• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

I really enjoy the TPCi Dub of Pokémon.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
If you want to see TPCi at its worst, watch Mastermind of Mirage Pokemon. It's really obvious that everyone who isn't Brock hasn't quite grasped the character voices. Brock's guy managed to do an OK job of imitating Eric Stuart from the start.

Yeah I mean, obviously it was the worst; it was literally the first thing they ever dubbed. Not sure why that is really considered a relevant sample.

And for what I heard, the time slots for it are pretty bad, it was worse on Cartoon Network when it was only aired extremely early in the morning and barely advertised. But this seems like the norm for older properties.

It's just the norm for Cartoon Network, strangely, not just "older properties". Outside of randomly 3 or 4 shows that they decide to put in the evening, even their own orignals randomly get 7am timeslot like that Mega Man show that debuted last year. Btw before someone comes at me, by "original" i just mean that Cartoon Network is the first channel where that show is ever airing, I don't necessarily mean that Cartoon Network is involved in the production of the show. I'm definitely glad that Disney XD gives Pokémon 9am timeslot (even though it's not as good as the 10am that Kids' WB! used to give) and even airs episode-specific commercials sometimes.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone who likes TPCi's BGM more than the original soundtrack.

Yeeeaaah, I checked, and they ain't here.

Hi!

Like why do they drag on for two minutes and such? Go on, you might as well release a damn album!

I think it's because anime are originally meant to be watched in the weekly format, so the creators expect that it's been one week since you've watched that song, so they play it again. Even though most Western viewers now watch anime in the binge format, where we don't need to see the same 2-min music video every 26 minutes, the binge format is not the original intended format/target audience.

In fact, the only dub voice I'd say is bad is Lana's due to having absolutely no investment or emotion in her robotic performance.

You know, I thought it was supposed to be her character's shtick that she is low-key and straight-faced while saying absolutely ridiculous things, so in that sense I've always liked her voice actress.

I mean that's the case for every Pokémon, no? They seem to have settled on "We don't know the gender for all of them, so we will not use gendered pronouns for any of them". Which... I guess it's at least consistent? Though just speaking personally I think having Ash call Pikachu "it" feels all kinds of wrong. But, at the same time, having him use "him" for Pikachu and "it" for, say, Noivern... also feels weird, so they're kinda stuck between a rock and a hard place unless Japan for some reason decides to go out of their way to say "It's a male/female [WHATEVER]" every time a new 'mon shows up and... Why would they do that?

I did notice that they also removed Bewear's gender reveal entirely though.
JP: "Wait, Bewear's your mother?!"
ENG: "Wait, you and Bewear are family?!"

Two things:
1) i'm assuming this means Japanese pronouns aren't gendered?
2) Thank you for explaining where her gender came from. Ever since people started using female pronouns for her in the forum, I've been wondering where I missed her gender reveal.

the debate is super one-sided so much.

Well, it's one-sided when you pay attention to older fans who grew up with 4kids. When I've talked to kids that I tutor in math who started talking to me about Pokémon when they saw my shirt one day, who told me they "found old episodes on Netflix" they tell me they found the voices "weird and gross" their words not mine. They're also the target audience, so perhaps they matter even more than us?

I don't really mind the TCPI dub, in fact, I don't really see much of a downgrade when I compare the two together. Probably because the VA's, edits, and other stuff don't particularly bug me.

when you say compare the two, are you talking about the 4kids vs. TPCi, or, original vs. dub

What 4Kids will do is getting rid of the text all because their president think that children are too dumb to read.

yeah, this is the same guy who said "mainga are dying in Japan"

and yes, he spelled it like that

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls
Two things:
1) i'm assuming this means Japanese pronouns aren't gendered?
Japanese sentence structure often eliminates the subject all together. It's very normal there to have sentences that are either just a verb, or just an adjective. Admittedly, I guess stuff like just saying "Cute!" is also a thing in English, but cheering "Won!" when your friend won a battle is a bit less logical in English.

PokemonKnight

#1 Sylveon Fan
The only voices that still irk me are the long time characters (Ash, TR, Brock). Just too many memories associated with the original voices.

Sham

The Guardian of War
So I’m watching The Power of Us for the first time and Haven is awful. Not as a voice actress but as playing multiple voices. She sounds exactly like she did as Serena. Did she even try to make Risa’s and Serena’s voice different?

Leonhart

Imagineer
PokemonKnight said:
The only voices that still irk me are the long time characters (Ash, TR, Brock). Just too many memories associated with the original voices.

Kojirou and Nyasu's voices are the only two voices that I still think are genuinely awful. Satoshi's dub voice can go either way depending on the scenes and portrayal of his character, but I always get irritated whenever I hear Kojirou and Nyasu speak in the English dub since they sound so much older than they should, and Nyasu uses a lot of outdated slang for whatever reason.

The reason why TR is so corny in the dub is because James Carter Cathcart not only voices both James and Meowth, but also does script adaptation (lip flaps for example). He said himself that since he's 2/3 of TR, he likes writing the gags that he will later voice

So he does awful voices and annoying gags for his own amusement? That sounds very self-serving doesn't it?

Leonhart

Imagineer
theworldofkevinc said:
The reason why TR is so corny in the dub is because James Carter Cathcart not only voices both James and Meowth, but also does script adaptation (lip flaps for example). He said himself that since he's 2/3 of TR, he likes writing the gags that he will later voice

So he makes the decisions for the English dialogue of the Rocket-dan trio himself and utilizes his position to give himself more enjoyment? As much as I dislike the dubbed version's portrayal of the Rocket-dan trio, I could probably tolerate them if Kojirou and Nyasu had different voices.

MockingJ

Banned

Huh. I respect the guy for admitting that he gives them goofy lines for his own reasons, but I think he could do without the outdated terminology and phrases that he has Meowth use constantly. That's been Meowth's main problem for as long as Carter has voiced him.

Leonhart

Imagineer
MockingJ said:
Huh. I respect the guy for admitting that he gives them goofy lines for his own reasons, but I think he could do without the outdated terminology and phrases that he has Meowth use constantly. That's been Meowth's main problem for as long as Carter has voiced him.

I agree that if Nyasu stopped using phrases like "dig it" in the Rocket-dan's English motto and during miscellaneous occasions, I might like his character more in the English dub. But the voice issue isn't going to be resolved anytime soon unless his English VA quits.

Sonnas

What about when Best Wishes happened?

Lunalah

Dub!TR was actually tolerable during the beginning of BW, which I think was more due to their serious attitudes than the actual dub script itself.

Ryu Taylor

Unwavering beliefs. Richter Taylor is my name now.
Didn't their serious side get panned by their own VAs that led to them losing IQ points to get back to their old selves.
Well their JPN VAs were panning it, not sure what their english dub VA said.
Yeah, their JP VAs couldn't quit living in the past, hence why TR went back to being ungodly annoying just when they got the retooling they needed.

I also don't know what JCC and Michele Knotz thought of serious TR. But rumor has it that JCC hated seeing Colress control Meowth later on in the saga.

Sonnas

Yeah, their JP VAs couldn't quit living in the past, hence why TR went back to being ungodly annoying just when they got the retooling they needed.

I also don't know what JCC and Michele Knotz thought of serious TR. But rumor has it that JCC hated seeing Colress control Meowth later on in the saga.
Why though? Meowth gets controled a lot in the past what makes this different?

Lunalah

Why though? Meowth gets controled a lot in the past what makes this different?

Yeah I've lost track of how often Meowth or any other Pokemon gets controlled. But on the topic of voice actors, I love that Veronica recently congratulated Ash for winning the Alola League.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Ok then, why is it I feel like no one seems to remember BW and only remember the bad parts of it.
Because the bad parts utterly overwhelmed the good parts, with said good parts ending into said bad parts. Wasted potential was something BW was very good at.

You can't simply say Iris's and Cilan's rivalries with their egocentric rivals were good without recalling how they just...stopped appearing. That immediately rendered Iris and Cilan obsolete and reduced their overall character arcs. Hell, Gloria could have interacted more with Iris's rabid Dragonite, but she only did once.

Or how Ash's rivalry with Trip had that slight hint of respect between both, but unfortunately for Trip, he warmed up too fast and...their rivalry anti-climatically ended. At a preliminary round.

Last edited: