• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

I think know why Brock never became close friends with Dawn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nightlingbolt

AKA Nightlingbolt
Ex-CUSE me, but does the episode where Mamoswine started to obey Dawn count for anything? Every trick she utilized in making Mamoswine all better, she learned from Brock! Granted, they didn't have much interaction after that, but I would think that earns two characters a relationship beyond just travelling buddies.

dragonpsychicrules

DragonType GymLeader
^ you're right!!! Plus remember the episode in which Dawn and Brock go to Lila's boutique together?? While Ash concentrates on special training for the relic badge??

Indragon

Back in the USSR
My point. Ash did nothing, yet Brock did even less.

LOL. Brock just can't fall any lower, can he? *sigh*

Either way, about the whole "Brock knows the regional girl's gonna leave at the end of Sinnoh, thus he didn't care about Dawn" argument - that's....a bit silly really. It's obvious Dawn and Brock weren't really friends, especially considering the amount of time they've been traveling together, and it felt unnatural and forced, but well, that's Brock and Dawn for you.

Alfonso

Derpgull
This is why I was never that interested in D/P. As well as Pokemon, I enjoy the group dynamic. Like most people, I enjoyed the Ash/Misty/Brock dynamic in Kanto. I also liked Ash/Misty/Tracey, although that's probably more because I like Tracey and have a soft spot for Orange Islands.

Ash/May/Max/Brock I felt was the best group dynamic. Many people dislike Max, but his presence allowed May and Brock to both bounce off him which was nice. Dawn never really 'clicked' with Brock and I personally never really liked the interactions with Ash and Dawn so... my interest quickly faded.

Profesco

gone gently
I like these threads and am sad to see people instantly attack them because they are paranoid that the thread maker is trolling or baiting them.

I would like to encourage threads such as these that promote discussion. I would like for people to stop instantly attacking Cybercubed because they feel it is "okay" to do so because of his reptuation. If you don't like his opinion, ignore him. If he is indeed "baiting", then you guys constantly fall into his traps.

That's what I said a while back. My sections get stale quickly because no one makes any decent new threads. I come to PAD pretty much because CyberCubed knows how to start real, lasting, interesting conversations. I like his threads too. There's always something going on in PAD, and more often than not it's thanks to CyberCubed. Shame to see him get such flak for it all the time, really. =s

Ash/May/Max/Brock I felt was the best group dynamic. Many people dislike Max, but his presence allowed May and Brock to both bounce off him which was nice. Dawn never really 'clicked' with Brock and I personally never really liked the interactions with Ash and Dawn so... my interest quickly faded.

Sorry to be post-stalking you, Alfonso, but I agree here too. DP's character interaction (at least between our three heroes) was a great deal less interesting to me than the previous saga's.

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
Brock and Dawn had the worst chemistry but I stand by what I said in another thread that Brock and May aren't any better. No I don't care that May and Brock went shopping I still didn't feel a deep connection with there bond. Brock and Dawn have been seen doing whatever it is together whenever Ash plays the lone hero and junk. Dawn actually learned something from Brock, it was because of him she was able to control her Mamoswine which shocked me because I was sure Ash would have been the one to help since he has had first hand experience in the area of disobedient Pokemon. The only thing for me that made Brock and May somewhat more better then Brock and Dawn is the fact that they fought each other in a contest.

Anyway Ash, Brock, and Team Rocket are all old characters who have been around for like 600 episodes so it's hard to keep there characters fresh after so long. Iris and the new guy are very lucky Brock isn't around to bring down there characters like what happened to Dawn, I like Brock but bringing him back for DP wasn't a good move.

Teshub

Banned
I see that the old-school fans are being too hopeful about BW being their saving grace. I don't believe the new series will be some back to basics take on the show, that will resemble the "glory days" of the first trio. It seems that attitude comes from them wanting the DP saga to be over with as soon as possible but in their short sighted thinking they are missing some important factors.

First of all BW is likely to continue the tradition of DP/AG for being mostly on the bland side of character development for the main cast. As we have seen many times the writers are able to give the rivals and other recurring characters some depth but for the main heroes they just emphasize certain things like friendship and cooperation. Iris might even take a back seat to some parts of the story because she is not a game protagonist who are heavily involved in the events of the game. This is why Misty, Brock and Tracey had small parts in the overall scheme of things.

Waterpokes

Brock now knows the cycle of Ash's female friend departing after a long journey, so with Brock, Dawn was the third girl, so he knew there was no reason to get attached to her. Dawn and Brock could barely be called, "friends," but more like, "associates connected via traveling with Ash."

It seems like the only time Dawn and Brock talked to each other is when the writers were forced to have them interact, such as when Ash was battling and Brock was explaining his battle style to Dawn. Brock seemed so distant from Dawn's contests and her success, and vice versa, Dawn seemed to barely try to get to know or understand Brock's personality.

The DP trio was artificial and forced as a group for this reason, the only friendship/bonding was between Ash and Dawn, but Dawn and Brock barely interacted unless they had to. Let's hope the BW trio has better and closer character interaction.

I dare to say that Ash and Dawn's bonding was pretty forced. They were all nice together, like from day one. Nobody stays friends with somebody from day one for so long. Some sign of conflict would be nice, but no. Ash and Dawn are buddy buddies! This whole group was pretty lame, and it doesn't really bring anything spicy to the group. It was like: "We're all friends, so no need to be enemies." Some conflict in the group makes it fun.

And if I think Ash and Dawn's friendship was bad, then don't get me started on Dawn and Brock's friendship, if you can even call it that way. I'm very disapointed in this group, but what can you expect? Considering we had the Hoenn Group before them, they needed to make something up real good. This group, doesn't, which is painful.

Plainium fan. said:
Brock and Dawn had the worst chemistry but I stand by what I said in another thread that Brock and May aren't any better. No I don't care that May and Brock went shopping I still didn't feel a deep connection with there bond. Brock and Dawn have been seen doing whatever it is together whenever Ash plays the lone hero and junk. Dawn actually learned something from Brock, it was because of him she was able to control her Mamoswine which shocked me because I was sure Ash would have been the one to help since he has had first hand experience in the area of disobedient Pokemon. The only thing for me that made Brock and May somewhat more better then Brock and Dawn is the fact that they fought each other in a contest.

I'm thinking Dawn thinks: "Now I have to ask this guy. What's his name again? Brook or was it Butch?" It was pretty forced. That was so incredible forced, just as this entire group. May and Brock did at least interact, and they did at least have something in common, and did something together. Dawn and Brock have nothing in common, except for being extremly boring together. I mean, this in my opinion might have been the most forgettable group so far, but the fact that it's that bad, makes it hard to remember.

But it's not like Brock should care for Dawn at all. He's not into Contests, and didn't he come with Ash because he wanted to teach him to battle or just for the adventure? And Dawn is too busy training to even care about the group. It seems that Dawn was pretty much training all the time, but that's just me.

BlueDragonfangirl

Eh? Did you not see the first few episodes?
Ash and Dawn argued a bit about contests and gyms being better.
And about other things too. Its funny, the Kanto fans thinking AG was horrible and now some AG fans are thinking D/P was horrible.
Some people already saying the new series won't be as good as the D/P series which doesn't make sense cuz we haven't even seen it yet.

Last edited:

Eternal Darkness

Eternal Evil
That's what I said a while back. My sections get stale quickly because no one makes any decent new threads. I come to PAD pretty much because CyberCubed knows how to start real, lasting, interesting conversations. I like his threads too. There's always something going on in PAD, and more often than not it's thanks to CyberCubed. Shame to see him get such flak for it all the time, really. =s

Don't encouarge him...

Anyway I think whoever replaces Brock will make us miss Brock and want him back halfway through Isshu.

TicoPokemonMaster

This is why I was never that interested in D/P. As well as Pokemon, I enjoy the group dynamic. Like most people, I enjoyed the Ash/Misty/Brock dynamic in Kanto. I also liked Ash/Misty/Tracey, although that's probably more because I like Tracey and have a soft spot for Orange Islands.

I agree with you on the Orange Islands they hold a special place in my heart. Especially movie 2.

you can usually tell if a group will have good dynamic in about the first few episodes that the group is formed.
ex.
Ash and Misty - the constant bickering
Ash, Misty, Brock - mentors to Ash
Ash, Misty, Tracey - again mentors to Ash, tracey connected to the group up until the point where they returned to pallet and Brock came back. look at that episode again and you could see that Brock was more focused on than Tracey

Ash and May - Ash became a mentor to May
Ash ,May, Brock, Max- again alfonso I agree with you. In the first few episodes we see that Brock bonded with may with the shopping, Max looked up to brock, ash, and may.

Ash, Dawn , Brock- from the first few episodes Brock hardly interacted with Dawn, possibly the first time they REALLY interacted was Ash vs Roark.

Indragon

Back in the USSR
First of all BW is likely to continue the tradition of DP/AG for being mostly on the bland side of character development for the main cast.

I thought AG was perfectly fine. Can't say the same for DP, of course.

This is why Misty, Brock and Tracey had small parts in the overall scheme of things.

At least they formed a decent and enjoyable group with Ash.

Which was ground-breaking how?

And about other things too. Its funny, the Kanto fans thinking AG was horrible and now some AG fans are thinking D/P was horrible.

I think all the other groups in their respective sagas were better than the DP trio.

Anyway I think whoever replaces Brock will make us miss Brock and want him back halfway through Isshu.

Physical impossibility :p

But anyway, I'd at least reserve judgment until I see him in action.

And I agree with everything Alfonso said, even down to liking Ash/Misty Tracey!

yeminied

Come to think of it Brock and Dawn didn't really interact that much, and when they did it was rather forced much of the time. DP seems to have been more about Ash and Dawn's pursuits, their friendship and rivals.

It's a shame Brock was used as a place holder. I'm glad he's leaving, all good things must come to and end.

Waterpokes

Some people already saying the new series won't be as good as the D/P series which doesn't make sense cuz we haven't even seen it yet.

That's the first few episodes, not like in the middle of the saga. I mean, they should have made some conflict in the middle, you know. And what does Kanto fans thinking AG horrible and AG fans thinking D/P was horrible have to do with anything? Just saying that the DP trio sucks and that Brock and Dawn has barely any interaction, which is kinda true, doesn't mean that D/P sucks, so don't make any wild conclussions.

But of course, it's a minus in the book for D/P, along with some other bad minus', but calling it horrible, is pushing it.

~-Overheat-~

Black/White!
Have you watched the show? Ash gets all the girls=D. He's like a chick magnet. He can break a girl's bike and make her follow him around for more than 4 years! He then dumps them and gets new ones!

imo Brock had just as much interaction with May as he had with Dawn. And obviously they're friends and Brock cares about her contests as much as he cares about Ash's gym battles.....i havent noticed anything different between his relationship with Dawn and the other girls...

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
It wasn't just the lack of Dawn/Brock interaction that made the DP trio dull.

The Ash/Brock friendship was also handled horribly this saga. You'd never know Ash and Brock were good long friends from watching this arc alone.

Kabuto

little punks!
How is this thread not trolling, you're suggesting that the character in the show thinks there is a pattern which only exists in the scripts. If this were true, Brock would never hit on women because there is a pattern of constant rejection. May and Misty left because the writers gave them good reason to leave, not to make way for the next protagonist. That may be the case in the real world, but not in the Pokemon world.

Say you meet someone you'll be traveling with for a long time. Would you not talk to them because they would eventually go out on their own?

Teshub

Banned
It wasn't just the lack of Dawn/Brock interaction that made the DP trio dull.

The Ash/Brock friendship was also handled horribly this saga. You'd never know Ash and Brock were good long friends from watching this arc alone.

The animators have a limited amount of time to fulfill promotional duties, progress the storyline and touch on things that interests them. Appeasing 90's era pokemon fans is probably near the end of their priority list. So you have to consider just the canon of DP and not the entire show from EP001 onwards to get the correct perspective. A great majority of things that happened before have no influence on the current series, and sometimes it goes off the mark, ie. Ash saying he remembers pokeathlons when we was in Johto.

Champion Jared 14

That statement would make sense if the writers had planned for Brock to never leave the main cast, and forever be with Ash. But I don't think that's what they have planned.

Status
Not open for further replies.