• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ilima and Eevee Have Ilimade Their Entrance!! (1008)

diakyu

You guys are looking for depth in a freaking gag with Tupp's backstory. Thought it was hilarious.

nickdt

In SM028, Snorlax showed of its Z Move, yet, that episode is considered a filler. So similarly, either this episode should be considered a filler as well, or SM028 is not a filler.

For me, that episode isn't a filler either, since something important happened, a Z-Move was showcased.

Remix2

So this episode was basically just everyone saying how awesome Illima is and him having no flaws, ya doesn't sound that good.

Daniel31

HopingGaryReturns
Hmm...cheerleaders, coolness, and an Eevee...nice try writers, but there can only be one Gary Oak. ;)

Anyway, I thought the episode was average. It was a little boring at times, but it did have its moments.

It did look Kagetora in the beginning, whom Ilima was battling and received the Eevium-Z from in the beginning of this episode, so I thought that was cool. I did think Kiawe was funny with the pose he did on the second dive, Buzzwole reference..? :p I also liked the little humorous backstory with the Team Skull grunt and Ilima, that was funny. Extreme Evoboost looked okay and I didn't mind how it was done in the anime. I liked hearing what sounded like the Poni Wilds bgm being played a couple times (one of my favorite songs from the games). It was nice to see Team Skull again, but why do they have to be so weak...it's so embarrassing lol.

Henry's Journey

It's confirm that Ilima participated in Kalos League bfore he return in Alola, too bad Ash is not around when They talking about it.
Also Kukui recommend him to participate too in Alola league if he will build it someday

Really nice, so Ash has 3 potential rivals in the league: Gladion, Masked Royale and now Ilima.

In SM028, Snorlax showed of its Z Move, yet, that episode is considered a filler. So similarly, either this episode should be considered a filler as well, or SM028 is not a filler.

No, just because you disliked it doesn't mean this episode was a filler, it was the introduction episode of Ilima which could be a potential league rival + an important game character (even if it's not depicted as a captain in the anime). I don't think anyone would consider filler the introduction episodes of Sawyer, Alain or any other rival.

Last edited:

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
I'm apparently in the minority here, but I didn't really mind how Extreme Evoboost was portrayed. Yeah, it would have been much, much cooler if Eevee had summoned mirages of its evolved forms, but having the actual evolved forms gather to lend Eevee their energy was a little more realistic, and maybe that's why the writers went with that.

I'm not going to ding this episode for its focus on Ilima, because the episode was pretty much meant to focus on him and his legendary status as the school's prince. I do wish some of the legends had been more interesting, though. Apparently, he is famous for being able to dive from the highest height with his Pokémon? And what was the legend involving him and Komala?

I was wondering when Pikachu's unevolved status would be brought up in the SM series. I like how the writers tied Ash not evolving his Pikachu to Ilima not evolving his Eevee, and how (if I understood correctly) both of them like their Pokémon just the way they are and believe they can be strong without evolving.

It's confirm that Ilima participated in Kalos League bfore he return in Alola, too bad Ash is not around when They talking about it.
Also Kukui recommend him to participate too in Alola league if he will build it someday
I was a little surprised and disappointed that Kukui didn't tell Ilima that one of his students was runner-up in the Kalos League. Surely Ash has told Kukui about his League experiences? IMO, it was a golden opportunity that the writers completely missed. However, at least there is a chance Ilima will participate in the Alola League and be one of Ash's opponents. In fact, he had better be one of Ash's League opponents, since he and Ash never actually got to battle in this episode.

So, Tupp actually has a grudge against Ilima for being more popular with the girls back when they were students. On the surface, it seems a rather petty reason for holding a grudge, but we're talking about preteens here. Popularity and girls are both rather big deals at that age. Getting any backstory for any Team Skull at all was actually a pleasant surprise. Given the way Team Skull has been callously disregarded treated so far in the series, I wasn't expecting much, if any, backstory for any of them besides Guzma.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
I hope Ash gets Ash Greninja back for the sole reason of sweeping Ilima 3-0 or 6-0.
Haha you just said exactly what I was thinking. After learning that Ilima participated in the Kalos League, it even annoyed me more that everyone including the fangirls were going gaga over Ilima, especially when the Kalos League finalist was present there himself.

I just hope now Ash-Greninja comes back and unleashes the wrath of the Orange Shuriken(which was a failure back then) upon Ilima's Pokemon in the League and sweeps him six to zip. :p

RN6daxM.gif

Last edited:

Remix2

I'm apparently in the minority here, but I didn't really mind how Extreme Evoboost was portrayed. Yeah, it would have been much, much cooler if Eevee had summoned mirages of its evolved forms, but having the actual evolved forms gather to lend Eevee their energy was a little more realistic, and maybe that's why the writers went with that.

I'm not going to ding this episode for its focus on Ilima, because the episode was pretty much meant to focus on him and his legendary status as the school's prince. I do wish some of the legends had been more interesting, though. Apparently, he is famous for being able to dive from the highest height with his Pokémon? And what was the legend involving him and Komala?

I was wondering when Pikachu's unevolved status would be brought up in the SM series. I like how the writers tied Ash not evolving his Pikachu to Ilima not evolving his Eevee, and how (if I understood correctly) both of them like their Pokémon just the way they are and believe they can be strong without evolving.

I was a little surprised and disappointed that Kukui didn't tell Ilima that one of his students was runner-up in the Kalos League. Surely Ash has told Kukui about his League experiences? IMO, it was a golden opportunity that the writers completely missed. However, at least there is a chance Ilima will participate in the Alola League and be one of Ash's opponents. In fact, he had better be one of Ash's League opponents, since he and Ash never actually got to battle in this episode.

So, Tupp actually has a grudge against Ilima for being more popular with the girls back when they were students. On the surface, it seems a rather petty reason for holding a grudge, but we're talking about preteens here. Popularity and girls are both rather big deals at that age. Getting any backstory for any Team Skull at all was actually a pleasant surprise. Given the way Team Skull has been callously disregarded treated so far in the series, I wasn't expecting much, if any, backstory for any of them besides Guzma.

Problem is if they did reference ash in the kalo league and that he was the runner up that will make ash a confident person and they can't have that in sm they need to make him a butt of all jokes whatever if it necessary or not.

Last edited:

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
Problem is if they did reference ash in the kalo league and that he was the runner up that will make ash a confident person and they can't have that in sm they need to make him a butt of all jokes whatever if it necessary or not.
Ash being a confident person has absolutely nothing to do with his being the butt of jokes. The two are completely unrelated. In fact, Ash is both in SM—he is a confident person and a skilled Trainer and he is frequently the butt of jokes. Mentioning that he was the runner-up in the Kalos League wouldn't change any of that. But it would be nice continuity. It was still a golden opportunity that the writers should have taken advantage of, and I don't know why they didn't.

Ash lives with Kukui. Even as modest as he is, you would think that at some point, he would have mentioned his League experiences and being runner-up in the Kalos League. Heck, if Kukui is so interested in creating an Alola League, you would think he would have done research on the other regions' leagues, and might have learned himself that Ash was runner-up in the Kalos League.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl

I agree that this episode was pretty lame but this is just dumb lmao.

Team Skull was good to see at least and I kinda liked Tupp getting a bit of backstory. At least it makes him more than some one dimensional grunt unlike the others.

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
Haha you just said exactly what I was thinking. After learning that Ilima participated in the Kalos League, it even annoyed me more that everyone including the fangirls were going gaga over Ilima, especially when the Kalos League finalist was present there himself.

I just hope now Ash-Greninja comes back and unleashed the wrath of the Orange Shuriken(which was a failure back then/ upon Ilima's Pokemon in the League and sweeps him six to zip. :p

[IMG300]https://imgur.com/RN6daxM.gif[/IMG300]

That's the whole point of obsessive fan girls...

Decent-ish I suppose. Not something I'll revisit (same for next episode by previews). Should have appeared earlier if he was going to appear. Maybe he's being set up as a rival. Could have had him graduate early on and travel for Eeveeium-Z.

Extreme Evoboost, more like Extreme WTF, I didn't understand why they just didn't summon like spirit Eeveelutions or something.

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
The diving scene was pretty cool to see, I loved Mallow's form! I would be the same as Lillie and jump from the shorter side. It was a bit interesting seeing how Tupp hates Ilima. (Seriously, this guy must not have any flaws!) He even took his own fangirls! Ilima is such a chick magnet! :p It would be a crime for Ilima to not know who Gary Oak is! I got strong Gary Oak vibes throughout the episode. At least the girls (Mallow, Lillie, and Lana) cheered for him!!

I liked the Z Move scene as it was going up to it's climax. Not only did it have an effect on the female Skull grunts but blew them away with a giant spinning Swift attack like move! I admit that the final move was a bit underwhelming. But I also liked that Tupp got a hit on Eevee, something that the TRio barely gets and it felt like sweet revenge. I felt happy for him sicne I knew he wasn't going to win and he and his friends are going to get shamelessly knocked out.

Last edited:

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
The part where it shows the Eevee's extreme boost, they could put Gary and Umbreon, May and Glaceon, Serena and Sylveon, and so on as cameo appearences. That would be awesome too look.

As for the episode, it wasn't that great imo. I like Eevee, but I think it and Llima were glorified a little bit too much.

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
Ash lives with Kukui. Even as modest as he is, you would think that at some point, he would have mentioned his League experiences and being runner-up in the Kalos League. Heck, if Kukui is so interested in creating an Alola League, you would think he would have done research on the other regions' leagues, and might have learned himself that Ash was runner-up in the Kalos League.
I blame Max for humiliating/reminding him about his loss at the Silver Conference. After all, I think that was the last time Ash mentioned his accomplishments to someone important and since then, he kept it to himself. He probably doesn't want another person like Misty cramping his style if she reminded him of his pity badges.

Last edited:

DatsRight

This episode was....er....okay I guess? It's one of few modern episodes where one of the villain teams SAVE it by interrupting.

Ilima being acknowledged is cool, but his character doesn't seem particularly interesting, he's mellow and perfect, but he doesn't really have much chemistry with the students. Usually a 'character that's good at everything' plot is made eventful by one of the cast being jealous or skeptical of them but everyone in SM is too pleasant to do that sort of plot. Ash got ticked by Gary because Gary was a troll bordering on bully along with being an ace, while Ilima is sincerely pleasant. The diving scene was kinda funny (I like Marowak being timid of the high dive and even playing with Eevee) but that's about it. I'm guessing it might have relevance if Ilima returns (though the guest voicing might limit that) though if not, it's character shilling that doesn't really lead to anything.

New twist to have Lillie naive to Ilima as well. I know she came in after Sophocles, but this is the first time she's treated as a newcomer to the school along with Ash.

Team Skull probably get their first developed face off with the heroes this episode though, largely because Ilima, while kind of bland, has a past with the leader, and his impersonal mellowness bounces off his frustration. THIS is how you do a bumbling villain face off. FUNNY CHEMISTRY. Tupp being ecstatic after getting in ONE hit was funny, especially when Eevee got right back up from it.

The Eevee Z Move was hilariously exaggerated. I expected it to be one of those 'gains the power of all the Eeveelutions' but no, an actual example of all of them by reflex literally come and assist it. Thankfully this episode isn't taking itself seriously or else that would be one story breaking power. :p

I've noticed we've only had about three or four villain interruptions this series, and they're mostly to showcase some new character or Z Move instead of just to cut off a plot the writers can't finish. Sure Pikachu vs Eevee could have been cool, but we've seen it before.

Concerning the Kalos League, I think it's meant to be less continuity snub and more irony. Let's face it, it's in character for Ash to sell himself short these days so only those close to him know he's a world saving ace and not just some weird clumsy kid.

Side note: It seems a lot easier to get female Eevees in the anime.

Last edited:

AshxSatoshi

Ice Aurelia
Honestly ever since Serena ran to tell Ash, Clement and Bonnie about her going to do Contests in Hoenn and him blatantly not mentioning how he travelled there with a famous coordinator or that he travelled there at all.. I just gave up on them mentioning past events in the series unless the plot calls for it. I don’t even think this is a SM problem at this point.

Anyway I agree the Eevee Z-form was extremely off.

Last edited:

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
Ilima being acknowledged is cool, but his character doesn't seem particularly interesting, he's mellow and perfect, but he doesn't really have much chemistry with the students. Usually a 'character that's good at everything' plot is made eventful by one of the cast being jealous or skeptical of them but everyone in SM is too pleasant to do that sort of plot. Ash got ticked by Gary because Gary was a troll bordering on bully along with being an ace, while Ilima is sincerely pleasant. The diving scene was kinda funny (I like Marowak being timid of the high dive and even playing with Eevee) but that's about it. I'm guessing it might have relevance if Ilima returns (though the guest voicing might limit that) though if not, it's character shilling that doesn't really lead to anything.
Team Skull's entire reason for picking a fight with Ilima was due to Tupp's past relationship with him and his (Tupp's) jealousy of Ilima's popularity back when they were students. The jealous character might not have been one of the main characters, but jealousy still made the plot eventful. Ash and his friends really had no reason to be jealous or skeptical of Ilima. Even if someone had claimed Ilima was the best Trainer the school had ever seen, Ash would be too busy overcome with the desire to challenge him to a Pokémon battle to be jealous or skeptical of him.

The fact that Ilima was so pleasant (and actually a bit modest, going by his speech patterns) might have helped. He wasn't showing off to make the students look bad. He was just satisfying their curiosity regarding the legends surrounding him. Notice his expression when Ash and the others asked him to verify the legends.

New twist to have Lillie naive to Ilima as well. I know she came in after Sophocles, but this is the first time she's treated as a newcomer to the school along with Ash.
I thought that was kind of interesting. As you said, it's the first time it's been acknowledged, or even mentioned, that she is a newer student. It makes me wonder how long she has been a student, compared to how long the others have been students. It would be nice to see an episode that addresses how long Kiawe, Sophocles, Mallow, and Lana have known each other.

Concerning the Kalos League, I think it's meant to be less continuity snub and more irony. Let's face it, it's in character for Ash to sell himself short these days so only those close to him know he's a world saving ace and not just some weird clumsy kid.
But Kukui and Ash are quite close. Yes, Ash tends to sell himself short and not brag about all the things he has done, but you would think at some point, he would mention competing in regional leagues. Besides, as I said before, if Kukui wants to establish a league in Alola, then it stands to reason that he would have researched the other regions' leagues. It'd be pretty easy to find out that Ash was the runner-up in the Kalos League.

DatsRight

Ironically the one time Ash bragged about a past achievement, someone was around to debunk it and make him look like a fraud.

Truthfully the news report at the start of XY was the only pointer to how damn easy it should be for others to know about Ash's achievements, and even then only Serena seemed to take notice besides accomplices that were there at the scene (eg. Clemont, Bonnie, Prof Sycamore). I mean the likes of Brock and Misty are only known for their current professions, not for helping Ash save the planet who knows how many times.

Team Skull's entire reason for picking a fight with Ilima was due to Tupp's past relationship with him and his (Tupp's) jealousy of Ilima's popularity back when they were students. The jealous character might not have been one of the main characters, but jealousy still made the plot eventful. Ash and his friends really had no reason to be jealous or skeptical of Ilima. Even if someone had claimed Ilima was the best Trainer the school had ever seen, Ash would be too busy overcome with the desire to challenge him to a Pokémon battle to be jealous or skeptical of him.

The fact that Ilima was so pleasant (and actually a bit modest, going by his speech patterns) might have helped. He wasn't showing off to make the students look bad. He was just satisfying their curiosity regarding the legends surrounding him. Notice his expression when Ash and the others asked him to verify the legends.

True but I think that's why the first half of the episode was pretty dull, they needed an antagonist around to make it interesting, which is rare for an SM episode I will admit. Not that I think it's out of character for Ash to not be jealous, it's one of the better preserved elements of his character development throughout the show.

Oh well, it's nice to see a bad guy have a meaningful role at least.

Last edited:

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Ironically the one time Ash bragged about a past achievement, someone was around to debunk it and make him look like a fraud.

Brock and Misty still give Ash a hard time over something that happened 20 years ago. XD