• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

I really enjoy the TPCi Dub of Pokémon.

LuxerWap

The Green Husky with a Broken Tail
A controversial thing to say I think? I grew up with the 4Kids dub and when I got to the BF season, the voices weren’t that different for me, mostly because I was a kid. I still watch the current dub today and it’s been a pleasant experience.

I think the 4Kids dub did pretty well, but compared to TPCi, I prefer the TPCi dub more. Mostly because of the voices. I like the 4Kids voices, however, I don’t think those voices would fit well with the current anime’s modern art and animations.

TPCi did a good job with the dub. I really like Sarah’s voice for Ash as it suits him with his current designs, and the other voices did pretty well, Brock and Misty sounds pretty similar to their 4Kids voices, but it’s a solid evolution for their character.

And the music is very cool to listen to. I heard that TPCi is infamous for changing some of the music, but I really don’t mind it as they do fit with each series. Besides, 4Kids also changed the music with a number of shows they dubbed, so it’s not too surprising. Some video games do it as well.

But the theme songs in every series, both 4Kids and TPCi, are pretty amazing to listen to over and over! My favorite openings are, “Pokémon Johto”, “Unbeatable”, “Diamond and Pearl”, “We Will Be Heroes”, “Black and White”, “Rival Destinies”, and “Under the Alolan Moon”. The ones I had listed are the most catchiest to me. I know some openings are not everyone’s cup of tea, but they’re all great!

I’m guess I’m pretty biased, but more about the TPCi dub. Like I said, I think both dubs are great, just that I like TPCi’s a lot more. Thought I would start up sometime nice for TPCi. I know not many people are a fan of the current dub, which is fine.

Sham

The Guardian of War
The music ain’t it. Goldfarb needs to be fired.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
The music ain’t it. Goldfarb needs to be fired.
That's called "TPCi would have to pay a lot of extra money so we'll just have our own guy make it instead". Liking his music or not is an opinion, but blaming him for them not using the original soundtrack is wrong.

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls
Nothing wrong with enjoying the dub. Nothing wrong with liking Goldfarb's music. If anything I actually think it's weird that the 4Kids dub is still widely regarded as equal or superior to the TPCi dub, considering how long it's been since they stopped dubbing the show and how many people would likely have grown up entirely on the TPCi version.

...And while I'm not a dub fan by any means, I will give them this: TPCi's writing is, on the whole, a lot more accurate. Sure, there have been some derps, and Team Rocket's dialogue has ten times too many puns, (which I really don't get; They already make puns in the original, so why does the dub insist on adding so many of them?) but generally speaking, for all my gripes with it, a person watching the show in Japanese and a person watching the show in English will get the same story, characterization and such.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I watched the 4Kids dub regularly when it aired on KidsWB so perhaps I'm biased in favor of it, but TPCi has the most inadequate voice acting and dub music of the two from my perspective. The only kudos that I can give TPCi's version of the dub is that they translate dialogue more accurately than 4Kids did during most of their run.

Sham

The Guardian of War
That's called "TPCi would have to pay a lot of extra money so we'll just have our own guy make it instead". Liking his music or not is an opinion, but blaming him for them not using the original soundtrack is wrong.
There’s nothing wrong with not using original music, that isn’t my problem. My problem is the original music/openings are trash. I’m not someone who wants the JP music in the English dub. There were plenty of original music in DP/BW I enjoyed. For example I don’t even think Paul’s theme (the guitar one) was in the original but it was great.

I don't think Goldfarb is entirely at fault here with the music and with replacing the ost with dub music; I think the higher ups at tpci are more at fault here.
True but it’s just his quality of music producing just isn’t that good to me personally.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
Battle Frontier through the DP series is where they were just getting their footing. BW had a pretty good dub as far as things then. XY was terrible because Loeffler and Wolfert were replaced on music post year 1 and it shows since Goldfarb's score is just elevator music.

Sonnas

I mostly go with the English dub of the current right now since I want to give them the benefit of the doubt as I hope they are actually trying with their VA, although I don't have a problem with the music since I watched the XY movies and barely noticed anything wrong.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
If you want to see TPCi at its worst, watch Mastermind of Mirage Pokemon. It's really obvious that everyone who isn't Brock hasn't quite grasped the character voices. Brock's guy managed to do an OK job of imitating Eric Stuart from the start.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
It's okay, they should have had somebody else voice certain characters(Like Lillie, she sounds nothing like her age! She sounds like an old lady impersonating a kid...)
But it's certainly better than what it had been recently as far as voice acting goes, the TRio and Kiawe's voices sound like they're full of life! And Brock sounds like the actor never stopped voicing him! Misty though.... lol Terrible
The Pokemon have improved slightly too

The music is still bad though, absolutely no compliments! It's been terrible since BW, I can tone it out though so I'm not as open about it as others

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
I don’t care for the English dub but good for you that you prefer it. The dub would be a lot better if they weren’t so cheap on this anime and took it as a serious property. I just wish they took better care of this anime. A lot of the voices don’t fit the characters and the music is as bland as the script (as in it’s too directly translated.) And for what I heard, the time slots for it are pretty bad, it was worse on Cartoon Network when it was only aired extremely early in the morning and barely advertised. But this seems like the norm for older properties.

Emelie

Bookworm
I must admit that I have never watched the English dub. I watched the Swedish dub during OS and then watched DP-SM (and all of the old episodes) in Japanese.

However I have seen some videos comparing the Japanese dub with the English dub and the music was definitely inferior in the English dub during XY.

The scene when Satoshi/Ash faints after the battle with Diantha is probably the best example of this. I wouldn't say the music is awful but it doesn't fit this scene at all. Playing happy music while somebody faints feels kind of mean.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Zoruagible said:
The music is still bad though, absolutely no compliments! It's been terrible since BW, I can tone it out though so I'm not as open about it as others

It's gotten gradually worse for my viewpoint. I remember disliking the music as far back as the Battle Frontier dub, but I watched a few episodes of the XY dub recently, and I literally couldn't stand the dub exclusive music. I'm not saying that every single track of the original soundtrack is amazing either, but at least the original music sounds more cohesive.

Bortgreen

Captain Pikachu is EPIC
I'm fine with the dub itself, but i still like more the original, japanese music. I liked when they mixed up more, instead of replacing almost everything.
The openings are ok though, but too short.

BulleDeChagrin

Lillie best girl
I think the dub is fine at the moment, though they took a long time to grow into it. The voice actors are all great, except whenever James Carter Cathcart has to voice a Pokemon (his Meowth is often unintelligible and Munchlax is just Meowth saying "MUNCHLAAAAX").

Lillie's voice is a bit iffy at times, but when she has big moments she does nail it. Sarah Natochenny has been doing amazing as Ash in both XY and SM.

The music has its ups and downs, but the worst is the 'doo-doo-doo-doo-doo-do!' 'doo-doo-doo-doooooo...' (sorry for the terrible transliteration) whenever something tense is happening, but it sounds SO silly and breaks any tension. Apart from that the music is pretty okay, but they use that music in every single episode.

LuxerWap

The Green Husky with a Broken Tail
Wow, it looks like I’m the only one who appreciated the current dub a lot. In my opinion, the dub had greatly improved and it’s hard for me to find any bad acting when watching the episodes. As I say about the music, I never had a problem with it. I enjoy them for what they are as they weren’t ear bleeding, just mostly pleasant to hear. I even hum a little when listening to them.

Maybe I’m more of a causal anime fan. The anime had been my childhood and doesn’t disappoints me at all.

Twilight-Kun

Pokemon World Champion
Age-old music gripes aside, my main beef with the dub is that most of the time, the characters' voices are about as fitting as nails on a chalkboard

The only voices that feel like they fit are Tupper, Wrap, Zip, Ash, Team Rocket (now if only their localization wasn't filled with slang and alliteration), and Gladion

Nearly everything else is jarring beyond belief and sours the experience

Similar things plagued BW and XY, while OS-DP was rather solid

Sonnas

Age-old music gripes aside, my main beef with the dub is that most of the time, the characters' voices are about as fitting as nails on a chalkboard

The only voices that feel like they fit are Tupper, Wrap, Zip, Ash, Team Rocket (now if only their localization wasn't filled with slang and alliteration), and Gladion

Nearly everything else is jarring beyond belief and sours the experience

Similar things plagued BW and XY, while OS-DP was rather solid
The other thing I noticed is that some characters will have an occasional “I’m...acting!”line when it’s their first few times.