• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

If the dub change didn't happen, do you think the show would have had higher ratings?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Meaning the voice actors couldn't dub Pokemon even if TPCi allowed them?

No one knows, actually. It could be more likely now that 4Kids is gone, actually. O_O
Many of the additional VAs were allowed to return, and some of the main cast have been (though not in the roles they should be in).
But many still have not for unknown reasons, most likely TPCi is not letting them return atm.

If I may, I'd like to mention that the voice acting is a combination of dialogue writers and actors, therefore 2 parties are to blame. I'd also like to point out that none of us have enough information to point out what the biggest factor is in the present time.

Very true. There's now complaints about the writing, the scripts/dialogue, the voice acting, Ash's regression...many things people are very upset with, actually. The VA problem seems to be at the helm followed by the writing, apparently.

I'd like to see Kathy Borland return, personally, to writing the scripts. So many hilarious lines...

David Rolfe was AWESOME too at the intros...you just don't see those amazing intros anymore. At least they're all better than:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCwElnV-ayY&noredirect=1

Really speaks for itself...

Last edited:

Vernikova

Champion
In OS ratings went between 7.5 and 16.7, in AG they were between 4.5 and 10.8, DP had between 4.1 and 8.3 while BW is in range between 2.2 and 7.5.

It can be noticed how each of unpopular directions writers took this show in reflected negativečly on ratings, with numbers showing clear decrease during mid of Johto series, during 2002 when AG was starting, during 2005/2006 when dub VAs got changed etc. Coincidence much?

"Unpopular" to whom? What people like you fail to realize is that "unpopular" without any evidence as to what is popular in the first place doesn't help your argument. Misty leaving? Sure, I can see that. May leaving? yeah, okay. Dawn leaving? Why not? All were key characters in the story. The switch between voice actors during the tail-end of a series? Provide evidence for that. Also, are you going to differentiate Kanto, OI, and Johto? Or what?

Evidence are ratings themselves, im sure it wouldn't be too much of problem to compare ratings during whole AG series prior to VA change and afterwards during Battle Frontier.

Ratings themselves don't tell why the they fall or rise. Also, let's point this out now, the change happened in 2006. Six years ago. Close to seven. There are kids who probably have never heard of the 4Kids voice actors. Are you people forgetting about them? Kids who are eleven now would've been five back then. I doubt they're carrying a grudge over the fact that Ash, Jessie, James, and Meowth have different voices than they did back then at the age of five. Unless their big brothers and sisters are stopping them from doing it.

If change of voice actors didn't had any negative effect there wouldn't be so much backlash and complaining among fans at that time. Its isolated incidence if handful of people express disappointment, but when you see almost everyone sharing same consensus about subject in question serves as pretty good proof how in general this wasn't accepted well by audience at all.

Read the last block of text I wrote.

Explained above.

Above.

No i perfectly understood your message, but i don't agree with sentiment how appealing only to one group of people is best way to go.

That's how it works in reality. Sorry. It sucks for us but oh well. The rest of the post dealt more with writing and stuff which is of no importance here. :S

I'd also like to point out that none of us have enough information

Exactly. Anyone who is trying to say the voice actors had any effect has no evidence to support this besides ratings that have dwindled down since the beginning of the series.

"Unpopular" to whom? What people like you fail to realize is that "unpopular" without any evidence as to what is popular in the first place doesn't help your argument. Misty leaving? Sure, I can see that. May leaving? yeah, okay. Dawn leaving? Why not? All were key characters in the story. The switch between voice actors during the tail-end of a series? Provide evidence for that. Also, are you going to differentiate Kanto, OI, and Johto? Or what?

Ratings themselves don't tell why the they fall or rise. Also, let's point this out now, the change happened in 2006. Six years ago. Close to seven. There are kids who probably have never heard of the 4Kids voice actors. Are you people forgetting about them? Kids who are eleven now would've been five back then. I doubt they're carrying a grudge over the fact that Ash, Jessie, James, and Meowth have different voices than they did back then at the age of five. Unless their big brothers and sisters are stopping them from doing it.

Read the last block of text I wrote.

Above.

That's how it works in reality. Sorry. It sucks for us but oh well. The rest of the post dealt more with writing and stuff which is of no importance here. :S

Exactly. Anyone who is trying to say the voice actors had any effect has no evidence to support this besides ratings that have dwindled down since the beginning of the series.

True on most accounts, but it's not like it was or is the right move for TPCi to take/have taken. That's for sure.

Bluelatios*

And what of the reverse? There is no proof that any of these factors don't adversely affect the ratings. Therefore we have reached a stalemate in which personal opinions are not sufficient enough. Opinions are subjective therefore I prefer to utilize logical reasoning and experience to form a theory.

Vernikova

Champion
And what of the reverse? There is no proof that any of these factors don't adversely affect the ratings. Therefore we have reached a stalemate in which personal opinions are not sufficient enough. Opinions are subjective therefore I prefer to utilize logical reasoning and experience to form a theory.

That the ratings have dwindled since the beginning before the voice actor change and after it. Occam's razor has my side on this unless anyone can bring in sufficient proof.

Eievui-Nymphia

XY, gen of dreams.
@pokemon fan, the riatings that you say ia about the Japanese version.

Now, something off-topic, but I explained something about the dub. Because to consider the dub you make to thing about separating the dubs. Existed 4 types of version about dubbing in pokemon. Those are:

1) The Japanse version, the raw. Where the writers, staff, animation, storyboard, etc. are made. The Japanese version only can be showed in Japan (legally).

2) The English DUB (from USA). The English DUB isn't a normal dubbing. The dub isn't only for the USA and Canada. The dub is for almost all the world except Japan and other exceptions that I made later. The English dub is the dub of reference for the rest of the dubs and is broadcasted apart of the US, in Canada, Australia, New Zealand, UK, Ireland, and many others. This dub chamge opening, made music edits, can edit dialopgue with "relative" liberty, can change some position about the episodes (DP191) and made edits if it's necessary (or unnecessary like 4Kids did then). And all of this is for the DUB and all of the dubs that came from him. The English dub are the only dub allowed to dub from the Japanse version except the dubs in 4.

3) The dubs that came from the English version. The languages that dubs the TPCi version from USA, are the English version of other countries (UK, Ireland, Australia, Canada, NZ; in those cases the series sin't dubbed), Spanish (both Spain and Latin American), French, German, Italian, Portuguese (both Portugal and Brazil), Dutch, Polish, Greek, etc. This versiones are dubbed from the English dub of the anime. in those countries, the showing of the Japanese version are illegal, and if it's available a "raw" version in your TV, you hear the English version.

4) The exceptions. Dubs that is dubbed from the Japanese version. Those dubs are the Korean (South) and the various Chinese dubs. This dubs are dubbed from the Japanese version directly like a standrard dub. They maintain the original music, opening (Korean changes with his owns opening, China don't dub theirs), previews?, Ookido Live-Caster?, etc.

The cause of this is because before the Pokemon anime started to air, 4Kids has gotten all rights of the series out of Japan except some Asian countries (basically if are near Japan). And when the contracts ended, PUSA gotten the rights of pokemon in the same territory.

Mystery resolved.

pokemon fan 132

I believe people in this thread provided already more than enough evidence how older voice actors were at that time popular and widely accepted among audience growing used to them. If older voice actors weren't popular there wouldn't be lifted so much dust after dub change in first place. If i recall right even in interview with ex director mr. Hidaka when he heard about voice change was rather concerned viewing it as bad thing.

Amount of complaining, criticism and backlash change caused back in day only further proves how this wasn't accepted well among fandom. If your looking for evidence, im sure you will get full picture in things by reading archives threads at that time, older petitions etc.

It drop in ratings which happened at that time and backlash in fandom isn't good enough as proof to support assertion how change of VA's contributed to drop if ratings looking for perceivable, rigid evidence than im afraid you cannot provide such type of evidence from your side either bringing us in stalemate position creating fallacy "Argument from silence".

Also comparing ratings between Kanto, OI and Johto is irrelevant to discussion because we are discussing if dub voice changing caused drop in ratings, which happened in middle of AG series. But if you insist there wasn't any notable decline in ratings until 2001/2002.

Maybe so, but they are reflection of how viewers feel about current show with increase or decrease serving as indication if certain change was accepted well or not.

When you see ratings experiencing sudden, rather than gradual drop during certain period of TV show more likely than not is direct causation from some of decisions which happened at that time.
Let say kids who were in target audience in AG started watching show at end of Johto, start of AG. By time dub voicing changed they would already follow anime with older VA's for good 3 to 4 years.
Its not farfetched to presume how some of them wouldn't respond positively to sudden change of character voices being already used to original VA's turning them away from anime starting to lose interest. Judging by frequency of statements you could encounter afterwards with many people repeating same thing "i quit after dub change only further adds to that".

Vernikova

Champion
I believe people in this thread provided already more than enough evidence how older voice actors were at that time popular and widely accepted among audience growing used to them. If older voice actors weren't popular there wouldn't be lifted so much dust after dub change in first place. If i recall right even in interview with ex director mr. Hidaka when he heard about voice change was rather concerned viewing it as bad thing.

Amount of complaining, criticism and backlash change caused back in day only further proves how this wasn't accepted well among fandom. If your looking for evidence, im sure you will get full picture in things by reading archives threads at that time, older petitions etc.

Yawn, well accepted in the fandom. Last I checked, it's a small sect of people. They either still care, stopped watching, or continue to watch. Notice how those petitions have stopped for the most part? It's because no one cares. It's a fringe group. The older fans have gotten over it for the most part. The younger fans don't seem to care much. Also, unpopular with the internet kids doesn't mean unpopular in general. Unless you're willing to fool yourself about that. Listen, I know you win your arguments by boring people to death with irrelevant evidence and regurgitated statements but I'll go through with it this time to educate you.

It drop in ratings which happened at that time and backlash in fandom isn't good enough as proof to support assertion how change of VA's contributed to drop if ratings looking for perceivable, rigid evidence than im afraid you cannot provide such type of evidence from your side either bringing us in stalemate position creating fallacy "Argument from silence".

A drop in ratings from what? You're misusing evidence for your own argument. The ratings have and always had fallen since the beginning. You're "backlash in fandom" is a backlash from people who were outside of the target demographic and had no effect on the ratings. In fact, when Pokemon moved to Cartoon Network, it actually helped the block increase in ratings. It was actually doing pretty damn well for itself. Notice how one of the posters mention, and I quote: "4.5-5.0 would be great, but a huge reach at this point in Pokémon's life. I think CN will be happy if it can at least match Ben 10 and average a 3.0. That's a reasonable asking point, given at the start of last season, Pokémon averaged a 3.5. That's even though it'll finish it's run on Kids' WB having averaged only half that since about April."

It's ratings were decreasing even before the change. Can you believe that? Decreasing before the change. So any decrease that you point had already been happening before then. Notice the 3's? Look at April ratings for Pokemon before the switch:

March 25 - WB (Kids' WB!) 1.8/8 Avg. (8a-12N)
Pillow Head1 0.7/6; Pillow Head2 1.7/9; Viewtiful Joe 1.8/8; The Batman 2.0/8; Xiaolin Showdown 2.1/8; Loonatics 1.9/7; Pokemon 2.1/9; Pokemon 2.3/10; JammX Kids (1hr) 0.9/4
[10:30 am Pokemon was #1 (tied) in the demo against broadcast.]

April 1 - WB (Kids' WB!) 1.6/7 Avg. (8a-12N)
Pillow Head1 0.6/4; Pillow Head2 1.3/7; Viewtiful Joe 1.5/7; The Batman 1.5/7; Xiaolin Showdown 2.0/9; Xiaolin Showdown 2.2/9; Pokemon 1.9/8; Pokemon 2.0/9; Johnny Test 1.6/7; Yu-Gi-Oh! 1.4/7
[9:30 am Xiaolin Showdown was #1 (tied) in the demo against broadcast.]

April 8 - WB (Kids' WB!) 1.8/8 Avg. (8a-12N)
Pillow Head1 0.9/9; Pillow Head2 1.4/10; Viewtiful Joe 2.1/10; The Batman 1.9/8; Xiaolin Showdown 2.5/10; Xiaolin Showdown 1.9/8; Pokemon 1.9/8; Pokemon 2.0/8; Johnny Test 1.7/7; Yu-Gi-Oh! 1.5/7
[9:00 am Xiaolin Showdown was #1 in the demo among broadcast.]

April 15 - WB (Kids' WB!) 1.5/8Avg. (8a-12N)
Pillow Head1 0.4/4; Pillow Head2 0.6/5; Viewtiful Joe 1.1/6; The Batman 1.1/5; Xiaolin Showdown 1.4/6; Xiaolin Showdown 1.7/8; Pokemon 2.0/10; Pokemon 2.4/11; Johnny Test 1.9/10; Yu-Gi-Oh! 2.0/11
[10:30 am Pokemon was #1 in the demo among broadcast.]

I think the general rule of thumb is add 1.0 to broadcast networks in comparison to cable or something? Looks around the same to me if we do. Looks like an increase if we don't.

Also comparing ratings between Kanto, OI and Johto is irrelevant to discussion because we are discussing if dub voice changing caused drop in ratings, which happened in middle of AG series. But if you insist there wasn't any notable decline in ratings until 2001/2002.

Then why point out Best Wishes?

Maybe so, but they are reflection of how viewers feel about current show with increase or decrease serving as indication if certain change was accepted well or not.

And what they feel about a show doesn't point out what they specifically don't like.

When you see ratings experiencing sudden, rather than gradual drop during certain period of TV show more likely than not is direct causation from some of decisions which happened at that time.

They were decreasing beforehand.

Let say kids who were in target audience in AG started watching show at end of Johto, start of AG. By time dub voicing changed they would already follow anime with older VA's for good 3 to 4 years.
Its not farfetched to presume how some of them wouldn't respond positively to sudden change of character voices being already used to original VA's turning them away from anime starting to lose interest. Judging by frequency of statements you could encounter afterwards with many people repeating same thing "i quit after dub change only further adds to that".
We're done. No need to continue. Do notice how you're the only one still arguing the point though. Everyone has agreed that there are no facts to back up the assertion that the VA change did anything.

A small sect of people? haha.
Well, keep telling yourself that. So many fans still complain about the VA switch: it's just only a few like myself actually express that pain directly. I personally just hope another cast takes over at this point. I tried so hard to get used to these guys, believe me, seven years: I just can't do it no matter how much I try to accept these guys as the English VAs. I know they aren't who they claim to be. The disparity here between both casts is utterly ridiculous and fairly obvious: you can watch a Hoenn dub episode (where people say 4Kids was at their low point), compare it to a Unova one (where people say TPCi is at their high point), and it's utterly shocking how poorly dubbed the latter episode by TPCi truly is. One of the few English dubs I actually truly despise. That takes a lot, actually, for me to hate a dub. I don't even mind the 4Kids OP dub compared to this- I'm not even kidding. Butchering and all.

To treat people like this, and ignore fans like this, I just don't want to watch something that does that anymore. TPCi just doesn't give 2 craps for the many fans it alienated and, more importantly, people like Mrs. Taylor and her main group who truly deserve another chance. I just hope and pray from the bottom of my heart we're not stuck with these VAs for the duration of the anime for the main characters in the English dub (I can't stand them- they're all so inferior to the former VAs). I honestly think these are some of the worst English dub VAs ever (Natochenny, Rogers, Knotz, K. Rogers, and Zoppi). We couldn't have gotten more abysmal replacements...their possibly best VA, Emlyn Morinelli, comes from Singapore English dubs. Yeah, I kid you not.

Someone please do another recasting, I don't care who, just get rid of these 5 playing main characters. They can play COTDs and the like, just not the main characters...-_-

Anyway, let's pose a question here, shall we:

Where did they get these VAs from? Almost no credits. Period. Prior to Pokemon. "Yup, but since it's not 4Kids duhhhh, it has to be better ugggh!" Wow, exactly how stupid can people be? You do need tolerable VA work to make a decent show.

Only ones with experience are Jimmy, Kayzie, and Bill. Two of whom are hated and were considered among the worst, even in 4Kids dubs (Zoppi and K. Rogers). Bill Rogers is a tolerable VA when he gets his act together, but other times he blows it. Badly. Case in point being Brock from Seasons 10-13 and the Magikarp Salesman. I can't deny he was horrible at both roles (Brock since the DP Saga/Season 10).

Sarah had nothing animation-related prior to Pokemon. Period. A rythmic gymnist and a fashion model? Ok, she's talented, for sure. Is she a VA? No. Should she be playing a lead? Not in a million years.

Michele only won a voice acting contest at the Big Apple festival in '03 and played only 1 role in Narue prior to Pokemon...yeah not much experience. She did alright with Jessie, but most of her VA work just does not fit the character she plays.

I just gotta say, why did we get such poor replacements? Did we as fans watching for about 8 years deserve this? No! I know the original VAs may not have been godlike or anything, but compared to the current crew, they're simply amazing...and so under-appreciated and underrated people. They are not even on any mainstream TV shows other than YGO Zexal! now. Pity how mean TPCi can be. They really do "VALUE THEIR EMPLOYEES." Yeah, no you don't. You couldn't pay me to work for them. So much disrespect to the actual VAs from 4Kids...always gonna be the worst move TPCi ever made. And it's not even the new VAs lack of qualification or decent voiceover work I have a major problem with (that is one aspect, though, most definitely). It's TPCi itself and its complete ignorance and refusal to even do the right thing here. If they're going to preach this stuff, just please don't do it in the intros. They did not do what was right, or even care for that matter. I just wish if they're going to give so many fans the middle finger, they wouldn't talk about what's right or wrong. They just don't practice what they preach, and that is what's really aggravating from them. Ignorance is bliss, I guess. Just pretend like nothing happened at all...

Last edited:

Vernikova

Champion
A small sect of people? haha.
Well, keep telling yourself that. So many fans still complain about the VA switch: it's just only a few like myself actually express that pain directly.

You don't have exct numbers yet you wish to make me believe that you are huge. Okay then. u.u

You don't have exct numbers yet you wish to make me believe that you are huge. Okay then. u.u

It's not huge, obviously, but it's not small either. LOL. That's all I'm saying. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.