• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

If I were to get a PC that would play games?

Arceusgamer14

I'm saving my money currently to buy something big like a computer or something, and I want it to play games PC games old and new, but what would I need to play games especially older games for the PC like the ones on MS DOS and something like that, so what computer would be good for me? Like what would be a good computer that can play games?

Abstinence Pistols

There are lots of options specifically designed for running DOS games on modern OSes. DOSbox is widely considered the best.

Games that are not DOS-based but are still fairly old may need some kind of tweaks to get running but that can't be helped, there's always compatibility mode if they're really not working. In general any new PC should be fine for old games also.

Nutter t.KK

can Mega Evolve!
Most "older" games should run not counting the issues Un0va pointed out, on Most Pc.

There is a selection of Windows games and software of a between 95 to 2001 may not work on the more Modern 64-bit OSes. Dos box can't help because it's windows software. Some Programs show this Message: http://www.evernote.com/shard/s9/sh...dd75b59c0b81/55ede16385d0f04aa96a70d24193df49

In some Cases, such as Star Trek Voyager Elite Force. It it may only the Launcher that won't work, you can find the installer and run it manually. In this case, I couldn't find any Windows software that ran, however a large amount of the games were DOS games running in Windows anyway. In most of the software cases you'd be able to find Modern replacements.

There are a few games that have "engine" Ports, but may require the game files to run. eduke/Duke Nukem 3d:Megaton Edition for Duke Nukem 3d, D1X and D2X for Decent 1 and 2. Mind you those the games are Dos Games

John Madden

resident policy guy
About two weeks late, but what are the most advanced games you're planning on playing on this hypothetical PC?

(your answer to this question determines whether I recommend a prebuilt machine or something you'd build yourself)

Yami Ron

Elite Member
If you have Windows 7 and Virtual PC, you could possibly try and make a virtual instance of the old MS-DOS operating system on it. I don't know if it would work though unless you have a CD version of MS-DOS (if it even exists).

Nutter t.KK

can Mega Evolve!
If you have Windows 7 and Virtual PC, you could possibly try and make a virtual instance of the old MS-DOS operating system on it. I don't know if it would work though unless you have a CD version of MS-DOS (if it even exists).

Considering the MS-DOS 6.22 sold before CD-ROMS were standard, and it came on 3 1.44 MB Floppies. You'd better hope for that you have MSDN* Account or be a Valid OEM Partner, as that's the only way to get it, legally.

*MSDN is short for Microsoft Developer Network. You can find the links to the files, they won't let you download without a Valid License for MSDN, which I've been told starts at US$2000 Per year.