• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

I would like help buying a DVD recorder and DVDs

bronislav84

I <3 Catgirls
I would like help buying a DVD recorder and DVD-RAM DVDs

Did some research in this dated article: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/06/28/AR2007062801043.html

So I just found out these are a thing, just in time for them to be disappearing and BD Recorders never even coming to USA. My old VCR might become obsolete in my lifetime or I'll run out of tapes, but DVDs seem like they'll be around at least for as long as I live.

I need to be able to record shows when I have to go out, and I don't have access to watching everything online, no Netflix/Hulu, and I just prefer real TV. I know you can stream to Smart TVs, but like I said I don't currently have streaming services and don't know when I'll get one if ever. I absolutely refuse to pay for DVR, for the simple reason that it's not portable and can't be transferred to a computer.

Where can I buy a DVD Recorder with a Hard Drive, no Cable Tuner, and supporting DVD-RAM for many re-recordings? It needs to support the company Cablevision or not care what's running on Channel 3, and preferably support HD connectors as well as basic antenna. Prefer HDMI.

Any help is appreciated.

Nutter t.KK

can Mega Evolve!
Due to the difference between the US Market and the UK Market in the terms of TV and Video, All I can do is offer recommendations, and most of these will be easy guesses/generalized .

1. Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/DVD-Recorders-Players-Audio-Video/b?node=1036920
2. Ebay - The DVD Recorder is on the way out, by being replaced my Tivo and Netflix, so you may find one there.
3. Electrical Retailers with TV sections.

Alternatives (DVD optional):- Video Capture Devices - There are several types of these, and each with different connector options. Some of these are marketed as "Video tape" back up devices. More expensive ones will be able to record in higher resolutions with different connections.
There are a few things that you need to be aware of:
1. Several Cable set up boxes (and Sony's game consoles) will have encoding over HDMI, which will mean you can't use these boxes to record HD video.
2. DVD video disks that play on home theatre DVD/Blu-Ray players are Standard Definition.

To make the issue worse, I'm not the best person to answer your question, as one of the best Providers of content, BBC, provide Streaming/VOD for free in my area. Also, I have Tivo box next to my Wii U.

bronislav84

I <3 Catgirls
That actually looks pretty good. I'm totally not going to subscribe to DVR. Netflix/Hulu are portable so that's an option though in the future.

What do you mean that cable boxes have encoding over HDMI and I won't be able to record HD with a capture card and disks played on home theatre are in SD? Even if it's HD to begin with? Hey better than nothing. This is for personal use and I don't plan to make money off of it anyway. Just looking for clarification though of what that means.

Nutter t.KK

can Mega Evolve!
Ok, HDMI has a piracy protection option set by the Device manufacture/Cable company that will basicly make recording using a box that uses HDMI useless. My Virgin Media TV box that won't work with my Elgato Game Cap over HDMI. The PS3, PS4 and Playstation TV/Vita TV also uses it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-bandwidth_Digital_Content_Protection Since the is Protrection is over HDMI, other outputs are still available. My Virgin Media TV box actually has a connection for an SD video output labeled VCR, to allow someone to record the Video in SD. (The Connection is a European only standard SCART, which is common in the UK.)

As for being SD: The DVD Video format, which is what every retail Video disk uses, is limited to SD. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD-Video * By making a Disk in this format means any DVD player in the last 15 years will play it fine. Including this one: http://www.tesco.com/direct/tesco-t...screen/626-2106.prd?pageLevel=&skuId=626-2106 You can save a HD Video file on a Data disk, but then you need to use a PC to play it.

Compared VHS, the improvement in quality that DVD provides is will be noticeable.

* EDIT: The Sizes of 720x576 pixels and 720x480 pixels are Width x Height, and translate to 576i and 480i as height is used, and not considered HD by todays standards. (720p is 1280x720)

Last edited:

bronislav84

I <3 Catgirls
Then how do people make HD recordings? Or I guess that's limited to camcorders and not this? I honestly don't care too much about quality as long as it's not blurry. It's just that the multi region recorder from that list (Not that I care it's multi region, just that it has a hard drive) doesn't have a NA antenna connection by the sound of it.

Can you recommend a NA recorder or that's out of your element?

Last edited:

Nutter t.KK

can Mega Evolve!
Then how do people make HD recordings? Or I guess that's limited to camcorders and not this? I honestly don't care too much about quality as long as it's not blurry. It's just that the multi region recorder from that list (Not that I care it's multi region, just that it has a hard drive) doesn't have a NA antenna connection by the sound of it.

Can you recommend a NA recorder or that's out of your element?
There are HDMI to Composite converters. Example: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Component-YPbPr-Audio-Video-Converter/dp/B00622MA6W

Composite and HDMI can output HD video. Component, which was used on the older consoles such as SNES, N64, PS2, Original Xbox and Gamecube, is SD.

I've been assuming that you wanted to record video output from a cable TV box.

Now if you're looking for TV tuner to pick up signals from the Aerial, sadly I'm completely out of my element, other than TV Tuner boxes exist. Given the nature of Digital TV, Standards vary between regions. But these cards do exist: http://www.amazon.com/Hauppauge-119...ref=sr_1_3?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1430661214&sr=1-3

bronislav84

I <3 Catgirls
Oh I'm definitely looking to record after a signal has been descrambled by a Cable box. That's how I have my VCR set up and it just records channel 3. I'd rather not bother with having to buy one with a tuner then have it become obsolete when my cable company updates boxes. Just something that can record channel 3 in NA with a hard drive, please. DVD-RAM optional since I would be recording directly to the drive most of the time anyway. I'd also like to be able to edit on the unit itself like the way the Panasonic from the list you gave earlier allows. Without actual deletion of scenes. Though that's also optional since fast-forward through commercials is a thing.

Is there such a thing as a Component to HDMI or Composite converter? Or would that not be HD even after conversion since the source is SD?

Last edited: