• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ice Type is the Least Imaginative

jstinftw!

hey trainer
I honestly don't have too much of a problem with the Ice type.

Mamoswine is freakin beast. The ice cream cones are an awesome design, and pretty useful. Weavile is awesome. And Froslass? Nucking futs.

As it is with Pokemon, there are some designs that are just odd, and some with just terrible stats. But there are a handful that are pretty good for both departments, and a few more that are one or the other.

So basically, no I don't think the current Ice types are unimaginative. I just think that we need more. haha

Ulicies

Mild Monk
So, when you think ice-type, you would imagine giant bivalves, blonde humanoid figures and moving trees? :)
Lol. No, I imagine cool, slick ice dragons, or something similar. I guess I can't really expect that out of Pokemon though, due to the inherent style of the game.

Mystica

Thrill Seeker
Lol you're a fool for saying this. I'm not trying to prove or argue my point, nor am I trying to discourage anybody from liking the type. I'm not trying to persuade anyone of my opinion, simply that I'm stating it. The ice element is portrayed in really cool ways in lots of other video games, but when I look at the offering of ice Pokemon, I don't find very many that I just glance at it and say "Wow, that design looks so bad-***!" It's just my opinion that they're unimaginative, because imo, the Ice Pokemon so far just look like what someone would expect the ice type to logically look like, minus a few like Froslass, the Weavile Family, Articuno, Glaceon, and Kyurem. Again, just im

When you decide to design your own games with Ice types, you let me know what 'imaginative' designs you've come up with. By the way, I doubt the creator's intent was to heavily reference 'other ice types'.

I personally never use many Ice types in-game, but I rather like Lapras, Dewgong, and Weavile. ;o

As with most pokemon of a generation, they tend to sometime have...odd designs.

Ulicies

Mild Monk
I may have used the wrong word for my heading. Now that I think about it, the Ice Pokemon that we have are pretty good, but I just feel like there's a certain lack of the kind of Ice designs that I usually love. But this isn't WoW, or some other game that takes itself too seriously, and neither should I, or I should just gtfo. And I'm sure that we'll eventually see more Ice types rear their heads in later generations, but for now, I take back my heading and simply concur that we definitely need more.

Accipitri

Space relic
that I can definitely agree on. I'm kind of disappointed we didn't get more this gen - they introduced seasons and an area that is very cold (Icirrus and the surrounding area), there's definitely room for more ice pokes there!

Ulicies

Mild Monk
that I can definitely agree on. I'm kind of disappointed we didn't get more this gen - they introduced seasons and an area that is very cold (Icirrus and the surrounding area), there's definitely room for more ice pokes there!
I know! Perhaps they have some really cool designs that they're saving for the 6th Gen. I just hope that they don't rush it out; I'd rather wait an extra year for the team to get some really cool designs down than get it early and be disappointed with the roster.

Mystica

Thrill Seeker
There are some holes I'd like to see filled in for secondary Ice types. I have to agree with them being relatively low in number. I suppose GF doesn't want too many of the same recurring types but...yeah. It'd be kinda nice to see a fresh Psychic/Ice...or maybe an Ice/Electric. That has some interesting potential.

Ulicies

Mild Monk
There are some holes I'd like to see filled in for secondary Ice types. I have to agree with them being relatively low in number. I suppose GF doesn't want too many of the same recurring types but...yeah. It'd be kinda nice to see a fresh Psychic/Ice...or maybe an Ice/Electric. That has some interesting potential.
I'd like to see some more Ice/Flying types, or Ice/Ghost types, or Ice/Dark types. Or even a Poison/Ice type would be cool.

Mystica

Thrill Seeker
I'd like to see some more Ice/Flying types, or Ice/Ghost types, or Ice/Dark types. Or even a Poison/Ice type would be cool.

I like the sound of a poison-ice type. ;p Another Ice/Flying would be GREAT. Maybe one that has awesome mixed attack potential, with a trade-off of defense or something.
ICE/FIGHTING. THAT IS ALL.

Ulicies

Mild Monk
I like the sound of a poison-ice type. ;p Another Ice/Flying would be GREAT. Maybe one that has awesome mixed attack potential, with a trade-off of defense or something.
ICE/FIGHTING. THAT IS ALL.
I'd love to see a sweet Ice Phoenix or bird to be made for the 6th Gen. Poison/Ice would be harder to picture, unless they dumped Muk into a glacier and froze him up, giving him a third evo. What about a Fire/Ice type? That sounds so contradictory, but cool at the same time. xD

I'd love to see a sweet Ice Phoenix or bird to be made for the 6th Gen. Poison/Ice would be harder to picture, unless they dumped Muk into a glacier and froze him up, giving him a third evo. What about a Fire/Ice type? That sounds so contradictory, but cool at the same time. xD

I am pretty sure we will never have an ice phoenix. And Ice/ Poison isn't that hard, just make a pokemon based around a cold or something.

Ice/Fire is a hard one. My only idea is Methane clathrate, a form of methan trapped in water structures that is similar to ice, but can burn.

Accipitri

Space relic
Fire/Ice reminds me of Kirby 64, where combining those powers makes Kirby into an ice cube that melts :b
An ice/flying albatross or eagle would be cool, they could also make something base on the aurora borealis. Dunno how that would work though.
Poison/Ice could a frozen oil rig, or a disease, i.e. a cold. =P
ninja'd
edit: Ice/fire could maybe be a meteor? Or a volcano.

Ulicies

Mild Monk
Fire/Ice could be a frozen ice being that's bursting with flames, or that is burning, like the above mentioned with methane clathrate.

Monster Guy

Fairy type Trainer
Lol you're a fool for saying this. I'm not trying to prove or argue my point, nor am I trying to discourage anybody from liking the type. I'm not trying to persuade anyone of my opinion, simply that I'm stating it. The ice element is portrayed in really cool ways in lots of other video games, but when I look at the offering of ice Pokemon, I don't find very many that I just glance at it and say "Wow, that design looks so bad-***!" It's just my opinion that they're unimaginative, because imo, the Ice Pokemon so far just look like what someone would expect the ice type to logically look like, minus a few like Froslass, the Weavile Family, Articuno, Glaceon, and Kyurem. Again, just imo.

Completely subjective.

Nyter

Island Challenger
Ice types are one of the few types with STAB moves super effective against Dragon types.

But Ice types are weak against many types...

So they can be called "The double-edged sword type"

New Konoiche

I've always liked Ice types. A Christmas tree line (Snover) and an ice cream cone line (Vannilite) are both pretty original ideas if you ask me.

I don't really like very many Ice-type Pokémon, but Ice-type moves are great to have. I feel like too many Ice-types are underpowered (Glalie is just not that good and Cryogonal is completely outclassed by Regice, who is also not spectacular).