• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

I never understood why people think Ash & Paul's rivalry is the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Sham said:
Reggie kinda ruined Paul’s development in my opinion. You mean to tell me he was acting like that because Reggie lost to Brandon? Yeah they should of just left his reasonings unexplained if that was the true reason

I'm glad that we at least saw why Shinji was influenced to do things his way, but I wasn't necessarily impressed by how Reiji's experience of losing to Jindai was used as a development point for Shinji. I think it would've made a little more sense if Shinji had challenged Jindai in Reiji's place when he was younger, that way Reiji wouldn't have been needed and Shinji would've been motivated to seek stronger Pokemon due to his own loss against the Pyramid King.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Showcases were shallow internally and externally. There are plenty of competitions that I enjoy watching which the goal is “aim to be the most popular”. But where are my stakes? Serena has virtually nobody threatening her in every showcase she competes in. She’s literally only at the mercy of how people are feeling that day and who they decide to vote for. Proof of this is how that other girl with the shiny Espeon was cheered on at the beginning of the episode only for her town to vote against her. Nobody stood in Serena way so the only way she could lose is “well lol the crowd wasn’t feeling her today” or something even more shallow like her Pokémon tripping (as if people have not made mistakes in the modeling/entertainment world and bounced back). You mean to tell me someone could put on the trashiest performance and the excuse is “well the crowd liked them”. Aria undoubtedly gave a lackluster cut scene performance compared to Serena and yet won. There lies the issue, Serena was challenged by nobody and literally had outside forces to defeat her instead of someone being better. That’s why the whole “well they liked her better” thing is annoying because what’s the point of watching this if literally nothing matters regarding Pokémon and just who the crowd likes better? And even if that plays a truth on Instagram culture; who the f*** wants to watch that on Pokémon? Diet contest were horrendous.

Okay, I definitely agree about the Amelia contest and think it's stupid -- it makes no sense for Serena to beat her in her hometown. Ideally, how Amelia should have been handled would be as follows:

-Amelia is introduced way earlier, and she's an Ursula-type rival, and she beats Serena multiple times in earlier Rookie Class showcases, and she beats her straight-up. i.e. Serena doesn't make a mistake, and Amelia still wins, just because Amelia's more popular

-Serena actually has to train to beat Amelia, this can involve practicing different techniques to use on stage, and/or uploading more Pokévisions.

-the twist at the beginning of the Fleurrh City Showcase is that (a) it's the final showcase before the Master Class so she has to win it and (b) this is Amelia's hometown. Serena obviously has known Amelia all generation long, but doesn't find out she's from Fleurrh City until literally the beginning of this episode

-make it a two-parter. At the end of Part 1, Serena is freaking out bc she thinks she has no shot to beat Amelia in her own hometown.

-Serena somehow wins, ideally Amelia makes some sort of small mistake I guess, otherwise I can't think of a reason she would lose in her own hometown. Make the final voting really close, but Serena wins.

Anyway, what I've laid out above would have been a much better way of handling the Serena/Amelia rivalry.

Sham

The Guardian of War
When you say acting this way do you mean his philosophy or personality?His brother stated he always had a cruel streak which could imply he was an a#*hole before ever becoming a pokemon trainer or mid way through his journey as a trainer.I already said his reason for why he did what he did in DP wasn't good enough but we can also factor in that Pyramid King Brandon shouted NOOOO at Reggie after their battle which means you did something wrong,Ash knows that from first hand experience.He told Reggie his performance was standard ordinary fair and asked where his true inner strength was.That's gotta be one of the reasons why Paul was obsessed with getting powerful pokemon.
Personally I meant his training method. I’m assuming the entire reason he was treating his Pokémon the way he did of “bringing out their true power”, was in comparison to Reggie being “soft” and thus losing to Brandon. I’m not saying it’s a huge dent in Paul’s character but I’d just prefer if they left his reasoning ambiguous or not mentioned it all if that was the best they had narrative wise.

PokemonBattleFanatic-

Hardcore Paul Fan
Personally I meant his training method. I’m assuming the entire reason he was treating his Pokémon the way he did of “bringing out their true power”, was in comparison to Reggie being “soft” and thus losing to Brandon. I’m not saying it’s a huge dent in Paul’s character but I’d just prefer if they left his reasoning ambiguous or not mentioned it all if that was the best they had narrative wise.
It has to do with his brother losing to Brandon and then deciding to give it all up which Paul didn't understand + Brandon asking him where his true inner strength was.So Paul decided to do the opposite of what Reggie did as a trainer which was capturing and befriending any random pokemon he encounters in the wild and showing them love.Paul went after the strongest pokemon he could find and put them through rigorous training to make them even stronger.He used his pokedex to scan their movesets and then decided whether or not he'd keep or release them from his pokeball.

He went as far as to give away a pokemon to another trainer because of it's poor performance in a gym battle (Roark).This of course stemmed from what Pyramid King Brandon said in the flashback and Reggie failing and giving up as a trainer.It's unknown on whether or not Paul's skills as a trainer came from watching Reggie battle or just purely himself but I'm leaning more towards him developing his skills from his own experience as a trainer because he said to Brock that he wouldn't make the same pathetic mistakes Reggie made.

GMax Helios

Bumping Topics
This thing is still open? Wow. Anyways, yeah. Call it bias from my hatred of Paul, but I don’t see it either.

Kuzehiko

That moment I found a lifetime treasure
Is there people that despises Paul for real? Oh wait, this is the Pokemon fandom we are talking about, what the hell I'm even asking. It's hilarious to read posts argumenting Paul is a terrible character because he dislikes weak Pokemon and makes his Pokemon go through harshly trainings. It's no different to when you send out your Pokemon in an actual battle and it ends up badly hurted. If you really don't want it to get hurt, if you greatly care about its well-being then just don't send it out, just don't do battles. Besides, by the end of DP, and through character development, we saw Paul to feel geniune gratitute towards his Pokemon and he even smiled. He obviously started to care about his Pokemon. Paul is the best rival Ash has had, and one of the best developed characters in the show.

Is there people that despises Paul for real? Oh wait, this is the Pokemon fandom we are talking about, what the hell I'm even asking. It's hilarious to read posts argumenting Paul is a terrible character because he dislikes weak Pokemon and makes his Pokemon go through harshly trainings. It's no different to when you send out your Pokemon in an actual battle and it ends up badly hurted. If you really don't want it to get hurt, if you greatly care about its well-being then just don't send it out, just don't do battles. Besides, by the end of DP, and through character development, we saw Paul to feel geniune gratitute towards his Pokemon and he even smiled. He obviously started to care about his Pokemon. Paul is the best rival Ash has had, and one of the best developed characters in the show.
Everyone has their reasons and must be respected, @TheWanderingMist had Some good points in my opinion

PokemonBattleFanatic-

Hardcore Paul Fan
We got a hitman here lol
tumblr_o4iqi6HEY21twa98oo1_500.gif

I really don't care if they dislike him as a character because it's subjective but when it comes to him as a trainer/battler then that's a different story.

Status
Not open for further replies.