• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ill-Will Hunting! (513)

Ash-kid

Ash-kid
I loved that Gary returned to this episode.
J was so mean to the friends, but it was great that they have saved the Shieldon.

KGB13

Man of Mystery
Sooo happy to see Gary again, he's one of my favorite characters. It was also really cool to see Electivire and Blastoise too since they're 2 of my top favorite pokemon. Overall this was a very cool episode, I liked it a lot.

Willow's Tara

The Bewitched
It was nice to see Gary again not to mention Electivire, Blastoise and Umbreon (It was in this episode right?).

Hunter J was of course again interesting and quite a badass villain, I think out of all villains she's the best at being a villain (I haven't seen the TC episodes past the Cressila VS Darkrai episode so I don't know about them yet). It makes me wonder where all these so called extinct Pokemon come from exactly. I guess cloned or in the fossil restoration but it's odd there seems to be so many,.

wind21

All right. I'm skipping a few episodes since the last one. dp 42, dp 43, and dp 44 are fillers.

One difference b/w the Hoenn region and the Sinnoh region is that while the Hoenn region had the attitude of something completely new, Sinnoh draws upon a few familiar things: a fair amount of the new pokemon are just evolutions for pokemon already known from prior regions, and then Gary's here. I think the way Paul battled Ash in their first battle, using Elekid's Protect to defend against Pikachu's Volt Tackle (which is exactly the same thing Gary did with Electrivire against Pikachu at the very end of the Battle Frontier), demonstrated that Gary wasn't going to be needed too much in terms of being a rival for Ash- Paul is already a technical trainer. So, I suppose the question is what can Gary add to the dp show besides a nostalgia factor. Well, his biggest contribution to me is that he makes apparent a difference b/w Ash's and Dawn's characters. Gary is Ash's Zoey (insulting thought, isn't it?), someone who freely gives Ash what always seems to be sound and logical advice, earning praise from Brock and Dawn. The only problem is Ash doesn't appreciate it. Not even a little. Dawn may admire Zoey to no ends, but Ash isn't the admiring type. He's much more confident in his skills, and he sees no reason why Gary should think of himself as a superior trainer or someone better at tactics (unlike Dawn with Zoey; Dawn straightaway wants to see Zoey as a superior coordinator). I really like this, b/c I think I'm somewhat that way myself. I have a bad habit of rolling my eyes when people heap praise on my peers for just "sounding" good, if that's understandable (like Ash, people don't really heap praise on me, either, so I don't have to worry about that). Of course, Gary is aware of Ash's indignation and provokes him a little out of fun, although he doesn't do that on purpose this episode-this one is much too serious for that.

The best thing about this episode is that Ash isn't completely wrong about his reckless style, despite how Dawn and Brock respect Gary's cool, logical plans. One Sheildon does get captured by Hunter J, and Ash's quick surprise actions at the end of the episode allow him to recover it. As Hunter J is escaping, though, Ash is enraged and has to be held back by Gary. And Gary is right to do so; the 2 could have gotten in serious trouble if they had attempted to stop Hunter J and her many minions from leaving. Gary and Ash needed each other for this rescue to work, as they balanced each other out. But while Gary takes the logical approach, you still have to appreciate the more instinctive reaction from Ash; he knows more horrible wrong-doings will be done if Hunter J escapes, and he wants to stop it. And well, I like Ash for that. That's why he's an amazing character, b/c his emotions and intentions are easy to read when something means a lot to him.

Gary makes a point of giving Ash credit for being who he is at the end of the episode (saying how important it was in rescuing Shelldon), and that's neat to see, especially b/c Ash is a little surprised. Gary probably realizes that part of Ash's annoyance with him is that everyone (here, Brock and Dawn) acts like he is the smarter guy of the 2. For sure, Brock and Dawn were not going to say, "Way to go Ash" for what happened in this episode.

Last edited:

saar

Shiny Flygon
I was happy when Garry has returned to this episode. He's a good resercher.
The second J episode was less good than the first, but still, it was cool.

Lance The Champ

The Aura Guardian
Wow Hunter J is so formidable and pretty cool too

G50

No longer posting
This episode was ok... It was cool to see Shieldon for the 1st time. It was interesting to see J again and her cruel way of capturing/stealing Pokemon and turning them into Sandlike statues. It was cool to see Gary and Electivire back, helping to save the day. It was cool to see Drapion for the 1st time. Drapion is really strong. It was great to see an Umbreon again, my favorite Eevee evolution.

30/100

I was so happy to see Gary. He may have been arrogant in the begining, but he's a hardworking trainer - something Ash can learn (although he has trained very hard since the Johto League) I love his Umbreon, great episode- glad to see them working together

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I was glad that Gary at least used his Blastoise, Umbreon and Electivire here. Seeing Professor Rowan again was neat as well; I had forgotten just how involved he was in DP. I was actually pleased to see Ash use his head and command Pikachu to strike Hunter J's arm gadget thing, and I wish we had learned more about J's client. Decent episode overall.

KingMinun

Dawn/Sinnoh Fan!
Rewatched this episode and I've got to say its quite a cracking episode.
Loved that Gary returned in DP, and this episode is quite interesting seeing Gary here protecting the Shieldon using his Blastoise and Umbreon which brings in nostalgia. It was also interesting seeing him interact with Dawn, when the characters old and new meet I always feel like it seems forced, but the interactions between these two seem quite natural. I think they both respect each other a fair bit, in fact seeing these two together, I wouldn't mind seeing a special with these two working together or even travelling together, I think that would be quite interesting.

JudySpell

Banned
I love Gary Oak to death seriously but even I couldn't like his role here. Shieldon just aren't great and only Pokemon Hunter J was likable. 5/10

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
I liked seeing Gary and his Electivire again, plus Hunter J was up to her old tricks again. The Shieldons were so much cuter than in the games and I liked how far Gary and Ash went to protect them from Hunter J's grasp. :D

I didn't blame Pokemon Hunter J for wanting those Shieldon since they're fossil Pokemon and are rare. My favorite part was when Gary arrived.

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
I have no idea why the writers added Gary here when he wasn't even important anymore. I'm just glad that my darling J returned, even if the Shieldon didn't seem worth the effort to steal.

ZilverLox

Banned
Nice to see Gary again. I thought all the lecturing to Ash about recklessness seemed a little hypocritical, since Gary wasn't exactly known for anything but boasting. Yeah, he had more talent than Ash, but he could still be under the same vices that Ash was. At least, Gary seems to be maturing though. Shame he matures more off-screen than Ash does in front of the camera.

Leonhart

Imagineer
The animation in this episode was more gorgeous than usual, especially the shots of Mt. Tengan in the background. I was delighted to see Hunter J again, as well as Shigeru and Nanakamado-hakase. Shigeru's Elekible was impressive, and the banter between J's henchmen and the Rocket-dan was amusing. The wild Tatetops herd was dull, however.

Daizy

I call you honey
Golbat beating Pikachu? Pikachu should really be able to take on a Golbat of all Pokemon. Gary's battling skills have weakened over the last few years. I can't believe Blastoise didn't battle that well this episode.

Leonhart

Imagineer
In hindsight, I wonder how the episode's plot would've been different if Shigeru hadn't been involved. I'd go as far as to claim that had he not shown up, J could've smuggled all those Tatetops successfully.

Shieldon was a really cute Pokemon, but I'm surprised that no one mentioned that it was a Fossil Pokemon. I liked how Gary used that laptop as a way to communicate with Professor Rowan who we also haven't seen in a while. And that brings me to the main event, Pokemon Hunter J. I loved her first appearance and this one was great also.