• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

If You Could Give the Lacking Final Staged Starters a Secondary Type

Rune Knight

What I mean is what if you could assign a secondary type to the currently existed final staged starters or any pokemon for that matter that don't have one. Or maybe even replace a few to make better sense from a subjective stance.

Here is my personal take:

I would keep Venusaur as it is.

I would change Charizard into a Fire/Dragon type because of its appearance. Mega Charizard Y would also become a Fire/Dragon, only with different stats to Mega Charizard X.

I would make Blastoise into a Water/Rock type to allude to its hard shell.

I would make Meganium into a Grass/Psychic type to allude to its use of photosynthesis and nods to light. The pink colored flower surrounded its neck would also fit the color scheme of the Psychic type.

I would make Typhlosion into Fire/Ground type because it is based off of an Echidna which are known to dig into to dirt to hide from predators.

I would make Feraligatr into a Water/Dark type due to its sort of menacing look.

I would make Sceptile into a Grass/Dragon type because of its mega-evolution and reptile-like physiology.

I would change Blaziken into a Fire/Flying type. I know this sounds may sound controversial, but my reasoning is to create more diversity among the finale staged fire starters since three of them are Fire/Fighting. Blaziken could still learn Fighting moves, but being based on a chicken would also be granted the ability to fly.

I would keep Swampert as it is.

I would keep Torterra as it is.

I would keep Infernape as it is.

I would change Empoleon into a Water/Ice type because it's based off a Penguin.

I would make Serperior into a Grass/Electric type to fit with its Green/Yellow color scheme. Also because Serperior has a high speed stat which could in turn generate electricity. I'd give it the capability to learn more electric type moves as well.

I would change Emboar into a Fire/Rock type mostly because of its bulky appearance, plus it can learn a few rock moves naturally.

I would make Samurott into a Water/Steel type as a nod to its armor and samurai aspects.

I would keep Chesnaught as it is.

I would keep Delphox as it is.

I would change Greninja into a Water/Ghost type because of its stealthy ninja capabilities. (I have nothing against the Water/Dark typing, rather I just needed something to divert from what I assigned to Feraligatr).

I would keep Decidueye as it is. For now.... I say this in the event that a new final staged Grass Starter comes along who could better fit the Grass/Ghost type. In that case, I would revert Decidueye into a Grass/Flying.

I would keep Incineroar as it is.

I would keep Primarina as it is.

I would make Rillaboom into a Grass/Dark type.

I would make Cinderace into a Fire/Electric type to fit its color scheme and a nod to its energy.

I would make Intelleon into a Water/Psychic type for the intelligence factor.

Since it's all but confirmed that the fire starters are based off the Chinese Zodiac, I thought'd it be fun to speculate what kind of types they might have.

I would make the Goat into a Fire/Fairy type. (Based off a Centaur which is a mythological like creature).

I would make the Snake into a Fire/Poison type. (Based off a poisonous snake.)

I would make the Ox into a Fire/Steel type. (Based off the Minotaur who carries a metal axe.)

I would make the Horse into a Fire/Ghost type. (Based off a dark/ghost like steed, maybe a nod to the Headless Horseman.

Of course we might even get new types to work with within the next four generations but that's just my take with what we have now.

That way, everyone has their own unique typings. Of course you don't have to go with the same route that I did and feel free to have more than one of the same types.

Remember, you could also talk about any other pokemon outside of the starter lines.

Last edited:

RedJirachi

Veteran member
  • Gen I: Blastoise(Water/Steel)
  • Gen II: Meganium(Grass/Fairy), Typhlosion(Fire/Ground), Feraligatr(Water/Fighting)
  • Gen III: Sceptile(Grass/Dragon)
  • Gen V: Serperior(Grass/Dragon), Samurott(Water/Fighting)
  • Gen VIII: Rillaboom(Grass/Fighting), Cinderace(Fire/Fighting), Intelleon(Water/Fighting)

TwilightBlade

Here are my ideas:

• Blastoise should've been Water/Rock
  • Either Typhlosion or Feraligatr should've been half Dark
  • Sceptile should've been Grass/Dragon
  • Empoleon should've been either Water/Flying or Water/Ice
  • Serperior should've been Grass/Dragon

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Blastoise: Water/Steel: cannons

Meganium: Grass/Fairy: known for its healing properties
Typholsion: Fire/Ground: associated with volcanoes
Feraligatr: Water/Dark or Water/Dragon: its aggressiveness or its reptilian features like Mega Charizard X and Sceptile

Sceptile: Grass/Dragon: see above

Serperior: Grass/Psychic: No real reasoning. Just think it fits. Grass/Electric would be nice as well
Samurott: Water/Fighting or Water/Dark: to showcase its samurai inspirations

Rillaboom: Grass/Dark: It’s not really “evil” but maybe add onto its lore that it uses noise to disorientate its does before beating them up. Plus it completes the trio of Dark starters being Smash reps started with Greninja and Incineroar
Cinderace: Fire/Electric:Fits its high energetic personality and color scheme.
Inteleon: Water/Psychic or Water/Ghost: Psychic would play into its adaptability with weaponry while Ghost would fit the spy motif

Lluc

Not a Very Well-Known Member
Empoleon to Water/Ice just because both Torterra and Infernape had a trend of their secondary type being strong against the starter they were weak to but Empoleon broke the trend by having both its types weak to Torterra and Steel didn't do anything against it.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
I would make Emboar half Fire type and half Dark type. Every time I look at it I fail to see why Gamefreak decided to make it part Fighting type.
I think it's loosely based on a sumo wrestler, but I might be mistaken on that.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Lluc said:
Empoleon to Water/Ice just because both Torterra and Infernape had a trend of their secondary type being strong against the starter they were weak to but Empoleon broke the trend by having both its types weak to Torterra and Steel didn't do anything against it.

It being Water/Ice would make a lot of sense since it's a penguin and penguins live in cold climates. I never understood why Game Freak made it Water/Steel when it has no noteworthy metallic features other than its trident-shaped crown.

Lord Godwin

The Lord of Darkness
I hadn't thought of that, but it's true that Game Freak could've easily made Kamex (Blastoise) Water/Steel in Gen II. After all, they had no problem making Coil's (Magnemite's) line half Steel-type back then.
Totally agree, especially since Lucario has much less Steel on it.
Also it would've made all Konto Starters dual type.

UltimateNinja

Praying for the holy relics
Blastoise - I guess Steel fits the most
Meganium - Fairy
Typhlosion - Dark or Normal
Feraligatr - Fighting, Dark or Dragon.
Sceptile - Dragon
Emboar - Change secondary type to Ground. Make it quadruped and a fast physical sweeper.
Samurott - Fighting. Make it bipedal as a Samurai should be (Steel works better but Empoleon was already Water/Steel)
Serperior - Steel
Rillaboom - Rock (for music reference and the typing makes it a bit more viable)
Cinderace - Steel. (Electric also works but Fire and Electric in one always felt like a weird mix to me).
Intelleon - Ghost (Works with the stealth theme)

Pikasaur

Lazy Summer
Cinderace is a Fire/Fighting type, as unoriginal as it might be.
Rillaboom could be Grass/Fairy. I tried to think what type "Music" would be :D
I feel like Inteleon's Spy/Secret agent could be Water and Ghost, just to seperate it from Greninja.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Venomshock said:
I'd make Sceptile Grass/Dragon because it looks like it could pass for a Dragon type since it almost looks like a dinosaur.

I remember thinking back in Gen III that it should've been Grass/Dragon all along when I realized that it could learn Dragon Claw by TM and DragonBreath via breeding.