• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

I wonder if there's more emphasis on villains because of the lack of Contests

Status
Not open for further replies.

GaZsTiC

Alternating
They had Filler Archs instead.

Sinnoh was awfully clever about disguising their Filler by slipping in significant details here and there.

Yeah, and? Best Wishes has done worse - any episode that would have been filler, they add a minute of Team Rocket carrying out a mission to make it canon. It really annoys me.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Yeah, and? Best Wishes has done worse - any episode that would have been filler, they add a minute of Team Rocket carrying out a mission to make it canon. It really annoys me.

No, the only fillers were BW8 and the garbage bag filler. Both of which had a tiny bit of plot at the end.

garfield15

Digi/Pokemon lover
^^Ash got the egg in the trashbag episode and Meguroco showed up again. It wasn't really filler.
Uh, only episode 8 has done that so far.

Chill92

Good if there is more emphasis. We have had contests on Hoenn, Kanto and Sinnoh, so it will be great with a break for once. And it seems like pokemon musicals are gonna be one episode like the pokethlon in the DP saga, which I don't mind

KibaLG8

Well-Known Member since the DP Series.

Wow I thought people would enjoy no fillers.... I guess I was wrong.

(although in Hoenn Team Magma debuted in AG2

yeah, and they were gone by the first part of the AG saga.
hopefully since Plasma is appearing early, they won't get special treatment and stay forever. ): I don't like them..

but yeah, the writers have nothing to do with anybody. So of course they're going to spend more time on villains.

Agility

Bah.
And just think.. since TR / Plasma is being introduced early, they have time to do fruitabulous musicals later! (plz no.. :( )

Champion Jared 14

What do the pokemon contests have to do with the emphasis of the evil team? I'm not seeing the link...
Contests don't exist anymore and have run their course in the anime...That's not why the villains are getting more focus...it's because the writing is improving plain and simple.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Because now that they don't have to focus on Contests anymore, they're making a bigger emphasis on the villains as the main secondary plotline.

As great as Galactic/Hunter J were, we all knew they played third place to the Gyms/Contests.

This time we don't have that problem. And honestly, Dawn should have never been a coordinator so that was probably the problem with DP.

KibaLG8

Well-Known Member since the DP Series.
Because now that they don't have to focus on Contests anymore, they're making a bigger emphasis on the villains as the main secondary plotline.

As great as Galactic/Hunter J were, we all knew they played third place to the Gyms/Contests.

This time we don't have that problem. And honestly, Dawn should have never been a coordinator so that was probably the problem with DP.

I'm glad contests were scrapped. Ash gets focused on more....this really is like a second Kanto.... just that unlike the Kanto Saga, they added more humph to the villians.:D Seeing that preview got me pumped!! Stop Team Plasma/Rocket... that is the new side-quest!

An00bis

Wicked Witch
You mean like the summer school arc?

Those, and episodes that were only significant because a Pokemon learned a new move or something.

Some examples of the latter:
- The episode Piplup learned Hydro Pump
- The episode Torterra learned Rock Climb
- The episode Happiny learned Secret Power

Yeah, and?

I don't like the idea of people saying " Sinnoh had less Filler " when it's more " Sinnoh found ways to make Filler more interesting ".

Best Wishes has done worse - any episode that would have been filler, they add a minute of Team Rocket carrying out a mission to make it canon.

All episodes are canon, but not all episodes are necessary for purposes other then making the saga longer. Even if Team Rocket didn't show we can assume they're still carrying out their mission somewhere. It's not like they stop because they are not seen. A lot happens off screen.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Most BW eps aren't filler because most have had captures in them.

The last ep had Ash capture Sewaddle, ep before Zugguru hatched, ep before was Aloe's matches, before that Bel was introduced.

-Carnifex

I hope Giovanni tries to kill Ash, just like Hunter J did.

lol THAT would be heavy emphasis on the 'villain' part in BW.

Last edited:

Champion Jared 14

Well gee, I'm sure the writers aren't going "Gee, we don't have contests anymore, and our main girl isn't a coordinator, so we need to spark things up with the next evil team!"

I mean really....

Aurath8

Well gee, I'm sure the writers aren't going "Gee, we don't have contests anymore, and our main girl isn't a coordinator, so we need to spark things up with the next evil team!"

I mean really....

Doesn't seem that farfetch'd to me. Iris plays less a important role compared to May and Dawn. Cilan doesn't appear to be doing much more than Brock. Why does Ash have to be the only one with potential for a great arc? The evil teams have gone under huge changes. Team Rocket have serious goals now. If they can put enough thought into changing the style and personality of a character completely I have a good feeling that said character will have a good storyline attached to him/her.

JennaJayfeather

Gangrenous Creature
^^Ash got the egg in the trashbag episode and Meguroco showed up again. It wasn't really filler.

Uh, only episode 8 has done that so far.

And Episode 8 happens to be one of my favorite episodes :D (it was really cute and had a good plot, regardless of it being a "filler" or not :p )

I do think the absence of contests does help with the TRio plot and other villianous plots. Just because it gives them more time to think things through and stuff. (but I've always enjoyed contests)

Champion Jared 14

What does Iris' role have to do with it? So you also assume that simply because Iris is NOT a coordinator, that the writers simply have to make up for that in other area. And it looks like Cilan is about to get a Sommelier rival, and that's surely something Brock wasn't really given in his 13 year run.

But that's not the point. Pokemon musicals have replaced contests in the games, so there's no need to promote a coordinator this time. I'm sure the lack of having one does contribute to the writers having to improve the writing now, but I wouldn't say the lack of contests is the primary reason to focus on the evil teams more.

Jash Thor

Bringer of Lombax

I mean really....

Actually, that's exactly what they're doing. I think the point you're trying to make is that the Team Rocket/Plasma emphasis would be there regardless of whether this season had contests or not. That's just not true, though. Writers are constantly evaluating what works at the beginning of new seasons, so when they decided to scrap contests, they needed to choose something to fill that void: Team Rocket.

The writing is far tighter and exciting than previous seasons, but it's illogical to assume removing contests had no effect on structuring the show's plot.

Eternal Darkness

Eternal Evil
Sure. This really matters?

You guys don't really care about what may be a new mover for Pikachu?

An00bis

Wicked Witch
Most BW eps aren't filler because most have had captures in them.

That's right.

Most of the episodes so far aren't filler, but not all of the episodes are nessasary.

How many episodes would've been filler if a Pokemon empathized before or after its capture was caught in another episode? I can think of at least two ...

You guys don't really care about what may be a new mover for Pikachu?

Not ... really?

They used Pikachu less once the Sinnoh Team was set. Now that Ash has to rotate to show his whole Unova Team maybe we'll see even less of it. Not that Pikachu will be Oaked. Of course not. Just that we'll be seeing important battles it might sit out of.

Status
Not open for further replies.