• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

If you had the opportunity to give a Pokémon a Redesign, Regional Variant or Evolution, which one would you give it to?

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
Over the years we've had over 900 Pokemon with many different designs and whatnot.

Some are big hits. But others deserve a few design tweaks imo.

In the last 5 years we've gone through Alolan Variations to Galarian Variations to now currently Hisuian Variations!
And every single time we've had some pretty big hits with Regional Variants and Evolutions such as Sirfetch'd, and as of recently Hisuian Zorua!

New-Project-2021-10-26T223630.831.jpg

865.png

Now let's say, you were given an opportunity to redesign any Pokemon of your choosing to give it to

Which Pokemon do you pick?

It can be ANY Pokemon. Starters, Mythicals, and Legendaries included.

For me? I would choose Jynx.

124.png

If there's any Pokemon I think deserves a massive design overhaul, it's this one.

With the amount of controversy surrounding it, don't you guys think it would be perfect opportunity for a redesign?

Not even sure where I start with it tho lol

And for Evolutions?

I'd pick Dunsparce

dunsparce-256x256.png

It's boring as is so I want to see something new done with it.
Don't you dare touch my little Johto snake!
I'd say Unown needs at least one evolution or two and get a major comeback. (Perhaps give it a Fairy/Psychic typing.) It has been weak since release and even Hidden Power isn't unique to it, everyone before Gen 8 could learn it.
Unown is designed to be weak and useless on its own. Its real power comes from its hivemind, which it can't have in-game for obvious reasons.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anyway, I would pick Flygon. The only thing I would do, is change it to Bug/Dragon, like it should have been in the first place. Trapinch would be Bug/Ground, and Vibrava can be Bug/Ground or Bug/Dragon.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
There are a lot more than one Pokemon who need an evolution, but the one who needs it the most out of all of them is Unown. If we're talking about type changes that aren't regional variants, I believe that they should've given some old Pokemon the Dark type when it was introduced. If it only could be one I would make Primeape Fighting/Dark given its personality and it would be nice if the Fighting type could flex on the OP Psychics early on. The Drowzee line could've become part Dark as well

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
Chatot. Make SO many regional parrots! Macaws, cockatoos, budgies...I especially want an African grey.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Dunsparce really needs some sort of evolution, as does Qwilfish. There's a lot of single stage Johto Pokemon that would really benefit from evolving, but these two stick out to me.

DatsRight

I still want that baby pre-evolution for Meowth that beta-Johto had planned. Even more so if it means a stat boost for the Meowth line.

Different circumstances could evolve it into the Meowth of certain regions.

I'm also disappointed Kanto Farfetch'd still hasn't gotten an evolution. Making an evolution JUST for a new form only really furthered making the original look like a dud.

Mythical-Moonlight

I just ran, I ran all Night and Day ~
I still want that baby pre-evolution for Meowth that beta-Johto had planned. Even more so if it means a stat boost for the Meowth line.

Different circumstances could evolve it into the Meowth of certain regions.

I'm also disappointed Kanto Farfetch'd still hasn't gotten an evolution. Making an evolution JUST for a new form only really furthered making the original look like a dud.
I'm more annoyed Sirfetch'd wasn't Flying/Fighting

Red and Blue

I'd like to give Meowth another variant and make it Fairy type with a brand new evolution. Since its two prior variants were modeled after the two new types introduced in Gen 2 I'd follow up with the new type introduced in Gen 6.

octoboy

I Crush Everything
Druddigon definitely needs a redesign in terms of coloration. It currently looks like a four year old’s coloring book work and its Shiny is somehow even worse!
Fun fact, there actually are real animals with the same colour scheme as druddigon. Ever seen a rock agama before?

Part of me would like to do more Eeveelutions. I mean, it was kind of a missed opportunity to introduce another for Gen 8.
According to Lockstin & Gnoggin, it seems as if the developers may have stopped giving the line more forms once they'd used up all the special types (all the types it doesn't have evolved forms for are physical types). I'd honestly rather it stayed that way, 8's a fine number to stop at (see: my username). Though given the popularity of the line, I could see Gamefreak caving and making more forms anyway. I've heard some say that maybe instead of outright new forms, regional variants could be given to the existing forms that are dual-typed, also bearing physical types (so instead of a new poison-type form, umbreon could be given a regional variant that's dark and poison). I'd honestly prefer that, as it seems the developers are leaning into only adding regional variants (which sometimes have exclusive evolved forms) rather than outright evolved forms, and it'd be nice if they could at least genuinely commit to that rather than giving us the same kind of blatant eevee exceptionalism we got in gen 6.

Probably once they realised no one liked those location stones and how they worked.
Yeah, it does seem as if the developers either got tired of adding those boulders in every region, or sensed the players were tired of looking for them. Though I honestly wished they could have fixed that without making the same item inexplicably work in one region, but not work in a bunch of others. I mean, if they really were tired of putting in evolutionary boulders, they could've just spared themselves to trouble and made eevee one of the victims of Dexit. I guess they thought they couldn't get away with that after having made it prominently featured in a previous game, but hey, if they can omit freakin' jigglypuff around the time Smash Ultimate came out, why not eevee as well?

In any case, what pokémon would I alter? Probably the early-gen regional bugs to make them more than just a walking evolution tutorial which you're meant to toss aside the moment something else in your team evolves. The gen 1 ones at least got extra forms to mitigate it (albeit in such a way that neither are helped by those forms in competitive single play now), but anything from gens 2 to 4 got basically nothing. I'd especially want to buff kricketune, as it's one of my favourites from gen 4 overall.

Also, I'd definitely want to give all 3 gen 1 starters alternate mega forms. Not only was charizard getting two different ones totally bogus (I suppose Mr. Jechgo makes an interesting point, but still), the other 2 getting retyped to form a second pseudo type-triangle similar to the Kalos starters' was begging to happen (venusaur is as flowery as florges, so make it fairy to counter charizard's dragon; blastoise looks like a tank, so make it steel to counter venusaur's fairy at the cost of its fire resistance against charizard), but the developers instead decided to go for the most biased blatant fanservice of all time, which grinds my gears to this day. And this is coming from someone who had charizard as their original starter.

WalesNote

I don't really understand the logic behind not giving Eevee any more evolutions. Doesn't make any sense. Another idiotic choice, really.

Give Dragonite a fairy/dragon variant, please.

Akashin

I don't really understand the logic behind not giving Eevee any more evolutions. Doesn't make any sense. Another idiotic choice, really.
I mean I'll say I don't really buy into the logic people use to justify it not happening... But I've never bought into the idea that it's a show that must go on either. That's not to say I don't understand why people want more Eeveelutions, but I don't see any particular need for it either.

If I were to insist on any sort of conclusion to the concept, it wouldn't be overwhelming us with an Eeveelution for every type; it would be returning the entire concept to its roots of being based on Evolution Stones and then tying that off. Change Espeon to evolve via Sun Stone, Umbreon via Dusk Stone and Sylveon via Moon Stone (alternatively, Umbreon via Moon Stone and Sylveon via Shiny Stone), then make Eeveelutions for the two unaccounted for stones and call it a day. That would also leave the door open for potential future Eeveelutions when/if they were to introduce new Stones for Eevee to respond to.

Mythical-Moonlight

I just ran, I ran all Night and Day ~
According to Lockstin & Gnoggin, it seems as if the developers may have stopped giving the line more forms once they'd used up all the special types (all the types it doesn't have evolved forms for are physical types). I'd honestly rather it stayed that way, 8's a fine number to stop at (see: my username).
Then why is there no Dragon Type Eeveelution?

DatsRight

Right now it seems that Eevee itself is getting a push as a mascot, thus less marketing for more evolutions right now.

Hopefully they'll get back to it eventually. I mean they've FINALLY started to give Raichu some love. :p

MrJechgo

Right now it seems that Eevee itself is getting a push as a mascot, thus less marketing for more evolutions right now.
If I had to guess, the Dragon type is still one of the most difficult type to balance. If Eevee had a Dragon evolution prior to Let's Go, it would have gotten an exclusive Dragon-type move from the Move Tutor, and it would have made the fight against Lance a joke.
Hopefully they'll get back to it eventually. I mean they've FINALLY started to give Raichu some love. :p
It's kinda criminal that Meowth got TWO variants... I would have seen a Galarian or Hisuian Electric/Fighting Raichu as a foil to Alolan Raichu.

DatsRight

It's kinda criminal that Meowth got TWO variants... I would have seen a Galarian or Hisuian Electric/Fighting Raichu as a foil to Alolan Raichu.
Right now I just want the Meowth line to get a stat boost so it can actually be used more effectively. Persian never recovered from the Gen 2 nerfing.

Raichu only got one regional variant, but I feel they're just a novelty, while its speed buff and moveset fix at least more properly abolished its 'dud evolution' reputation.

octoboy

I Crush Everything
Then why is there no Dragon Type Eeveelution?
Huh. I checked the video again, and it was made before gen 8's proper release. A dragon form was speculated for gen 8, though it didn't come. And it mainly mentions design issues behind dragon's exclusion (eevee is very mammalian, so it's hard to translate its features to something draconic, though then again, vaporeon integrates non-mammalian features pretty effectively). Looking back, the video did kind of seem to make the mistake of lumping dragon in with physical types, even though it wasn't one.

Also, dragon is a bit of an oddball special type, as it's the only special type which is weak to attacks of its type rather than resistant to them. I guess fairy doesn't resist fairy attacks either, but ehh.

A dragon form sounds as if it would have worked as a rival/counterpart to sylveon, so not releasing it in gen 6, or even gen 8 makes it hard to think of it as anything but an afterthought if it does show up. Who knows, though, maybe it will. Still kind of hope that's it, though, and if there have to be physical typed forms, they'll be regional variants of original forms.

ShadowForce720

Huh. I checked the video again, and it was made before gen 8's proper release. A dragon form was speculated for gen 8, though it didn't come. And it mainly mentions design issues behind dragon's exclusion (eevee is very mammalian, so it's hard to translate its features to something draconic, though then again, vaporeon integrates non-mammalian features pretty effectively). Looking back, the video did kind of seem to make the mistake of lumping dragon in with physical types, even though it wasn't one.

Also, dragon is a bit of an oddball special type, as it's the only special type which is weak to attacks of its type rather than resistant to them. I guess fairy doesn't resist fairy attacks either, but ehh.

A dragon form sounds as if it would have worked as a rival/counterpart to sylveon, so not releasing it in gen 6, or even gen 8 makes it hard to think of it as anything but an afterthought if it does show up. Who knows, though, maybe it will. Still kind of hope that's it, though, and if there have to be physical typed forms, they'll be regional variants of original forms.
In all honesty given that Eevee whole thing is it has multiple evolutions do to its unstable DNA, it would make more sense to just create brand new Eeveelutions rather then just giving regional variants to the existing Eeveelutions.

Especially since you the regional variant route limits the designs of the Eeveelutions as they will have to resemble and still be recognized as variants of the existing Eeveelutions.

The reason why the regional variants work for most of the other Pokémon is because most of the others don’t have multiple evolutions that covers the amount of types Eevee does and the others Pokémon designs are made to have many evolutions of different types.

Giving Eevee and its existing Eeveelutions regional variants would be like giving regional variants to The Legendary Golems, Silvally, or Arceus instead of just creating new plates, memory, and members to cover the missing types.

Sure it might sound cool in paper but in practice it’s pretty pointless. Also generally a new Eeveelution would generate hype just for being a new Eeveelution so it really doesn’t need to have handicap and just be a regional variant of an existing Eeveelutions.

MrJechgo

Right now I just want the Meowth line to get a stat boost so it can actually be used more effectively. Persian never recovered from the Gen 2 nerfing.

Raichu only got one regional variant, but I feel they're just a novelty, while its speed buff and moveset fix at least more properly abolished its 'dud evolution' reputation.
My reasoning is that Pikachu and Meowth got special treatments due to their popularity in the anime. If you check all episodes, Pikachu and Meowth have the most appearances, and it's pretty telling when both got G-Max forms, and not their evolved forms.

DatsRight

My reasoning is that Pikachu and Meowth got special treatments due to their popularity in the anime. If you check all episodes, Pikachu and Meowth have the most appearances, and it's pretty telling when both got G-Max forms, and not their evolved forms.
Now if Meowth can just get +20 stat boost like Pikachu got...