• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

I need help with my Trick Room team!

Hello everyone! As the title implies, I need help with my doubles Trick Room team, as it's got serious offensive problems. I don't play on any tier, mostly just battle spot and with friends.

Bronzong Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
Sassy Nature
EVs: 252 HP, 72 Def, 184 SpDef
Trick Room
Protect
Gyro Ball
Skill Swap(planning to replace with Earthquake)

The first setter, Bronzong is pretty basic. Skill Swap has achieved some hilarity in the past, but EQ is truly the better choice, I think.

Reuniclus Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
Bold Nature
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Def, 4 SpDef
Psyshock
Shadow Ball
Trick Room
Recover

Second Setter, Reuniclus is meant to be tanky and deal damage once the Room is set up, being able to recover quickly as well.

M-Mawile Mawilite(of course)
Ability: Intimidate(Huge Power)
Adamant Nature
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Atk, 4 SpDef
Play Rough
Sucker Punch
Protect
Iron Head

The Mega, also intended to out-slow most common threats and KO, and Intimidate before Mega-ing is always nice. Fairy and Steel with Sucker Punch is needed for the team.

Jellicent Sitrus Berry
Ability: Water Absorb
Sassy Nature
EVs: 252 Hp, 252 Def, 4 SpDef
Scald
Hex
Recover
Taunt

Jellicent isn't terribly slow, but more so than a lot of popular threats, but man, 4 Moveslot syndrome. I wanted to carry Ice Beam here, but I need a Taunt user somewhere, or Bulky Waters completely shut the entire team down.

Scrafty Assault Vest
Ability: Intimidate
Adamant Nature
EVs: 252 Hp, 252 Atk, 4 SpDef
Fake Out
Drain Punch
Rock Slide
Knock Off

Scrafty was what inspired me to make this team, Intimidate and Fake Out are meant for him to be a good lead as I try to set up the room. Drain Punch for sustainability and Knock off for removing items.

Porygon2 Eviolite
Ability: Download
Bold Nature
EVs: 252 Hp, 160 Def, 20 SpAtk, 76 SpDef
Trick Room
Ice Beam
Foul Play
Recover

The third setter, Porygon2 is similar to Reuniclus in that it's meant to do some damage upon setting the room, and recovering for staying power.

The main problem I can see is a lack of options for dealing with Electric types and bulky waters(such as Suicune or Gastrodon), but I'm not sure who to replace for those. I'm hoping some outside perspective might help me make this team actually decent. Thanks for your advice!!

EKZ1505

You probably have serious offensive problems since you have 3 Pokemon that set up Trick Room.

Bronzong is better in VGC 2016 than Battle Spot Doubles, but it isn't terrible in this format. What does its spread accomplish? Do NOT use Earthquake on this one though. You have no attack investment, so since it isn't STAB and does spread damage, it's rather weak. More importantly though, you have no immunities on your team, so you will be Earthquaking your teammate, especially since only Mawile has Protect. Bronzong is really only a support Pokemon (Gyro Ball is only "great" against Xerneas in VGC16), so it doesn't need more than one attack. Leftovers isn't really worth it either in a fast paced format for Bronzong. Lum Berry (especially in tandem with Safeguard to counter Amoongus trying to Spore your team under Trick Room) or Mental Herb is better.

Reuniclus doesn't really need Trick Room if you keep Porygon2 and Bronzong. If you give it Protect instead and max out its special attack (and make it Quiet), it can help your offensive struggles. Recover max not be necessary, but its fine unless you really want Focus Blast.

Mawile and Scrafty are fine.

Jellicent with Cursed Body is typically a little better, but Water Absorb is fine to beat other bulky waters. What is Taunt for? If you want Hex, you should probably use Will-o-Wisp over Taunt. Otherwise, Shadow Ball is much better. One thing your team lacks is a something with a spread move to abuse under Trick Room. Water Spout Jellicent is a big threat if used properly. Spout / WoW / Recover / Shadow Ball or Ice beam is a good offensive set under Trick Room if you run Quiet with max special attack.

Why does Porygon2's spread do? Why Foul Play instead of Tri Attack or Thunderbolt?

EKZ said a lot of the things I was thinking, but another thing I think you could consider is -Speed natures, for example, Brave on Mawile and Scrafty, and Relaxed on Porygon-2, as this is a Trick Room team and generally you want to be as slow as possible to fully take advantage of Trick Room.

You could also potentially put Toxic on someone (Jellicent?) to help threaten those Bulky Waters you mentioned, but Will-o-Wisp is also very good, as mentioned. Scrafty's Knock Off would probably also come in handy in removing their recovery items.

I agree that Porygon-2 should have Tri Attack or Thunderbolt.

Thanks for the help, everybody!
I definitely prefer the idea of using Water Spout Jellicent, and yeah, relying on Scald to burn stuff for hex is kind of dumb in hindsight ;p
Definitely replacing Porygon2's Foul Play with T-Bolt, Foul Play hasn't helped against physical threats as much as I wanted it to. The spread was taken off a doubles set suggested by Smogon that was meant to be used for Trick Room/Recover + 2 Attacks.
I think I might use Safeguard with the mental herb for Bronzong, hadn't thought about issues with EQ. Maybe even Toxic on Bronzong? I'll have to you around with stuff and see!