• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

IGRMT Rating Workshop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noctourniquet

∆∆∆
Hello all you happy and enthusiastic raters! Welcome to the first edition of:

The IGRMT Rating Workshop.​

So, what's this? Well, it's an idea which was originally devised by Shuckle in the IGRMT Raters' Union before social groups were disabled. Him and I have been discussing it since, and decided that it'd be a good idea to trial it on a wider scale in IGRMT itself.

What goes on in this thread? You simply ask your rating questions. You may be unsure of why another rater has suggested a certain moveset, for example. Unsure of what a Leftovers+1 point is? Someone in here can help you out with that too. Whatever your questions about rating are, you can post them in here.

Now, a few rules and suggestions which need to be considered.

Follow all main Serebiiforums.com forum rules!
These rules are absolutely vital reading for all members, and they apply entirely in this forum. Don't go against them.

Follow all forum-specific rules!
This means that IGRMT's rules are important in this thread. Once again, required reading.

Don't ask for movesets!
We have a thread which will help you with your individual movesets here. Don't use this thread to fill its purpose please.

Don't ask about Pokémon's learnable moves!
The main Serebii.net site has a comprehensive Pokémon Black & White PokéDex which will suit your needs just fine.

Check the IGRMT Guides!
The stuff in this thread is there to help you get off the ground as a rater. Try to read and understand its content. If you're really stuck, post in here. If there's something it doesn't cover or you'd like more detail about, post in here. But please don't come in here without reading those asking about what the Jolly Nature does please.

The Staff and I are here to help you!
If you have any questions, you may send a PM to either myself or one of this section's fine moderators: TheBlueRabbit, Final, Shine, Archangel or Shuckle.

So yeah. Now that you've read all of that, go ahead and post away!

Last edited:

Psycho Cut

Awesome! Great thread idea!

I'll be back..!

Noctourniquet

∆∆∆
Lmao and I'm gonna be the first one to ask something in here. I think I asked this same thing before but the post was deleted when the social groups went away.

I have been rating all this time and still I'm clueless about mixed sweepers. How do people allocate their EV spreads? Is boosting recommended on them? Which side of the attacking spectrum should their STABs reside in? ;-;

[GS]

Staring at my phone
The way I usually do it is by investing more in the weaker attacking
stat. Usually I try to hit a point where I can KO a specific threat, but
only after hitting a speed point that's useful.

For boosting, I usually stick to speed, but if you're using say, Dragon
Dance, you're better off investing more heavily in SpA since you're
going to be manually boosting Atk.

As for STABs, I usually go with the stronger one, but in the case of EQ
and Earth Power for instance, Earth Power is usually my choice, since
most things that are hit for SE damage by ground moves have lower SpD.

I know this is pretty vague, so I may expand on this a little later since I'm
a bit pressed for time. Also, most of this is preference, and others probably
do it differently. When it comes to mixed sweepers it's usually a good idea
to make sure you're hitting a specific threat hard enough to even warrant
going mixed in the first place, or for surprise value, such as SubPunch
Ampharos or Raichu.

On another note, I'm glad this thread has been made a reality, hopefully
some of the newer members, and less-experienced regulars will benefit
from some of this info.

GalladeX

What is the 'Leftovers +1 Point'? I have the same problem as Alex - the post explaining it got deleted when the social groups went bye-bye, and I don't remember exactly what it was.

[GS]

Staring at my phone
Lefties+1 is achieved by making sure your final HP number is
divisible by 16+1. This allows you to get the maximum HP
recovery possible while adding an extra point. IMO, it's not
that important, but iirc it also allows you to take the least
residual damage from Spikes/Stealth Rock as well.

ZeroEdgeir

Basically, take your pokemon's total HP and divide it by 16. If it comes out as a whole number (eg: 160 / 16 = 10) you get 10 health back. What you wanna do, is make sure you actually are at, based on the example, 161, as it will round up and give you 11 HP per turn from Leftovers, instead of 10.

I think that is right, right?

[GS]

Staring at my phone
^ Yea, that's correct. You calculate your total HP to be divisible by
16 and then add 1 to it. I'm not sure if the whole number you get
upon dividing is the actual number of HP you gain, but the rest is
correct.

Zhanton

le quant-à-soi
I'm not sure if the whole number you get
upon dividing is the actual number of HP you gain, but the rest is
correct.
Well, since you recover 1/16th of your HP every turn, the number you get when dividing would be what you recover.

[GS]

Staring at my phone
^ lol, yea, you're absolutely right. I guess that's why I'm
not a math major... Or even good at math...

hyacinth

okay here is a question i've always wondered about is Shell Bell ever better then leftovers I know it would be rare to see such a item on an attacking but can any pokemon pull it off?

[GS]

Staring at my phone
No, Shell Bell is inferior by leaps and bounds to Leftovers.

Shell Bell may heal 1/8 of the damage dealt, but the amount of
health isn't consistent and requires you to attack before it even
activates. Leftovers always heals 1/16 of your max health,
which may seem like a big drop, but when you factor in
differences in base HP and damage done, Leftovers will always
come out on top thanks to is consistency and the fact that it
will always restore health whether or not you attack.

Noctourniquet

∆∆∆
Why do people keep posting EV spreads for teams for playthroughs?

because either they want to take in-game a bit more seriously or just feel like putting a little more effort into team creation without having to deal with competitive threat lists and all that. i'm the latter but iirc people like shuckle are the former so it's really just up to preference.

there's also scrmt teams (semi-competitive rate my team) which is more or else the same as the "taking in-game a bit more seriously" thing but with a minor emphasis on threats as well.

kaiser soze

Reading ADWD
I understand semi-competitive and the Battle Subway, but I see a lot of people posting teams for a simple playthrough with EV spreads. Sorry I'm kinda new to this specific section.

[GS]

Staring at my phone
I'll occasionally post RMT's for in-game use with EV's simply to
keep my skills up. I like creating EV spreads that are specialized
to specific threats and such, so some practice keeps me sharp,
even though in-game specialized EV's serve no real purpose.

Vandslaux

What's there really to do after you beat Alder? Raise your team to 100 via Nimbasa stadiums, E4, Cynthia, Morimoto, etc? I must say, there's a lot of daily trainers in BW.

hyacinth

erm..explore the second half of the map find the 7 saga's yeah pretty much raise your team do contests if you want

Status
Not open for further replies.