priority.

jaredlapared

Assassino Allenatore
Thanks for the advice guys. One of these days Ill look at the list of U/OU/UU/RU/NU and thatll be one less thing to worry about.