• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

I really hate Johto purists.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Black Murder Heavangelon

Ow! Ow! Harder! Ow!
so you see, gen 2 added a lot of features, which is why it is considered to be the best, and why gen 3 is considered to be the worst, because gen 3 didn't have day/night features or a radio

gen 3 is considered to be the worst, because gen 3 didn't have day/night features or a radio

wut

gen 3 didn't have day/night features or a radio

So, while 3rd gen introduced double battles, abilities, natures, new items, improved IV mechanics, move tutors (which admittably just reused 1st and 2nd gen TMs), a Battle Tower plus the battle Frontier in Emerald, and the largest collection of games (count 'em, Ruby, Sapphire, Colloseum, Fire Red, Leaf Green, Emerald, and XD), you call 3rd gen the worst because of the lack of Day/Night features and radio? At least they had clocks, and Emerald had the PokeNav.

Before I end my post, I would like to say that i do not dislike the 2nd gen nor do i favor the 3rd gen. I'm just neutral to all generations. I just wanted to point out the ludicrousy of this post. Also.

I have never played Gold or Silver or Crystal. I started with Blue and moved onto Ruby afterwards because it was recently released at the time.

Zazie

So 1991
So, while 3rd gen introduced double battles, abilities, natures, new items, improved IV mechanics, move tutors (which admittably just reused 1st and 2nd gen TMs), a Battle Tower plus the battle Frontier in Emerald, and the largest collection of games (count 'em, Ruby, Sapphire, Colloseum, Fire Red, Leaf Green, Emerald, and XD), you call 3rd gen the worst because of the lack of Day/Night features and radio? At least they had clocks, and Emerald had the PokeNav.

Seeriously what is with the day/night obsession? It was gimmick that added little and just made it a pain to catch some pokemon. The pokemon games are better without it.

BlazeShadow

You know, the people who love Gen 2 to death and say that all Pokemon made after that are stupid and detest Gen 3 (and some of them Gen 4).

What really irritates me about these people is that G/S/C aren't really good games IMHO. Seriously, I've played Gold on my GBA...and I do not like it. I mean, sure, I'm probably going to like SS, but only because of the expansions they made to the original. And they say Gen 3 is horrible, when that is completely untrue. Seriously, Gen 3 had the best set of Pokemon ever, a good storyline, the original Battle Frontier (which was pure awesome) and...yeah!

Ok, so they might be influencied by the myseterious force known as "nostaligia". Well, I used to like Yoshis when I was 6. I now hate them.

So these guys tick me off.

What do you guys say about these strange, strange people?

Oooh, finally someone who I agree with.

Yes, gen 2 is the most overrated generation EVER. Johto is so boring and suckish they had to REUSE Kanto to make it decent. Some Pokémon are awesome (Murkrow, Dunsparce...) but there's a lot of boring, unoriginal ones (Teddiursa? Sentret?).

Xx Flare xX

This is the reason why i've stopped caring about certain things.
Kanto complain about Johto+
Johto complain about Hoenn+
Hoenn complain about Sinnoh (possible+)
Sinnoh will probably complain about the next region and more.

It's good to see that people (like myself) still enjoy the Johto region but (like all games) people become obsessed with it and make out it is (THE BEST) and that anything that follows it is utter crap.

Pay no attention to them. Your views are all that matters:D

DarthVader

To be honest, I think that most of the Generation 3 and 4 bashes are the people who stopped playing Pokemon during or near the end of the GSC era, and never really experienced much of the GBA or NDS games. And to whom Pokemon is a large part of their childhood... around my age group, for instance.

For instance, while I originally thought the Generation 3 and 4 Pokemon designs were vastly inferior, you do get used to them eventually.

chosen_one386

Angel of Chaos
I'm guessing that this topic has evolved because of the fact that we are currently in between the Japanese and American releases of HG/SS. Jhoto purists must be coming out of the woodwork. But, there aren't just Jhoto purists. I know some Kanto purists, a lot of them in my age group. You see, my first Pokemon game was Yellow, which I received nearly exactly ten years ago. Since then, I've played through every generation and nearly every Pokemon game. The fans in my age group (17-19) remember the 1st generation fondly. Some of them have turned into Kanto purists, but not all.

As for me, I like aspects of nearly every game. My favorite gym leaders are in Kanto, my favorite Pokemon (Umbreon) is from Jhoto. My favorite starters are from Hoenn. And my favorite evil team, side characters, and legendaries are from Sinnoh.

But, to sum things up, if you're annoyed by Jhoto purists, find something else to talk to them about. It's the same as if I was talking about something with a friend, and I got too worked up about the topic. Change the subject when they bring it up.

~Dragon_Master~

The Next Legend
You hate people because they like a different Pokemon game than you? It's all subject to opinion. Some people like Johto, some like Hoenn, or Sinnoh. It really doesn't matter.

pokemaster001

ugh, if anything, you just proved my post correct by pointing out the many things gen 3 added and how some people don't recognise it because of some features...I specifically said "is considered"...
(and if you really want me to point it out, then ok, it was also new evolutions, dual regions, almost a completely obtainable pokedex, backwards compatibility, weekly stuff, headbutt trees, whirlpool as an HM, the pokegear, a shiny pokemon quest, and more if I'm not mistaken that was taken out in gen 3)
Before I end my post, I would like to say that i do not dislike the 2nd gen nor do i favor the 3rd gen. I'm just neutral to all generations. I just wanted to point out the ludicrousy of this post.
this is my ending too...

Nixoth

Ace Trainer
You know, the people who love Gen 2 to death and say that all Pokemon made after that are stupid and detest Gen 3 (and some of them Gen 4).

What really irritates me about these people is that G/S/C aren't really good games IMHO. Seriously, I've played Gold on my GBA...and I do not like it. I mean, sure, I'm probably going to like SS, but only because of the expansions they made to the original. And they say Gen 3 is horrible, when that is completely untrue. Seriously, Gen 3 had the best set of Pokemon ever, a good storyline, the original Battle Frontier (which was pure awesome) and...yeah!

Ok, so they might be influencied by the myseterious force known as "nostaligia". Well, I used to like Yoshis when I was 6. I now hate them.

So these guys tick me off.

What do you guys say about these strange, strange people?

first of all, g/s/c were not terrible games, they were classics. second, i actually do enjoy the 3rd and 4th gen games. sure, nostalgia may be the reason for most people liking those games, but if you think about the original videogames, they sucked compared to the games we have now, but they were really good at the time because it was the new thing

Blueysicle

Master Procratinator

...You hate it when people put down 3rd Generation and yet you do the same thing to 2nd Generation? Well that's hypocrisy if I've ever seen it.

If somebody likes one Generation over another, that's fine. I don't mind that. But what I do mind and what really grinds my gears is when people whine incessantly about how 1st/2nd Generation games were masterpieces and that anything else should burn in hell. The sort of "purists" so to say that I can't stand are the ones that pick apart every little detail so they can find something to scream Ruined FOREVER about.

New Pokemon? They suck. New regions? They're a piece of crap. The grass looks different? Epic fail. Whitney looks like she has lipstick? Irredeemable. Sabrina has a different outfit? Game Freak sold their soul to the devil.

Concept

Führer of Fun
I suppose I'm probably one of those people the OP dislike so much; my favourite gen was gen 2 (although FRLG, which I suppose are gen 3 technically, are IMHO ever so slightly better than gen 2). I've never liked gen 4 or gen 3 much, although gen 4 was an improvement over gen 3 (or at least, DPPt was better than RSE. FRLG I've already said are good games). People like the OP assume it's down to nostalgia, but that would imply we remember things being better than we actually were and would be disappointed if we tried to go back to them. That's bull. The only pokemon games I play at all any more are Crystal and Leafgreen. A quick run down of the gens, as I see them.

Gen 1: Best 'mon design by a mile, but the technical aspects of the game were severely lacking. Kanto also had some cohesion issues; it felt like more of a set of unconnected places sometimes (particularly with respects to Pewter and Viridian, although after you passed through Mt Moon it felt much more cohesive. This is more a minor gripe with the opening stages of the game).

Gen 2: Best region thus far. The only one of the regions to truly feel like a place rather than just a series of disparate locations. 'Mon design was good, although not quite on a par with gen 1 (hence why the availability of gen 1 mons was good). Only real gripe with this gen is that Johto didn't get as much of the limelight as it deserved, and was shortened somewhat to fit in a watered down Kanto, but it gets bonus points for managing to fit in some playability after the E4.

Gen 3: FRLG were brilliant. Kanto still suffered from some of the issues I mentioned in gen 1, but the technical issues from back in the day were all sorted and the Sevii Islands were a fantastic addition; the only area in any other game that feels like a real place on a par with Johto.
RSE on the other hand; well, where do I start. They took a step back in region design; although the varied environments were kinda cool, it suffered from "disjointed collection of unrelated places" syndrome much worse than Kanto did (almost as badly as FF7 did, but that's a whole nother story). Many 'mon were knockoffs of earlier 'mon (Zigzagoon line, Beautifly line, Skitty line, Aron line to an extent, Plusle and Minun, Swalot line, Seviper, Corphish line, Feebas line, Walrein line, Salamance line... I could go on), and many of the others were two-for-one deals (Volbeat/Illumise, Minun/Plusle, Lunatone/Solrock, a few others), and a very few were just plain bad (Blaziken, which looks like a three year old drew it. Seriously, they showed they could do fire on a pokemon properly with Charizard etc then give us that?). I'm not saying that earlier gens weren't guilty of one or more of these things on occasion (the Nidoran lines come to mind as a two for one deal), but not to anywhere near the same extent. The villains were utterly ridiculous after Team Rocket - a crime syndicate to a group of brightly coloured eco-nuts is a major step down. The fact that the later stages of the game were entirely water based routes was, while quite a cool concept (the whole land/sea duality thing they had going), a very badly thought out idea given how many pokemon it essentially rendered unusable for the last two gyms.

Gen 4: Sinnoh had so much potential, I'm gutted they wasted it. Almost as cohesive and realistic a place as Johto, it seemed at first like just maybe they'd got back on track. The 'mon design was a slight improvement from gen 3; whilst there were still knock-offs (Starly line to name one briefly), the main problem here was its over-reliance on new evo's for earlier mon. Gen 3 had the right idea even if they went about it extremely badly; new gen should introduce new 'mon, not minor changes to old mon. Admittedly gen 2 was an offender here too, but not to nearly the same extent. From a technical standpoint it was the best; the physical/special split was well done, although the pseudo-3D effect left lots to be desired. The main problem's then; fewer new non-legendary mon than any previous generation (even with Platinum, only 89 mon in the Sinnoh dex are new non-legendaries; fewer than gen 2, and that's counting the evo's and pre-evo's of old mon. Remove them at it ends up around 70 iirc.). Secondly, Team Galactic. I thought they'd hit an all time low with Magma and Aqua, but apparently not; the plot was ripped straight from a 15 year old RPG ("bad guy want's to become a God, and only the 10 year old kid can stop him because no-one else cares obviously!"). Seriously, it makes the plot of the original FF look good. That leads me on to the ridiculous legendaries; Groudon and Kyogre, were a little far, but not too bad. The creators of time and space? God in a pokeball? What the hell were they thinking when they decided to do that.

Tl:dr version; some people prefer the earlier gens for valid reasons, despite the technical limitations of the day. Hence why people are so hyped about HGSS.

D

Deleted member 11515

It's mainly just the opinions of people. There are always extremists of everything! :)
Don't let it bother you or affect the way you like a game - it's a great generation regardless.

This is just a "which gen is better" topic in bare, though, I'm afraid.

*closes*

Status
Not open for further replies.