• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Identitical Cries?

Galluo

3rd-4th gen trainer
As you may know some of the pokemon in the games have identical cries.

Examples are:
Chansey and Pidgeot
Aerodactyl and Vileplume
Machop and Omanyte

Why would they have identical cries? Did the sound producers get lazy? Another thing I noticed was that they are all in the first gen. Maybe they ran out of possible sounds? If this is true then what about pokemon like Porygon2 and Girafarig? Whats you theory?

Last edited:

powerprotector

[Empty Space]
Maybe they programed the wrong cry
or they were too lazy.
most likely no. 2
;133;

Tiomasta

Not amused
Rhyhorn and Charizard.
Machamp and Slowbro.

I don't think they programmed the wrong cry, because all those just seem like each other, but there's a difference. It may be a small difference, but still.

Maybe more than one person created the cries, but they didn't check the cries the other people created and some ended up alike. Or maybe they simply got a cry, changed it a little as a new one because they were out of ideas.

oooo

Charizard's is similar to Rhyhorn's. The original games had limited memory, so they could not make 151 completely different cries. That's why the new pokemon generally have comlpetely different cries.

Grei

not the color
I always thought it was because of a lack of other options. I mean, with the sound capabilities of a standard Gameboy, one would think that after 140 cries, there wouldn't be many more combinations of sounds left, right?

But that's my guess. Another guess would be that, when they were programmed, there was a difference, but when you hear it in-game, they sound almost identical. As in, very minute changes that ended up not having much variation when the final product was done.

Witch of 'Cos

i love the pee pees
In the current generations, the cries are different.

But in RBY, they didn't have enough space for them all.

ShadowSplash

Spring is Coming!
As you may know some of the pokemon in the games have identical cries.

Examples are:
Chansey and Pidgeot
Aerodactyl and Vileplume
Machop and Omanyte

Why would they have identical cries? Did the sound producers get lazy? Another thing I noticed was that they are all in the first gen. Maybe they ran out of possible sounds? If this is true then what about pokemon like Porygon2 and Girafarig? Whats you theory?

I see the similarities between Chansey and Pidgeot and Aerodactyl and Vileplume, but I can still hear the difference (I've just about memorized every single cry lol). But yeah, they sound just about the same. Machop and Omanyte give me trouble though.

As for Girafarig and Porygon 2, there's a noticeable difference in the pitch, so it's easy for me to tell apart.

Rhyhorn and Charizard.
Machamp and Slowbro.

Good ones, didn't even think of those.

Charizard's is similar to Rhyhorn's. The original games had limited memory, so they could not make 151 completely different cries. That's why the new pokemon generally have comlpetely different cries.

Yeah, I can hardly differenciate those.

And to add to the list, Caterpie and Goldeen.

Last edited:

SteelMetagross

Certified Trainer
A while back I read something about how the original pokemon games had only about 13 base sounds that they used to make every single cry. they just cut parts out and made the pitch higher or lower to make every sound. (thats what I read anyway) so that is the reason they sound alike.

ChedWick

I'm glad I'm not insane. For some reason I never noticed any of them having the same cries until platinum. I thought I was losing my mind a little.

Sun

The Bright One
So nobody mentioned Parasect and Mewtwo yet?

Noheart

The Abysswalker
Another one is Rhyhorn and Charizard.
But I don't know, R/B/Y is like the primitive age compared to technology we have in gaming now, the cartridge probably only had enough memory for a few select sounds.

Tiomasta

Not amused
Anyone tried Scizor and Heracross, Slugma and Hitmontop?
Sure, you can easily tell which is which, but their uh, melody is the same.

BTW, Delibird's cry. I think that there's some other poke that cries like it, but I can't think of anything. ...Oh, right. Lugia. >_>
Also, Xatu does too too. Mantine does too too too.

Chaos Rush

That's because in the original Red/Blue(Green), there are only 37 cries. Those 37 cries are manipulated (pitch, speed) and spread out over 151 Pokemon. Also Gold/Silver introduced 20 new cries. Starting with Ruby/Sapphire, they had A LOT more space, so each Pokemon had a unique cry done probably with a synthesizer. Then in Diamond/Pearl, they could use "digitized" recordings, and use more synthesizer effects.

Also Dialga's cry sucks.

Tiomasta

Not amused
That's because in the original Red/Blue(Green), there are only 37 cries. Those 37 cries are manipulated (pitch, speed) and spread out over 151 Pokemon. Also Gold/Silver introduced 20 new cries. Starting with Ruby/Sapphire, they had A LOT more space, so each Pokemon had a unique cry done probably with a synthesizer. Then in Diamond/Pearl, they could use "digitized" recordings, and use more synthesizer effects.

Also Dialga's cry sucks.

Ah, so that's it. Explained simple and all.
So that's why I thought that lots of pokes had the same "base" cry when I checked the dex.

Try listening to Dialga's cry while you slow it down by holding the bottom part of the pokeball, at the Cry part of the dex.

But I still can't believe someone like Delibird cries just like Lugia.

Volt of Noid

<-- Best Shiny ever
Yeah when I saw the subject of this thread, I thought 'Charizard and Rhyhorn'. My assumtion is that they just couldn't program anything different that still sounded right. Then they heard some of the other cries, used them again and figured we would never notice...until your Charizard fights a Rhyhorn...*drops to the found in hysterics*

Last edited:

SteelMetagross

Certified Trainer
But I still can't believe someone like Delibird cries just like Lugia.
they do have very similar crys dont they. at least the games have improved so we can have a larger array of sounds.