• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

If it wasn't Meowth, what other Gen 1 Pokemon would fit well as main member of TRio?

Snupiks

IMO, Farfetch'd; I also thought of Ghost Pokemon, but they would have been too creepy for people like Musashi, and Kojiro.

Btw, kinda shame that anime ruined Arbok and Weezing, they are kinda cool designed, especially Arbok.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Ditto for the endless gags similar to Wobbuffet where it can be pretty useful but it's underutilized or inexperienced

Jigglypuff could work as well especially since it's one of the most well known Pokemon thanks to the anime and Smash (Meowth should've been in Smash before it js)

Leonhart

Imagineer
Nyasu is so synonymous with the Rocket-dan that it's hard to imagine them having anything else as their mascot/partner. I like the idea of Purin having taken Nyasu's place however since that'd be amusing, or else Pippi since it was initially planned to be Satoshi's main Pokemon if I remember right, so the Rocket-dan having it sort of as Pikachu's counterpart would've been interesting.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
I don't think any other pokemon would fit TR as meowth does.
Yeah, it's hard to make a Pokemon as flexible as Meowth with its ability of human speech, walking in 2 legs, compact body, riding heavy machineries and crazy villainous facial expressions that not even Wobbuffet comes close.

Leonhart

Imagineer
shoz999 said:
A talking Clefairy with a manly voice, like the one from the Pocket Monsters manga, would've worked well in Meowth's role.

That actually sounds really appealing. The contrast between Pippi's cute and harmless design and a deep manly voice would've been hilarious now that I picture it.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
No other Gen 1 Pokémon could ever be used in place of Meowth. The first reason is the obvious cat vs mouse dynamic of the trio trying to get Pikachu. You need a cat Pokémon to attempt to capture the mouse Pokémon. Cats and mice are natural enemies and if you replaced Meowth with something like a Mankey, it doesn’t work as well. The second reason Meowth can’t be replaced is simply because of his rivalry with Giovanni’s Persian. Meowth wants to be Giovanni’s favorite Pokémon and personal pet and get pampered. He has a reason to dislike his evolution much like how Pikachu has an intense rivalry with almost every Raichu it meets. The whole Meowth trying to catch Pikachu is reminiscent of Tom and Jerry cartoons except Pikachu can inflict serious harm to Meowth by using its own natural abilities instead of household items. If it was any other Gen then the only Pokémon that could be as crafty as Meowth would be Purrloin and Glameow. Espurr just seems to be too docile given it will just stand there and stare at you, Litten is out because it’s a Starter Pokemon, Litleo is a Lion cub and is shown to be mostly playful, and Skitty is too friendly and easily distracted to pose as an actual threat.

Leonhart

Imagineer
SerenaRulez said:
Jigglypuff being the Team Rocket talking Pokemon instead of Meowth could have worked if done right. Or Psyduck if Misty hadn't gotten it. :)

It's hard to imagine Koduck being with the Rocket-dan since it's such a silly species, although now that I think of it, Kamonegi might've made a good mascot for them.

jaden767

Amphetamine
Drowzee because I remember how Cassidy and Butch used one effectively in the Orange Islands and I can see it being a good Meowth substitute.

Leonhart

Imagineer
jaden767 said:
Drowzee because I remember how Cassidy and Butch used one effectively in the Orange Islands and I can see it being a good Meowth substitute.

It's such a repugnant species though, so I don't think it would've been as well received as Nyasu, who at least has a cuteness factor to him that made him popular from the get-go.

Oshakpop

Eeveelution Master
Purrloin would have been an interesting take on a female mascot and would of fit with the "reboot" of Gen V.. I could of seen it being quite amusing and interesting (I almost imagine it as like Yzma as a cat in Emperors New Groove!)

Ubermuk

Sticky & Sweet
Purrloin would have been an interesting take on a female mascot and would of fit with the "reboot" of Gen V.. I could of seen it being quite amusing and interesting (I almost imagine it as like Yzma as a cat in Emperors New Groove!)

Purrloin as a Meowth replacement would have been cool in fact I wish Meowth had joined Ash's group permanently when he was traveling with them to Nimbasa and that Jessie & James had befriended a Purrloin as Meowth's placement.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Choroneko being the Gen V equivalent of Nyasu would've made it an interesting choice as a villainous mascot for the Plasma-dan or some anime exclusive group of villains in BW, and at least it would've been neat to see Dent's reaction to something like that given his phobia. But I don't think Nyasu would've been replaced by one even in BW.

Red and Blue

Purrloin as a Meowth replacement would have been cool in fact I wish Meowth had joined Ash's group permanently when he was traveling with them to Nimbasa and that Jessie & James had befriended a Purrloin as Meowth's placement.
If Meowth joined Ash permanently I wonder what would have happened to him after BW? Would it stay in Unova, Pallet Town, or continue with Ash on his journey

Leonhart

Imagineer
Ignition said:
Meowth joining Ash is one of those fanfic plots that I can't take seriously lol

It was a pretty bad subplot from my viewpoint, because everyone with common sense knew that Nyasu would end up back with Musashi and Kojirou one way or another, so it was hard to ignore that glaring flaw. Had Nyasu really left the Rocket-dan back then though, it would've been one of the most dramatic changes to the status quo at the time.

Last edited: