1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

I really enjoy the TPCi Dub of Pokémon.

Discussion in 'Pokémon Animé Discussion' started by LuxerWap, Jul 20, 2019.

1. Blastmaster

Blastmaster Member

I think the best of TPCi's dub is relatively equal to/sometimes even better than 4kids, though I have to agree the dub has been going downhill after BW. XY was the first series where I actually started watching the subbed version alongside the dub, and the difference in quality is really noticeable. It's not just the music, but the dialogue also learns more and more into just "endless exposition" territory. It's kind of hard to explain since every Pokemon series has a problem with exposition, but there's a certain... lack of personality in (most of) the dialogue. The characters just feel like they're describing everything instead of showing off their character through their lines.

SM has to be the worst dub, though. I've actually watched very little of SM because of how bad the dub is, and if I ever catch up on the series it's definitely gonna be with the subbed version. It's even worse than XY's dub with exposition dumps, and the voice direction is just worse. Even the returning voice actors for SM are much worse than they were in DP/BW/XY.

Also one other small thing about TPCi: idk if anyone else has noticed, but it really bothers me that TPCi will NEVER refer to Meowth by pronouns. They'll always say "Meowth" instead of "he" or "him," even though Meowth is blatantly male and this has been known since the beginning.

MockingJ likes this.
  2. Lord Starfish

Lord Starfish Fond of owls

I mean that's the case for every Pokémon, no? They seem to have settled on "We don't know the gender for all of them, so we will not use gendered pronouns for any of them". Which... I guess it's at least consistent? Though just speaking personally I think having Ash call Pikachu "it" feels all kinds of wrong. But, at the same time, having him use "him" for Pikachu and "it" for, say, Noivern... also feels weird, so they're kinda stuck between a rock and a hard place unless Japan for some reason decides to go out of their way to say "It's a male/female [WHATEVER]" every time a new 'mon shows up and... Why would they do that?

I did notice that they also removed Bewear's gender reveal entirely though.
    JP: "Wait, Bewear's your mother?!"
    ENG: "Wait, you and Bewear are family?!"

3. Sceptile Leaf Blade

Sceptile Leaf Blade Nighttime Guardian

Bewear's gender is weird in JP though, it clearly has the male Pikachu tail in the Pikala episode. But yeah, the English language is just weird like that, I think they use 'it' as a pronoun for all animals, so pokémon essentially follow that same logic.

As for exposition, I don't think they're expositing too much in general. Young audiences tend to need a bit more exposition than older audiences, and the show adapts to that. Besides, judging by how some people on this forum can't really understand anything if it isn't explicitly explained rather than just subtly shown (like how Pikashunium Z works, or that Rowlet's Brave Bird did more damage to Decidueye because it was attacking from above) I reckon it is actually necessary.

4. Blastmaster

Blastmaster Member

Yeah, but it just feels a bit disrespectful to Meowth since he's not just any other Pokemon. He can talk and is an equal partner to Jessie and James, so it feels like they could afford to make an exception there. It's also weird since Meowth frequently disguises himself as a human, but even when he does no one will ever refer to him as a him.

MockingJ likes this.
  5. Leonhart

Leonhart The Lying King

That's one of the few things that the dub has in common with the Japanese version at least since Nyasu is rarely referred to by pronouns in the Japanese version either. It's quite clear that he's indeed male, but I guess that keeping him gender-neutral is more appropriate these days.

MockingJ likes this.
  6. Lord Starfish

Lord Starfish Fond of owls

I mean, Japanese as a whole rarely ever specifies someone's gender. They can get away with it without it sounding the least bit weird.

kantoskies likes this.
  7. LuxerWap

LuxerWap The Green Husky with a Broken Tail

Honestly, I just feel that I’m one of the rare breeds who loves the current dub and will not miss the 4Kids version. Like I said, 4Kids did well in their dub, but we got improvements from the show, so the voices would age poorly.

It kinda sucks that people don’t give the TPCi dub a fair chance cause they missed the sub they grew up with for years. The reasons are mostly the voice actors and music, which are debatable, but the debate is super one-sided so much.

I prefer the current voices, and I don’t have to deal with 4Kids dumb edits anymore, especially paint editing foods *shivers*.

I’ll stand by my argument with the TPCi dub as long as possible since the dub really isn’t that bad and surpasses the 4Kids in more ways, imo.

Ryu Taylor likes this.
  8. MockingJ

MockingJ (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ

I think it's funny how you're pretending that TPCi doesn't edit things when they sure as hell have removed entire scenes and have even edited Japanese text.

9. Leonhart

Leonhart The Lying King

In terms of paint edits, TPCi isn't as bad with that as 4Kids was, which I suspect has something to do with the fact that the censorship guidelines weren't as strong when the dub began airing exclusively on Cartoon Network [and later Disney XD] compared to when it aired on Kids' WB. Even so, I was never all-that bothered by some of the edits that 4Kids had to make back in the day, because certain scenes like Kojirou's inflatable breasts were a bit much even in the Japanese version from my point of view.

MockingJ likes this.
  10. Sham

Sham Underrated show

Speaking of breast, was May's breast reduction a dub edit or overall edit?

11. Twilight-Kun

Twilight-Kun Pokemon World Champion

It was an overall edit

Sham likes this.
  12. Ignition

Ignition Buttwitch needs more appreciation

I mean I have nothing against anyone who prefers the dub because ultimately it’s just a localized version of a children’s show but I can’t watch the dub anymore with the new voice casting and subpar background music. Can’t get through a full episode anymore

Twilight-Kun, keepitsimple and Sham like this.
  13. Ryu Taylor

Ryu Taylor Unwavering beliefs

It's good to see there's still some reasonable individuals in TPCi's hate/dislikedom.

14. Leonhart

Leonhart The Lying King

I pretty much loathe Lilie's dub voice, and it's that kind of mediocre voice acting that makes me not want to watch the English dubbed version more often. When a character's voice is so shrill that it gives you a headache, that's when you know that there's something wrong with the dub.

15. Sham

Sham Underrated show

I don’t know who’s worse Misty’s or Lillie’s quite frankly.

Leonhart likes this.
  16. AuraChannelerChris

AuraChannelerChris "Where's the KISS concert at?"

Lillie's. At least Misty's doesn't sound like a forced sweet girl's voice.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019 at 6:18 PM
    Twilight-Kun likes this.
  17. Leonhart

Leonhart The Lying King

I don't much like Kasumi's dub voice in the newer episodes, but it works far better than Lilie's dub voice. I would think that whoever is in charge of casting would've tried a little harder when they cast Lilie's voice actress given that Lilie's practically the most important female cast member in SM.

Sham likes this.
  18. Ryu Taylor

Oh, you mean like...
    [​IMG]
    ^his JP self?

People can go ahead and have their problems with Lillie's dub voice, but let's stop giving the ear violator pictured above a free pass.

19. Sham

Sham Underrated show

You can’t complain about people attacking the dub of a tv show and use victimization when you literally go out of your way to attack anyone who likes the sub version. Make it make sense.

Pokegirl Fan~ and Leonhart like this.
  20. Ryu Taylor

See, here's a key difference:

The sub fandom--no, its standom--has a history of being unaccepting toward people who either don't like or don't watch the JP version. This very thread's originator received some attacks right here already, as did another friend of mine on Twitter who was told by a sub stan that it's because of casuals like him that TPCi continues to get away with "cheap decisions." Oh, and Bulbagarden has long made itself clear it only welcomes them and nobody else. Need I go on?

Now, I won't go claiming the dub fandom is free of sin (SOVA is living proof it isn't), but frankly, I'm more comfortable with them than with people who will treat something as little as indifference to the JP version as an act of war. I've been as patient as I could with them, but as of the fallout resulting from when SM064 got skipped, that patience finally ran out. Reasonable sub fans like Ignition are welcome near me, but the stans aren't. And frankly, it can be hard to tell which is which.