• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

I really enjoy the TPCi Dub of Pokémon.

Ryu Taylor

Unwavering beliefs. Richter Taylor is my name now.
Now hold on, I am fine with people not liking the dub. I like to speak my opinion about the current dub because I think it’s underrated. I mean, yeah, TPCi wants to save money, but imo, they done a well job with the dub.
I'm fine with it, too. To a point, though. But as said by different characters per generation in the games: there's a time and a place for everything. And since you're brand-new here, it really rubbed me the wrong way to see that that was the way they (mainly Sham, UN Owen, and AuraChannelerChris) welcomed you here.

LuxerWap

The Green Husky with a Broken Tail
I'm fine with it, too. To a point, though. But as said by different characters per generation in the games: there's a time and a place for everything. And since you're brand-new here, it really rubbed me the wrong way to see that that was the way they (mainly Sham, UN Owen, and AuraChannelerChris) welcomed you here.
Ha, I’m just a rare kind who have a guilty pleasure watching the very first anime series I have watched since the beginning. I’m catching up on Sun and Moon though. What sucks is that because most people watch the sub, it’s hard to avoid spoilers on YouTube. People are posting videos of the Alola League and it made me a bit annoyed, but it’s something I can’t control.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
What sucks is that because most people watch the sub, it’s hard to avoid spoilers on YouTube. People are posting videos of the Alola League and it made me a bit annoyed, but it’s something I can’t control.
Honestly, spoilers from this anime are...useless, really, because it's retelling a story everyone who played the games already know, or it's telling a story of a kid whom eeeeeeeeeeeeveryone knows won't make it and handicap himself every time he goes to another region. It doesn't help anyone else is virtually expendable in the grand scheme.

(I still don't spoil things outside of their threads, though.)

Last edited:

Victorian Rush

Weather Manipulator
I don't watch many Japanese cartoons (refer to a few posts above this for why), but I do find Pokemon enjoyable because of how unlike other JP shows it is in general. The closest it ever came to being like a typical JP cartoon is the XY saga, and it definitely suffered for that. All it has going for it is good performances from the cast starting from when Lisa Ortiz got the job of VD (and thank goodness they got rid of Tom Wayland) and good dub music.

There are still plenty of animes that have superior dubs. Wanna see one? Check out FullMetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. Now that is a real anime, unlike Pokemon.

LuxerWap

Honestly, spoilers from this anime are...useless, really, because it's retelling a story everyone who played the games already know, or it's telling a story of a kid whom eeeeeeeeeeeeveryone knows won't make it and handicap himself every time he goes to another region. It doesn't help anyone else is virtually expendable in the grand scheme.
I know, it’s predictable, but still, I like to see other battles than Ash, and even Ash battles are pretty entertaining for me.
There are still plenty of animes that have superior dubs. Wanna see one? Check out FullMetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. Now that is a real anime, unlike Pokemon.
FullMetal Alchemist?! Excuse you, everybody knows that the Ghost Stories dub is real anime, let be real here. Lol

LuxerWap

Haven’t seen it yet but I’ll add it to my ptw.
Oh, I was being sarcastic about that, but you gotta check it out. There’s a history about the show that the original got panned in Japan so they told the dub writers to have full control of the show as long as it follows the plot and the name of the ghosts. So, the writers and the cast had a field day with it. It’s basically an official abridged version before abridged was even a thing. Quite funny.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
it's better than the 4kids dub at least. they did some really dumb edits back in the day
Tbh I hardly even care about music in anime even if I acknowledge that they help in some scenes. Even non-Pokemon anime music I have never been entertained with (me skip openings and endings unless I am on last episode for instance!). Like why do they drag on for two minutes and such? Go on, you might as well release a damn album!

I just wish TPCi could get better VA’s for characters. There’s a few great ones like Kiawe’s but still. If that gets fixed, me would like TPCi dub!

Genaller

Silver Soul
it's better than the 4kids dub at least. they did some really dumb edits back in the day
Maybe, but tbh the 4kids dub vouce acting also had some real emotion to it at times which the tpci dub has yet to replicate (for me at least).

LuxerWap

Maybe, but tbh the 4kids dub vouce acting also had some real emotion to it at times which the tpci dub has yet to replicate (for me at least).
Hmm. I do think the TPCi cast put in some real emotion as well. I think it’s only personal preference. I like the 4Kids voice acting, but I still think some the voices would age poorly in the newer shows. I have watched a video were someone asked Veronica to say a part in the XY dub with Ash’s voice and they put her voice on that scene. To me, it just doesn’t sound fitting at all anymore.

Leonhart

Imagineer
LuxerWap said:
I have watched a video were someone asked Veronica to say a part in the XY dub with Ash’s voice and they put her voice on that scene. To me, it just doesn’t sound fitting at all anymore.

That's probably because so much time has passed since she last voiced Satoshi. Personally, I preferred her voice when I used to watch the dub, although Satoshi's TPCi voice has grown on me a bit. It was pretty bad at first, but at least it improved unlike Kojirou and Nyasu's dub voices.

LuxerWap

That's probably because so much time has passed since she last voiced Satoshi. Personally, I preferred her voice when I used to watch the dub, although Satoshi's TPCi voice has grown on me a bit. It was pretty bad at first, but at least it improved unlike Kojirou and Nyasu's dub voices.
I do think the fans of the 4Kids dub forget that Veronica and the rest of the cast started out pretty rough as well, but gotten much better later on.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
I stopped maybe early or mid XY due to the voice acting taking a nose dive and the music just being really bad. At least with DP and BW the music was not so bad. I have no idea if what I heard in DP and BW was the OG BGM or dub but at least it was good to me. The DUB bgm in XY onward is just what I hear in a lobby. I'd love a new Ash voice not because Sarah is bad but because she is gorgeous and should do live acting.

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls
I stopped maybe early or mid XY due to the voice acting taking a nose dive and the music just being really bad. At least with DP and BW the music was not so bad. I have no idea if what I heard in DP and BW was the OG BGM or dub but at least it was good to me. The DUB bgm in XY onward is just what I hear in a lobby. I'd love a new Ash voice not because Sarah is bad but because she is gorgeous and should do live acting.
The dub's composer did change with XY, but DP and BW also kept a lot more of the original score than they do now, so it's not really certain if your problem lies with Ed Goldfarb's music being a step down from the previous English composer, or if it's down to the dub cutting more and more of the original score in favor of their own compositions. Talking dub composers specifically, I have seen several people claim that Goldfarb was a step up from whoever did it before.

Ryu Taylor

Unwavering beliefs. Richter Taylor is my name now.
I have seen several people claim that Goldfarb was a step up from whoever did it before.
I'm one of them.

And for the record, Mr. Goldfarb's predecessors were Messrs. John Loeffler and David Wolfert for TPCi, and Mr. Loeffler for 4kids (with Ralph Shuckett joining for the first 3 movies).

Ash's VA is terrible in the dub, just about lacks any emotion and the OST is downright pathetic. Watching Ash v Sawyer semis with twinkly twinkly elevator music really dampens the mood

There are some decent actors doing the dub, Serena's VA did a decent job and Clemont's and Cilan's VAs were both fantastic

I also love the first two dub openings of XY

LuxerWap

Ash's VA is terrible in the dub, just about lacks any emotion and the OST is downright pathetic. Watching Ash v Sawyer semis with twinkly twinkly elevator music really dampens the mood

There are some decent actors doing the dub, Serena's VA did a decent job and Clemont's and Cilan's VAs were both fantastic

I also love the first two dub openings of XY
I respectfully disagree as I found the emotion of the characters are pretty great and the OST really isn’t bad as everyone else say. If this was back during the Battle Frontier season, I would get cause the new actors started that season.

The OST for me is pleasant and not ear bleeding. I even hum these themes as Ed Goldfarb is a pretty good composer. I do understand everyone being upset that TPCi isn’t using most of the Japanese soundtrack, but it’s not a huge turn off for me as I still think battles are tense with the dub’s soundtrack.

Now, I really do not mind any watching sub. But anime in general is what I love and it was the dubs that brought me into anime. I really cannot watch subs as I cannot understand the language even if the text is there. The voice and actions speaks louder than text to me, so listening to Japanese voices while trying to read the text, and missing the action is a big “NO” for me. That’s why I choose to ignore what the characters are saying in Fighting games if the voices are subbed only.

I don’t hate subs, mind you all, just that I do not care for them at all. It’s only a personal preference of mine.

Sham

The Guardian of Ruin and Birth
In other news can we make sure Lillie’s dub VA never works again? She’s a main reason I refuse to watch the dub. She’s butchering my favorite character :(