• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

I may have committed the taboo... (Question that has been driving me batty)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Allieon

Best Eeveelution
WARNING, WALL OF TEXT INCOMING!
tl;dr at bottom of post.

Okay, I'm not sure if this post is against the rules or not, but this has really been bugging me. If it is against the rules, could someone at least give ma an answer before jumping at my throat? Thanks in advance.
;133;

Anyways, now for some backstory.

Back when I had first beaten pokemon black, I decided to transfer all of my old friends from Diamond version to Black so I can use them in online battles. Howeverm once I transferred my pokemon , I noticed that there was a pretty huge problem with their names.

THEY. WERE. IN. ALL. CAPS

Now, seeing as I am a bit OCD (okay A LOT OCD) this naturally annoyed the heck out of me. Every time I sent one of my babies out, I would see those ugly capital letters among all the nice, lowercase ones. To make matters worse, the pokemon were from Diamond so I could no longer nickname them (even though they were MINE to begin with. It just wasn't fair. Eventually, this wigged me out so much that I decided that I had to do something. My pokemon simply could not have those ugly names anymore.

So I did something drastic.

I had an extra copy of pokemon White that I had bought from a going out of business sale and an Action Replay Gamestop had given me for buying so much stuff from them. Most of the time, I just used the little device for the walk through walls code (because walk through walls is fun as hell) but I had never really used any other cheats. This time was different, though.

I found a code online that would remove the nickname barrier, thus allowing me to return the names of my pokemon to what they should rightly be... removing those ugly capital letters. Without a second thought, I used the code and soon my pokemon had normal names. For a while, I was happy. Now... not so much.

After thinking about it, I realized that this little change may actually make my pokemon non-legit, even though I have never touched their stats, moves, or even items with the code. All of them were originally caught without the assistance of any cheats, and many of them hold sentimental value to me so the thought as them being seen as not legit when they were once legit freaks me out really more than it should. This is why I must ask these questions, dear readers...

Did using a cheat to re nickname my pokemon make them non-legit in the eyes of competitive forums like this one?

Will Nintendo allow me to use the pokemon I re-nicknamed in competitions?

Am I terrible for using a code to re nickname the pokemon rather than just forcing myself to get over it?

If anyone can provide me some answers, I would be extremely grateful. For all who read this whole wall of text, thanks for caring. :)
;133;

tl;dr

The all caps names of the pokemon I transferred from Diamond bugged me, so I used Action Replay to allow me to nickname them. Does this make my pokemon non-legit?

Myrrh

Since you altered the Pokemon in a way you would not normally be able to I think it indeed makes them less than fully legitimate. You're not terrible for doing this though, and I don't know how good Nintendo's hack-check system is, so if your Pokemon would pass them it would basically be not an issue.

There's a questions thread on this section, look for the Sticky at the top of all the threads next time.

randomspot555

Did using a cheat to re nickname my pokemon make them non-legit in the eyes of competitive forums like this one?

Who cares?

Will Nintendo allow me to use the pokemon I re-nicknamed in competitions?

Ask Nintendo. Only the judges at the actual tournament for that year can answer that question, and their rules give them much leeway to kick you out for any or no reason.

FWIW, past tournaments have said that ALL Pokemon on a game cart must be able to pass their hack checks, not just the 6 you registered for the tournament.

Am I terrible for using a code to re nickname the pokemon rather than just forcing myself to get over it?

You're not terrible, but you probably should've gotten over it.

DjangoCribbs

Status
Not open for further replies.