• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

I really wish the writers would stop "trying new things"

Leonhart

Imagineer
Spider-Phoenix said:
I think Paul was introduced at the right time. I feel like he wouldn't really work on AG. But maybe that's just me.

Is there anything in particular that would've made introducing Shinji during AG a bad idea? I can't think of how that would've made the AG saga worse in any way. Alternatively though, Masamune could've been a recurring rival in Houen instead if he had been introduced early enough.

game3524

The key difference between Paul and AJ is that with the later, it didn't take long for Ash to figure out that while harsh, AJ did care for his pokémon.

The same can't be said about Paul. For all we know, his main goal is strenght and Pokémon are only tools for that. I don't recall the series implies Paul cares or actually likes his pokémon. I feel that's what they were going for with Paul. At least as for his early appearances.

They didn't.

The writers just had other characters (notable Cynthia) spin Paul's methods as a different philosophy. This would be fine if they actually showed Paul caring for his Pokemon like AJ, but he was just an asshole all through out DP.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
it's a good thing people loved BW Ash and no one EVER complained about XY Ash being a soulless battle robot constantly. Man I'm sure glad continuous story telling was thrown out it really changed things for the better!

(if the sarcasm wasn't thick enough I thoroughly disagree with this mindset)

Continuity problems aren't really the writers trying new things so idk what ur talking about

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
"Trying new things" isn't limited to the Pokemon anime, as any long-running media franchises do that as well, along with corporations like Samsung and their smartphones, regarless if it is well received or not. If it's more of the same, the franchise/corporation would get stale and people would get fed up to it.

Last edited:

JW1004

This isn't even something that bothers me. This setting has a lot of potential to revisit old areas and touch upon things in regions we didn't get to see before. My problem is they're not grabbing that potential and teleporting all over the world with a different region every episode with nothing but old formulaic fillers. What's the point of going all the way to Snowpoint City if all you're going to do there is an episode that you could copy-paste to the harbour at Vermillion City and not change a thing? Like, I'd have loved for them to get more in-depth with some of the old legendaries and their lore, like picking up the old Ho-Oh plotline, or visiting Meteor Falls and the Draconid people from the ORAS Delta Episode, or maybe finally explore the Cave of Origin or figure out where Team Aqua and Team Magma got their hands on Groudon and Kyogre. They never did Xerneas and Yveltal in Kalos either if I recall correctly. I'd have loved it if they took arcs of a couple of episodes doing things like that.
This. Also I get the point of Go is to just 'catch' Pokémon, but I don't like the execution of it. I kinda wish they would travel for a few episodes to a certain region. Have Go actually work more to catch a certain Pokémon. Maybe come across old companions and forgotten random characters to catch up with Ash.

Leonhart

Imagineer
JW1004 said:
Maybe come across old companions and forgotten random characters to catch up with Ash.

But that would require a lot of work on part of the writers since reintroducing old characters would require explanations and/or flashbacks to remind the audience of who those characters are in the first place, because I bet that the vast majority of kids who watch the series now probably haven't watched every single episode of the anime unlike most older fans.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
But that would require a lot of work on part of the writers since reintroducing old characters would require explanations and/or flashbacks to remind the audience of who those characters are in the first place, because I bet that the vast majority of kids who watch the series now probably haven't watched every single episode of the anime unlike most older fans.
Not really tbh. They all had appearances in the credit scene of the 20th movie and all the episodes are available to watch online so they could go find out about the characters if they want to, plus there is a possibility that the parents can inform them of past characters as well if they watched the earlier series.
The references of past characters doesn't need to be flashbacks, they only need a few lines explaining who they are.
Besides bringing back past characters in episodes would be way better than having countless formulaic cotd/Team Rocket episodes.

Leonhart

Imagineer
BabaVanga said:
Reintroducing old characters wouldn't really require more screentime than introducing brand new character of the day.

I find that somewhat hard to believe, otherwise the writers would be showcasing random old characters much more frequently, not just in the new series but in previous sagas as well, yet they seem determined to introduce new COTDs most of the time instead.

Last edited:

game3524

Not really tbh. They all had appearances in the credit scene of the 20th movie and all the episodes are available to watch online so they could go find out about the characters if they want to, plus there is a possibility that the parents can inform them of past characters as well if they watched the earlier series.

Most of the parents (if they watched at all....) only watched the OS. That is why the majority of the callbacks/continuity references so far are from that series. We shall see, but I wouldn't be surprised if that is the only series that gets continuity nods.

Vfaction12

Most of the parents (if they watched at all....) only watched the OS. That is why the majority of the callbacks/continuity references so far are from that series. We shall see, but I wouldn't be surprised if that is the only series that gets continuity nods.

If you mean in the west, sure, but all the kids who grew up with Hoenn or DP are now in their early or mid 20’s as well and some are parents. AG debuted nearly 18 years ago and DP 14 years ago. Entire generations of kids who grew up with them are now the average range of 20-25 year olds you see online.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
If you mean in the west, sure, but all the kids who grew up with Hoenn or DP are now in their early or mid 20’s as well and some are parents. AG debuted nearly 18 years ago and DP 14 years ago. Entire generations of kids who grew up with them are now the average range of 20-25 year olds you see online.
What? The games released in 2008. How did the DP anime start in 2006?

game3524

I am talking about Japan. The average age of the target audience is 8-12. Their parents are in their early-mid 30s. The only series they likely watched was the OS.

If you read Daiki’s interview, the main target audience is kids and their parents, not young adults in their teens and twenties.

Vfaction12

I am talking about Japan. The average age of the target audience is 8-12. Their parents are in their early-mid 30s. The only series they likely watched was the OS.

If you read Daiki’s interview, the main target audience is kids and their parents, not young adults in their teens and twenties.

Yes I’m aware, but uh, you do realize people in their 20’s can have kids, right? For example anyone who was 10 years old when AG started in 2002 would now be nearly 28 years old. A 28 year old can have a 4-5 year old kid by now he watches Pokémon with.

I’m really not sure why you think the passage of time doesn’t apply to the gens after the OS now. As I said above, AG is going to be 18 years old come this November. We’re not in the early 2000’s anymore when Hoenn was just a few years ago. The average range of a kid who grew up with Hoenn is now mid to late 20’s.

game3524

Yes I’m aware, but uh, you do realize people in their 20’s can have kids, right? For example anyone who was 10 years old when AG started in 2002 would now be nearly 28 years old. A 28 year old can have a 4-5 year old kid by now he watches Pokémon with.

I’m really not sure why you think the passage of time doesn’t apply to the gens after the OS now. As I said above, AG is going to be 18 years old come this November. We’re not in the early 2000’s anymore when Hoenn was just a few years ago. The average range of a kid who grew up with Hoenn is now mid to late 20’s.

The Pikachu origin story, the flashback with Ho-oh, Lance’s return, the heavy emphasis on generation one Pokémon. The callbacks and continuity nods have all been OS related because that is what series the parents remember if they watched Pokémon.

EmeraldArcanine

#TeamScorbunny
If they wanted to try new things, episodes dedicated to telling the infinite "what if?" stories that can be thought up in seconds would be a great place to start, instead of showing off things the fans already know

EPsTksaUcAAcBVz.png
Hell yes I need this plot in my life. Would definitely be more fun than what they've been tossing at us for a while imo. It's like a crossover without actually being one. (Generation crossover? I mean we've had Misty and Brock come into Alola so it's not out there, then again that was purely fanservice...)