• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

If you had the opportunity to give a Pokémon a Redesign, Regional Variant or Evolution, which one would you give it to?

Mythical-Moonlight

I just ran, I ran all Night and Day ~
Over the years we've had over 900 Pokemon with many different designs and whatnot.

Some are big hits. But others deserve a few design tweaks imo.

In the last 5 years we've gone through Alolan Variations to Galarian Variations to now currently Hisuian Variations!
And every single time we've had some pretty big hits with Regional Variants and Evolutions such as Sirfetch'd, and as of recently Hisuian Zorua!

New-Project-2021-10-26T223630.831.jpg

865.png

Now let's say, you were given an opportunity to redesign any Pokemon of your choosing to give it to

Which Pokemon do you pick?

It can be ANY Pokemon. Starters, Mythicals, and Legendaries included.

For me? I would choose Jynx.

124.png

If there's any Pokemon I think deserves a massive design overhaul, it's this one.

With the amount of controversy surrounding it, don't you guys think it would be perfect opportunity for a redesign?

Not even sure where I start with it tho lol

And for Evolutions?

I'd pick Dunsparce

dunsparce-256x256.png

It's boring as is so I want to see something new done with it.

Last edited:

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
A regional variant of Castform that’s Ground Type and changes form based on Terrains instead of weather was an idea I had before Galarian Stunfisk came into existence.

Regional Porygon that’s based on malware would be cool. I’d also like to see regional variations of the Sandile & Hippopotas lines that are Water Type to reference their irl inspirations (or maybe Fire Types that live in lava)

Pokefan_1987

Avid Pokemon TCG Card collector.
I'd say Unown needs at least one evolution or two and get a major comeback. (Perhaps give it a Fairy/Psychic typing.) It has been weak since release and even Hidden Power isn't unique to it, everyone before Gen 8 could learn it.

Akashin

I'd say Unown needs at least one evolution or two and get a major comeback. (Perhaps give it a Fairy/Psychic typing.) It has been weak since release and even Hidden Power isn't unique to it, everyone before Gen 8 could learn it.
I've toyed with the idea of a new Form for Unown utilizing all of its different shapes. My idea was something along the lines of an event (ideally at the Ruins of Alph, but it doesn't have to be) where you collect all the different Unown, sort of like collecting Zygarde Cells. Once you've done that, somebody would let you change Unown's Ability from Levitate to a new one (my immediate idea was something akin to Wishiwashi's Schooling, but it doesn't have to be that) that causes it to take a new Form in battle.

I'm not sure I like the idea of Unown evolving outright, not with the lore already surrounding it in its present form. Not to say they can't change that of course, just that it isn't my preferred option.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I have a few. I’d change Quiladin’s eyes and other facial features slightly so it doesn’t have that creepy serial killer blank stare smile look anymore. Something a bit cuter to look at but still tough looking at the same time like most of the middle starter stages get. Druddigon definitely needs a redesign in terms of coloration. It currently looks like a four year old’s coloring book work and its Shiny is somehow even worse! I’d give it the same shade of blue on the head and body while keeping the chest coloration and red spike as there’s nothing with them. The wings I’d make more bat like and have a red spiky edge. Not sure how I’d change the Shiny though. Shiny Krookodile I’d give it red eye markings to hide those beady little eyes that seem mismatched to its design.

Ishiftyounot

The Meme Supreme
124.png

I think Jynx needs a regional evolution (or an evolution in general) for quite a few reasons really! Until Gen IV it was part of a trio alongside Magmar and Electabuzz before they gained evolutions (why Jynx didn't as well I'll never understand) and nowadays it's kind-of linked to Mr. Mime in my eyes as that creepy Gen I Psychic type that's a bit too humanoid for comfort - Mr. Mime at least got the Detective Pikachu movie and a regional form + evolution to give it a bit of a renaissance. A regional form and evolution opens up possibilities of Jynx herself getting an updated design and a new typing to match, especially given Galarian Mr. Mime & Mr. Mime kind-of do the Ice/Psychic thing as well now. What could it do? Not sure! Its Pokedex entries mention singing and dancing predominantly so maybe something along those lines - I saw someone suggested a viking-inspired evolution with an ice axe so you could go Ice/Fighting with that idea (with a theme on war cries or war dances to intimidate opponents) or even Ice/Dark. That could be neat.

206.png

I love Dunsparce - ever since I used it in Crystal it's become a meme amongst me and my friends but there's no denying it's in an odd spot. Low BST, pure Normal typing, a weird moveset but a cool inspiration/theme make this oddball beloved and in need of an evolution! I don't know what typing I'd give it or what theme you'd do - Subjectively did an evolution on their channel and it looks incredible (Normal/Flying typing is a bit generic but it works) but a regional form that's a Normal/Dragon type that evolves into a Fairy/Dragon would be funky!

232.png
217.png
219.png
211.png
203.png

Johto is full of solid but mediocre Pokemon that honestly deserve an upgrade. Stantler and Corsola got one, now it's time for these guys! Unfortunately at this point the time for new regional forms without evolutions are gone - these guys do not hold up after 6 generations no matter how much we may love them. Some are easier to come up with designs than others like Girafarig becoming Psychic/Dark for example with more emphasis on the chain-chomp tail? Others are harder, like where do you take Qwilfish's design? Original ideas aren't really my jam (I'd rather just redesign old Pokemon to fit typings that were rarer in their generation - Ghost/Bug Parasect for example or Ghost/Normal Stantler) but still!

MrJechgo

Hmmm...
  • Redesigns
    • Tauros evolving into Bouffalant
    • Luvdisk evolving into Alomomola
    • Ekans / Arbok as Poison/Dark when Gen 2 happened
    • Thwackey, Raboot and Drizzile being less angsty / edgy teenage versions ^^;
    • Remoraid and Octillery as their scrapped designs
    • Relicanth as a Fossil Pokémon
    • Shedinja with HP, actual defense and special defense
    • Ninjask and Accelgor as Bug/Dark
    • Several early Flying-types not being Normal-type
  • Regional variants (way too many to list, but here are a few)
    • Hoothoot / Noctowl as Ice/Psychic snowy owls
    • Kangaskhan as Ground/Fighting, leaner kangaroo
    • Yanmega as Bug/Dragon
  • Evolutions
    • Jynx as Ice/Psychic, maybe a Viking Queen
    • Pinsir as Bug/Dark
    • Qwilfish as Water/Poison
    • Girafarig as either Psychic/Fairy or Psychic/Dark as a split evo
    • Stunfisk as Ground/Electric or Ground/Steel (depending on the region)

Monox D. I-Fly

Speaking of Unowns, I would like them to evolve to each singular mono-types while their shape become the Kanji for their responding evolutions (for example, "Mizu" Kanji-shaped Unown as its Water-type evolution, etc).

MrJechgo

Speaking of Unowns, I would like them to evolve to each singular mono-types while their shape become the Kanji for their responding evolutions (for example, "Mizu" Kanji-shaped Unown as its Water-type evolution, etc).
I could see an Unown evolution based on the Nasca lines, but in orderto do so, you would need SIX Unowns in your party, spelling a specific word. When evolving, the Pokémon becomes Nascalpha (Nasca + Alpha[bet]), and it's part Psychic... and part the other type related to the word:
F L Y I N G : Psychic/Flying, the Hummingbird
G R O U N D: Psychic/Ground, the Dog
B U B B L E: Psychic/Water, the Whale
E M B E R S: Psychic/Fire, the Condor
S P I D E R: Psychic/Bug, the Spider
B R A N C H: Psychic/Grass, the Tree
F L O W E R: Psychic/Fairy, the Flower
L I Z A R D: Psychic/Dragon, the Lizard
C O M B A T: Psychic/Fighting, the Giant
P S Y C H E: Psychic only, the Spiral

MrJechgo

Part of me would like to do more Eeveelutions. I mean, it was kind of a missed opportunity to introduce another for Gen 8.

Then again, I would accept anything new to do with Eeveelutions in practice.
What's weird is that in Gen 1, Eevee's dex entry mentioned how it reacted differently to stones, but then GameFreaks decided to use new evolution methos to match whatever new mechanics the gen introduced. What's ironic is that Leafeon and Glaceon went from location evos to stone evos in Gen 8 :p

StolenMadWolf

What's weird is that in Gen 1, Eevee's dex entry mentioned how it reacted differently to stones, but then GameFreaks decided to use new evolution methos to match whatever new mechanics the gen introduced. What's ironic is that Leafeon and Glaceon went from location evos to stone evos in Gen 8 :p

Probably once they realised no one liked those location stones and how they worked. ;)

MrJechgo

Probably once they realised no one liked those location stones and how they worked. ;)
Leafeon could have been added as early as Gen 1 using the Leaf Stone, while Glaceon... would have been added as late as Gen 7 with the Ice Stone ^^; Moon Stone for Umbreon, Sun Stone for Espeon and Shiny Stone for Sylveon would have worked as well ;)

MrJechgo

Here are a few redesigns:
  • Psyduck and Golduck as Water/Psychic
  • Zeraora as Electric/Fighting
  • Grapploct as Fighting/Water
  • Electivire as Electric/Fighting
  • Magmortar as Fire/Rock
  • Altaria as Dragon/Fairy
  • Ampharos as Electric/Dragon
  • Gyarados as Water/Dragon
  • Octillery as Water/Fire
  • Huntail as Water/Dark
  • Gorebyss as Water/Psychic
  • Blastoise as Water/Steel
  • Meganium as Grass/Fairy
  • Typhlosion as Fire/Ground
  • Feraligatr as Water/Dragon
  • Sceptile as Grass/Dragon
  • Serperior as Grass/Dragon
  • Samurott as Water/Fighting
  • Rillaboom as Grass/Fairy
  • Cinderace as Fire/Ground
  • Inteleon as Water/Ghost
  • Galarian Articuno as Ice/Psychic
  • Galarian Zapdos as Electric/Fighting
  • Galarian Moltres as Fire/Dark
  • Ledian as Bug/Fighting WITH a higher Physical stat
  • Tropius as Grass/Dragon
  • Toucannon as Grass/Flying

Yveltal91057

It’s Kalos season!
Here are a few redesigns:
  • Psyduck and Golduck as Water/Psychic
  • Zeraora as Electric/Fighting
  • Grapploct as Fighting/Water
  • Electivire as Electric/Fighting
  • Magmortar as Fire/Rock
  • Altaria as Dragon/Fairy
  • Ampharos as Electric/Dragon
  • Gyarados as Water/Dragon
  • Octillery as Water/Fire
  • Huntail as Water/Dark
  • Gorebyss as Water/Psychic
  • Blastoise as Water/Steel
  • Meganium as Grass/Fairy
  • Typhlosion as Fire/Ground
  • Feraligatr as Water/Dragon
  • Sceptile as Grass/Dragon
  • Serperior as Grass/Dragon
  • Samurott as Water/Fighting
  • Rillaboom as Grass/Fairy
  • Cinderace as Fire/Ground
  • Inteleon as Water/Ghost
  • Galarian Articuno as Ice/Psychic
  • Galarian Zapdos as Electric/Fighting
  • Galarian Moltres as Fire/Dark
  • Ledian as Bug/Fighting WITH a higher Physical stat
  • Tropius as Grass/Dragon
  • Toucannon as Grass/Flying
Meganium becoming Grass/Fairy, not having any access to Psychic type moves and having a 4x weakness to Poison types would be bad in the competitive scene.

I fail to see how Rillaboom is now a Grass/Fairy type. Nothing about it remotely resembles what a Fairy type should look like.

Considering that it’s based on a bunny/rabbit, Cinderace should be a Fire/Grass type.

Typhlosion and Magmortar now being a Fire/Ground type and Fire/Rock type both with a 4x weakness to Water type moves is also bad. I would leave them as pure Fire types.

Mega Sceptile is Grass/Dragon, but considering that it can’t exactly be used anymore, a regular Sceptile becoming Grass/Dragon is a good thing.

TwilightBlade

Why would Jynx need another redesign? They already fixed her face so that it's purple instead of black and there's been no other controversies surrounding her since the year 2000-ish, so clearly people were appeased by the redesign already.

I'd give Larvitar a minor design and change its type to Rock/Dragon since it's always seemed like a mini dragon to me any way.

MrJechgo

Meganium becoming Grass/Fairy, not having any access to Psychic type moves and having a 4x weakness to Poison types would be bad in the competitive scene.
Well, if it's a redesign, movesets would change accordingly :p
I fail to see how Rillaboom is now a Grass/Fairy type. Nothing about it remotely resembles what a Fairy type should look like.
I initially though it was better as a Grass/Dark, but Rillaboom... actually wishes to drum the world in harmony with Pokémon, so I could see it as a friendly forest creature... which is often associated with the Fairy type.
Considering that it’s based on a bunny/rabbit, Cinderace should be a Fire/Grass type.
Fire/Ground would also work due to rabbits and hares digging holes, and a soccer player, it... would not be out of place for Cinderace to fling sand at its opponent ;)
Typhlosion and Magmortar now being a Fire/Ground type and Fire/Rock type both with a 4x weakness to Water type moves is also bad. I would leave them as pure Fire types.
Again, I went with flavor. Typhlosion being the Volcano Pokémon would work great with earth-shaking moves and Magmortar being able to fling rocks, like a mortar.
Mega Sceptile is Grass/Dragon, but considering that it can’t exactly be used anymore, a regular Sceptile becoming Grass/Dragon is a good thing.
That's my point initially. Giving the Dragon type to a starter would be too powerful, BUT I don't see how it would be for a former starter. Let's face it: once a new generation of Pokémon is release, the previous starters aren't starters anymore, so them getting new types would not be that much of a bad thing.

Last edited: