• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

If You Were In Charge *Possible Spoilers*

shadowkami

Internet Hustla'
Then that's ending the show.

And this isn't Pokemon.

This is the most idiotic idea that's often trumpeted on these forums. Pokemon isn't Pokemon if it's made for an "older" crowd.

That doesn't mean Pokemon couldn't be used for mature or deep plots, but usually when people say "mature" they mean needless gore, sex, violence, drug use, etc...

It also doesn't help that the older crowd fans, you know, 18+, are the vast minority of the franchise, and probably insignifigant as far as the anime is concerned. A show aimed for them would fail.

I mean, hey, if some violence addicted 15 year old needs to see some animated cleavage and explosions, then there's no shortage of franchises to choose from. But why make an innocent franchise like Pokemon into that type of crap?

They already do this. But they need to be modified so that the mechanics make sense in an animated, fluid format.

No, they don't. The Simpsons have been on for 20 years, James Bond has been around forever, and people don't whine about them not aging.

Please don't.
Simpsons=/=Pokemon=/=Bond

They're not even comparable in any way. You should've at least compared something a little more valid. In the name of example, Digimon. In the first two seasons, the characters aged. To not have characters age would be more of a time paradox. As for all 5 seasons there was no overkill of one main protagonist, not even the digidestined was monotous and repetitive as this trainer ash crap. The anime needs variation. A child won't play with one toy forever, he/she will eventually get bored and become preoccupied with another. It's a surprise that for about 10 years Ash is still the main protagonist and he hasn't fulfilled his dream AT ALL yet.

On a alternative note: I wasn't referring to a NC-17 type of show. It doesn't have to show blood and guts. I made myself very unclear when I said "mature" Less more of "Together Yes We Can!"(No pun intended), more vengance, a deeper plot, anticlimax perhaps. Who said we needed cleavage, T & A, and graphic violence to make a show mature. The plot line is weak for a children's show. I've seen children's show's who had a much stronger plotline than pokemon. Now you may reply as why I should watch those shows instead. One reason, They're too short.

randomspot555

Simpsons=/=Pokemon=/=Bond

They're not even comparable in any way.

They're a perfect example. It's not new that a form of serial fiction (which is what Pokemon is) places characters in a relatively ageless environment where time progresses at a very decreased rate. Do you want MORE examples?

In the first two seasons, the characters aged. To not have characters age would be more of a time paradox.

Suspension of disbelief. If you're going to question the time line of animated series such as Pokemon, then you're going to be REALLY bothered by the fluid physics of the anime.

TLDR: You're watching a show about little monsters who have some sort of powers and beat each other up and live inside little balls that can be carried on a belt. If you can belive that, I think you can go along with a slowed down timeline.

A child won't play with one toy forever, he/she will eventually get bored and become preoccupied with another. It's a surprise that for about 10 years Ash is still the main protagonist and he hasn't fulfilled his dream AT ALL yet.

Well the theory is that it's replenished by NEW kids. And either way, Pokemon has far outrun it's course. Considering most kids shows last 5 years tops, any type of success beyond medicore more than justifies the anime's current existance.

On a alternative note: I wasn't referring to a NC-17 type of show. It doesn't have to show blood and guts. I made myself very unclear when I said "mature" Less more of "Together Yes We Can!"(No pun intended), more vengance, a deeper plot, anticlimax perhaps. Who said we needed cleavage, T & A, and graphic violence to make a show mature. The plot line is weak for a children's show. I've seen children's show's who had a much stronger plotline than pokemon. Now you may reply as why I should watch those shows instead. One reason, They're too short.

But the entire franchise is built on the theme of friendship conquers all. Why would you expect the anime to be any different?

Yes, you were very vague. But based on experience, when someone calls for a "mature" show, 99% of the time, they're describing what I typed up.

Either way, a mature show is unnessary, would fail, and wouldn't be Pokemon anyway.

ash101

hmm Sinnoh thing I would chang well for starter I would ether make Brock do somthing other then cook and walk and I would expand his team more with alot more battle's.Or I would scrap Brock for this serise and have made the Sinnoh saga team Ash,Dawn and Jun.If that happend I would have the teams like this

Ash:
Pikachu
Ambipom
Staraptor
Grotle
Magmortar
Buizel

Oaked:
Garchomp

Dawn:
Empoleon
Lopunny
Pachirisu
Vespiquen
Mamoswine
Ledian

Jun:
Munchlax(be like Jun's Pikachu)
Luxray
Likiliky
Blissey
Tyrogue

Paul:
Electivire
Urasaring
Hounchkrow
Infernape
Rhyperior
Scizor
and more at reggies

thunderblade12

First off, I would have explained Ash's education status and had the characters win money by winning battles like in the games. Making pokemon training like an actual 'career.' Ash would have attended pokemon trainer school with Gary and the other two Pallet Trainers as a kid. The rivals would have shown up much more than they did, Gary would have appeared at least as much as Paul.

I worked on the teams for quite some time, procrasyinating a bit but I finally finished them. I'll copy them to the forums

Kanto
[spoil]

Kanto:

Ash:
Pikachu
Bulbasaur->Ivysaur
Charmander->Charmeleon->Charizard
Squirtle
Pidgey-Pidgeot
Snorlax

Leaf(FRLG girl):
Clefairy
Caterpie->Butterfree
Psyduck
Vulpix(Originally the breeder's. Leaf-breeder trade)
Eevee->Jolteon

Breeder:
Rhyhorn->Rhydon(Originally Leaf's. Leaf-breeder trade)
Ditto
Nidoran->Nidoking

Jessie:
Meowth
Ekans->Arbok
Jigglypuff
Weedle->Beedrill

James:
Meowth
Bellsprout->Victreebel
Slowpoke

Gary:
Squirtle->Blastoise
Growlithe->Arcanine
Exeggcutor
Alakazam
Doduo->Dodrio
Electabuzz

Damien(One of the original Pallet trainers)(Fails as a trainer):
Charmander(Released)
Ratata
Nidoran(Female)

Cooltrainer rival(female)(one of the original Pallet trainers):
Raichu
Venusaur
Golduck
Scyther
Machoke->Machamp
Fearow

Rival coordinator 1:
Venonat->Venomoth
Ponyta->Rapidash
Jynx
Vaporeon
Farfetch'd

Rival Coordinator 2:
Dewgong
Flareon
Gengar
Vileplume
Nidoqueen

Rocket Elite 1:
Persian
Weezing

Rocket Elite 2:
Muk
Tangela

Rocket Elite 3:
Pinser
Raticate
[/spoil]

Sevii Islands
[spoil]
Sevii Islands:

Ash:
Pikachu
Ivysaur
Charizard
Squirtle
Pidgeot
Cubone->Marowak

Leaf:
Clefairy
Psyduck
Pichu
Vulpix->Ninetales
Oddish->Gloom

Breeder:
Rhydon
Ditto
Zubat-Golbat

Jessie:
Meowth
Arbok
Jigglypuff
Beedrill

James:
Meowth
Victreebel
Slowpoke

Gary:
Blastoise
Arcanine
Exeggcutor
Alakazam
Dodrio
Electabuzz
About 200 other reserves including pokemon from a far away land named "Johto"

Cooltrainer rival(female):
Raichu
Venusaur
Golduck
Scyther
Machamp
Fearow

Rival coordinator 1:
Venomoth
Rapidash
Jynx
Vaporeon
Farfetch'd

Rival Coordinator 2:
Dewgong
Flareon
Gengar
Vileplume
Nidoqueen[/spoil]

Johto
[spoil]

Johto:

Ash:
Pikachu
Totodile->Croconaw
Sunkern->Sunflora
Hoothoot->Noctowl
Cyndaquil
Phanphy->Donphan

Marina:
Chicorita->Bayleef
Togepi
Ledyba->Ledian
Poliwag->Politoed
Magby

Breeder:
Golbat->Crobat
Marill-Azumarill
Shuckle

Leaf(Cameo)
Clefairy
Butterfree
Psyduck
Ninetales
Jolteon
Pichu
Bellosom

Jessie:
Meowth
Dunsparce
Smoochum
Spinarak->Ariados

James:
Meowth
Wobuffett
Hoppip->Jumpluff

Jimmy:
Typhlosion
Espeon
Heracross
Xatu
Quagsire
Amparous

Silver:
Maganium
Umbreon
Ursaring
Houndoom
Skarmory
Elekid

Rival coordinator 1:
Quilava
Igglybuff
Mareep->Flaffy
Slowking
Misdreavus

Rival Coordinator 2:
Smeargle
Pineco->Foretress
Tyrouge->Hitmontop
Girafarig
Clefa

Neo-rocket commander 1:
Murkrow
Crobat

Neo-rocket commander 2:
Granbull
Magcargo

Neo-rocket commander 3:
Porygon-2
Sneasle
[/spoil]

Johto filler arc
[spoil]

Johto filler saga:

Ash:
Pikachu
Croconaw->Feraligatr
Sunflora
Noctowl
Cyndaquil
Delibird

Marina:
Bayleef
Togepi->Togetic
Magby
Azurill
Kecleon

Breeder:
Crobat
Shuckle
Whynaut

Jessie:
Meowth
Dunsparce
Smoochum
Ariados

James:
Meowth
Wobuffett
Jumpluff

Jimmy:
Typhlosion
Espeon
Heracross
Xatu
Quagsire
Amparous

Silver:
Maganium
Umbreon
Ursaring
Houndoom
Skarmory
Elekid

Rival coordinator 1:
Quilava
Igglybuff
Flaffy
Slowking
Misdreavus

Rival Coordinator 2:
Smeargle
Foretress
Hitmontop
Girafarig
Clefa
[/spoil]

Hoeen
[spoil]

Hoeen:

Ash:
Pikachu
Treecko->Grovyl
Tailow->Swellow
Numel
Mudkip->Marshtomp
Snorunt->Glalie

May:
Torchic->Combusken
Wurmple->Beautifly
Skitty
Spheal->Sealeo
Swablu

Breeder:
Whynaut
Shroomish->Breloom
Whismer->Exploud

Marina(Cameo)
Maganium
Togetic
Ledian
Politoed
Magby
Azurill
Kecleon

Jessie:
Meowth
Seviper
Dustox
Spoink->Grumpig

James:
Meowth
Cacnea
Chimecho

Brenden:
Swampert
Shiftry
Sableye
Torkoal
Aggron
Manectrike

Wally:
Ralts->Gardevoir
Makuhita->Hariyama
Ninjask
Plusle
Tropius
Blaziken

Drew:
Roselia
Flygon
Absol
Dusclops
Gorebyss

Harley:
Cacturne
Banette
Mawile
Minun
Huntail

Archie:
Crawdaunt
Sharpedo

Aqua commander:
Zangoose
Mightyena

Maxxie:
Camerupt
Claydol

Magma commander:
Mightyena
[/spoil]

AG Battle Frontier
[spoil]

Ash:
Pikachu
Grovyl->Sceptile
Swellow
Numel->Camerupt
Marshtomp
Gligar

May:
Combusken->Blaziken
Sealeo->Walrein
Swablu
Munchlax
Tangela

Breeder:
Breloom
Exploud
Happiny

Jessie:
Meowth
Seviper
Dustox
Lickitung

James:
Meowth
Cacnea
Mime Jr

Brenden:
Swampert
Shiftry
Sableye
Torkoal
Aggron
Manectrike

Wally:
Gardevoir
Hariyama
Ninjask
Plusle
Tropius
Blaziken

Drew:
Roselia
Flygon
Absol
Dusclops
Gorebyss

Harley:
Cacturne
Banette
Mawile
Minun
Huntail
[/spoil]

Sinnoh
[spoil]

Ash:
Pikachu
Turtwig->Grotle
Chimchar->Infernape
Starly->Staraptor
Buizel
Gligar->Gliscor

Dawn:
Piplup
Buneary
Pachirisu
Aipom->Ambipom
Swinub->Mamoswine

Breeder:
Happiny->Blissey
Croagunk
Mantyke->Mantine

Jessie:
Meowth
Lickitung->Lickilicky
Yanma->Yanmega
Chatot

James:
Meowth
Mime Jr
Carnivine
Stunky

May(Cameo)
Blaziken
Beautifly
Skitty
Walrein
Altaria
Tangrowth
Munchlax

Paul:
Torterra
Murkrow->Honchkrow
Sneasle->Weavile
Gliscor
Magby->Magmortar
Elekid->Electivire

Jun:
Empoleon
Munchlax->Snorlax
Ponyta->Rapidash
Gallade
Rhyhorn->Rhyperior
Snover->Abomasnow

Zoey:
Glameow
Shellos->Gastrodon
Misdreavus->Mismagius
Finneon->Lumineon
Leafeon

Kenny:
Prinplup
Duskull->Dusknoir
Riolu->Lucario
Vespiquen
Glaceon

Nando:
Budew
Lopunny
Chingling->Chimecho
Togepi->Togekiss
Froslass
Kricketot->Kricketune

Saturn:
Toxicroak
Bronzor
Rhyperior

Mars:
Purugly
Bronzor
Tangrowth

Jupiter:
Skuntank
Bronzor
Magnezone

Cyrus:
Drapion
Weavile
Honchkrow
Houndoom
Crobat
Gyarados
[/spoil]

Last edited:

Rex Kamex

They're a perfect example. It's not new that a form of serial fiction (which is what Pokemon is) places characters in a relatively ageless environment where time progresses at a very decreased rate. Do you want MORE examples?

Even so, The Simpsons is a 400+ episode TV series, and even though James Bond has a ton of movies, I don't even know how much he'd age. (So if James Bond doesn't age much, I don't think it'd be as significant as The Simpsons not aging much.)

Like I mentioned before, I don't think it would kill the show if they aged. I wouldn't make Ash twenty or so. My last post said how I would age him.

randomspot555

Even so, The Simpsons is a 400+ episode TV series, and even though James Bond has a ton of movies, I don't even know how much he'd age. (So if James Bond doesn't age much, I don't think it'd be as significant as The Simpsons not aging much.)

Like I mentioned before, I don't think it would kill the show if they aged. I wouldn't make Ash twenty or so. My last post said how I would age him.

James Bond has been around longer and is arguably a better example than The Simpsons, since it often "resets" itself (usually after a new actor takes up the lead role, but sometimes from movie to movie) and rarely references past movies, much like Pokemon. But the point still stands: In a long running form of fiction, it's not uncommon to find that while time does "pass", it passes at a much slower rate.

I actually agree that Ash has aged some. (But I've seen more than a few aging him 18-20) One to two years isn't too bad of a guess since that's largely not too noticeable of a difference, but it's pretty obvious why the producers want to avoid questions of age if they want to keep the anime going.

Rex Kamex

James Bond has been around longer and is arguably a better example than The Simpsons, since it often "resets" itself (usually after a new actor takes up the lead role, but sometimes from movie to movie)

And also people complain a lot about The Simpsons today anyway.

and rarely references past movies, much like Pokemon. But the point still stands: In a long running form of fiction, it's not uncommon to find that while time does "pass", it passes at a much slower rate.

True... the thing about Pokemon is that it's the longest show I've watched where even though a lot has happened (like Ash going to different regions, certain things happening a year later- I assume the line Ash said about it being a whole year since he first came to Viridian City was in the original), the characters haven't aged much. I don't know how much stuff James Bond has done in all of his movies, but Pokemon has more material anyway (eleven movies and nearly 600 episodes). So when Pokemon characters do not age, this catches my attention more.

I actually agree that Ash has aged some. (But I've seen more than a few aging him 18-20) One to two years isn't too bad of a guess since that's largely not too noticeable of a difference, but it's pretty obvious why the producers want to avoid questions of age if they want to keep the anime going.

I know they want to, I just wish they didn't. In my opinion, aging him 14/15 by Sinnoh wouldn't kill the show.

randomspot555

And also people complain a lot about The Simpsons today anyway.

But I've never heard it be about the lack of aging.

True... the thing about Pokemon is that it's the longest show I've watched where even though a lot has happened (like Ash going to different regions, certain things happening a year later- I assume the line Ash said about it being a whole year since he first came to Viridian City was in the original), the characters haven't aged much. I don't know how much stuff James Bond has done in all of his movies, but Pokemon has more material anyway (eleven movies and nearly 600 episodes). So when Pokemon characters do not age, this catches my attention more.

Well now you're just nitpicking the details. A film series running since the late 60s with 22 films, or an anime running for a bit over a decade, or a cartoon show running for 20+ years, either way it shows an obvious lack of aging. The point still stands: Serial fiction often takes place in an ageless environment.

Of course, the only reason there's debate on this is because no one from the anime has ever said how time passes. In contrast, Marvel Comics openly admits that they're universe exists with very slowed down time and gives an exact number of years as to when the first major comic published by them happened (IE Even though Fantastic Four #1 was published way back in the 60s, "officially" in the Marvel Universe only about 12 years has passed).

I know they want to, I just wish they didn't. In my opinion, aging him 14/15 by Sinnoh wouldn't kill the show.

But you don't see many 14/15 year olds still traveling. That usually seems to be the age of Gym Leaders or people working in some low level Pokemon profession.

Rex Kamex

Neither have I, but lack of aging hasn't helped the show. Although I have heard of people mentioning the same elements happening in man y episodes of the show again (I think like Bart/Lisa starting/finishing a certain grade multiple times). I don't even know how much the plot lines in The Simpsons build on each other, considering it's not an ongoing story like Pokemon is. (I mean, Pokemon has no end in sight, and many storylines within the show take place within one episode, but there's still an ongoing storyline- it's just a lot more loose.) So for me to watch Pokemon, where storylines to build up (to an extent), and notice that characters don't age and time becomes more and more vague is something I'm more likely to notice (and be irritated by) than if I were to watch The Simpsons.

Well now you're just nitpicking the details. A film series running since the late 60s with 22 films, or an anime running for a bit over a decade, or a cartoon show running for 20+ years, either way it shows an obvious lack of aging. The point still stands: Serial fiction often takes place in an ageless environment.

I'm assuming, then, that the technology and equipment and such used in the movies are the same as things used in the time period that the movie was produced, right? (In other words, the movie/s of the laste 60s should occur in that time period while the latest one could've occured in 2008.) In that case, I do see your point about how James Bond could've aged between that time but he didn't. (If he is supposed to Ash, he'd age much more than Ash would- I don't Ash would have to age much anyway- but he isn't, so I see your point.)

In any case... what do you mean by he movies "resetting themselves"? Do you mean repeating some of the same movies? Telling alternate storylines? What did you mean by that? (So I won't have any doubt in my mind what you mean.)

Of course, the only reason there's debate on this is because no one from the anime has ever said how time passes. In contrast, Marvel Comics openly admits that they're universe exists with very slowed down time and gives an exact number of years as to when the first major comic published by them happened (IE Even though Fantastic Four #1 was published way back in the 60s, "officially" in the Marvel Universe only about 12 years has passed).

Regarding Pokemon, since the anime stopped saying how much time has passed, my argument is... would it really kill the show if they did say how much passed? Now if might hurt it somewhat since they haven't been keeping track of it, but if at the beginning of every journey they said how long it's been since Ash began training (or something related to time), I don't think it would hurt. The manga Pokemon Special/Adventures mentions time, which is another reason why I think the anime could.

But you don't see many 14/15 year olds still traveling. That usually seems to be the age of Gym Leaders or people working in some low level Pokemon profession.

That's not necessarilly true. Especially since we don't know what age the youngest of those people are.

In any case, I don't see Ash stopping from going to region to region just because he's turned 15. Since there's never been a set age for people to stop traveling, why couldn't he still travel from region to region?

Nightlingbolt

AKA Nightlingbolt
I've decided to do a what-if scenario: If Dawn had bonded with Chimchar instead of Piplup.

Ash:
Pikachu
Starly-Staravia-Staraptor
Turtwig-Grotle
Magby-Magmar-Magmortar
Piplup-Prinplup-Empoleon (Formerly Paul's)
Gligar-Gliscor (Traded from Dawn)

Dawn:
Chimchar-Monferno-Infernape
Buneary-Lopunny
Pachirisu
Aipom-Ambipom (Traded from Ash)
Buizel
Swinub-Piloswine-Mamoswine

Brock:
Same as before.

Kenny:
Monferno-Infernape
Alakazam
Breloom
God knows what else!

Paul:
Elekid-Electabuzz-Electivire
Murkrow-Honchkrow
Torterra
Houndoom
Feraligatr
Gliscor

Jun:
Infernape
Staraptor
Roserade
Floatzel
Heracross
Snorlax

Ash's Prinplup would evolve during the League, and after defeating Feraligatr, would proceed to attack Paul (since Paul insulted Empoleon's pride as a Piplup by releasing it), forcing the judge to disqualify it and Ash hesitating to use it in his next battle, causing him to lose. This would begin a period of Empoleon disobeying Ash during the filler arc.

Sinnoh Filler:

Ash:
Pikachu
Staraptor
Bulbasaur-Ivysaur
Empoleon
Pokemon that evolves in Gen V

Dawn:
Monferno-Infernape
Ambipom
Mamoswine
Chikorita
Gen V pre-evolution
Pokemon that evolves in Gen V

Brock:
Croagunk
Happiny-Chansey-Blissey
Sudowoodo
Gen V pre-evolution

Paul:
Not a factor after Ash defeats him.

Kenny:
Monferno-Infernape
Alakazam
Breloom
Gallade

Zoey:
Glameow
Mismagius
Gastrodon
Finneon
Typhlosion
Froslass

And I would've brought Misty back in an episode dealing with East Sea Shellos some time before the Wallace Cup. Hell, I probably would've had her enter, but not get very far (no thanks to Psyduck).

Jesse GS the II

I was frozen today!
You know what I think? I think the people who want the characters to be older and the plots to be more serious are just thinking "Hmm, I'm growing up, and I'm no longer in this show's demographic, and I don't want people to think I watch a kids' show, but I don't want to stop watching it either...I'm stuck! Curse my inability to ignore what other people say about me! Oh, if only there were some way to make this show suitable for the crowd I yearn to fit in with!"

This is why I stopped writing my fanfictions.

S.Suikun

Thank you, SPPf! :)
Even though this thread has existed for over two months, I've just gotten around to reading the assorted mind-numbed talks of killing off characters, never introducing new cast members, keeping Richie around for some seriously propostrous reason, and a bunch of really random team lists that I'm baffled anybody actually reads.

Taking that into consideration, IF I WERE IN CHARGE, I'd probably kill myself for unleashing all of you upon the world.

Rex Kamex

You know what I think? I think the people who want the characters to be older and the plots to be more serious are just thinking "Hmm, I'm growing up, and I'm no longer in this show's demographic, and I don't want people to think I watch a kids' show, but I don't want to stop watching it either...I'm stuck! Curse my inability to ignore what other people say about me! Oh, if only there were some way to make this show suitable for the crowd I yearn to fit in with!"

Or in my case (and some other people), they just want to see them age as time passes in their journey.

Like I said before, Ash can still act goofy and childlike. He'd just grow up a little bit, somewhat (due to age). Aging him and the others won't turn the show into a masterpiece, but I don't see how aging the characters somewhat'll hurt the show (especially since it'd be a slow and gradual aging process, anyway).

Nothing to do with turning the show into a teen's show, especially since having a teenager star the show won't make it a kids show.

XxpikapikaxX

Is also a Naruto fan
If I was in charge, I would evolve Dawn's Piplup all the way into Empoleon (its my fave pokemon) and let them reveal Ash's Father =)

Rex Kamex

- I'd keep Piplup the way it is.

- Ash would have Ambipom and Dawn Floatzel.

- That thing in Johto where Ash becomes a Pikachu would last several episodes, I think.

- ......... Umm... yeah... I think I'll stick with my original idea of having May be the main girl instead of Dawn.

- So... the Hoenn group would be Ash, May, Brock, and Max. The Sinnoh group would be Ash, May, Dawn, and Brock. The 5th generation group would be Ash, May, Dawn, and 5thGenGuy... Ash, May, 5thGenGirl, and Brock (he'd do more, so his presence wouldn't annoy people as much)... or Ash, May, 5thGenGirl and 5thGenGuy. In any case, it'd be a two-guy, two-girl group.

- I'd make more of the characters of the day more interesting, especially in the looks department. There'd be more people that have unique looks like Morrision, Jump etc(although I think most of the "plain"-looking people, in my opinion, are from Johto...).

- I think I said before that more characters-of-the-day would come back. AJ is a good example. I'd want to see Samurai again as well. I want to see some more uniqueness in Pokemon trainers, like these two. Doesn't have to be everyone, though.

zlxq3000

Master Collector
Here's how I'd tie-in a possible G/S remake into the anime:

After defeating Team Galactic, Ash makes his way over to the Sinnoh League, where he competes and wins, making it to the Elite Four. He defeats them and Cynthia, becoming the Pokemon Champion. However, at his victory party, Pikachu is at last kidnapped by Team Rocket! Enraged, he sets off after the duo, making his way back to their HQ, where he finally meets Giovanni. He battles the villain for Pikachu's freedom, and manages to defeat the evil mastermind, which somehow leads to the dissolution of the organization; his subordinates start to view him as weak because of his defeat to a mere boy, he loses confidence in his abilities, whatever. Team Rocket ends. Ash returns to Pallet Town a hero, and rests.

...Meanwhile, in Johto, a boy is about to start a journey. This boy (who I'll call Gold for the sake of argument) has a strong sense of justice about him, and when he hears that a rare pokemon was stolen from Professor Elm's laboratory, he makes his way across the region, hunting the thief. However, he catches wind of an evil group known as Team Rocket who was rumored to have fallen apart but is still holding on in Johto under a new boss. He decides to double his efforts and put an end to both the new Team Rocket and the mysterious thief. After thwarting Team Rocket, he finally tracks the thief down and defeats him (the thief, of course, being Silver, who he'd fought with throughout the season but hadn't been strong enough to defeat or who had escaped when he thought he was going to lose or things like that). After bringing the thief to justice, Gold is introduced by Professor Elm to Professor Oak, who tells Gold that he has great potential, and should look into competing in the (insert 5th-gen region) League. Gold becomes intrigued, and decides to make his way to that region. This season of the anime would be incredibly short compared to the others only because there wouldn't really be any Gym battles or anything; he'd interact with Gym Leaders and things like that, but the anime's already gone through the Johto Gyms, so why revisit them? Hence why his is purely a quest of justice and not of fame like Ash's.

Gold makes his way to the 5th-gen region and starts making his way through the Gyms and whatnot, solving problems along the way (instead of trouble finding him a la Jessie and James, he'd actually look for trouble only so he could do away with it). He overcomes the evil Team that's got nasty, horrible plans for world dominance or reform or whatever. He makes his way to the League, and battles all the way to the end, where he meets... Ash Ketchum! At this point, the two battle, and whoever wins/loses becomes the main protagonist for the rest of the series. This way, if viewers of the anime don't like Gold as much as Ash, he can be replaced.

I just figure it's a way for Ash to take a break from the spotlight. I mean, he's been questing and training for, like, 5 years straight now. The kid deserves a rest. The only downside would be no more Jessie and James for a while (although they technically could try to rebuild Team Rocket themselves and continue trying to do evil things without The Boss to worry about, following around whatever protagonist to cause trouble for him, although Gold would be more looking for them than they'd be looking for him...). Also, it brings to question "What about Pikachu?" Well who says Gold can't have a Pikachu of his own, huh? HUH? YOU DON'T KNOW! YOU DON'T KNOW!!!!... Ahem... But so yeah. There's that.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
I'd make Jessie,James and Meowth not a bunch of losers!I'd make them sucsessful{not when fighting Ash and pals because the hero wins,but I'd let them sneak some Pokemon when they aren't looking}.Ash and pals would go to Orre!Giovanni would appear sometimes as a villain!I don't know who I'll make Ash's fatehr,but I'll reveal it at the series end.Also,I'll make it official that they've aged!

thunderblade12

Here are short summarize of how the first 5 episodes of the series would have looked if I was in charge:

Ep1: Gary, Daisy and Damien all begin their journey. Ash gets Pikachu because he is late. Ash's backstory is revealed by Oak; he was a failure in pokemon school, far behind the other 3 Kanto rookies. The 'pokemon trainer' career is also explained by Oak. Pikachu disobeys, a flock of Spearow attack and Ash meets a roudy girl named Leaf(FRLG girl) and steals her bike so that he can escape Spearow and save Pikachu. Pikachu protects Ash from Spearow but is left injured. Ash sees a pink, mystical pokemon flying over the rainbow(Mew).

Ep2: Pikachu recovers at the pokemon center after Joy and Chansey scold Ash. Jessie, James and Meowth make their first appearence. Pikachu defeats their Ekans, Weedle and Bellsprout and blasts them off. Leaf shows up angry and demands Ash escort her to Pallet to get her starter pokemon now that she doesn't have her bike to outrun wild pokemon. Ash asks Oak why TR was after Pikachu, Oak tells him Pikachu was literally an old TR 'labrat.' They made it stronger than the average Pikachu but mistreated it so Oak seized Pikachu. Oak also tells Ash to pick up a parcel from the PokeMart for him. Ash's mom reveals that Ash's grandfather died trying to become a trainer and his dad is still training hard. Jessie and James cry to their mysterious boss and are ordered to keep pursuing Pikachu until they catch it.

Ep3: Ash and Leaf head to Pallet as Jessie and James show up and attempt to steal Pikachu. They fail but manage to make off with the parcel. Ash and co. get the parcel back and blasts them off quickly. The two arrive at Oak's lab and give him his parcel. Oak gives them both pokedex's which were in the parcel(he ran out of those just like he ran out of valuable starter pokemon). Oak gives Leaf one of his very own pokemon, a Clefairy. The Clefairy is a snotty brat that runs away from its new trainer allowing TR to catch it, they use Clefairy as ransom to get Pikachu and make off with both cute little mascots. Ash catch's a Pidgey(by pure luck) which fights hard to save the two, in the end, it is successful.

Ep4: Ash runs into Gary who explains that he already has a full team of 6 pokemon.His starter was Squirtle. Ash battles Gary but loses to his Growlithe and Doduo. Gary explains gyms, the league and the Elite 4

Ep5: Ash does his first real training. Pikachu becomes overloaded with electricity and goes on a possessed rampage. TR accidently help relieve its condition with on of their mechas. Pikachu replaces thundershock with thunderbolt

I'll add more later.

Please keep in mind that the pokemon anime is all about promoting the games, I wouldn't go all out and turn Pokemon into a DBZ-esque shonen anime, it would still need to promote the games and be drawn out enough so that a saga lasts until a new set of games come out. I would just try to combine story elements with game promoting to cut back on filler episodes.

Last edited:

Rex Kamex

I did respond to this already, but also... the characters do age in a series like Dragon Ball, and they age even more than that in Dragon Ball Z. I haven't heard people complain about the shows because of their aging.

My point is, even though cartoons don't have to age, I don't think that meant that (at least some) cartoons shouldn't age. And if I were running Pokemon, they would gradually age due to the time passing over many episodes. Like I said before, I wouldn't transform Ash (or Dawn, since she or May'd be the main girl) into a completely new and "mature" character.