• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

If you were a gym leader, what would be your team?

Nyter

Island Challenger
So obviously there are 9 gym leaders in a region that participates in a gym Challenge Pokémon League. Each gym becomes difficult as you progress through the region so I will set a format in which I believe the games/anime kind of follow for each gym leader in the progression order...

1st gym leader: (2 Pokemon total) 1 unevolved + 1 unevolved/single-stage
2nd gym leader: (2 Pokémon total) 1 unevolved + 1 fully evolved/single-stage
3rd gym leader: (3 Pokémon total) 1 evolved/not fully evolved/single-stage + 2 fully evolved/single-stage
4th gym leader: (3 Pokémon total) 3 fully evolved/single-stage
5th gym leader: (3 Pokémon total) 3 fully evolved/single-stage
6th gym leader: (3 Pokémon total) 3 fully evolved/single-stage
7th gym leader: (4 Pokémon total) 4 fully evolved/single-stage
8th gym leader: (4 Pokémon total) 3 fully evolved/single-stage + 1 fully evolved

NO LEGENDARIES/MYTHICAL

So which number gym leader would you be? What type of gym leader? What Pokémon would you have according to the number gym leader you are? Which of your Pokémon would be your Ace? What would your gym badge be called?

Sound off below... I will begin.

- I would be the 3rd gym leader a trainer would have to face.
- My gym type would most likely be flying-type
- My three Pokemon would be Hawlucha, Talonflame, and Gliscor (Gliscor would be my Ace)
- My gym badge would be called the Kite Badge

Teravolt

cilan lives forever in my heart
I’d be a 6th Gym Leader, specializing in (obviously) Electric types.

Ace: (Gigantamax) Low Key Toxtricity
Secondary: Luxray
Tertiary: Manectric

My Badge would be called the Shockwave Badge, and the whole Gym would be designed like a rave because electronic music is my life.
It also fits with G-Max Toxtricity’s musical design.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
I would be the fifth Gym Leader in my region, and I would use the Fire type.

My team would be:

• Houndoom
  • Camerupt
  • Blaziken (my ace, can Mega Evolve)

My Badge would be called the Blaze Badge, and I would give out Flamethrower as a TM.

PS: You can use starters or their evolutions, right? I know Gardenia in the Gen 4 games and anime used a Turtwig in her Gym battle.

Last edited:

Nyter

Island Challenger
I would be the fifth Gym Leader in my region, and I would use the Fire type.

My team would be:

• Houndoom
  • Camerupt
  • Blaziken (my ace)

My Badge would be called the Blaze Badge, and I would give out Flamethrower as a TM.

PS: You can use starters or their evolutions, right? I know Gardenia in the Gen 4 games and anime used a Turtwig in her Gym battle.
Absolutely yes.... I have seen Starters in gyms and Elite 4. Nice Ace! Might as well make it a Mega Blazilen of you want.

zolios

I would be the 5th (or 6th) Gym Leader and I would use Bug types. My team would be:

- Galvantula
- Heracross
- Crustle (my ace)

I would give you Swarm Badge and X-Scissor TM.

I'd like to think that my Gym would be one of the hardest ones and since it would be 5th (or 6th) Gym it would serve as a "warning" that you are now past the halfway point of the game and the battles are now starting to get harder and more serious.

My strategy would be to lead with Galvantula to set up Sticky Web and slow your team down and then Volt Switch around (we all know how annoying and difficult Volt Switch can be thanks to Elesa). Heracross would be an all out attacker with its strong moves and my ace Crustle would be a sweeper with Shell Smash and Sturdy combo. I also like that my team's secondary types cover a lot of common Bug type weaknesses: Flying with Electric and Rock, Fire with Rock and Rock with Fighting and Volt Switch on my lead Pokemon would allow me to almost always get a favorable matchup at the start.

Last edited:

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Absolutely yes.... I have seen Starters in gyms and Elite 4. Nice Ace! Might as well make it a Mega Blazilen of you want.

Didn't Flint in the Sinnoh E4 have an Infernape?

TheCharredDragon

Tis the Hour to Reload
I would actually pick to be the first Gym Leader. I mean realistically I like to think I woulf have a seperate team from when I did the journey to the team I use as a Gym Leader but that's besides the point.

Now since I'm a first Gym Leader, instead of my prefered and favorite type of Dragon, I would instead be a Fire type Leader, since that has type weaknesses that most beginner trainers would have access to, Rock, Ground and Water, but still be a type that I get to use favorites from.

My team would be a Charmander and a Litwick, with Charmander as my ace. I picked Litwick so that a player would have to deal with Flame Body and thus teaching them abilities are important as well as deal with Confuse Ray (as it learns it around past level 10) and thus have to learn to deal with status effects. If they don't know how to deal eith that well, then my Charmander will end up cleaning up the mess. Or at least that's my strategy/teaching method anyway.

My badge would be called the Flint Badge, as I am a Fire type user but also the first challenge they face, and hopefully they'll overcome, like how a flint starts a fire. IE I hope to be the flint that starts the fire that will eventually become a Champion.

And since Teravolt did it...my gym would be simple but still give a bit of a challenge: dealing with puzzles involving heat (aka use or turn or what have you with fire to solve it) that'll let them progress when completed, but with no Gym trainers.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
My badge would be called the Flint Badge, as I am a Fire type user but also the first challenge they face, and hopefully they'll overcome, like how a flint starts a fire. IE I hope to be the flint that starts the fire that will eventually become a Champion.

Funnily enough, the anime episode that Flint (the Sinnoh E4 Fire-type member) debuted in was called Flint Sparks the Fire! It's kind of ironic that his name is a kind of rock, and Fire is weak to Rock, but a rock can start a fire. :p

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
Hmm, I'd probably be a water type leader so I'd be around 5th to 7th so that trainers have gotten mons/moves of enough variety.
I'd have 3 teams depending on the amount of badges the trainer has
4 badges:
Seadra, Wartortle, Slowbro
Mons everyone is familiar with, but can still be kinda tough to handle depending on the circumstances

5 badges:
Wartortle, Relicanth, Floatzel (swift swim), Lanturn
Not top tier mons, but strong enough for a good challenge. Relicanth would set up rain dance for Floatzel and Lanturn to take advantage of

6 badges:
Ludicolo, Dreadnaw, Azumarill, Swampert (Mega)
Multiple typings, using lots of coverage moves, Ludicolo would set up rain dance early on and get swapped out, and of course a good finisher with a mega Swampert. Good challenge for anyone who has gotten this far.

Badge: Hmm, well, since it's a mid-late adventure I need something that sounds like an accomplishment, so I think I'll go for the Tidal badge, or since I'd be relying on rain dance, I also like Downpour badge quite a bit.

Puzzle: WATER SLIDE, with the thing being dodging water guns and avoiding pitfalls

Also yes I'm contractually obligated to use a turtle in each match

Last edited:

OwensJB

I'd be the last gym leader of a region and specialize in Electric types. I'd use A-Golem, Electivire, Toxtricity and a new Electric type.

Last edited:

Pokefan_1987

Avid Pokemon TCG Card collector.
I would be a fire gym leader. 7th in the region.

Torkoal with Drought and holding Focus Sash so it can set up harsh sunlight weakening water moves. Always goes first
Incineroar
Turtonator Testing how opponents handle a Shell Trap when they think too hastily
Mega Charizard X is my ace Pokemon testing how trainers handle a pokemon with many resistances.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Naturally, I would be a Ghost-type gym leader, 5th in the region.

Badge: Afterlife Badge
laXd8Qj.jpg

Gym Team:
CPCcVOQ.jpg

Technical Machine: Shadow Sneak

Strategy: The team is designed to present unexpected circumstances to the challenger. Each pokemon has a battle style separate from the other two, and switching out is common. However, the overall aim is to maintain control of the field through a rotating use of status moves. The challenger will have to rely on speed and hard-hitting super effective moves in order to win.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I'd specialize in either Water-types or Bug-types. I'm leaning more on the latter since I've become more interested in Bug-types in recent years. I wouldn't mind being the third or fourth Gym Leader in a regional line-up and using Yanyanma (Yanma), Onishizukumo (Araquanid), and Kuwagannon (Vikavolt).

Pokefan_1987

Avid Pokemon TCG Card collector.
I forgot to add the name of the badge that would be given by my gym. The Inferno Badge Not sure how design it, like a volcano or vein of magma?

MrJechgo

Hmmm... I like Dark types, but I keep thinking that Dark is more difficult than any other, so I would be a 7th or 8th Leader, with the Pitch Badge.
I'd get Thievul, Mightyena, Liepard and Zoroark (ace), and I'd add A-Persian and Absol for a rematch ;)
or be a total jerk and have Zoroark, Incineroar, Crawdaunt, Shiftry, Morpeko and Pangoro as my rematch line-up :p

Kyuu-Tales

織田信長☆FAN
This sounds like fun! I hope no one minds if I give this a go:

I'd like to be a Poison-type Gym Leader, seventh in the region. I'd specialize in double battles.

I'd have the following on my team:
- Toxapex (Female, Level 39) [Baneful Bunker, Infestation, Liquidation, Wide Guard]
- Dragalge (Female, Level 40) [Venoshock, Water Pulse, Shadow Ball, Dragon Pulse]
- Galarian Slowking (Male, Level 41) [Eerie Spell, Slack Off, Venoshock, Light Screen]
- Toxicroak (Male, Level 43, Team Ace) [Poison Jab, Throat Chop, Drain Punch, Corrosive Gas]

I would bestow the Corrosion Badge, as well as the Technical Machine for Venoshock, upon those who successfully completed the gym's brutal gauntlet of battles.