1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

I just realized something about which game I want to get...

Discussion in 'Let's Go, Pikachu & Eevee' started by Kisai, Sep 14, 2018 at 10:01 AM.

1. Kisai

Kisai Psychic

I wasn't too interested in Let's Go Pikachu, but when I heard about Let's Go Eevee, that was the one I instantly wanted. That soft, cuddly little guy, capable of evolving into one of several of my favorite Eevee forms.

But then I realized something: there's sort of a parallel between this, and Pokémon Yellow. In Pokémon Yellow, the main character was given a Pikachu as his main Pokémon.

What did his rival get? An Eevee.

Now I feel like this makes me sort of like the rival now. Like I'm not taking after the good-natured, well-intended protagonist, but instead following in the footsteps of the ill-mannered, arrogant, and jerkish rival.

The more I think about it now, the more I start to see Let's Go Pikachu as the "main character" version, and Let's Go Eevee as the "rival" version! ;_;

Fellow future Let's Go Eevee players...
    [​IMG]

I just wanted one of my favorite Pokémon as my companion. One that could evolve into any number of additional favorites... I never wanted to metaphorically become the rival. ;.;

2. Silent_Jay

Silent_Jay Active Member

I kinda always wanted each game of a pair to be parallel to each other in that respect. Each going through the same story but roles reversed. Would add that little bit extra to a 'version'.

I heard you can't evolve Eevee or Pikachu in the Let's Go! games though. This was quite a while ago so may not be true. Tbh I'm not planning on getting either game, at least anytime soon, so I haven't been keeping up with new information like most are.

3. Captain Jigglypuff

Captain Jigglypuff Leader of Jigglypuff

I think that may just be the Starter Eevee and Pikachu. Wild ones can still evolve.

4. PrinceOfFacade

PrinceOfFacade Ghost-Type Master

Oh, now I want the Eevee version even more.

5. Sαpphire

Sαpphire Well-Known Member

Right?

Like, honestly, I would love the little head canon that comes along with feeling like the rival and not just Silent Goody-Two-Shoes Protag #367. I'm into this perspective.

6. PrinceOfFacade

PrinceOfFacade Ghost-Type Master

It does seem like this Trace kid is a little more dickish than Nintendo lets on, so I'm satisfied either way.

Still, I'd love to have reverse dialogue, where the rival refers to the player as the tough, reckless one.

7. PirateKing

PirateKing Well-Known Member

I’ll flip this around: Eevee could be the main version.

Because canonically, Red is the character who started in Pallet Town with Pikachu, picks up Venusaur, Charizard, Blastoise, Lapras and Snorlax, bests team Rocket and the 8 gyms, and beats Blue (who uses Pidgeot, Alakazam, Exeggutor, Rhydon, Gyarados, and Arcanine) and becomes champion.

Now we have a new game with a new protagonist who’s largely going to be doing the same thing, but if Red and Blue are actually characters in the story,
    It makes a little more sense for the protagonist to start with Eevee instead of Pikachu, because otherwise he would be literally just be a clone following another character around with the exact same team doing the exact same gyms and fighting the same evil team at the same places.
    Like wouldn’t Misty find it weird that a silent kid with a hat fought her with a team of Pikachu and Bulbasaur, and then 10 minutes later, she fights someone else who looks and does the exact same?

If he starts with Eevee, it lets the the new protagonist to go on the same journey, but be his own character better.
    Meanwhile Trace functions as his own character with (presumably) a team of Sandslash, Nintetails, Cloyster, Alakazam, Exeggutor, and Pikachu/Raichu.

The protagonist picking Eevee let’s him and his new rival fit better into the world presuming Red and Blue exist at the same time by helping them be their own characters rather than just apeing the originals.

8. Kisai

Kisai Psychic

Well... seeing you guys so drawn to this idea almost makes me like the idea now, too. I suppose it would be kinda interesting if you could play as the rival...

Oh, wait, you can't evolve it? Awww... That's unfortunate. But still, even Eevee itself is pretty neat. ^^