1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We're currently having an issue where e-mails sent to gmail accounts are not going through and are bouncing back. We're currently working to resolve this matter and apologise for any inconvenience
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

If the Pokemon series reaches a 100 years old, what do you think the series will be like?

Discussion in 'General Pokémon Discussion' started by shoz999, Dec 6, 2018.

1. shoz999

shoz999 Name's Looker, Detective Looker.

The Marvel series is 70 years old. The DCU series is almost 85 years old. Walt Disney? Almost 95 years old. So much has changed and yet ghosts of the pasts still remain. I think Pokemon has a future as long-runner that can surpass the age of 50 personally. Parents used to think it was a fad, Satoshi Tajiri, the creator of Pokemon himself thought Pokemon wasn't going to last long but once something has jumped a generation, it's no longer a fad. It's a pop cultural phenomenon and Pokemon became the top media franchise in less than 20 years. With that being said, what do you think the Pokemon series will if it reaches a 100 years old? Currently the Pokemon Franchise I believe is 22 years old, so if you don't think a 100 years is realistic, then what about 80, 60, 40 somewhere along the lines of a 100 years.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  2. Kirby Dragons

Kirby Dragons Well-Known Member

Considering we're already reaching 1000 Pokémon now, we could very well be nearing 5000 Pokémon in 78 years.

Every 10 or 20 years, there'd probably be some sort of anniversary celebration.

Ariki and shoz999 like this.
  3. Ariki

Ariki Well-Known Member

I’d like to think that by 100 years the franchise will have moved beyond Kanto-pandering. While I am not anti-Kanto, or anti-gen 1 (I have been a fan since the start of the franchise), I have noticed that for three generations straight there has been A LOT of Kanto pandering

Gen V - Black and White tried to recapture the essence of Kanto by doing a soft reset. I actually enjoyed this.

Gen 6 - X and Y - Kanto Pokemon feature heavily

Gen 7 - 20 year anniversary of the Franchise - yes it makes sense here to pander to Kanto. The first Pokemon in PoGo were Gen 1, the first VC games released were Gen 1, all four Alola-based games feature lots of call backs to Gen 1 and the first Pokemon mainseries title on the Switch is a Gen 1 remake/reimagining.

So I’m hopeful that in the future the franchise will market other generations mons more, like those featured in Sinnoh and Unova.

4. shoz999

Personally I think it's a bit wrongful to use Gen 7 as an example of a kanto-pandering generation since it heavily does a lot of call backs to all regions. If anything, I feel it'd best describe Gen 7 a Johto-pandering generation lol since most of it's "pandering" is to Johto. As for Kanto-pandering disappearing in the future. Don't know about that, so much iconic stuff is associated with Kanto, most famously Pikachu. Not to mention if were taking in the anime to account aging into a 100, there is Ash who is a huge callback to Kanto himself. Huh... I wonder if Ash will continue being an immortal 10 year old when the Pokemon series reaches 100. Will the Pokemon Anime even be the same lol with all the story experimentation they've been doing from Best Wishes, XYZ and Sun and Moon? Will the Pokemon Anime we know even exist?

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
  5. Captain Jigglypuff

Captain Jigglypuff Leader of Jigglypuff

Ash will still be 10 of course!

04n70n10, Satoshi & Touko and M.P. like this.
  6. M.P.

M.P. Ghastly Gamer

And still hasn't won a league!

04n70n10 and Satoshi & Touko like this.
  7. Ignition

Ignition Aizawa is my mood 25/8

I think the francise would have lost its charm. While I'm satisfied with the later generations (minus Let's Go), I don't get the same feel I have playing FRLG/DPP. The Pokémon are honestly the only reason I'm sticking with the series. While that sounds like a no brainer, I mean the actual world of the Pokémon. Ever since gen 5's ambitious (to say the least), I lost interest. While I like the continuous world building with past people/Pokémon/events etc having connections with newer gens, I'm not a fan of the focus on story. I want more focus on the features and Pokémon. If GF keeps this up, I'd probably be done by DPP remakes or gen 10 tbh

8. Satoshi & Touko

Satoshi & Touko Bringing you joy... and adorableness. <3

And he will be going to the next region with only Pikachu! :D

04n70n10 and M.P. like this.
  9. Kung Fu Ferret

Kung Fu Ferret The Next God

And the Team Rocket Trio will STILL want Pikachu for some reason...

04n70n10 and M.P. like this.
  10. wolf jani

wolf jani Well-Known Member

If the franchise reaches 100 years old. I think all the possible type combinations will have been used at least once. And maybe they will have introducted one or two new types too
    .Or maybe there will be pokemon that have 0 or 3 or more than 3 types.

I also think that we will have at least one region from each contiment. And starters will still be Grass/Fire/Water trio. And the professor will still be named after a tree.

And if i did my math correct, if the current cycle of getting a new gen every 3 years continues. It will be gen 33 when pokemon reaches 100 years old.

04n70n10, Ariki and shoz999 like this.
  11. Scammel

Scammel Well-Known Member

New species will be so stylistically removed from the original 151 that they will look as though they're from another franchise entirely. Marvel and DC possess the advantage of a small and strong core cast that requires only minor visual tweaks to move with the times, whereas Pokémon is already suffering badly from design creep with every new influx; think of the visual gap between Typhlosion and Incineroar, multiplied several times over.

12. shoz999

But if you think about the visual gap between Meganium and Decidueye, suddenly things seem ten times brighter! Actually come to think of it. It seems like Fire-Types seem to be the hardest to come up ideas with.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018 at 10:00 PM
  13. Scammel

Scammel Well-Known Member

The issue isn't necessarily the individual designs, but the overall coherency of the universe. Meganium is a very restrained design from a restrained generation that dovetailed well into the original 151. Decidueye, Incineroar and Primarina are all much busier, less animalistic and even obviously gendered; I also prefer Decidueye to Meganium in a vacuum but the latter feels like a piece in a larger, coherent world while the former is A.N.Other anime character.