• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

If Ash was "Ashley" and more

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cenzo

Red: True Master
I'm now Working on a lesbian Pokeshipping gender bender Ash as Ashley fic. I'll post the link when I'm done.

Whiscash

Professional catfish
This topic is really quite complex, actually...o_O

But maybe if Poké/Contestshipping *were* canon yuri ships, Pokémon would be viewed as an animé that *has* canonly gay characters, instead of, as it is, an animé that can't/wouldn't have them, because it's aimed at kids. = / It probably wouldn't be considered a children's show then...

I know I'd definitely sense something not-entirely-platonic between girl!Ash/Misty and May/girl!Drew...But then, I do that all the time with non-canon slash ships anyway. XD

Jo-Jo

blows stuff uhup
There seems to be some confusion on how we're meant to approach this topic.

As I see it, if we're trying to assess how a ship would be different if one of the characters involved was the opposite gender, you have to assume that everything else about the ship remains the same. You can't figure out the effect a particular variable has upon a situation unless that one variable is the only thing that changes. E.g. If you want to discover how a certain material will react if you heat it up, your experiment will be worthless if you switch the material for something else prior to heating it. Similarly, if you assume that "Ashley" and Misty's relationship would be platonic regardless of the shippy hints that existed between Ash and Misty, then it becomes pointless to speculate on how the ship's fanbase might be different if Ash were female. Removing the hints is going to cause a drastic change before you even factor in the fact that the ship is now femmeslash.

If Ash was a girl, the 'alpha male + alpha female' mentality wouldn't apply
But then, as the co-stars of the show, I can imagine more people would pair up Ashley and May/Dawn with the mentality of two "alpha females".
I doubt it. Most people are far likelier to see romance between a boy and girl than between two girls.

And I forget, what's Comashipping again?
Ash/Paul.

Cenzo

^Once again Jo-Jo shows she's smarter than all of us, especially me. (Although if you're smarter than me that's not saying much.) Like she said if you do take away the shippy from a ship what is it? A py? If that's what you wanna do you're ruining the idea of this thread.

supershake

Psycho Trainer
Pokeshipping would be far better if Ash were Ashley. Gary and Ashley would be the best couple there's even a site about the two.

Whiscash

Professional catfish
^ Bashou x Buson from the Raikou special if you want it original (and yaoi)...Or Atilla x Hun for dub-added het >_<

Thought: If the writers still intended yuri!Pokéshipping and yuri!Contestshipping to be canon, would the hints have to be more blatant? Due to the fact that people are more likely to read romance into boy/girl than girl/girl interactions?

honey_clover112

tsundere full force!
Pokeshipping would be far better if Ash were Ashley. Gary and Ashley would be the best couple there's even a site about the two.

Yaye, Pallet.XD

But seriously, I think the shippers wouldn't support the ship very much, for people did ship this particular shipping for yaoi or somethings like that.

Haha, shipping overload.

;006;

DarkLegend

The Grand Draconian
Ok this thread is mainly about situations in which Ash and Drew were girls instead of boys leading to either a yuri Pokeshipping/Contestshipping or a cannon Palletshipping...

So here's my idea, what if the genders were switched altogether.
That is what if Ash was Ashley and Misty was Mister? (Ok that was bad!)
So what are your opinons on that?
Would pokeshipping remain the same or would it drasticly change?
Same goes for contestshipping...
I think it would work really well for pokeshipping because Misty tends to be more dominating towards Ash than the other way around...

Also, I thought of writing a comedy fanfic in which Ash and May switch bodies and are forced to go through each other's personal problems. One is where Ash in May's body is forced to go on a date with Drew while weraing something highly revealing. On top of that Drew has a bit too much too drink and beahves naughtily with Ash. Now this may sound sick and perverted at first but trust me it's not...
However, I'll only do it if people are interested...
Anyone??

Cenzo

^I actually think if both genders were reversed the ships would stay the same. Write that fic please!

DarkLegend

The Grand Draconian
^I actually think if both genders were reversed the ships would stay the same. Write that fic please!

True! However, I think Misty would declare HIS love for Ash much sooner than we expect Ash too... Pokeshipping would turn into a serious relationship then which is what most PS'ers like me dream off.
Contestshipping would'nt change even by one bit... May would be the clumsy guy who tries to be the best while Drew would be the ever confident and clever female coordinator we would all love so much...

Oh and Cenzo! Seeing your exitement, I'll now DEFINATELY write the fanfic... but I wonder about the rating though... Certainly not extreme enough to be R or tame enough to be PG-13...

Cenzo

^Just go with PG-13. If you can tone it down just a bit in some areas you can just do that. If you don't wanna tone it down go for the R and say why. No matter what sex they are though Misty will tell Ash first. That's just how it will work.

Status
Not open for further replies.