1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

I really enjoy the TPCi Dub of Pokémon.

Discussion in 'Pokémon Animé Discussion' started by LuxerWap, Jul 20, 2019.

1. Lunalah

Lunalah Well-Known Member

Dub!TR was actually tolerable during the beginning of BW, which I think was more due to their serious attitudes than the actual dub script itself.

Twilight-Kun likes this.
  2. AuraChannelerChris

AuraChannelerChris "Am I supposed to laugh?"

Didn't their serious side get panned by their own VAs that led to them losing IQ points to get back to their old selves.

3. Sonnas

Sonnas Well-Known Member

Well their JPN VAs were panning it, not sure what their english dub VA said.

4. Ryu Taylor

Ryu Taylor Unwavering beliefs

Yeah, their JP VAs couldn't quit living in the past, hence why TR went back to being ungodly annoying just when they got the retooling they needed.

I also don't know what JCC and Michele Knotz thought of serious TR. But rumor has it that JCC hated seeing Colress control Meowth later on in the saga.

LilligantLewis likes this.
  5. Sonnas

Sonnas Well-Known Member

Why though? Meowth gets controled a lot in the past what makes this different?

LilligantLewis and Lunalah like this.
  6. Lunalah

Lunalah Well-Known Member

Yeah I've lost track of how often Meowth or any other Pokemon gets controlled. But on the topic of voice actors, I love that Veronica recently congratulated Ash for winning the Alola League.

7. LilligantLewis

LilligantLewis primarina donna

Yeah, makes sense lol, you were 8. It's so interesting to interact with people of such different ages on this forum!

Chill, he was 8

mehmeh1 and theworldofkevinc like this.
  8. AuraChannelerChris

Because the bad parts utterly overwhelmed the good parts, with said good parts ending into said bad parts. Wasted potential was something BW was very good at.

You can't simply say Iris's and Cilan's rivalries with their egocentric rivals were good without recalling how they just...stopped appearing. That immediately rendered Iris and Cilan obsolete and reduced their overall character arcs. Hell, Gloria could have interacted more with Iris's rabid Dragonite, but she only did once.

Or how Ash's rivalry with Trip had that slight hint of respect between both, but unfortunately for Trip, he warmed up too fast and...their rivalry anti-climatically ended. At a preliminary round.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
    mehmeh1, Ignition and LilligantLewis like this.
  9. Leonhart

Leonhart Well-Known Member

I heard about that, and I think it's nice of her to still care about Satoshi despite her not voicing him for thirteen years. I really liked her take on the character back in the OS saga, although by the time that AG started I was less enthusiastic about her voice acting since I began liking Rica's take on the role much more. Satoshi's TPCi voice has been so-so to me at best, but I respect Sarah because I've seen her on social media and she seems nice and very passionate about what she does.

mehmeh1 likes this.
  10. Sonnas

Sonnas Well-Known Member

Point taken.

LilligantLewis and Joesterr like this.
  11. Sonnas

Sonnas Well-Known Member

Okay I can kinda see that with Georgia, but what do we really count Burgendy as Cilan's rival since I feel like he wasn't bothered by it most of the time since all she did was just scream she was going to be better than him but that didn't go anywhere.

12. AuraChannelerChris

Though she was insane, judging what happened after she left, Cilan stopped being serious about being a poet, er, Pokemon Connoisseur. He became a quirky person...who could be seriously mistaken for James if he wasn't a "bad" guy. The guy never faced an S-rank connoisseur. He was perfect. He turned into...

A MALE MALLOW.

Twilight-Kun, Thumbs2 and mehmeh1 like this.
  13. LilligantLewis

LilligantLewis primarina donna

By that logic, you could say that because Gary and Paul weren't bothered by Ash, they weren't rivals, or the same with Ash and Sawyer. Whoever's higher in the rivalry frequently doesn't view the person lower in the rivalry as much of a rival, it's just that in our show, we're used to our main character being the person who's lower in the rivalry

mehmeh1 likes this.
  14. CMButch

CMButch Kanto is love. Kanto is life.

Guzzlord English sound >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Japanese.

Ryu Taylor likes this.
  15. Leonhart

Leonhart Well-Known Member

I don't think that Dent's neutrality when it came to Cabernet's attitude changes the fact that they were rivals: it was just a one-sided rivalry. On that note, I really liked Cabernet's dub voice and how she would say random French words. It wasn't faithful to the Japanese version's portrayal of her character, but it somehow worked.

LilligantLewis likes this.
  16. Sham

Sham show the unknown

Did Burgendy also speak French in the original version?

17. Joesterr

Joesterr Banned

I agree with this 100%. Guzzlord sounds like a man being tortured in the Jpn version like holy ****.

Ryu Taylor and CMButch like this.
  18. Ryu Taylor

Ryu Taylor Unwavering beliefs

Me too.
    Just when I thought the credibility of the claim that the JP performances are the best couldn't die any more, that humiliating sound (which sounds like some bum trying and miserably failing at doing an impression of Tom Cat taking a mousetrap to the fingers) came up. It makes Guzzlord literally impossible to take seriously as a threat.
    TPCi had every right replacing that with an actual monster noise that makes it sound like the fearsome world devourer Dia said it is.

CMButch likes this.
  19. Dragalge

Dragalge Arctozolt

You can't replace the Japanese voice of Guzzlord it's too good. A masterpiece of a voice!

Twilight-Kun, Sham, mehmeh1 and 2 others like this.
  20. Sonnas

Sonnas Well-Known Member

It also doesn't help that both Georgia and Burgendy had only 14 episodes of appearances (1 for their introduction and another in Rival Destinies for both) and the rest of them are just the tournaments.