• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

I wonder if there's more emphasis on villains because of the lack of Contests

Status
Not open for further replies.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
I'm starting to think the TR/Plasma arc is going to take up the "gap" left by Contests being gone.

While the Galactic arc good, they really only appeared in about 10 episodes...out of a 191 ep arc no less. This time they can focus on the villain arcs throughout the saga, since Iris lacks a quest.

Personally I prefer this route. The Contests wore out their welcome halfway into DP, and the horrible rivalries (excluding Ursula) and overuse of Piplup didn't help matters during the second half. I guess the writers felt the waning interest in Contests in the fandom was a good enough reason to axe them, and focus on more villains and action instead.

(P.O.K.E.M.O.N)

AshXSerena = Canon
Does that not imply what I just said? The villain team is the, "second subplot" this time around, because Contests are gone.

Hopefully this means it gets focused on more than Galactic did.

a lack means ''to little of something'' you should have said No' Contests

and of course it would' have you seen the animation' in the preview' its the best 2date maybe even topping the DP movie animations'

i also think we should see 'N' soon ' but not in these episodes' maybe when its about time to show the cliff hanger''

BlueDragonfangirl

Imagine had contests been gone in D/P? Think of how much they could have done.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member

Ash-kid

Ash-kid
I agree over here. They will probably get 15+ episodes through Best Wishes, to fill this short saga of 80-90 episodes.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
DP only had a few fillers between each Gym.

That doesn't excuse Cyrus taking 90 freaking episodes to appear and then do close to nothing in every appearance afterward

An00bis

Wicked Witch
They were going to do a Plasma Arch no matter what. That's to be expected.

To say that it's " filling a gap " would be a stretch, though. Team Rocket is actually seen less then we've seen them in previous series and this will probably be Plasma's debut. If you look at the episode count you'd say that Plasma is debuting incredibly early for making a big move but at that point Ash will also have three badges. When Galactic made their first significant move Ash had three badges. When Aqua/Magma started to get really active he had three. It's not really " the beginning of the region " even though it seems " early ".

DP only had a few fillers between each Gym.

They had Filler Archs instead.

Sinnoh was awfully clever about disguising their Filler by slipping in significant details here and there.

Could only be a good thing as far as I'm concerned. I sence a Team Rocket/Plasma Clash. Plasma may even side with the law to enforce their image of being vigilantes.

Well something had to fill the void (contests have been a very large part of the anime since may), I am very happy that they've decided to take a more serious path for the villains and hope they do alot more with their plot.

And i definately prefer more villainy than pokémon musicals or whatever

IMPERIAL DRAGON

Enemy Of Reality
I welcome the change, especially if the villains receive adequate screen time; it’s something I’ve missed since the early days. Team Rocket worked as a criminal organisation, they were more or the less the pokemon equivalent to the mafia, their focus was all about wealth and power, which is believable in any context. The last few generations of villains just felt slightly redundant, a load of lunatics looking to cause chaos or change the world in an absurd fashion, manipulating that generation’s legendary pokemon.

So while I’m keeping an open mind to the potential of Team Plasma, I’d also like to see some sort of conflict between them and Team Rocket. Extra screen time for both teams will be interesting, far better than fruity musicals I hope they never bother introducing. And it’s a nice change of pace to be without contests, they just felt an utter waste of time since May left, and even then I could have done without them.

Nightlingbolt

AKA Nightlingbolt
Obvious Iris-bashimg thread is obvious.

If I hear one more idiot say Iris doesn't have a quest, I'm going to punch a Cubchoo. I don't care if it gets revenge as a Beartic, I'll still do it. Why? Because I'm pretty sure Iris's quest is to raise Axew into a Haxorus. In fact, I'll even define the word for you all.

quest [kwest]
-noun
1. a search or pursuit made in order to find or obtain something: a quest for uranium mines; a quest for knowledge.
2. Medieval Romance. an adventurous expedition undertaken by a knight or knights to secure or achieve something: the quest of the Holy Grail.

In this case, what Iris hopes to obtain/achieve is evolving Axew into Haxorus. Get it? Got it? Doubt it.

More on topic, Team Rocket's appearances have been few and far between since BW003, with them not even appearing at all in a few episodes. And when you consider they're trying to go at a faster pace, they're not really compensating for anything.

Last edited:

Thriller

Its almost time
What in the world are you talking about? More emphasis on villains? TR have been appearing LESS!

lack of contests? there is none anymore LOL

QFT.

If the contests aren't featured in the games, they won't be featured in the anime.

Caseydia

Ace Trainer
To be honest I wonder if this was always the intention with Iris/Dento lacking their own real quests.

Well we haven't really had any focus on them lately. Only except for Dento right now. But isn't it still early to say that they haven't done anything yet? I can see if it's Ash's seventh badge and Iris and Cilan both didn't do a thing. But since that isn't the case, why don't we stop putting contests or other challenges to blame for making Iris/Dento interesting.

RickHoenn

Banned
Since when in the past sagas Team Rocket were real villains??????????????? -_- I only remember Team Rocket doing something significant during few eps in Kanto and Johto for the Lugia and the red Gyarados arcs.

Now Team Rocket are competent and Team Plasma are debuting early. (although in Hoenn Team Magma debuted in AG2 and TA in DP17)

So I'd like this, more emphasis on villains after they finally got rid of contests.

Teshub

Banned
Since when in the past sagas Team Rocket were real villains??????????????? -_- I only remember Team Rocket doing something significant during few eps in Kanto and Johto for the Lugia and the red Gyarados arcs.

Now Team Rocket are competent and Team Plasma are debuting early. (although in Hoenn Team Magma debuted in AG2 and TA in DP17)

So I'd like this, more emphasis on villains after they finally got rid of contests.

But what he is saying that there will be less focus on Dento, and specially less for Iris, now that they want to showcase the villains more instead of the supporting character's goals.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
They had Filler Archs instead.

Sinnoh was awfully clever about disguising their Filler by slipping in significant details here and there.

You mean like the summer school arc? I'd still rather have a group of eps that are connected with interesting characters like Angie and Conway, rather than one-shot filler eps where Ash helps a COTD with a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.