1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

I really enjoy the TPCi Dub of Pokémon.

Discussion in 'Pokémon Animé Discussion' started by LuxerWap, Jul 20, 2019.

1. Sham

Sham So proud of you

That's cool but like you're literally going at people on here for disliking parts of the dub and then proceeding to attack the sub. If you differ with an opinion why not support your arguments with facts and reasoning instead of coming at the user/sub. I could be going off the edge of a cliff but just a thought. I don't know anyone who specifically hates someone who likes the dub (and if they do they need to get a job) but simply running to the dub's defense over the tiniest opinions aint it.

MockingJ likes this.
  2. Shayminslicker

Shayminslicker Comes out of Nowhere

I don't really mind the TCPI dub, in fact, I don't really see much of a downgrade when I compare the two together. Probably because the VA's, edits, and other stuff don't particularly bug me.

3. Leonhart

Leonhart The Lying King

This is obviously just my take on the situation, but this is how I justify liking his voice: Nyasu's supposed to have an irritating voice because he's based on a cat and cats are often annoying creatures. So I don't particularly mind the shrillness of his Japanese voice [I also didn't mind Maddie's take on his character because it was actually hilarious to me, but that's another story].

Lilie on the other hand is supposed to be an average girl, so the fact that her dub voice sounds like an adult woman doing her worst imitation of a young girl's voice is just unfitting from my point of view.

MockingJ and Sham like this.
  4. Ryu Taylor

Ryu Taylor Unwavering beliefs

Elsewhere within this section of the forums (mainly the episode threads) is where I've done just that.
    Off the top of my head, uncutpokemon, Saladkukui (Twitter user), ii kanji (Bulbagarden user), The Giant Bacon Bird of Death (Youtube troll), and JPRPTrainer98 (Twitter user, and also the one who told a casual off for basically being a casual).
    Fair enough, I guess.
    I'd like to keep my ears safe from JP him, though.

And yes, I do agree that Maddie Blaustein did a great job in that role.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
    Sham likes this.
  5. Mizz Nikki

Mizz Nikki Black Diamond

I’m not a fan of the TCPI dub. Do I think it’s the worst dub ever? No, not even close. But, if I’m being honest, it just can’t hold a torch to the 4Kids dub. I grew up watching it so when TCPI took over, it wasn’t the same. I found that I didn’t get the same enjoyment that I did compared to the 4Kids dub and also, in my opinion, the dub voice actors with TCPI do not put the same amount of effort into portraying their character, not like the 4Kids cast did.

Not gonna lie, I did stick watching the dub for a while but it was the change in music that really rubbed me the wrong way and caused me to stop watching. Eventually, I ended up switching to the Japanese version and I will never go back to the dub.

6. Sham

Sham So proud of you

So watching earlier episodes, Lillie’s voice just got bad over time. The VA sounded okay during the first few episodes but just got worse and worse. I wonder did the show tell her to change it.

Source:

7. Leonhart

Leonhart The Lying King

There are definitely worse dubs that I've seen in the past such as the One Piece dub, but out of all the recent dubs that I've seen, I feel like the Pokemon dub is the most frustrating one because it could easily be so much better if the right voice actors were cast for certain characters, and also if more of the original soundtrack was kept.

MockingJ and Pokegirl Fan~ like this.
  8. Sonnas

Sonnas Well-Known Member

Especially since it's owned by a company that makes a lot of money from pokemon.

9. Sonnas

Sonnas Well-Known Member

After seeing this I want to ask to anyone that watches the SM dub are Samson Oak's puns really this bad in the dub?

Sham likes this.
  10. AuraChannelerChris

AuraChannelerChris "Where's the KISS concert at?"

Yes.

Pokegirl Fan~ likes this.
  11. Sonnas

Sonnas Well-Known Member

And I'm going on a limb and say that it's possibly because his puns and jokes didn't translate to English very well?

LilligantLewis likes this.
  12. MockingJ

MockingJ (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ

That and his character is just plain old annoying overall. The guy plays such a small role in the games but the Alola anime shoves him down your throat a lot more.

LilligantLewis and Emelie like this.
  13. AuraChannelerChris

AuraChannelerChris "Where's the KISS concert at?"

On top of the puns being so cringe-y, the timing when he goes Ditto is poorly timed for every pun, so he starts bringing the pun right before metamorphosing.

It's like a very cheap gag dub.

14. Ryu Taylor

Ryu Taylor Unwavering beliefs

No language in the world can make this stupid running gag funny. So, yes they are.

15. Sceptile Leaf Blade

Sceptile Leaf Blade Nighttime Guardian

Partially. They're also intended to be awkward and weird. But localisation and translation isn't easy. They have to translate the line and meaning over to the new language, make sure it sort-of fits the mouth movements and timing of the animation so that the character isn't suddenly talking very fast or very slowly, try to keep consistency with that particular character's way of speaking, and for Oak also put the pokémon name pun in. It's always a trade-off between those requirements, and I'd say generally they do a good job at it. Oak is just more difficult to accurately localise because he forces a reference to that particular pokémon name in the line.

LilligantLewis likes this.
  16. Lord Starfish

Lord Starfish Fond of owls

If anything I'd say they're even worse in Japanese. At least his English puns are actual puns, and not just random word chains. If anything they did an admirable job considering how awkward the original lines are to work with. Speaking as someone who has had to translate his puns myself... he tends to necessitate utterly breaking the English language. A lot.

LilligantLewis and Ryu Taylor like this.
  17. Leonhart

Leonhart The Lying King

I haven't watched any of his scenes in the dubbed version as far as I can recall since I've seen very few dubbed SM episodes in general, but his "puns" in the original version aren't that funny to begin with. They're generally meant to be more like "dad jokes" and comedic gag moments than anything too clever, so if the dubbed version of his puns aren't that funny, then it's probably because the original puns weren't very amusing either.

MockingJ and Emelie like this.
  18. Emelie

Emelie Bookworm

Isn't there a lot of pun related humor in Japan though? They often poke fun of the fact that many words sound the same.

Leonhart likes this.
  19. Lord Starfish

Lord Starfish Fond of owls

Yeah at least in the first few episodes, the joke wasn't even the puns he made, but rather the extreme cringe he induced on other characters...
    Sadly over time everyone in-universe seem to have just accepted that that's what he does (They let him hold a wedding speech! Who in their right mind would ever let that man hold a wedding speech?!) and so the one funny thing that could be gleamed from his awful word-plays is lost, and what you're left with is just an incredibly annoying character.

Leonhart and Emelie like this.
  20. Leonhart

Leonhart The Lying King

They do, although it's usually much more clever than what Nariya Okido usually says. Also even though I'm critical of the English dub, I did like some of their earlier puns, like the "cowterpie" pun from the third Kanto episode. I thought it was pretty amusing.

MockingJ and Emelie like this.