• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

I really enjoy the TPCi Dub of Pokémon.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
In other news can we make sure Lillie’s dub VA never works again? She’s a main reason I refuse to watch the dub. She’s butchering my favorite character :(
Eh I'd rather that happens to Michele Knotz tbh; I don't like her voices for Misty and Jessie at all.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Sham said:
I can stand Jessie since she at least sounds like original but agreed. She needs to leave Misty alone. Misty sounds like May with a nasal infection. She doesn’t even try to change the voice well enough.

Musashi's TPCi voice actress does sound somewhat similar to her 4Kids actress, although I've found her voice more grating in recent sagas. The only current TPCi voice actor that I genuinely feel should've been replaced a long time ago is the man who voices Kojirou and Nyasu in the dub.

Sham

The Guardian of Ruin and Birth
Musashi's TPCi voice actress does sound somewhat similar to her 4Kids actress, although I've found her voice more grating in recent sagas. The only current TPCi voice actor that I genuinely feel should've been replaced a long time ago is the man who voices Kojirou and Nyasu in the dub.
I don’t mind James that much and I’ve gotten use to Mewoth’s voice to be honest (I don’t like it but I’m use to it). I just think recently in X and Y Sun and Moon they’ve just had bad/weird casting choices. Even Serena and Bonnie sounded unnatural at points

Sham

The only person I felt had good voice casting was Sophocles and maybe Kiawe and Mallow.

MockingJ

Banned

Yeah Billy Beach or Carter or whatever his name is now really doesn't do a good James voice and his Meowth voice isn't much better.

Leonhart

Imagineer
MockingJ said:
Yeah Billy Beach or Carter or whatever his name is now really doesn't do a good James voice and his Meowth voice isn't much better.

His Nyasu voice is worse in my opinion, because it somewhat changed the tone of Nyasu in the English dub: the dub's Nyasu went from being a stereotypical New Yorker, to being a Yiddish stereotype. It just didn't really work and to this day I still prefer Maddie Blaustein's take on dub Nyasu.

LuxerWap

The Green Husky with a Broken Tail
That, I also disagree on. I think Carter nailed James and Meowth pretty well. James’ character felt more lively and funny now than the first couple of seasons and, Meowth is just Meowth to me and he sounds more menacing.

Lillie’s dub voice is pretty controversial but I liked it. Ot caught me off guard first but the voice had grown to me and she sounds just right.

I think all of the actors done a great good. But I can’t help but think most of the older dub fans dislike the current dub mostly because they replaced the voices they grew up with and highly praise for. I do think if the dubs were switched from TPCi being first, 4Kids would probably be considered the worst. Like I said before, I do think most of the voices aged poorly and the dub will get heavily criticized for the edits.

I know very few of the 4Kids casts were kept (Ted Lewis and Rodger Parsons), but they I do like Ted’s voice for a villain. The TRio are jokes of the show, so making them feel lively and freely now definitely helped the current voices a lot. As for Rodger Parsons, he voice is so smooth and clear! Works very well for a narrative role.

Sham

I don’t think it has anything to do with older fans dealing with the dub change. I grew up with DP and I still think of the recent choices are terrible. Lillie, Misty, sometimes Kiawe and Serena all sound horrible.

LuxerWap

The Green Husky with a Broken Tail
I don’t think it has anything to do with older fans dealing with the dub change. I grew up with DP and I still think of the recent choices are terrible. Lillie, Misty, sometimes Kiawe and Serena all sound horrible.
You’ll be surprised to see that some people say they left after Season 8 for that reason alone. But eh, I think the voices are pretty good. I may be alone on this but I never mind any of them cringey. Maybe I have low standards I guess.

Sham

You’ll be surprised to see that some people say they left after Season 8 for that reason alone. But eh, I think the voices are pretty good. I may be alone on this but I never mind any of them cringey. Maybe I have low standards I guess.
I don’t think it’s hard to believe, so I believe you. I was watching a video about how people were outraged about it recently but I also think the quality of the dub has dropped after BW.

MockingJ

Banned
That, I also disagree on. I think Carter nailed James and Meowth pretty well. James’ character felt more lively and funny now than the first couple of seasons and, Meowth is just Meowth to me and he sounds more menacing.

Nailed as in he hammered a nail through James and Meowth's appendages as he crucified them, maybe. And what do you mean by James becoming more lively after Carter began voicing him? If anything Carter made James sound 40 years older than he should be.

Ryu Taylor

Unwavering beliefs. Richter Taylor is my name now.
Maybe I have low standards I guess.
Don't let yourself believe that. Your standards are perfectly fine.

On that note, I too disagree with every voice-related complaint made here in the last few posts. In fact, the only dub voice I'd say is bad is Lana's due to having absolutely no investment or emotion in her robotic performance. Frankly, she sounds like JP Lana (speaking of low standards, that's ironically the same reason others love her dub voice).

Want to know what low standards really are, Luxer? Look no further than people who claim Meowth's JP voice (a true torture weapon I wouldn't wish on common enemies of the human race if I ever heard one) is amazing while claiming any other voice or sound is bad. I'm not saying it's wrong to like Meowth's JP voice; I'm saying that saying it's good makes it impossible to be taken seriously as a judge of voice quality.

I don’t think it’s hard to believe, so I believe you. I was watching a video about how people were outraged about it recently but I also think the quality of the dub has dropped after BW.
Let me guess: the dub soundtrack?

Sham

Let me guess: the dub soundtrack?
The dub’s soundtrack for the most part sounds like elevator music. That’s how you know I don’t dislike the dub’s music just Ed Goldfarb's because I did enjoy DP’s who had a fair share of original music as I mentioned earlier. I will admit he got a tad better in Sun and Moon but overall the dub’s soundtrack still sound atrocious to me and when I’m hearing calm forgettable music during an “intense” scene it just turns me off. Not to mention you’re combining that with awful voices. Lillie sounds like a grown man impersonating a little girl, Kiawe sounds like he’s overacting at some points and I don’t even know where to get started with Misty. I will say I like Lana’s and Sophocle’s portrayal and Plumeria is by far the best. Which is the same voice actress that portrayed Shauna. She is a perfect example on how to switch voices up since I almost couldn’t even recognize she was also portraying Plumeria.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Yeah, Misty's new voice sucks. But I think Lillie's is far worse! I hope they don't cast her for any of the SWSH characters

Leonhart

Imagineer
Zoruagible said:
Yeah, Misty's new voice sucks. But I think Lillie's is far worse! I hope they don't cast her for any of the SWSH characters

I only recently heard Kasumi's TPCi voice, and while I don't think it's as great as her old voice from the 4Kids era, I think it's decent enough. It's a lot more fitting to me than Haruka's TPCi voice, which I felt wasn't even a passable imitation of the old one.

Blastmaster

I think the best of TPCi's dub is relatively equal to/sometimes even better than 4kids, though I have to agree the dub has been going downhill after BW. XY was the first series where I actually started watching the subbed version alongside the dub, and the difference in quality is really noticeable. It's not just the music, but the dialogue also learns more and more into just "endless exposition" territory. It's kind of hard to explain since every Pokemon series has a problem with exposition, but there's a certain... lack of personality in (most of) the dialogue. The characters just feel like they're describing everything instead of showing off their character through their lines.

SM has to be the worst dub, though. I've actually watched very little of SM because of how bad the dub is, and if I ever catch up on the series it's definitely gonna be with the subbed version. It's even worse than XY's dub with exposition dumps, and the voice direction is just worse. Even the returning voice actors for SM are much worse than they were in DP/BW/XY.

Also one other small thing about TPCi: idk if anyone else has noticed, but it really bothers me that TPCi will NEVER refer to Meowth by pronouns. They'll always say "Meowth" instead of "he" or "him," even though Meowth is blatantly male and this has been known since the beginning.

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls
Also one other small thing about TPCi: idk if anyone else has noticed, but it really bothers me that TPCi will NEVER refer to Meowth by pronouns. They'll always say "Meowth" instead of "he" or "him," even though Meowth is blatantly male and this has been known since the beginning.
I mean that's the case for every Pokémon, no? They seem to have settled on "We don't know the gender for all of them, so we will not use gendered pronouns for any of them". Which... I guess it's at least consistent? Though just speaking personally I think having Ash call Pikachu "it" feels all kinds of wrong. But, at the same time, having him use "him" for Pikachu and "it" for, say, Noivern... also feels weird, so they're kinda stuck between a rock and a hard place unless Japan for some reason decides to go out of their way to say "It's a male/female [WHATEVER]" every time a new 'mon shows up and... Why would they do that?

I did notice that they also removed Bewear's gender reveal entirely though.
JP: "Wait, Bewear's your mother?!"
ENG: "Wait, you and Bewear are family?!"