• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

If you could change one thing about a rival?

DiaRubyTandem

The Fastest Comeback
I think girls as rivals is a great change for the show

DatsRight

They could also have one of them try to sabotage her performance like Harley tried to do several times without actually being involved directly against her

True but that could have also contributed to the factor of them winning not through legitimate skill but something going wrong with Serena's otherwise perfect performance.

Having an antagonistic rival would have made the showcases more interesting, but I don't really know if any of the existing ones worked for the role, even Jessie sort of worked well into being more pragmatic since it developed her a little more (she's at least surpassed Harley as a more professional coordinator). Maybe the shiny Dragonite girl should have been there longer, she seemed like a fitting entitled brat.

Concerning what we had, I would have had at least one extra showcase after the first where one of the rivals defeated Serena legitimately (probably Miette to make her seem more effective) and so Serena more naturally progressed from failing to good runner up to winner. It might have been a good idea to progress the other rivals' victories in other episodes like they did for the contests in DP. Like where did all their Princess Keys come from? :p

And what the hell, get rid of the gender restriction and let Tierno in on them. He could have made it fun. XD

Last edited:

Moonlight Starlight

True but that could have also contributed to the factor of them winning not through legitimate skill but something going wrong with Serena's otherwise perfect performance.

Having an antagonistic rival would have made the showcases more interesting, but I don't really know if any of the existing ones worked for the role, even Jessie sort of worked well into being more pragmatic since it developed her a little more (she's at least surpassed Harley as a more professional coordinator). Maybe the shiny Dragonite girl should have been there longer, she seemed like a fitting entitled brat.

Concerning what we had, I would have had at least one extra showcase after the first where one of the rivals defeated Serena legitimately (probably Miette to make her seem more effective) and so Serena more naturally progressed from failing to good runner up to winner. It might have been a good idea to progress the other rivals' victories in other episodes like they did for the contests in DP. Like where did all their Princess Keys come from? :p

And what the hell, get rid of the gender restriction and let Tierno in on them. He could have made it fun. XD

Hey I just got the chance to read your other comment on the other thread "What are your thoughts on Serena? and what you brought up about her rival Miette and your thinking about the other girl with the purple Dragonair Amelia that's her name.I do see these two being rival more going head to head as rivals more than not Serena with Miette.Read my other comment on top the first one what I wrote in about these two. It would put some used to it.

BlackRaven

Go Charizard!!!!
Simple

Sawyer should have been introduced way.................earlier

EvanUn0

Trip- I feel like he needed a complete overhaul, or at least more consistency. Why was he this casual racist, pulling a "Kanto people are disgusting" act when it's never even said why he has such resentment towards people from Kanto/Kanto in general? Also, I'm sorry, but the whole photography gimmick early on struck me as weird. I don't mind him being a photog, but he got borderline creepy with it. Taking people's photos without their permission, and when Cilan beat him, he takes his photo and says "I'm keeping this as a reminder that you beat me. This will haunt me for the rest of my life." Calm down, my dude!

Sawyer- Introduce him earlier in the series so that the league battle felt more impactful.

Barry- More battles with Ash, preferably one at the league. I would've loved to have seen a 3V3 with Ash using reserves.

Alain- FFFFFFF-Nono, I'm ok. Make him fall. Make him pay for his actions in some way.

Omegaz

Captain Amourica
Simple

Sawyer should have been introduced way.................earlier

He was there to promote ORAS, so he should've been unveiled around that games release, but I'm not sure if that was earlier or not.

nandermind

alan : he loses against ash . rematch ash in TFA, ash loses and captured. alan regretted and save ash in any cost. then he died for shielding ash n co from fake zyngrade's laser beam

John Trainer

John Trainer
Maybe have Drew be taller or give Tracey a rival! I always wanted a larger rival in terms of size or a smarter rival to test Ash on those skills rather than just a moody boy

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
IMHO, Serena's rivals were severely underutilized.

Shauna could have easily been Serena's friendly rival (just as Sawyer was Ash's friendly rival). Since Shauna was a more experienced Performer, she should have presented a greater threat. Serena only faced her in one Showcase, and they weren't even on stage together. The two of them should have competed against each other more often.

Miette was presented as more of a traditional rival during the PokéPuff baking contest, but as soon as she and Serena encountered each other in Showcases, that traditional rival vibe was dropped in favor of her just being there to push Serena's buttons when it came to her crush on Ash. The result was that Miette was more annoying, IMHO, than anything else. Even the crush rivalry angle was underutilized. I couldn't tell if Miette had genuine feelings for Ash or if she was just trying to piss off Serena (and the audience).

Nini... I don't even know what her purpose was, unless she was there so the writers could make fun of Gothic Lolita fashion.

Sprinter1988

Gary - Have him actually appear during the series, battling Ash several times, fully establishing his team as being threatening, and giving pokemon like his Alakazam, Fearow and Pinsir some screen time, seeing his Scizor, Electivire and Kingdra as Scyther, Electabuzz and Seadra, and maybe adding a few in-game pokemon like Machamp, Exeggutor, Rhydon, Tyranitar... Oh, and have him be the one to knock Ash out of the Kanto league to add tension to the Johto battle.

Ritchie - Make it so that he isn't just a straight up copy of Ash, have him be revealed as the trainer who chose Charmander on the day Ash caught Pikachu, change up his team a bit to include Beedrill instead of Butterfree and add in Popliwrath, Persian, Hitmonlee and others.

Paul - Bring him back!

Barry - Give him a full, 6-on-6 battle with Ash - doesn't have to be at the league, just something to bring their rivalry full circle.

Trip - Don't have him.

Bianca - Give her a couple more pokemon on her team, such as Musharna (its pretty much the signature pokemon of her in-game character) and maybe Mienfoo and Lilligant

Cameron - Same as Trip

Stephan - Give a Golduck. I always thought Golduck would suit him.

Sawyer - Introduce him a little sooner

Trevor - Make him actually relevant somehow

Tierno - See more from him and his pokemon - especially Hitmontop and Politoed who were just there for a cameo

Alain - Maybe change Weavile for something else. Anything else just to reduce the number of pokemon on his team who are 4x weak to fighting. Maybe give him Swampert or Chesnaught as neither of them got any real love in the anime.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Replace Paul from Silver in Pokemon....and if not that, make his jerkish nature more justified and have him called out more often

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
Yeah, Paul>>>>>Silver any day. Paul actually has depth and character development...

I dunno about Paul having much depth. He started out as a trainer who was rude to his opponents and valued strength and even by Dp's end he had only changed a little. Or maybe it just seemed that way to me since he always seemed so hard for me to figure out. ^^;

Caseydia

Ace Trainer
Trip- I feel like he needed a complete overhaul, or at least more consistency. Why was he this casual racist, pulling a "Kanto people are disgusting" act when it's never even said why he has such resentment towards people from Kanto/Kanto in general? Also, I'm sorry, but the whole photography gimmick early on struck me as weird. I don't mind him being a photog, but he got borderline creepy with it. Taking people's photos without their permission, and when Cilan beat him, he takes his photo and says "I'm keeping this as a reminder that you beat me. This will haunt me for the rest of my life." Calm down, my dude!

This. People were just pissed that Ash was behaving immature and his Pikachu was injured from Zekrom. If only Trip wasn't a beginner and had a different pokemon.

Alain- FFFFFFF-Nono, I'm ok. Make him fall. Make him pay for his actions in some way.

How about we just keep him as the protagonist in his own spin off and don't bring him over to XY as a league rival?

Serena's rivals- They all need to be redone.

Gary- Do more with him in Johto than what we got.

Zoey- Make Zoey less friendly to Dawn then she was.

Kenny- Drop him altogether as a rival and make him just into a recurring character.

Ursula- Introduce her earlier.

Biance- Make her less obnoxious and more like her game counter part.

Kenyan- Make him more involved.

Miette- Drop her stupid teasing Serena about Ash for no reason at all.

Sawyer- Ugh! Just a different character altogether would have been fine.

mystic9899

Pokemon fan
i just wish sawyer and alain were introduced a bit earlier in the series. and have serena's rivals present a bit more of a challenge.

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
i just wish sawyer and alain were introduced a bit earlier in the series. and have serena's rivals present a bit more of a challenge.

This. I didn't mind Sawyer; I liked having a rival who, for once, started out the underdog to Ash, only to catch up to him and actually present a legitimate challenge. However, Sawyer was introduced so late - and he was such a rookie when he was introduced - that it felt like he caught up to Ash too quickly.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Gary would probably get more involved with Ash. Of all his rivals, they have the most personal relationship. They should've also factored in Ash's relationship to Professor Oak with that rivalry, since it'd give them more of a reason to compete