• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

I laugh in the face of Terrakion. Ha.

Okay, so the other day I was inspired to make the least Terrakion weak team I could think of. That said, this is a complete joke team, but it actually turned out alright. I drew up a rough plan on Pokemon Showdown! and tried it out for a while, and I really like playing with it. So yeah, I just thought I’d throw this out there and see what Serebii could offer. So here was pretty much how I came about this team.

;031;:623:;465;;488;

These are the four Pokemon I started with, some of the few Pokemon that can actually survive a 2HKO most of the time from even CB Terrakion (Nidoqueen and Golurk don’t like Earthquake, but Band sets rarely carry that). I’ve personally run Tangrowth and Cresselia on a recent Sun stall team and they’ve never let a Terrakion through, so I really don’t see how it’s getting through an additional two counters. Next I added another pair of Pokemon.

;031;:623:;465;;488;;038;;242;

Ninetales was added pretty much because I’m running Cresselia, who, while a liability most of the time in OU, becomes a great defensive monster with a Sun-boosted Moonlight. The Sun is also nice just for helping against opposing weather teams. As you can see, my team also possesses a lot of physical bulk, so I added Blissey to give me a little extra buffer against whatever special attacks I might come up against. Now onto the least Terrakion-weak team in existence.

8264482.jpg

Ninetales@Leftovers
Calm
Drought
252 HP, 148 SpD, 108 Spe
-Flamethrower
-Will-O-Wisp
-Substitute
-Protect

As far as weather starters go, Ninetales is not one of the greatest. But since I’ve got Cresselia on here, I decided that I’d need some Sun support. This is a little concoction I’ve been using on my Sun stall team, so I moved it over to this one. It pretty much takes advantage of some of Ninetales’ best assets: its good speed, decent special bulk, Drought, and access to Will-O-Wisp, and it’s great at coming out on top against opposing weather starters. The goal of the set is pretty much to burn the opponent and then stall out the next few turns with Substitute and Protect, which will let me stall for a total of twelve turns just by cycling between those two moves, more than enough to kill off an opponent with burn damage. Flamethrower is there to keep Ninetales from being total Taunt bait, and it does decent damage against some stuff.

So this is how Ninetales usually does against other weather starters. 108 Spe EVs lets me always outspeed +0 Timid Politoed, so if Sun still activates against the opponent’s weather starter, then they must be Scarfed. Then I can just scout their first move with Protect and switch accordingly. If it’s a CB TTar or SpecsToed, then I can just use Substitute and Protect to fish for a miss, or at the very least run them out of Hydro Pump/Stone Edge PP. Bulky TTar sets are pretty helpless once they’re burned, and Substitute helps immensely against bulkier Politoed sets. In fact, if I can get Sun back up, bulky Politoed’s Scald fails to break Ninetales’ Subs, which is pretty nice. Overall, Ninetales usually comes out on top with burn + SubProtect spamming.

031.png

Nidoqueen@Leftovers
Relaxed
Poison Point
252 HP, 252 Def, 4 SpD
-Stealth Rock
-Toxic Spikes
-Earthquake
-Fire Blast

I’d love to run Sheer Force on this thing, but I really need Stealth Rock to help keep several things in check (especially Volcarona). Anyhow, Nidoqueen isn’t really that bad in OU. Its unique resistances make it a good answer to things like Terrakion, which is the reason it’s on this team. Poison Point is also still a fairly good ability against a lot of physical attackers. Toxic Spikes can just be useful against a number of opponents, one layer for offensive teams and two for opposing stall teams. It’s even more useful seeing as how I’ve got a couple of Pokemon with monstrous bulk and Protect for extra stalling. Besides that, Earthquake and Fire Blast just help me cover a few other Pokemon with some offensive presence. Like I said, I’d love to run Sheer Force on Nidoqueen, but Stealth Rocks is just too valuable.

465.png

Tangrowth@Leftovers
Bold
Regenerator
252 HP, 252 Def, 4 SpD
-Sleep Powder
-Giga Drain
-HP Fire
-Leech Seed

Ah, here we go. Tangrowth is just one of those Pokemon whose insane physical bulk makes it one of the best overall answers to Terrakion out there; even a CB X-Scissor cannot 2HKO. Sleep Powder is just so useful as well. The lack of an instant recovery move is a little disappointing, but think about it. With Leftovers, Regenerator, Giga Drain, and Leech Seed, Tangrowth isn’t exactly short on recovery options. Not only does Tangrowth stop Terrakion, but it has the potential to shut down other physical opponents, like Tyranitar. I chose HP Fire over HP Ice for two main reasons. One, Cresselia already tackles things like Landorus, Gliscor, Dragonite, and Salamence almost perfectly, so the Ice coverage isn’t really necessary. Two, HP Fire gets pseudo-STAB in the Sun, and it keeps me from being absolute setup bait for Ferrothorn. In the Sun, Tangrowth is even able to handle Rotom-W’s Hydro Pump and threaten Scizor with HP Fire, making it a decent answer to the basic ScizorWash VoltTurn core.

488.png

Cresselia@Leftovers
Bold
Levitate
252 HP, 252 Def, 4 SpD
-Reflect
-Toxic
-Ice Beam
-Moonlight

And you thought Tangrowth was bulky. Meet Cresselia, literally the bulkiest thing in the game besides Giratina-A and Lugia (who is actually a little less bulky on the physical side). Let me just put this thing into perspective: if Cresselia throws up a Reflect as CB TTar switches in, then it is taking so little damage that it can almost restore every bit of damage TTar does with CB Crunch between Leftovers and the crippled Moonlight. Scizor sings a similar tune, hardly being able to scratch Cress with her Reflect up. Ice Beam is the keep-from-being-Taunt-bait move on this set, and I’ve chosen Toxic over Thunder Wave to help wear down Pokemon like Gyarados and Latios who are immune to Toxic Spikes and don’t exactly quiver with fear at Cress’s Ice Beam. Moonlight doesn’t have much PP, but it sure is helpful when its giving Cress two thirds of her health back (eat your heart out, Softboiled).

623.png

Golurk@Choice Band
Adamant
Iron Fist
252 HP, 252 Atk, 4 Def
-Earthquake
-Shadow Punch
-Stone Edge
-Hammer Arm

If this wasn’t a complete anti-Terrakion team, this thing would probably not be here. Golurk is fun to use and all, but it’s not exactly the best spinblocker in existence, especially seeing as how most spinners threaten it in one way or another. The main reason I’m running a Choice Band set here is to give me a little extra leverage against Reuniclus, which can do up to about 90% damage to the bulky sets and OHKOs the offensive ones (it even survives a LO Shadow Ball from the Offensive TR sets). Besides that, Golurk can switch into opposing spinners sometimes, as long as I predict well, so it can spinblock when it needs to. Then it just throws around whatever attacks until it dies. Golurk is actually pretty strong with a Choice Band, though, an Adamant nature giving him a little more power than a Jolly Darmanitan. It’s even enough to almost guarantee a 2HKO against standard Ferrothorn with Earthquake after Stealth Rock. Still, Golurk would have to be the first thing on this team that I would replace, perhaps with Scizor, who could still check Terrakion while also handling Reuniclus much more efficiently.

242.png

Blissey@Leftovers
Bold
Natural Cure
252 HP, 252 Def, 4 SpD
-Wish
-Protect
-Heal Bell
-Flamethrower

Blissey is my special buffer, because let’s face it. Even specially defensive Ninetales and Cresselia can’t tank Specs Draco Meteors/Hydro Pumps/etc. forever. Blissey’s Wishes are just so useful; even the team member with the next highest HP, Cresselia, gets about three fourths of her HP back from one of Blissey’s Wishes. Heal Bell is also a really useful utility on this team, especially seeing as how Tangrowth and Cresselia really don’t like random status. Protect is nice since I can stall for poison damage and Wish + Leftovers recovery. Flamethrower just seems like a prime option for an offensive move since this is a Sun team. With it, Blissey also makes an okay answer to VoltTurn as well, since it walls Rotom-W and KOs Scizor with Flamethrower (although Superpower can be dangerous). I might go back to Seismic Toss to help handle Volcarona, though.

With that out of the way, there are a couple of things that I’ve noticed really threaten me.

;392;-Mixed sets can be dangerous late game, but I’m really scared of the CB set, since everything on my team is 2HKOd by Flare Blitz. Luckily, Cresselia does take under 66% damage from it, so she can stall it out with Moonlight…unless it has Blaze, in which case it nearly one-shots Cress once its HP drops below 33%.

;485;-Heatran in general isn’t too bad; it’s mostly SpecsTran I’m worried about. SpecsTran can just spam Fire Blast and 2HKO everything, including Blissey.

:637:-I do have Stealth Rock and Toxic Spikes, which really limit its survivability. Still, there’s always the ChestoRest and Morning Sun sets which have a way of getting around that. It is because of Volcarona that I’m considering running Seismic Toss over Flamethrower to do some decent damage to it (Flamethrower hardly breaks 25%, even when Volc is at +0).

;149;-Dragonite in general isn’t so dangerous, just the Choice Band set. While it isn’t sweeping me any time soon, it does 2HKO everything with Outrage, so I just have to play safe around it and try to get Cress in safely for an Ice Beam.

:612:-Threatens me much like Dragonite, except a little worse. At least it’s vulnerable to Toxic Spikes, which helps.

:579:-Golurk can do a ton of damage to even the most physically bulky of Reuniclus, but the Bulky CM sets with Recover still have a shot at 6-0ing me if I can’t get any previous damage in on it.

So pretty much strong Fire types, CB Outrages, and Reuniclus. Oh, and opposing stall can be annoying too. I’ve got Toxic Spikes, Drought, Wish/Heal Bell, Stealth Rock, and a spinblocker to help, but I still tense a little whenever I see another stall team. I really don’t mind replacing anything on this team (although I’d personally like to keep Cress and maybe Tangrowth), so whatever will help. It’s a fun joke team and all, but I guess it’s not too late to make it a serious one, lol.

Last edited:

Takeo

*cough*Nidoqueen
252 HP, 252 Def, 252 SpD*cough*

you could probably benefit from Trick Room (if you do make sure to make everyones Iv's 0 as some people do forget), only fast thing you seem to be running is Ninetails, The Slower Weather Abuser on the first Draw wins, so keep that in mind

Ohmygoshigotarateonserebiibeforemyrmtfelltothesecondpageimsoexcited

*cough*Nidoqueen
252 HP, 252 Def, 252 SpD*cough*

Thanks for catching that. I think I've done that at least once for the last three RMTs I've made, lol.

you could probably benefit from Trick Room (if you do make sure to make everyones Iv's 0 as some people do forget), only fast thing you seem to be running is Ninetails, The Slower Weather Abuser on the first Draw wins, so keep that in mind

The problem with Trick Room is that it works best with offensive teams. It would go over nicely with Golurk, but not much else will really benefit from it. The other member of my team are usually bulky enough to take a hit and do whatever damage without worrying about having to outspeed the opponent. Besides, I'm not really sure where that would fit on my team.

Thanks for the rate! ^_^

wereboar

BE AFRAID!
I agree with darklord but also add sheer force on nidoqueen instead of poison point.

if you are really working against terrakion( thank you for the love of arceus) i recommend slowbro. the rare x-scissor, terrakion's only "counter" fails to even 4hko slowbro. idk who to replace, but you can use him as a tr sweeper and set-upper.

Slowbro actually just barely escapes a 2HKO from CB Terrakion's X-Scissor, but it's still a good counter nonetheless. One of its most important utilities, Scald, is weakened in the Sun, but a set of Psychic/Fire Blast/Ice Beam/Slack Off would actually be good for checking random things like physical Dragons, Fighting types, Landorus/Gliscor, Ferrothorn, Scizor, and whatever else. The big problem is finding where to fit it. Without Golurk, I'm flattened by Reuniclus. I need Nidoqueen's entry hazards something terrible. Cresselia might be a good one, but her insane bulk is just too good to pass up. If I replace her, I'd also might as well get rid of Sun. Tangrowth might be the best thing to replace, since both function quite similarly, but then I might miss the utility of Sleep Powder.

I will definitely have to try Slowbro out, though.

I agree with darklord but also add sheer force on nidoqueen instead of poison point.

Yeah, I really need Stealth Rock, which is illegal with Sheer Force.

*cough* rocks =/= SHEER FORCE *cough* rocks = poison point.

anyway, change fire blast to flamethrower. "better accuracy, plus fire blast doesn't net you any new ohkos"( smogon university)

The problem is that when the Smogon writer said that, he/she was including Sheer Force and was probably not taking Sun into account. Fire Blast does net a few more OHKOs and 2HKOs. For example, bulky Roserade cannot be 2HKOd by Flamethrower but can by Fire Blast. Physically defensive Skarm is 2HKOd by Flamethrower at best but can be OHKOd by Fire Blast after Rocks. Specially defensive Skarm will also always escape a 2HKO by Flamethrower but Fire Blast can get the job done. Standard Ferrothorn can survive a Flamethrower with ease, but Fire Blast can OHKO. If the weather changes to Rain, CB Scizor is not 2HKOd by Flamethrower but it can be by Fire Blast. Physically defensive Forretress is barely 2HKOd by Flamethrower in the Rain, but it's guaranteed by Fire Blast. Specially defensive can at least be 2HKOd sometimes by Fire Blast after Rocks (in Rain), while Flamethrower has no such luck.

If I start having accuracy problems with Fire Blast, I'll definitely swap over to Flamethrower. But that 26% damage boost can be pretty significant at times.

Miror

De-le-le wooooooooooop
Staff member
On Tangrowth, since quite a bit of your team has lower speeds, I might recommend Stun Spore over Leech Seed, it annoys the heck out of any sweeper and gives you an advantage as most of your Pokemon will then outspeed said sweeper with the drop. Otherwise the team looks solid, and I might also recommend Slowbro over something else (I'm not sure what it would replace well, but it would help with your Infernape/Heatran weakness.

Ilan

On Tangrowth, since quite a bit of your team has lower speeds, I might recommend Stun Spore over Leech Seed, it annoys the heck out of any sweeper and gives you an advantage as most of your Pokemon will then outspeed said sweeper with the drop. Otherwise the team looks solid, and I might also recommend Slowbro over something else (I'm not sure what it would replace well, but it would help with your Infernape/Heatran weakness.

I use tangrowth a lot and I find using leech seed the most of all moves..
Stun spore also doesn't work well with sleep powder.

I don't see what you can replace...
the only weak link I see is cresselia.. yes it have huge bulk but don't bring too many resistances especially to the fire types you mentioned.. maybe try infernape instead.. one of the best terrakion revenge killers .
try choice band mach punch or choice scarf close combat.

Last edited:
really? a 2hko? because when i tested it out, terrakion did like 30 percent. besides, most terras are scarved anyway. ive rarely seen a cb set, though i know of it.

Yeah, specifically 44.67-52.79%. I use the CB set as a judge since it's the set capable of dealing the most immediate damage. It's also pretty common, on about 30% of Terrakion. Scarf by comparison is 35%.

The main problem with that is that I would be giving up Tangrowth's main form of reliable healing (Regenerator is great, but I wouldn't call it reliable). In addition, I've got Will-O-Wisp, Toxic, Toxic Spikes, and Sleep Powder as well, so finding room for paralysis will be kinda difficult.

I use tangrowth a lot and I find using leech seed the most of all moves..
Stun spore also doesn't work well with sleep powder.

I don't see what you can replace...
the only weak link I see is cresselia.. yes it have huge bulk but don't bring too many resistances especially to the fire types you mentioned.. maybe try infernape instead.. one of the best terrakion revenge killers .
try choice band mach punch or choice scarf close combat.

While Cresselia's role on the team is less defined, I wouldn't say she's a weak link. Her incredible bulk os what let's her be my team's primary answer to Dragons, and the utility of Toxic for those unaffected by TSpikes. Still, Cresselia might be the easiest thing to replace if not for the fact that there becomes no point in running Ninetales if she is removed.

So far I have been trying Slowbro a bit, and I've found that it works well over Tangrowth. I kinda miss the Sleep Powder, but at least my team maintains a level of resistance against Dragons. I've also found that running Calm on Blissey helps her to escape the 2HKO from Heatran's Specs Fire Blast and, with Seismic Toss over Flamethrower, she can check both Heatran and Volcarona better. I'm also still trying to find something good to replace Golurk with that can handle Reuniclus, probably CB Scizor or something. Thoughts?

I'm not quite sure what you mean. Even with Leftovers and a minimum damage roll on every hit, CB X-Scissor is still a 3HKO. Besides, Leftovers is the only reason that Slowbro can effectively counter CB Terrakion, so yes, I factored it in.