• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

I Should be Laughing but…

ParaChomp

be your own guru
I Should be Laughing but…

You know that thing? That cartoon, movie, comic, play, whatever it is. Doesn't matter where it's from, as long as it's a form of media. Heck, it can be a character from a form of media. You planned to go into it laughing and your reaction was completely different. Please share.

As for me, many Japanese cartoons and this little fella…
Hit-Monkey_Vol_2_1.jpg

EmphaticPikachu

A tired little girl~
totally Kokoro connect >:D...I thought I was supposed to be watching a funny story...and there were some comedy momments, but damn that was not the type of drama i expected. o.o...

In general any comedy show that proves itself to have a moral. Perhaps maybe you lower your standerd somewhat expecting to laugh, but then get surprised by what the author can subtly put into it.

Nyter

Island Challenger
I saw that movie "The sweetest thing" today with Cameron D. And I swear it was the most stupidest thing I saw...

Only funny part was when that chick "Jane" had her tonsils stuck to that man's piercing which was pierced... down there...

Actually that was kinda hot., but not funny at all.
It's supposed to be a comedy. It sucked!

PsychicPsycho

The first thing the comes to mind is over the top physical violence in Spongebob. I assume they meant for same of it to be funny, but mostly I just think 'Ew'.

Same thing with violence in Family Guy, although violence isn't as surprising there, so it's not as big of a thing.
Only funny part was when that chick "Jane" had her tonsils stuck to that man's piercing which was pierced... down there...

It's supposed to be a comedy. It sucked!
hawhaw

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Yeah, SpongeBob's "humor" is the only thing I can think of off the top of my head (as well as most sit-coms these days). We can argue that it's personal preference, but anyone with a brain can tell just how off SpongeBob is with what they think is humorous. Slapstick humor is funny, but it can't be downright cruel, and that's what's been happening to SpongeBob. I don't know how it is they're getting away with this violence that obviously isn't slapstick, but I think Nickelodeon is too infatuated with SpongeBob to notice what's going on in the show. I'm sure the show would take it a step further by adding blood and Nick would still worship it.

matt0044

^Well, Spongebob wasn't like that so much back then. After "Pranks A Lot" it was all downhill from there.

Kodocha. I thought the Anime would be sweet but there's are of heart wrenching moments here and there.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
^Well, Spongebob wasn't like that so much back then. After "Pranks A Lot" it was all downhill from there.

Naw, man. "Atlantis Squarepantis" was the start of the downhill slope.

Kodocha. I thought the Anime would be sweet but there's are of heart wrenching moments here and there.

Haven't seen that anime in forever. I had the same thoughts for CLANNAD. I expected to laugh a lot, but I cried just as much. I think it's healthy for a light-heated show to have dramatic, heart-wrenching moments. Helps give it an emotional balance.

Klizcool

GARBAGE DAY?!?!
Two and a Half men has kinda flushed itself down the toilet after Charlie Sheen was killed off. There's only so many pot jokes I can take before I get bored.

poix_the_yak

I stay noided
Futurama. Sorry. Maybe I haven't watched enough episodes to get to the good meat yet but the pilot and the second episode were just lame.

Hydreigon6507

I think most comedy movies are stupid (especially newer ones). I do not mean to offend anyone when I say that.
I have exceptions, though, mostly PG and PG-13 rated comedies. Those are usually not disgusting or stupid.

Sid87

I love shiny pokemon
Things that were/are supposed to be funny that are actually stupid/boring/etc?

Anything having anything to do with Seth MacFarlane (Family Guy, etc)
Anything having anything to do with Judd Apatow (Knocked Up, Pineapple Express, Superbad, etc)

Yeah, SpongeBob's "humor" is the only thing I can think of off the top of my head (as well as most sit-coms these days). We can argue that it's personal preference, but anyone with a brain can tell just how off SpongeBob is with what they think is humorous. Slapstick humor is funny, but it can't be downright cruel, and that's what's been happening to SpongeBob. I don't know how it is they're getting away with this violence that obviously isn't slapstick, but I think Nickelodeon is too infatuated with SpongeBob to notice what's going on in the show. I'm sure the show would take it a step further by adding blood and Nick would still worship it.

Of course, they worship it. It is a ratings monster even after all these years. The Christmas special that aired Saturday got 4.8 million viewers!

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
I saw this South Korean film I saw once called The Host once, and a lot of parts in that movie would fall into that category.

But there's this one part early on in particular. After the monster snatches up Hyun-seo, her family is at a mass funeral for her, and their crying just looks so overacted and ridiculous. I didn't know whether I should laugh at that, even if it did look ridiculous, because it's a funeral, and I'd feel like a jerk for laughing at that.

LordLucario21

Pokemon Veteran
Futurama. Sorry. Maybe I haven't watched enough episodes to get to the good meat yet but the pilot and the second episode were just lame.

Give it time, it gets really freaking good. Something that would fall under this category is Toy Story 3. Granted, it was extremely well done, but it was so freaking depressing, especially at the end. I never thought I'd cry at an animated movie, but that ending.... *sniff* If you didn't cry at least once or at least get close to getting teary-eyed, you have no soul ( or haven't seen any of the others)

D

Deleted member 318910

Every time Heath Ledger says a line in The Dark Knight. Seriously, when Batman is "interrogating" him, what he says is just so true.

Doux

I noticed that too! When I was out at my grandparent's house for Christmas, my young cousins were watching it and I was amazed by how dark some of the physical comedy has gotten on there. And the kids were just laughing and laughing about it! That worried me a little. D: