• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

If Pokemon could have another type, what would it be?

Aviano

I dropped my balls
Ashamed? Ashamed?!

Did it ever occur to you that it was accidental that the type was overpowered back then? they didn't really know the game was going to be that popular.

I don't appriciate the "holier then thou" attitude at all, so I ask you to get off your high horse.

Right right, so wait, if they didn't care about balance back then, (which is EXACTLY what I said) and you know that, what's your problem?

MasterLucario

No life till leather
I am making my own region, and am planning on not only adding an extra type to existing pokemon, but also having the ability to have a third type for existing pokemon. What would the extra types be for existing pokemon?

For example, Charizard and Gyrados should be dragon types, so:

;006;
Fire/Flying/Dragon

;130;
Water/Flying/Dragon

READ the Rules
1 All SPPF Rules Apply
3 No Multi-posting
4 No Spamming
5 No Bashing
6 No Flaming
Man, you tookk my two... But other, Darkrai should be ghost too. if hes a shadow, shouldnt he?

PDL

disenchanted
Right right, so wait, if they didn't care about balance back then, (which is EXACTLY what I said) and you know that, what's your problem?

Well, they sorta cared about balance of their monsters and didn't want Gyarados to be gamebreakingly powerful (that sort of power is reserved for legendaries)

Still, it doesn't give you the right to be a self-rightous asshat.

Aviano

I dropped my balls
Well, they sorta cared about balance of their monsters and didn't want Gyarados to be gamebreakingly powerful (that sort of power is reserved for legendaries)

Still, it doesn't give you the right to be a self-rightous asshat.

Highly debateable, but I'll leave it at this.

Also, people can be mean on the internet, deal with it.

Vycksta

digitel_anime_fan said:
Vycksta - Not that I disagree with most of your argument (That Gyarados is based off of a myth about a flying serpent, and thereby not a dragon), but you said one thing that bugged me:

If Dragon's must have legs, then Dratini/Dragonair can't possibly be dragons. And yet they are two of the very few pure dragon types.

Like I said, not disagreeing with the fact that Gyarados isn't a dragon...just that little bit.
Re-read my big post again... cause i'm pretty sure I said that "to China and Japan serpents in mythological legends may have varied in appearance but were always legless." See those three bolded words? China? Japan? Mythologicial? Yeah, that applies to GYARADOS. Are Dratini and Dragonair based on Chinese or Japanese mythology? No.

Fin.

Last edited:

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Loves Jolteon
@ Shiny Legendary Hunter: Only if you want Japanese mythological fanatics kicking your arse, taking your name and coming back for a rematch. They don't like their little legends fucked around.

Sorry, but your idea fails. Not only on wanting to change Gyarados but on wanting to add three types. Game Freak didn't do it for a reason.

Oh man, you owe me a new computer screen as it's covered in water.

Serpents and NOT dragons and NEVER will be. Gyarados is a SERPENT, based off the mytholocial legend of the carp becoming a flying serpent as a reward for finding it's inner strength.

... and before you whinge, it chooses to stay and live underwater because becoming a flying serpent made it power-hungry so travelling around underwater made it easier for it to go undetected. Gyarados also doesn't learn flying moves because of said reason. Aerial Ace? Based off a Japanese sword fighting techinque.

So no, I won't shut up about Gyarados because i'm a mythology freak and damn proud of it... unless you stop being a ****, which isn't going to happen from your side. :)
okay, so you know a lot about the mythology behind it, but apparently noyhing about the nomenclature. You'd be hard pressed to try mounting a successful argument that sea serpent and dragon aren't interchangable words. Especially considering that the very deffinition of the word sea serpent states that the classification includes any large, sea dwelling dragon like creature.

If it looks like a dragon, and sounds like a dragon, odds are, it's a dragon.

Big bang theology

Yur notsoaverage az
Re-read my big post again... cause i'm pretty sure I said that "to China and Japan serpents in mythological legends may have varied in appearance but were always legless." See those three bolded words? China? Japan? Mythologicial? Yeah, that applies to GYARADOS. Are Dratini and Dragonair based on Chinese or Japanese mythology? No.

Fin.

Actually, I think it is based on chinese/japanese myth. From what I remember baby dragons where said to live in water (at this point seahorses where thought to be baby dragons). Dratini and dragonair are found in the lake of the safari zone no? Also, from what I remember when they become adults they become flying dragons and from what I remember they're supposed to represent the weather. Dragonite is able to learn all four weather changing attacks. And it naturally learns aqua tail, which comes from its aquatic origins.

Dragonite may be more of a european wyrm in appearance, but I have no doubt that its based on chinese and japanese myth.

Strants

Ninetales - Fire/Dark
Personally, I'd prefer psychic, if anything. Be honest, is your opinion largely based off Naruto?

~-Overheat-~

Black/White!
Three types can be frustrating

imagine a Rock/Steel/Ground Steelix or Aggron

Or how about a Dragon/Ground/Flying Flygon? Ice Beam does 8 times the damage

Nidogod

Also, making a Pokemon game breaks Copyright and Tradmark laws IIRC.

As long as he makes it for personal use and doesn't charge money for it I think it's ok. I remember I used to play ROM hacks that people made and I don't remember them getting any backlash.

First off, why is salamence dragon type? Its name is a combination of salamander+menace. A salamander=X=dragon. Salamanders are amphibians, and if anything it should be water type, so why dragon?

Actually Salamander was a common word used to refer to Dragons in (I think??) the Middle Ages. Salamander and Dragon were synonymous like Snake and Serpent.

Salamanders are reptiles and so are dragons.

0_0 Did you take 2nd grade science yet?

Also TC, since the 3rd type idea didn't work you could still try editing existing ones. Like Charizard for example. Instead of Fire/Flying/Dragon you could try Fire/Dragon with the levitate ability. I also like the idea of making the Bulbasaur line pure grass.

Last edited: