• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

I just want the story to be less intrusive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nega3

A common complaint with every Pokemon RPG since BW1 is how story-heavy they have gotten. Sun/Moon being the worst offender of course.

Myself? I haven't enjoyed a Pokemon game since Diamond due to this and seeing Let's Go revived my hopes for another minimalist approach to Pokemon's story and characters.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
I have literally never heard of that complaint once. If anything I've heard more from fans that future Pokemon game need better story-telling, from beginning to end.

nega3

I have literally never heard of that complaint once. If anything I've heard more from fans that future Pokemon game need better story-telling, from beginning to end.
Oh? I come from GameFAQs which is toxic af but I agree that SuMo went overboard with the story

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Really? In most forums and comment sections I've visited, most seem to think Sun and Moon had one of the best and most charming fun and emotional journey out of a Pokemon game.

nega3

Really? In most forums and comment sections I've visited, most seem to think Sun and Moon had one of the best and most charming fun and emotional journey out of a Pokemon game.
I'm not saying SuMo had a bad story, I just couldn't stand how intrusive the dialogue was

Creyk

You are completely right.
Who even plays pokemon for the story? That is not what these games are about, and never will be. I have been pressing A as fast as possible since playing Red and Blue and that will not change here.

Muffin Man

I just really loved how Red/Blue had these little bits and pieces of story scattered around, like it just happened to be there for you to find if you interacted with things/people. Like, you first learn about the Elite Four and the quest to become a pokemon champ by reading Professor Oak's PC in his lab. The game doesn't force you to do it or even tell you to do it, it's just there for you to find out. Similarly you first learn about Team Rocket by talking to some guy who happens to be talking on his phone about what Team Rocket is doing elsewhere, before he yells at you to leave him alone (that's another thing...when did characters in Pokemon all become so nice? There are no grumps and jerks in Pokemon anymore, aside from the actual villains). Then you learn a little more from some other NPCs who are talking about what happened in the news. And of course, I'm sure everyone remembers how they handled the whole Mewtwo backstory, which I still think is the most memorable legendary pokemon buildup so far.

Sulfurian

Before gen 6 any sort of little cutscene or discussion would get the point across in half the time it takes now. If you factor in all the facial movements, expressions, and characters just moving around, even spamming the a button doesn't work as you are still dragged a long.

Sun and moon had a decent story with Lillie, her mother, and nebby. The ultra games utterly destroyed all aspects of that for the sake of being different.

nega3

Hey! I should have stated I only bought Ultra Moon today and going off what people tell me lol.

Is the story even that intrusive? Are the cutscenes short-Ish for the most part?

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I want the exact opposite. I thought that Sun and Moon was Pokémon taking a major step towards achieving its true potential. If it weren't for the story, Sun and Moon would have been just as bland as X and Y, but story made it stand out, and allowed me to thoroughly enjoy it, despite the game's other flaws. I dream of a day where we get our first truly story-based Pokémon game. Judging by the simplification of Let's Go, it won't there, so fingers crossed for Gen VIII.

Who even plays pokemon for the story? That is not what these games are about, and never will be. I have been pressing A as fast as possible since playing Red and Blue and that will not change here.

I don't play Pokémon for the story, per se, I play it for the adventure, of which the story is a major aspect. If you ask me, you're only missing out by mashing the A button.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
Wait people complain about plot?

Lots pally for the story and character interaction. I do and honestly all the friends I have that play do too.

Creyk

Hey! I should have stated I only bought Ultra Moon today and going off what people tell me lol.

Is the story even that intrusive? Are the cutscenes short-Ish for the most part?

Cut scenes are very long and unskippable.
You'll see.
Have fun :)

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
A common complaint with every Pokemon RPG since BW1 is how story-heavy they have gotten. Sun/Moon being the worst offender of course.

Myself? I haven't enjoyed a Pokemon game since Diamond due to this and seeing Let's Go revived my hopes for another minimalist approach to Pokemon's story and characters.

I can maybe see the point with SM but BW was the first time they even bothered to focus on story. Calling XY story focused is laughable, though.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master

Yeah, I've never heard anyone complain about a Pokémon game having too much story. Usually the complaint is it doesn't have enough.

I've heard complaints about unnecessary dialogue, super long intros, and unskippable cutscenes, but never about a gaming being story-heavy. I loved Black & White for its deep story, and I loved Sun & Moon for its character development. I don't think the problem is the heaviness of the story, but how the story is implemented gameplay-wise.

Ariki

TBH I didn’t find any of the cutscenes in Sun/Moon or their Ultra upgrades intrusive at all.

As for the tutorials at the start of the games, I’m glad theiy’re forced on players, because I remember back when gen 1 released there were many, many players who struggled with the basic game play mechanics because they eschewed both the manual and in-game tutorials and it was always cringey for me to come across those kinds of players...

The gen 1 games have an ok story - but it could do with some sharpening for today’s audience. The bare bones story telling isn’t to everyone’s tastes.

Status
Not open for further replies.