1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

I really enjoy the TPCi Dub of Pokémon.

Discussion in 'Pokémon Animé Discussion' started by LuxerWap, Jul 20, 2019.

1. LuxerWap

LuxerWap The Green Husky with a Broken Tail

That’s because they rarely edit things compared to 4Kids, and I don’t mean replacing most of the music either. They do paint edits but it’s mostly translating the words into English. What 4Kids will do is getting rid of the text all because their president think that children are too dumb to read.

And removed scenes are pretty much a standard since they have to have the show fit with Disney XD or Cartoon Network’s commercials to reach the 30 minute broadcast. And reminder, it’s a children show being broadcasted in different countries, so some scenes can be too risky to show because they don’t wanna get arguments from angry soccer moms, which explains the banned episode where Ash painted himself as a Passimian. That was reasonable. Removing text that are not offensive or changing food and objects are not.

That said, it’s fine that you guys prefer the 4Kids dub or even the English sub. I like the 4Kids too, but what I didn’t like are the big edits I have seen. It wasn’t as bad as the One Piece 4Kids dub, but it’s something that irks me the wrong way.

I will always love the TPCi dub because I really love the voice acting and the music change, which these are very controversial, but eh. I mean, Ash still sounds great, and so do the rest of the cast. Lillie’s voice did surprise me for a moment, but I got use to it a couple of episodes later. I do think TPCi have been taking great care of the dub so far, it’s been like 18 years since they’ve took over? Hearing people say that the current dub is still bad, still shocks me today. They have improved so much with the voices, rarely done any edits, and even made some great catchy themes like 4Kids were known for, yet it still leaves a bad taste to a lot of people?

I don’t want to this it’s a nostalgia bias thing, but it sounds like it. Besides, I haven’t heard or read anything positive about the current dub from older fans, and the positive thing about the 4Kids dubs from older fans is that they grew up with it, which is why everyone was so hyped with the announcement of Ash seeing Brock and Misty again in Sun and Moon. Or the time where they made the 20th movie retelling Ash’s journey in Kanto. Of course, they were upset that Brock and Misty were nowhere to be found, as well as Veronica not voicing Ash in the movie.

Togekiis and Ryu Taylor like this.
  2. Mr.Munchlax

Mr.Munchlax Thunder Trainer

Don’t you mean shoves him down your throat a Swa-lot, More-lull?

In all honesty, Samson Oak’s puns are one thing I give TPCi credit for. This schtick is the show’s problem, and I have nothing but respect for the dub when it comes to this since they manage to localize his corny jokes in a way that makes sense (at least most of the time anyway).

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
  3. Ryu Taylor

Ryu Taylor Unwavering beliefs

13, actually. But yes, that's longer than 4kids has had it.

LilligantLewis likes this.
  4. MockingJ

MockingJ (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ

I think I just hate the guy in general since I've always disliked Marc Thompson's voice acting.

Togekiis and Firefo×Fennekin like this.
  5. Leonhart

Leonhart Disney Fan

Time sure flies. Even though TPCi have been working on the English dub for almost twice as long as 4Kids did, I still hear Veronica's Satoshi voice in my head whenever I think about the English dub's Satoshi.

MockingJ and Firefo×Fennekin like this.
  6. LilligantLewis

LilligantLewis primarina donna

Yeah I mean, obviously it was the worst; it was literally the first thing they ever dubbed. Not sure why that is really considered a relevant sample.

It's just the norm for Cartoon Network, strangely, not just "older properties". Outside of randomly 3 or 4 shows that they decide to put in the evening, even their own orignals randomly get 7am timeslot like that Mega Man show that debuted last year. Btw before someone comes at me, by "original" i just mean that Cartoon Network is the first channel where that show is ever airing, I don't necessarily mean that Cartoon Network is involved in the production of the show. I'm definitely glad that Disney XD gives Pokémon 9am timeslot (even though it's not as good as the 10am that Kids' WB! used to give) and even airs episode-specific commercials sometimes.

Hi!

I think it's because anime are originally meant to be watched in the weekly format, so the creators expect that it's been one week since you've watched that song, so they play it again. Even though most Western viewers now watch anime in the binge format, where we don't need to see the same 2-min music video every 26 minutes, the binge format is not the original intended format/target audience.

You know, I thought it was supposed to be her character's shtick that she is low-key and straight-faced while saying absolutely ridiculous things, so in that sense I've always liked her voice actress.

Two things:
    1) i'm assuming this means Japanese pronouns aren't gendered?
    2) Thank you for explaining where her gender came from. Ever since people started using female pronouns for her in the forum, I've been wondering where I missed her gender reveal.

Well, it's one-sided when you pay attention to older fans who grew up with 4kids. When I've talked to kids that I tutor in math who started talking to me about Pokémon when they saw my shirt one day, who told me they "found old episodes on Netflix" they tell me they found the voices "weird and gross" their words not mine. They're also the target audience, so perhaps they matter even more than us?

when you say compare the two, are you talking about the 4kids vs. TPCi, or, original vs. dub

yeah, this is the same guy who said "mainga are dying in Japan"

and yes, he spelled it like that

7. Lord Starfish

Lord Starfish Fond of owls

Japanese sentence structure often eliminates the subject all together. It's very normal there to have sentences that are either just a verb, or just an adjective. Admittedly, I guess stuff like just saying "Cute!" is also a thing in English, but cheering "Won!" when your friend won a battle is a bit less logical in English.

8. PokemonKnight

PokemonKnight #1 Sylveon Fan

The only voices that still irk me are the long time characters (Ash, TR, Brock). Just too many memories associated with the original voices.

Togekiis likes this.
  9. Sham

Sham You can still do the right thing

So I’m watching The Power of Us for the first time and Haven is awful. Not as a voice actress but as playing multiple voices. She sounds exactly like she did as Serena. Did she even try to make Risa’s and Serena’s voice different?

saradanaruto and Pokegirl Fan~ like this.
  10. Leonhart

Leonhart Disney Fan

Kojirou and Nyasu's voices are the only two voices that I still think are genuinely awful. Satoshi's dub voice can go either way depending on the scenes and portrayal of his character, but I always get irritated whenever I hear Kojirou and Nyasu speak in the English dub since they sound so much older than they should, and Nyasu uses a lot of outdated slang for whatever reason.

11. theworldofkevinc

theworldofkevinc Pkmn Dub and VA nerd

The reason why TR is so corny in the dub is because James Carter Cathcart not only voices both James and Meowth, but also does script adaptation (lip flaps for example). He said himself that since he's 2/3 of TR, he likes writing the gags that he will later voice

12. saradanaruto

saradanaruto Member

So he does awful voices and annoying gags for his own amusement? That sounds very self-serving doesn't it?

13. Leonhart

Leonhart Disney Fan

So he makes the decisions for the English dialogue of the Rocket-dan trio himself and utilizes his position to give himself more enjoyment? As much as I dislike the dubbed version's portrayal of the Rocket-dan trio, I could probably tolerate them if Kojirou and Nyasu had different voices.

14. AuraChannelerChris

AuraChannelerChris Professional Scholar with a Sword

Oh, what happens when you don't get the right criticism to improve.

15. MockingJ

MockingJ (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ

Huh. I respect the guy for admitting that he gives them goofy lines for his own reasons, but I think he could do without the outdated terminology and phrases that he has Meowth use constantly. That's been Meowth's main problem for as long as Carter has voiced him.

16. theworldofkevinc

I don't think it's a bad thing that he enjoys the job that he does, he doesn't go out of his way to do this kind of thing to the other characters.

Also I'd say that JCC knows best how these characters would act, he's the only dub VA who's been on since Episode 1, and he has been doing script adaptation since S5

Ryu Taylor and LilligantLewis like this.
  17. Togekiis

Togekiis Well-Known Member

And I thank the heavens for that. At least he's not ****ing up the non-TR characters.

He obviously doesn't because his version of TR is an exaggerated mess that barely acts the way that the old TR did. Even as annoying as the 4Kids version of TR was, they at least sounded like actual human beings throughout their time. Meanwhile this James Carter guy has them use way too much alliteration, dumb sing-song lines and words and expressions that are 30 years out of date. So I can only come to the conclusion that he doesn't know what the hell he's doing, but gets a check anyway because of his seniority and probably can't even be fired because of his tenure.

MockingJ and Pokegirl Fan~ like this.
  18. Leonhart

Leonhart Disney Fan

I agree that if Nyasu stopped using phrases like "dig it" in the Rocket-dan's English motto and during miscellaneous occasions, I might like his character more in the English dub. But the voice issue isn't going to be resolved anytime soon unless his English VA quits.

19. Sonnas

Sonnas Well-Known Member

What about when Best Wishes happened?

20. theworldofkevinc

i honestly don't remember BW that well, but I'm guessing he tried to go with the reboot-esque writing he was given, but eventually went back?