• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

If Legendaries are uncatchable, will the game still be popular?

sizida

CoconutIsTheAnswer
Yup as the title stated. If legendaries are uncatchable, they remain elusive. You know like other RPGs, if you wish to battle those pokemon, be prepared to face their outrages stats. And that is what being legendary truly is, powerful and hard to beat.

What do you guys think if the legendaries are uncatchable but has these awesome stats that you are willing to test your wits against them? Of course whether by doing so, will the game still be popular?

Porygandrew

I would be fine if the legendaries on first-encounter act like the ghost marowak of 1st gen: You fight it but can't catch it. Upon defeat, it leaves for elsewhere. Post E4 you're able to travel to the area where it leaves to to catch it then.

Simipour

<('.'<) (>'.')>
Even if they buff the legendaries they will still be easy to beat. They go down accidentally when trying to catch them, I don't think they will pose much of a threat. The Elite Four and Gym Leaders are more comparable to bosses in other RPG's.

And yes. As this is a relatively minor change the games will still be popular.

Osada

Pokemon lover
I think the popularity of this game will be decrease if legendary aren't catchable. because one of the main idea is to complete the pokedex (and that's the in-game ultimate goal). the game made it so hard to catch and requires some condition just to have a shot to catch it, so I think the bosses (compare to other RPG) in pokemon is catch (not beat) the legendary.

yes legendary are strong and banned to competitive battle, but there are some people that really get into the trainer in the game, so they want to catch and battle with the legendary, so they can feel like they are truly the ruller of pokemon world (in their own game of course), and trully complete the game for those that want to catch 'em all. besides some people can have a legendary battle just for fun.

pokemon are unique and awesome game, you can choose to become collector of the pokemon, battler, or become both. for me that's what it really call role-playing-game. not like the other RPG that allready have a plot that we must follow. that's what make pokemon different with any other game.

so let's keep the pokemon trainer around the world option wide open, and we can continue to enjoy pokemon in any way we want.

cantab

One of the distinctive features of Pokemon, as opposed to most RPGs, is that your opponents are broadly speaking the same in their capabilities as you are (at least if you're at similar levels). It's not like the myriad RPGs that suffer Health Damage Asymmetry, and Pokemon's better for that.

And I agree with Osada, catching most Legendary Pokemon can be fairly compared to the boss fights in many other games. You may have to withstand a fair number of hits yourself, and it really helps to have the right strategy. (Of course, there's the Master Ball, but then a few other RPGs have ways to insta-kill bosses.)

Primal Crusader V

Watch some MANime
A bit of an exaggeration to call them "uncatchable", because if that were to happen, the popularity would decrease respectively. Most players decide which games they want by their mascot, which they know they will eventually catch that legendary with a Master Ball.

If anything else, I want Legendaries capture rate to go down about a 2.5. Something harder to obtain. And I also want Legendaries to actually go by their name; they can't faint as easily against other pokemon.

But then you wouldn't be able to catch em' all... :'(

A MAIN SELLING FEATURE OF THE GAME.

Actually in all seriousness I don't think it'll bother me too much in terms of battling, I never really use legendaries unless I like them an awful lot and well... they make the game a lot easier than needed so they get left in my box.
However I do like the fact that I can catch them and gives me something to work towards, sometimes the battles can be long and infuriating, making the final capture of said legendary a much happier experience.

It would annoy me on every level that I could not get the dex entry for it and forever have that gap. I am a collector and completionist so I would want to get every single thing possible in the game and denying me the capture? NO. Even if it does rot in my box forever and ever and ever...

Osada put it perfectly, the game needs to be kept open and a true role-playing experience. We already have the option to catch them, it would be like taking the picknmix out of a cinema. I'll not always go for it when choosing my noms for the movie but it's always there if I want to try something different. If it goes the cinema experience will not be the same.

Not_A_Cyberbully

Claimed Gabite
Even if they buff the legendaries they will still be easy to beat. They go down accidentally when trying to catch them, I don't think they will pose much of a threat. The Elite Four and Gym Leaders are more comparable to bosses in other RPG's.

And yes. As this is a relatively minor change the games will still be popular.

I want this!

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
1/9th odds while the legendary in question is asleep and at 1 HP is too easy (not including critical capture)?

deoxysdude94

Meme Historian
No. Pokemon is directed towards a younger audience, and the younger audience LOVES legendaries. If you couldn't catch it, it wouldn't be as fun towards that audience. Personally, I wouldn't care.