• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

I think know why Brock never became close friends with Dawn

Status
Not open for further replies.
It goes back to the writers. It would have gone against what they have been building up since the start of DP and that is the inseparable relation between the main protagonists. With Misty, May, Brock, and Tracey there were several moments where they expressed wanting to follow a different path from Ash, even before their actual departures. That was never the case with Dawn, how are the writers going to pry them off if DP was her last series is the challenging part.

*shrugs*

It's going to happen, it's just a metter if time really. In this case a little less than 2 months from now.

Champion Jared 14

For once, I can only agree with Teshub's opinions on Brock, as I feel that they were very well said. But when it comes to Dawn, you're still clearly delusional. Dawn is a 4th Gen character and has been used to promote DPt. She has nothing to do with Isshu, and so most likely she's getting the boot. Why else would the writers make an anime only female character if the intention wasn't for her to stick around?

KingMinun

Dawn/Sinnoh Fan!
Like people have already said, Brock never really bothered with the female companions. (Actually come to think of it, he doesn't really bother with Ash much). And like the other females there have been moments where he wasn't forced to be nice to her. Like in the contest episode where Ambipom is used in all rounds and Kenny enters too. She panics about Kenny being so calm, and Brock is the one who calms her down. Or Dawn's final ribbon when she faints, and Ash is there with a glass of warm milk, and says that Brock suggested you have something warm. Or in the Galactic special when the gang are hit by Iron tail and are sent flying backwards, Brock catches Dawn to ease her fall. So no their friendship isn't strong but there is still one there.

Kdude146

the reason why Brock is going good bye for good is cuz he won't be in any GV game so why keep him around when we won't see him in a pokemon game ever again I will miss Brock I have been watching Pokemon since I was 5 years old so even tho I have said I want him to go it will be hard to see him go after watching him my hole life but he needs to go cuz I don't want his chracter to be even more damaged after what happend in DP

Dark Cacturne

The Road To Victory!
the reason why Brock is going good bye for good is cuz he won't be in any GV game so why keep him around when we won't see him in a pokemon game ever again I will miss Brock I have been watching Pokemon since I was 5 years old so even tho I have said I want him to go it will be hard to see him go after watching him my hole life but he needs to go cuz I don't want his chracter to be even more damaged after what happend in DP

I guess everyone will miss him. He was such a funny character from the very beginning.
And 'damaged' is well-placed, you know, all those poison jabs from Croagunk probably damaged him :p

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Brock wasn't really in the DP arc beyond like 10 episodes, so it won't feel that odd to me when/if he actually leaves.

Same for Misty in Johto. Sure, she's in all those Johto episodes, but when she's focused on in like 12 of them...you don't really notice her existance in the rest.

Ash-kid

Ash-kid
I don't see any problem with that. He doesn't have to talk with Dawn, she is not his girlfriend.

GreatLiver

I don't see any problem with that. He doesn't have to talk with Dawn, she is not his girlfriend.

Yeah, I'm sure if I were traveling with a good friend of mine and another of their good friends, no effort would be made to become better acquainted with my friend's friend.

thunderblade12

What's sad is that with Croagunk and his involvement in the Team Galactic arc, Brock did more in Sinnoh than any other saga. And it was still next to nothing.

I don't really remember Brock bonding with May at all. If he did, it was something so insignificant that it doesn't even matter. Like when he taught Dawn how to care for her sick pokemon.

As for him and Misty, aside from ear-pulling what was there?

Brock was just a seat-filler IMO. A trio is a nice cast to have. Too bad they couldn't think of something better for the third character than to be Ash's personal chef and doctor.

Last edited:

Mr. Joker

keep calm & carry on
CyberCubed is being dishonest because Brock is not in the same level as Dawn and Ash. At first Brock started out with similar importance to Misty and the writers could make their interaction more noticeable because they were both supporting characters who had a relation to gyms.
Then Brock had less rapport with May, but could play things off with Max. Since both were kind of the "secondary" cast members whose actions did not influence the overall main story.
With Dawn, there was no point in Brock really interacting with her. At this point Brock was just a butler and homemaker. DP = Ash and Dawn, even Pikachu had to take more of a back seat. At this point people should not be taking a Brock-centric explanation for what happens in the anime. Just because he was part of the original series does not make him a sacred cow or sage. New writers who took control of the show during AG probably see him as the weird uncle whose time has finally come. People who are still stuck on that whole "trio" like this was 1997 should take off their nostalgia/bias/wishful-thinking glasses and look at the reality of the anime NOW.

You do realize that if someone said that about Dawn you'd spaz out, right?

pokemon fan 132

Reason why Brock didnt become close friends with Dawn is because they didnt have many thimngs in common,like he had with other characters like Misty for example.Seeing how both her and Brock were supporting characters to Ash having things to relate like being ex gym leaders allowed for their interaction to feel more closer and stronger,feeling like real friends.
With Dawn,Brock sometimes i could swear seemed like being stranger not having many memorable moments.

With Misty, May, Brock, and Tracey there were several moments where they expressed wanting to follow a different path from Ash, even before their actual departures. That was never the case with Dawn, how are the writers going to pry them off if DP was her last series is the challenging part.

Ok,when exactly Misty expressed desire to follow different path than Ash?So far she wanted to stay with group the most,not implying before departure any desire to leave.

Same for Misty in Johto. Sure, she's in all those Johto episodes, but when she's focused on in like 12 of them...you don't really notice her existance in the rest.

You do realuize,Misty received more screentime in Johto than Brock did i both Johto and DP?
By watching Johto,while it wasnt much its notable how Misty existed in there much more than Brock is nowdays.
Also it was more than 12 episodes,you might want to recount again.

Bubblewrap

Stop spouting out your theory that they are only 'associates by travelling with ash'. They are friends, of course not the same as Ash/Dawn, Ash/Brock, but.. so what? Their characters don't generally make the best of buddies, as Brock is there to be the older brother/mentor. They're still friends though, and whatever ridiculous reason you can think of (Brock knows Dawn is going? Wtf?) aren't to do with Brock himself, but the writers.

Spacialrend

Gallade owns
I can tell that one of the mods, (possibly Encyclopika, she's kinda active this week, I assume) will close this...

Anywho, I don't really think the fact that Dawn and Brock don't interact as much is really such an issue. For ages now, Brock has been very minor, like, his dialog has no relevance to the climax(s) of each episode, so not talking to Dawn (onscreen) never really effected her character that much anyway. Dawn looks up to Ash, not Brock. Its to give the main characters (2) all the focus, Brock's in the main group, but he's not the star.

Also, I'm starting to have a feeling Cybercubed may have OCD, or he's just stupidly addicted to Pokemon Anime

Last edited:

gliscor&yanmega

Brock and Dawn are friends. There are plenty of different levels to friendship.

You can blame it on the writing or whatever but all it really is, is complaining. You should know by now that complaining about a show gets no where(Unless enough people do it and causes a threat to end the show(Which doesn't happen all that much)).

Profesco

gone gently
Brock and May weren't close friends too. With Misty Brock has closer friendship, but basically Brock and the main girls have never been 'real' friends.

I don't really remember Brock bonding with May at all.

Really? Maybe it's just me, but I always had the impression May and Brock were close. They had a lot in common, and the writers often made it visible. They both went into fits over gourmet food, they often went off shopping together while Max went with Ash, they both are an older sibling, and I'm fairly certain they spoke and interacted more than whatever superficial dialogue Brock had with Dawn.

Yeah... I really do remember May and Brock being much closer and sincerely friendly than Brock and Dawn have been.

That's not to say I'm agreeing that Brock and Dawn aren't friends, mind you. Just that he and May were closer, and it wasn't forced.

The girls are here for Ash.

They say that in the Shipping section all the time.

Alfonso

Derpgull
Right.

I've noticed a trend with a large number of threads Cybercubed makes. I'm sure a lot of you would like me to say "He is a massive troll, and constantly baiting people to argue with him!"

No, I'm not going to say that. The trend I have noticed is somehow, an arguement always starts. Personally, I enjoy these threads because they tend to bring up issues within the show other than "What Pokemon will Ash catch next?" or "What attacks with this Pokemon learn?" They highlight issues with the writing staff, or character development. I like these threads and am sad to see people instantly attack them because they are paranoid that the thread maker is trolling or baiting them.

People seem to be very sensitive about characters that are brought up in these threads, especially if it highlights how ignored they are or if they are written out of the cast. This is definatly the case whenever Misty is brought up - people acted so butthurt that we had to ban Misty discussion for a time. I would like to encourage threads such as these that promote discussion. I would like for people to stop instantly attacking Cybercubed because they feel it is "okay" to do so because of his reptuation. If you don't like his opinion, ignore him. If he is indeed "baiting", then you guys constantly fall into his traps.

Also, can we try and keep Misty discussion to a minimum? I would love for people to be able to discuss her in a mature fashion, but that seems like it would be impossible.

If you are too lazy to have read what I just posted, then I'll sum it up: These sort of threads promote actual discussion, even if it touches upon sensitive issues for some people. Either contribute to the discussion or don't post. If you feel Cybercubed is indeed "baiting" you, don't respond.

Debates are allowed and encouraged, arguements are not - try to understand the difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.